Being interested in potentially upgrading to this device, I'm concerned about the conflicting reviews regarding this phone. I'm seeing very positive reviews saying the device is well built with great performance and a solid camera, then I'm seeing another review state the absolute opposite. Now, personally, I'm inclined to believe the negative reviews are fuelled by negative attitude and perception of Blackberry and their products but to say something that isn't actually true - according to the positive reviews - borders on illegal as far as I'm concerned when journalists are expected to use their position of influence only to report facts and not lies (not that the media is saturated with anything less usually).

Anyway, who else is dissapointed in this conflict of reviews?

The only thing that actually disappoints me about the Priv based on the reports is that it sports a solo only speaker setup. Being a current Z30 user I really wanted this phone to be a dual speaker stereo set up for a richer fuller sound experience in landscape. Apart from that the device looks solid.

Posted via CB10
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    11-06-15 06:23 AM
    Being interested in potentially upgrading to this device, I'm concerned about the conflicting reviews regarding this phone. I'm seeing very positive reviews saying the device is well built with great performance and a solid camera, then I'm seeing another review state the absolute opposite. Now, personally, I'm inclined to believe the negative reviews are fuelled by negative attitude and perception of Blackberry and their products but to say something that isn't actually true - according to the positive reviews - borders on illegal as far as I'm concerned when journalists are expected to use their position of influence only to report facts and not lies (not that the media is saturated with anything less usually).

The only thing that actually disappoints me about the Priv based on the reports is that it sports a solo only speaker setup. Being a current Z30 user I really wanted this phone to be a dual speaker stereo set up for a richer fuller sound experience in landscape. Apart from that the device looks solid.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you. Several sites are bashing it because it is a BlackBerry. We should have expected that, though. F em, post good reviews like Android Central's on your social media. Get the word out.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:54 AM
    Several sites are bashing it because it is a BlackBerry
    I'm surprised bashing brands even became a cool thing to do.
    11-06-15 06:56 AM
    I'm not one myself that actually goes off of reviews. I mean I read them for general consensus, but by no means do I base my decisions off of what I read, especially since there are many biased opinions out there and many as a whole just want to see BlackBerry fail.

Remember you can purchase the phone and easily return it if it does not fit your needs. Keep on mind here the only review that should matter of course is your own

Posted via CB10
    miketko and DolemiteDONS like this.
    11-06-15 06:57 AM
    Yah I spent some time going to different tech sites, and some you can really tell they didn't look at the phone more than 5 seconds (gizmodo) then others did a fairly decent write up like techinsider.io

I haven't been a fan of the main sites like Engadget, Cnet for years.. but I do really like technobuffalo, they always seem to write good honest articles and don't just copy and paste what the other guy said...

I'm most looking forward to technobuffalo review and I refuse to give sites like Cnet my click... already made the mistake of reading the gizmodo and they didn't deserve to get a click

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom*-*
    11-06-15 06:58 AM
    I generally go off YouTube video tutorials, no opinions, just facts and showing me what it can do. Now when it comes to battery life and camera shots I read user posts.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:59 AM
    All of the reviews like the fact that it's an Android. They seem to imply that they would never consider a BlackBerry 10 device.
    11-06-15 07:00 AM
    I'm not one myself that actually goes off of reviews. I mean I read them for general consensus, but by no means do I base my decisions off of what I read, especially since there are many biased opinions out there and many as a whole just want to see BlackBerry fail.

Remember you can purchase the phone and easily return it if it does not fit your needs. Keep on mind here the only review that should matter of course is your own

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I know enough about phones that I can make my own informed decision and be happy with what I buy. What bugs me is its the smaller sites that seem to be writing the good reviews and the popular sites writing the bad reviews. For people who aren't as tech knowledgeable sites like gizmodo are going to make those people stick with the status quo Samsung iPhone or maybe nexus

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom*-*
    11-06-15 07:01 AM
    That's probably because Apple and / or Samsung are probably really large advertising partners. They probably spend many many thousands each month for impressions.

You don't bite the hand that feeds.

I work in media, I know how it works.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 07:14 AM
    Now, personally, I'm inclined to believe the negative reviews are fuelled by negative attitude and perception of Blackberry
    What really is there to discuss? You've decided that the world is a certain way so you can safely ignore the bad reviews.
    11-06-15 07:30 AM
    The only reviews I will respect will be from the professionals that are objective from companies like IDC, Forrester, Gartner.
    Do you think a CIO buys software or hardware based on a magazine, blog review? No and nor should any of you. Go test it yourself and talk to others that have it.
    Apple fan boys, Android fan boys and BlackBerry fan boys. If you are a writer and use a certain phone you will always justify why you chose that phone in your articles. These guys are amateurs and would never be a professional analyst at one of the companies listed above.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-06-15 07:40 AM
    What really is there to discuss? You've decided that the world is a certain way so you can safely ignore the bad reviews.
    Ignoring bad reviews is one thing, it's more to what to take out of it. It's really hard to take a review seriously when it associates the screen getting curved edges to "save humanity". Engadget's review literally said that. Or if you just get all the features and specs wrong right off the bat, which tells you aren't even serious about doing the review, just get it over with sort of deal.
    11-06-15 07:44 AM
    Ignoring bad reviews is one thing, it's more to what to take out of it. It's really hard to take a review seriously when it associates the screen getting curved edges to "save humanity". Engadget's review literally said that. Or if you just get all the features and specs wrong right off the bat, which tells you aren't even serious about doing the review, just get it over with sort of deal.
    That's fair enough but that's not the proposition - the proposition is that this is happening because of bias - if you have already decided that bad reviews are due to this then you have already decided it's a good phone and should just go and buy one (especially if you live in a country like mine where you can buy online and return within 14 days with no explanation).
    11-06-15 07:48 AM
    People need to remember that all of these sites are blogs. They are therefore subjective, not objective. The reviews are based on the perception of the specific individuals, not necessarily on the merits of the device. Frankly, the negative reviews are all clearly more focused on BlackBerry as a brand and company, and not on the device itself.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:00 AM
    People need to remember that all of these sites are blogs. They are therefore subjective, not objective. The reviews are based on the perception of the specific individuals, not necessarily on the merits of the device. Frankly, the negative reviews are all clearly more focused on BlackBerry as a brand and company, and not on the device itself.

Posted via CB10
    Not all of these are blogs, and many of these guys are doing reviews on a weekly basis. They kinda know there stuff.

It does just have only one speaker... right?
    The front camera is pretty basic... right?
    It doesn't have a fingerprint or iris scanner..... right?
    Benchmarks are benchmarks.... right?

But mostly what I've seen is positive, but the price is something most all are questioning... and that is their "professional" opinion, and it matches many post here. So is it bashing BlackBerry?

Now comments like why didn't they use a full keyboard? Or it doesn't have BlackBerry Blend? Those are subjective and based on the reviewer experience or bias. Example Bla1ze review is very different from most of the other review... because of his experience with BB10 and BlackBerry in general.

I think some here are just overly sensitive. The PRIV is a great phone! But it isn't the BEST phone out there, unless you just want a keyboard. Did you expect something different than that?
    11-06-15 08:24 AM
    That's fair enough but that's not the proposition - the proposition is that this is happening because of bias - if you have already decided that bad reviews are due to this then you have already decided it's a good phone and should just go and buy one (especially if you live in a country like mine where you can buy online and return within 14 days with no explanation).
    It has very little to do with any personal decision to disregard bad reviews. It is simply the application of critical thinking, which reveals overt bias in some reviews.

Bias can work both ways; Pro and Con. Spotting it isn't hard.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:29 AM
    It has very little to do with any personal decision to disregard bad reviews. It is simply the application of critical thinking, which reveals overt bias in some reviews.

Bias can work both ways; Pro and Con. Spotting it isn't hard.

Posted via CB10
    Every single review written by a person will have a bias - every single one - humans are incapable of doing anything else - its wired into us.
    11-06-15 08:32 AM
    Every single review written by a person will have a bias - every single one - humans are incapable of doing anything else - its wired into us.
    I agree but it is easy to spot what a particular reviewer's bias is.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:38 AM
    i am just afraid that the price will just be the one big hurdle facing the Priv, already most reviews are talking about it...that price needs to drop soon
    11-06-15 08:38 AM
    Find a reviewer who shares your biases and then listen to him. Easy.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:39 AM
    I agree but it is easy to spot what a particular reviewer's bias is.

Posted via CB10
    You'd think that but look around this place - anything that is not 100% complementary is down to 'paid bashers' in the same way their terrible stock market performance is down to mysterious figures working behind the scenes.
    11-06-15 08:39 AM
    i am just afraid that the price will just be the one big hurdle facing the Priv, already most reviews are talking about it...that price needs to drop soon
    If it doesn't sell, the price will come down. That's the easiest thing to fix.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:40 AM
    You'd think that but look around this place - anything that is not 100% complementary is down to 'paid bashers' in the same way their terrible stock market performance is down to mysterious figures working behind the scenes.
    You understand that this is a fan site, right?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    You're kinda asking for alot in regards to the speaker but if that's your main buying point the nexus 6p might be for you

In regards to the bad reviews, you're right to think its fueled by the negative image of BlackBerry. Last time they based bb10 and now they will find anything to bash now that they can't bash the OS and all eco system
    11-06-15 08:44 AM
    If it doesn't sell, the price will come down. That's the easiest thing to fix.

Posted via CB10
    yes, but $ 410 or $300 on a contract is just too much and not appealing at all considering other high end phone are cheaper. BB should not wait too long to drop the price, time is of the essence and sales are extremely important. lost sales or gone forever.
    11-06-15 08:45 AM
34 12