I've got both models in my possession right now (pre ordered the US set, which just arrived, but found a local seller last week selling the UK set in Singapore). Just to get it out there at the beginning, I'm a massive supporter of BlackBerry so please don't misinterpret anything I'm typing as 'hate' etc! (As if you couldn't tell as I sit here with two Privs lol) These are my experiences with the UK set with build AAC724 over the past 9 days (with all updates installed), and I'll be comparing them with the US build AAC826 over the coming days.

UK STV100-4 (Build AAC724)

Software / Performance

- First 3 days was a nightmare with performance and battery life. For me, the Hub was painfully slow and didn't push emails for up to 12 hours at a time. I've since learned that these initial performance issues were likely due to a) Using the Content Transfer app, b) Syncing email to the Hub. BlackBerry informed me that syncing large amounts of email will basically cripple the device. These functions currently don't work well at all. I am very aware that phones take a few days to settle down upon initial set up, but these performance issues were way beyond that. I reset the phone, set it up from scratch and disabled the hub. Performance was much better after that. Ended up getting over 5 hours of screen on time which was fine for me.

- I didn't feel like I lost much function disabling the Hub. the Hub on Android is unfortunately nothing compared to the efficiency on BB10. I find the Android notification system is some sort of Hub in itself - easy to access and displays all the notifications in one place. I streamlined my Android notifications to basically only include things I want to see. The one bit of function you can't replicate is searching through all your communications after you view the notification.

- 'Much better' performance after disabling the Hub is unfortunately still not 'great' performance. When it's running cool it runs very quick, but as soon as there is some heat (and any sustained use will cause heat) things slow down substantially.

- The physical keyboard, like most of the phone, is nice when it feels like working. When the phone is hot though, it lags. Missing key presses is common, especially when typing double letters. 'All' becomes 'Al' etc. At first I thought it was me getting used to the smaller keyboard but I'm pretty sure it's a software issue now. This was my single biggest issue. Disabling the hub helped this somewhat. I think it's a software issue.

- Camera is slow compared to other flagships, but still fast enough for me. The camera software definitely struggles with exposure though. On Auto mode, it's random whether it will completely light up a scene or make it dark, and whites are often overblown. I'm sure they can fix this with software though. Not a deal breaker.

- Can't use SD card for anything other than saving photos directly to it. Can't copy things to or from it with any file explorer.

- Inconsistent application of the alt key. Sometimes you have to hold it down to activate numbers, sometimes you don't. It's not big deal but was jarring at first.

- I only play a few games right now but it really struggled with Sonic Racing Transformed. Frame rate couldn't have been higher than 20fps, and it crashed multiple times. I gave up lol. Words with Friends worked fine though.

- I'm pretty sure most of these issues will be fixed over time with software updates.

Hardware / Build Quality

- There is a definite empty gap between the soft back (which feels great in the hand) and the phone's innards. It didn't bother me, I quite liked pressing down on it I can see how this would bother some though. It definitely doesn't feel 'premium'.

- I LOVE the screen. Not the brightest but wow.

- Keyboard is mushy and without much travel. I know this was all probably necessary to fit it in to the form factor, but coming from a Classic it doesn't feel great. Any keyboard is better than NO keyboard, though!

- I didn't have a 'click' or when I pressed down on the touch screen like some people have been complaining. Sure, if I pressed down hard I could hear some bits and pieces moving but hey, there lots of mechanisms in a slider phone. I guess it's normal? Whatever it is it didn't bother me.

- Overall for the money the phone does feel a bit budget. It's hard to explain, but pick it up next to a Classic or Passport and you'll see what I mean. The screen is so impressive but then things like the power and volume keys are tiny and obviously cheap. The squishy back doesn't help. It's strange... but not a deal breaker. Somehow it still feels good

US STV100-1 (AAC826)

I'm just setting this one up now and letting everything settle down. First thing I've noticed is the back of the phone can't be pressed down as much. Guessing this is the wireless charging unit which fills the gap! +1

ASIA STV100-3 (AAC724)

Did a side by side between my UK unit and the demo units they have in Singapore. With exactly the same screen display settings the UK unit appeared to be a lot warmer, and dare I say brighter, than both the units I tested in Singapore. I guess there's no better or worse - depends on preference - but thought it was worth noting nonetheless.

Thoughts and comments welcome!
    11-26-15 09:29 PM
    Turn off 'adaptive brightness' for an ultra bright display.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-26-15 09:53 PM
    I want an STV100-1 for wireless charging. They all should have that.

11-26-15 09:54 PM
    Turn off 'adaptive brightness' for an ultra bright display.

That's the first thing I do on every phone

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:55 PM
    Hi,
    What are the currency symbols for each model you tested? Any idea what the STV100-5 is. Mentioned here as having wireless charging.

Thanks

W.
    03-30-16 07:30 PM
    Hi,
    What are the currency symbols for each model you tested? Any idea what the STV100-5 is. Mentioned here as having wireless charging.

Thanks

W.
    Verizon?

03-31-16 06:44 AM
    Verizon?

Verizon is 2.
    03-31-16 09:12 AM
    For me it doesn't make sense to have BlackBerry but no Hub. I even have installed one on my Note 5.

Yes there are a lot of fixes needed from software side as it's not optimised in sense. I usually like my notifications bar to be clear but Hub as the main place to go back if I've left anything unread.

For your SD card limitations, it's Android level restrictions. However if you use a File Explorer that's has been implemented well, it need access and can do the copy paste etc. I use FX Explorer (paid for the add ons), and it let's me do anything I want. I'm sure there would be free options but I liked the overall interface.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-31-16 11:46 AM
    - Can't use SD card for anything other than saving photos directly to it. Can't copy things to or from it with any file explorer.
    Try Solid Explorer (Classic). This is due to some apps not coded properly for Lollipop and beyond where Google changed the system where no app can access the external storage directly and must request the permission.
    03-31-16 06:26 PM