Hi all, I have been trying to improve battery life/overall performance and I see I have lots of apps open in my multi-task view. I have kept it like such because I found out from research that it was bad to close apps from these sources:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-you-...-battery-life/
    How to close apps on Android, and why you shouldn't most of the time
    https://www.wired.com/2016/03/closin...-things-worse/

But casually going through some posts I have read about some users who close their apps as if they are still on BB10. For those users in particular and other users included, for how long have you been doing this and have you been seeing any decline in performance?
    08-03-17 01:34 PM
    i have gone back and forth on this myself. while sitting idle battery will drain faster with many apps open; visibly more than having one or no apps open. In contrast, while using the device, I believe that having said apps open and switching to them as opposed to opening them from a closed state seems to be better on battery life. I guess the answer lies in how much one uses their phone.
    08-03-17 05:15 PM
    i have gone back and forth on this myself. while sitting idle battery will drain faster with many apps open; visibly more than having one or no apps open. In contrast, while using the device, I believe that having said apps open and switching to them as opposed to opening them from a closed state seems to be better on battery life. I guess the answer lies in how much one uses their phone.
    Yeah I found this to be true in my phone's early days, but since I have many apps open I am afraid to cut them all down just to see if it will improve battery. I don't want to decrease my battery's lifelong potential for the future.

However there are some apps I have open I haven't used in a few weeks. I might start with those and see what happens.
    08-03-17 05:42 PM
    I think it comes down to ram. If you have just one or two apps hanging out in recents I don't think it would be a big drain, but not much after that it starts to have to juggle apps and it starts to drain battery significantly. The system apps take a big portion right off the top to begin with.
    08-03-17 09:05 PM
    I use Arrow launcher now and one of its coolest features is a "RAM Booster" which basically clears all background apps out of memory without closing them. the app icon shows memory usage % real time.
    08-03-17 09:19 PM
    I have begun the practice of not leaving apps in the recent screen, with the exception of the Hub and often Line. Most apps don't really cause an issue, but I have found a Browser will, depending on the website it is currently on, if any, and of course Facebook. I also have most apps restricted for background data. I regularly get 12+ hours and 4 hours of on screen time out of the Priv doing this.
    08-04-17 10:36 AM
    In my experience I do not see a difference in speed for an app opening when left in recents vs when not. I do however see a difference with more battery consumption with apps left in recent vs not. I haven't bothered trying to figure which apps may be responsible. I just clear out recents frequently.
    08-04-17 11:21 AM
    Thank you everyone for your replies, the information has been helpful.

Although, for the ones who have been saying they cleared out recents, how long have you been doing this since you had your Priv?
    08-06-17 12:41 AM
    I have tried both. I find that if my phone gets laggy it is because I have Google Maps or numerous apps in the recent apps. I tend to close them all out. it seems to work better for me.
    08-06-17 07:28 PM
    Literally since day one of purchase last year I have been closing all apps when not in use and I'm still having plenty of battery at the end of a work day that starts at 6 and the phone getting plugged in by 23:00. No issues yet, so I have no reason to not continue closing all apps.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-06-17 11:27 PM
    Thank you all for the responses! This has given me a lot of information to dwell on. I will mix up both styles and then safely compare.
    08-07-17 01:37 AM
    Although, for the ones who have been saying they cleared out recents, how long have you been doing this since you had your Priv?
    I've been doing it since I got the Priv at release back in 2015.
    No problems and good battery life.
    We really should leave the most used 3 or 4 apps open, but the difference in battery is minuscule and the extra fraction of a second to re-open the app is pretty minor.
    It's just so easy to hit 'Clear All', that it's habit.
    08-09-17 12:22 PM
    Thank you everyone for your replies, the information has been helpful.

I have only been doing it for the past couple of months. Where it makes the most difference, is with apps like Facebook, or a browser open to some page that will constantly refresh itself. The practice is also best coupled with restricting background data.
    08-09-17 01:35 PM
    The practice is also best coupled with restricting background data.
    Restricting background cellular data should be done with almost all apps regardless of whether or not you close them regularly.
    I emphasized cellular, because it does not restrict when connected to wifi.
    08-10-17 07:42 AM
    Restricting background cellular data should be done with almost all apps regardless of whether or not you close them regularly.
    I emphasized cellular, because it does not restrict when connected to wifi.
    I have almost all apps set to restrict data. I only allow a few that privilege. Most don't need it.
    08-10-17 12:35 PM
    I've been doing it since I got the Priv at release back in 2015.
    No problems and good battery life.
    We really should leave the most used 3 or 4 apps open, but the difference in battery is minuscule and the extra fraction of a second to re-open the app is pretty minor.
    It's just so easy to hit 'Clear All', that it's habit.
    Hmm but this troubles me because from the Wired article this is coming straight from the overseers of both iOS and Android OS. If they would know better about it, it's them:

In the last week or so, both Apple and Google have confirmed that closing your apps does absolutely nothing to improve your battery life. In fact, says Hiroshi Lockheimer, the VP of Engineering for Android, it might make things worse.
    08-12-17 06:20 AM
    I have almost all apps set to restrict data. I only allow a few that privilege. Most don't need it.
    How would one do this? Is this global or must be done in each individual app's settings?
    08-12-17 06:21 AM
    How would one do this? Is this global or must be done in each individual app's settings?
    Settings > Data usage > make sure 'queue cellular data' is ON, then scroll through the apps, anything that doesn't need to be logging onto the cellular network and "calling home" or what ever they do > toggle 'Restrict app background data' to ON.
    Note that this does not prevent them from using wifi in the background.
    When you open an app, it is no longer background and will operate normally, when you close it, it becomes background again and can no longer access the cellular network.
    They have recently added a confirmation screen to most, if not all of them, saying it might not work normally if restricted. This is Android, so using your data, battery and hardware resources to connect and report whatever that app dev wants to know, is considered 'normal', so just confirm if you are pretty sure.
    You'll also find it to be a pain in the behind, every time you restrict and hit the back button, you are at the top of the screen again and have to scroll down again.

Also note that you can see, per app, how much foreground and background data it has used, on both cellular and wifi. This broken down into current period to date, and you can look at 3 previous 30 day periods.
    PHughes and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-12-17 08:27 AM
    Also note if you do not close an app, or hit the 'clear all', it is not background, and can do pretty much what it wants.
    Those who tested closing apps vs leaving open, were, I'm sure, using standard well written apps from honest dev's.
    If you leave your browser open, and on utube, which then decides to go into auto play, you can watch your battery decline and your data mount. If you use the browser a lot, it's marginally better to not close it, but make **** sure it's on a static screen.
    Some apps should be closed everytime, Gas Buddy for instance, you're better off closing it and taking the tiny hit on battery and the extra 1/2 second it takes to open it and let it check location and get pricing, vs leaving running and using data and battery between fill ups. Unless you are stopping to buy gas 3 or 4 times a day, in which case, leave it running.
    08-12-17 08:37 AM
    Wezard has responded, but I will add that I restrict cellular data app by app. Settings->Apps-> click on an app->Data usage-> slide the toggle to restrict background cellular data.
    08-12-17 12:22 PM
    Hmm but this troubles me because from the Wired article this is coming straight from the overseers of both iOS and Android OS. If they would know better about it, it's them:
    I don't actually close apps not in use solely for the purpose of battery life, I close apps to restrict unnecessary resource use . My Priv is just as quick and responsive since the day I bought it.

I partially attribute that to keeping caches clear, periodic resets and closing unused apps. Those may not be contributing factors but it seems to be more responsive and smoother since I started those practices as compared to when I wasn't. Possibly pure coincidence but I don't think so. Works for me.
    Wezard and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-12-17 12:57 PM
    Just closing apps doesn't, but restricting background data can, it depends on the app. If an app is consuming a lot of background data, that takes power. A browser left open to a page that constantly refreshes, can consume a lot of battery power.

I do not force stop apps, since it really is pointless, and has limited benefit. I do keep most of them cleared from the recent screen, and restrict background data.

In a perfect world, with well written apps, form reputable developers, leaving the apps open should have no impact, however, that is not the world we live in. If you have 200 apps all using background data, apps that really don't need to use background data, that all adds up.
    Wezard and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-12-17 02:22 PM
    The Wired article, and many others are correct, in theory, but those guys have obviously never left an airline tracking/scheduling app, or gas buddy type app open. Real world experience says lots of apps need to be closed.
    And savings from leaving some of the 'safe' apps, like Hub, Calender and Phone/Dialer open, really is tiny. Unless you just really have to have that 0.5% of battery at 3am, don't worry about it and do what works for you.
    And on those few occasions when I need to switch back and forth between apps, it's extremely irritating to have half a dozen apps open on my recent's screen.
    I have Zero issues with battery life, or lag, and I consistently hit the 'Clear All'. Sometimes even when I don't really want to.
    08-13-17 06:13 AM
    Settings > Data usage > make sure 'queue cellular data' is ON, then scroll through the apps, anything that doesn't need to be logging onto the cellular network and "calling home" or what ever they do > toggle 'Restrict app background data' to ON.
    Note that this does not prevent them from using wifi in the background.
    When you open an app, it is no longer background and will operate normally, when you close it, it becomes background again and can no longer access the cellular network.
    They have recently added a confirmation screen to most, if not all of them, saying it might not work normally if restricted. This is Android, so using your data, battery and hardware resources to connect and report whatever that app dev wants to know, is considered 'normal', so just confirm if you are pretty sure.
    You'll also find it to be a pain in the behind, every time you restrict and hit the back button, you are at the top of the screen again and have to scroll down again.

Also note that you can see, per app, how much foreground and background data it has used, on both cellular and wifi. This broken down into current period to date, and you can look at 3 previous 30 day periods.
    Also note if you do not close an app, or hit the 'clear all', it is not background, and can do pretty much what it wants.
    Those who tested closing apps vs leaving open, were, I'm sure, using standard well written apps from honest dev's.
    If you leave your browser open, and on utube, which then decides to go into auto play, you can watch your battery decline and your data mount. If you use the browser a lot, it's marginally better to not close it, but make **** sure it's on a static screen.
    Some apps should be closed everytime, Gas Buddy for instance, you're better off closing it and taking the tiny hit on battery and the extra 1/2 second it takes to open it and let it check location and get pricing, vs leaving running and using data and battery between fill ups. Unless you are stopping to buy gas 3 or 4 times a day, in which case, leave it running.
    Wezard has responded, but I will add that I restrict cellular data app by app. Settings->Apps-> click on an app->Data usage-> slide the toggle to restrict background cellular data.
    Thanks for these tips. I'm sure to try them out after I'm done charging my Priv.
    08-14-17 07:06 AM
    I don't actually close apps not in use solely for the purpose of battery life, I close apps to restrict unnecessary resource use . My Priv is just as quick and responsive since the day I bought it.

I partially attribute that to keeping caches clear, periodic resets and closing unused apps. Those may not be contributing factors but it seems to be more responsive and smoother since I started those practices as compared to when I wasn't. Possibly pure coincidence but I don't think so. Works for me.
    Thanks for your data. I have been clearing cache and resetting but not closing. I'll be trying it.

Just closing apps doesn't, but restricting background data can, it depends on the app. If an app is consuming a lot of background data, that takes power. A browser left open to a page that constantly refreshes, can consume a lot of battery power.

I do not force stop apps, since it really is pointless, and has limited benefit. I do keep most of them cleared from the recent screen, and restrict background data.

In a perfect world, with well written apps, form reputable developers, leaving the apps open should have no impact, however, that is not the world we live in. If you have 200 apps all using background data, apps that really don't need to use background data, that all adds up.
    That makes logical sense.

The Wired article, and many others are correct, in theory, but those guys have obviously never left an airline tracking/scheduling app, or gas buddy type app open. Real world experience says lots of apps need to be closed.
    And savings from leaving some of the 'safe' apps, like Hub, Calender and Phone/Dialer open, really is tiny. Unless you just really have to have that 0.5% of battery at 3am, don't worry about it and do what works for you.
    And on those few occasions when I need to switch back and forth between apps, it's extremely irritating to have half a dozen apps open on my recent's screen.
    I have Zero issues with battery life, or lag, and I consistently hit the 'Clear All'. Sometimes even when I don't really want to.
    True points. But I also take into consideration from the articles that the creators of Android said they built it to know when to close out apps for you and the you as the user need not to worry about closing them. Because the Priv runs Android, I took to these words and never closed out any apps.
    08-14-17 07:22 AM
27 12