I'm pretty sure Chrome performs better where as the BlackBerry 10 browser struggles with Javascript heavy sites. So I disagree.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 06:45 PM
    Android has tons of browsers. Unlike BB10, Android is not limited.
    10-25-15 06:57 PM
    They should have ported the BlackBerry 10 browser to Android.

All the Android browsers are slower at loading websites, have a 300ms interaction delay and have a delay when panning websites. The BB10 browser is superior.

Also Chrome tracks all your web history. There's no privacy with Chrome.

Heck even Firefox would have been a better choice for the default browser. It allows addons like Adblock, HTTPs Everywhere, Ghostery and doesn't automatically track your usage.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Chrome on my Nexus 6 is faster 90+% of the time than BB10 Browser on my SE PP, so...you're incorrect.

10-25-15 07:32 PM
    Pages load instantly on BB10 browser. I can't say the same about any Android competitor browsers.
    Chrome on Nexus faster than BB Browser on Passport. Hands down.

10-25-15 07:34 PM
    How does Google get away with that? It's so anticompetitive and antitrust. Didn't Microsoft get sued in Europe and lost over the same behavior in Windows?

For the reasons in the post you quoted, obviously. It's not forced upon the users. You really don't understand Android do you?

10-25-15 07:35 PM
    Chrome on my Nexus 6 is faster 90+% of the time than BB10 Browser on my SE PP, so...you're incorrect.

Because Chrome takes Javascript seriously... it makes the difference in performance because of that alone.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 07:36 PM
    You're overcooking things pretty badly mate... Isn't exactly like that. BB10 browser does well with HTML5, but is not instant (not even a overclocked desktop is) and other browsers aren't trailing much.

Here's against Iphone 6 at 1:58min the browsing speed
    Isn't any faster, if anything is slower. And go check comparisons between Iphone and Android, it's neck and neck between the two. Android, iOS, BB10 and Windows all have very comparable browser speeds
    Sometimes people don't see what they don't want to see.

10-25-15 07:45 PM
    They should have ported the BlackBerry 10 browser to Android.

All the Android browsers are slower at loading websites, have a 300ms interaction delay and have a delay when panning websites. The BB10 browser is superior.

Also Chrome tracks all your web history. There's no privacy with Chrome.

Heck even Firefox would have been a better choice for the default browser. It allows addons like Adblock, HTTPs Everywhere, Ghostery and doesn't automatically track your usage.

The BB10 browser was an incredible achievement. It was the leading browser in HTML5 standards compliance achieving higher scores than the leading *desktop* browsers. It was the best webgl implementation, too.... before famo.us and such.

But, John Chen absolutely destroyed the browser project. No one from Torch Mobile is still at BlackBerry at this point. Just two years ago, BlackBerry had compiled the best browser team in mobile. Now, thanks to Chen, it really doesn't have a browser team.

And before someone gives be the whole bit about software being profitable, let's not forget how much value Chen had to destroy to get that pyric victory.

10-25-15 07:45 PM
    So question... on the Priv home screen you see the Google search bar. Can I config so it is Firefox with duckduckgo instead?
    The Google search bar doesn't go to a browser at all. It goes to the Google app. So no.

10-25-15 07:48 PM
    By "port", you mean re-writing it from the ground up and doing a better job than the likes of Mozilla and Google?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    LOL

10-25-15 07:49 PM
    The BB10 browser was an incredible achievement. It was the leading browser in HTML5 standards compliance achieving higher scores than the leading *desktop* browsers. It was the best webgl implementation, too.... before famo.us and such.

But, John Chen absolutely destroyed the browser project. No one from Torch Mobile is still at BlackBerry at this point. Just two years ago, BlackBerry had compiled the best browser team in mobile. Now, thanks to Chen, it really doesn't have a browser team.

And before someone gives be the whole bit about software being profitable, let's not forget how much value Chen had to destroy to get that pyric victory.

Interesting. So that's what happened. Thanks for the back story.

10-25-15 07:57 PM

But, John Chen absolutely destroyed the browser project.
    Let's not get too carried away.

I have always loved the BB10 browser. It HAS always done well on HTML5 and load time benchmarks - that's true.

However, its javascript times were half as good as the competition, and the lack of add-ons was always an issue.

Each browser has its good points and bad points.

Last edited by conite; 10-26-15 at 09:56 AM.
    10-25-15 07:59 PM
    Android has tons of browsers. Unlike BB10, Android is not limited.
    BB10 has several different browsers in its ecosystem, as well.

A system's default webview browser is important for webworks or hybrid app development. In that area, BB10 has been much better and much less limited than Android. That's partly because of projects many different companies have contributed to, but also because BB10 had a newer, more pro-web design. If Google were to have made Android today, it would probably be a lot more similar in approach to BB10 with HTML5 as a coequal SDK.

But, Chen lost or fired the Torch team and the Browser has received only minimal upgrades ever since. I think it's fair to say that the Priv uses Chrome because the BB10 browser has been dead for over a year. That's a big loss for mobile computing, but this is where we are. Hope the Priv doesn't sell and it shouldn't, but regardless, it's pretty clear that iOS is the next best step for BlackBerry users who want an app player first and devices like the Lumia 950XL or upcoming surface phone are best for those who want superior core features like browser, phone, camera, continuum, etc. Priv offers a budget OS at a premium price.

10-25-15 08:39 PM
    Sometimes people don't see what they don't want to see.
    ...comparing a phone released one month ago to one released a year ago that wasn't running state-of-the-art SoC when it was released? Sure, go compare all you like. BlackBerry's browser is noted for the breadth of its support for Web standards, based on tests like rng.io. Compatibility is important and the... "analyst"... running those tests didn't even mention that of course many of the apps being tested were Android versions, not native, so there was the additional overhead of loading the Android VM... if you're doing a "Speed" test, use native apps etc. If you're talking about "quality of app store" then go ahead and show that apps run slower on BB10 because they're Android ports running on a VM.

Yes, if you are concerned about the performance of your mobile device, buy the device released last month, not the one released a year ago. How insightful.

I wonder what a comparison between the Passport and the iPhone 5S would show. Even running iOS 9, I think that would be a more fair comparison, but granted, the Passport is "the fastest" BB10 device there is, and that's not ever going to change. They should run this test again in 2018 when the iPhone 8S is out, compare it to the Passport, and see which will be faster. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the results!
    10-26-15 09:40 AM
    Of all the things BlackBerry had to have "done" to launch the PRIV.... I bet the browser was scratched off the list long ago.

Maybe if the PRIV is a success, and they have time for more tweaking and other apps. we will see a native BlackBerry branded browser.
    10-26-15 10:02 AM
    ...comparing a phone released one month ago to one released a year ago that wasn't running state-of-the-art SoC when it was released? Sure, go compare all you like. BlackBerry's browser is noted for the breadth of its support for Web standards, based on tests like rng.io. Compatibility is important and the... "analyst"... running those tests didn't even mention that of course many of the apps being tested were Android versions, not native, so there was the additional overhead of loading the Android VM... if you're doing a "Speed" test, use native apps etc. If you're talking about "quality of app store" then go ahead and show that apps run slower on BB10 because they're Android ports running on a VM.

Yes, if you are concerned about the performance of your mobile device, buy the device released last month, not the one released a year ago. How insightful.

I wonder what a comparison between the Passport and the iPhone 5S would show. Even running iOS 9, I think that would be a more fair comparison, but granted, the Passport is "the fastest" BB10 device there is, and that's not ever going to change. They should run this test again in 2018 when the iPhone 8S is out, compare it to the Passport, and see which will be faster. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the results!
    What are you talking about? Many in this thread have already described the limitations of the BB Browser vs. today's standards. Those limitations are becoming apparent. Chrome doesn't have those limitations. Therefore, in today's world, Chrome is a superior mobile browser.

I'm making a comparison about the state of things in today's world, and it is accurate.
    10-26-15 10:47 AM
    LMFAO! The good thing about the phone being android is you can use whatever browser you want. There are many in google play.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 10:52 AM
    This article provides some useful comparisons between Android browsers. No comparison with BB10 browser, of course.

With so many excellent choices available, I can't see why BlackBerry would try to reinvent the wheel. If the Priv is at all successful and it looks like BlackBerry has a future making Android devices, I could see Chen trying to buy one of these browser development houses, to add some sort of BlackBerry skin to the browser. And even that's a long shot, I think.
    10-26-15 11:28 AM
    Let's not get too carried away.

I have always loved the BB10 browser. It HAS always done well on HTML5 and load time benchmarks - that's true.

However, its javascript times were half as good as the competition, and the lack of add-ons was always an issue.

Each browser has its good points and bad points.

Yes. BlackBerry didn't spend anytime working on Javascript performance. To get around the lack of graphics in native apps, I sent in multiple JavaScript examples to bug reports and talked to contacts about the issues. The response was "won't fix". That is when I got my first clue that BB10 was going away. When you know of a bug and performance issues and you won't fix them, you either incompetent or you are dropping the product in the future.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-26-15 11:40 AM
    BB10 has several different browsers in its ecosystem, as well.

A system's default webview browser is important for webworks or hybrid app development. In that area, BB10 has been much better and much less limited than Android. That's partly because of projects many different companies have contributed to, but also because BB10 had a newer, more pro-web design. If Google were to have made Android today, it would probably be a lot more similar in approach to BB10 with HTML5 as a coequal SDK.

But, Chen lost or fired the Torch team and the Browser has received only minimal upgrades ever since. I think it's fair to say that the Priv uses Chrome because the BB10 browser has been dead for over a year. That's a big loss for mobile computing, but this is where we are. Hope the Priv doesn't sell and it shouldn't, but regardless, it's pretty clear that iOS is the next best step for BlackBerry users who want an app player first and devices like the Lumia 950XL or upcoming surface phone are best for those who want superior core features like browser, phone, camera, continuum, etc. Priv offers a budget OS at a premium price.

That is what I was trying to say in my other post. It was over a year ago where I made examples of performance issues with JavaScript/SVG. BlackBerry didn't care which would be an example of a product going away.
    10-26-15 11:43 AM
    I'm making a comparison about the state of things in today's world, and it is accurate.
    Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about standards support, not pure speed on devices that are from different generations.

BlackBerry 10 Web browser still has the broadest support for HTML5 / Javascript / CSS3 standards at least on rings 0 and 1 according to rng.io. If you have different tests you use, feel free to post the results.

These are the results for BB10 browser, showing full support for rings 0 and 1 (which no other browser that I have access to can match). BB10 browser is the only browser to have FULL support for rings 0 and 1, and with 211 successful tests on ring 2, BB10's ring 2 support is second only to Chrome on Android which had 215.

Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-img_20151026_121610.png

...and on Safari on iOS 9.1

Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-img_0086.png

...and on latest Chrome on iOS

Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-img_0087.png

...and on latest Chrome on Android 6, which is a close second to BlackBerry 10 on ring 1, and beats BB10 on ring 2.

Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-rng_chrome_marshmallow.png
    Attached Thumbnails Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-rng_chrome.png   Chrome on BlackBerry Priv is a bad option-rng_firefox.png  
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-26-15 at 12:04 PM.
    10-26-15 11:48 AM
    [QUOTE=RyanGermann;12020619]Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about standards support, not pure speed on devices that are from different generations.
    [QUOTE]

http://browserbench.org/JetStream/

I'm pretty sure this is what he's talking about.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-26-15 11:52 AM
    chrome is faster than bb10 browser. i had a test back then with my Z10 vs my gf's G2 and that thing loaded everything almost instantaneously. please show me real world test video on how a bb10 browser is faster than any other browser, not just benchmark scores in a test lab
    10-26-15 12:03 PM
    chrome is faster than bb10 browser. i had a test back then with my Z10 vs my gf's G2 and that thing loaded everything almost instantaneously. please show me real world test video on how a bb10 browser is faster than any other browser, not just benchmark scores in a test lab
    Need to compare equal hardware but we know that Chrome is faster on Javascript benchmarks.
    LG G2 is a much faster device than Z10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-26-15 12:07 PM

The iphone 6+ wasn't released last month....
    10-26-15 12:10 PM
56 123