The Blackberry Priv and Chen on Fox Business.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    11-06-15 05:05 PM
    I think he said there he is not going away from the phone business...
    11-06-15 05:06 PM
    I think he said there he is not going away from the phone business...
    Yes, he said I'm never gonna give up the phone business, and we have 'a range of products after this'...
    11-06-15 05:12 PM
    Yes, he said I'm never gonna give up the phone business, and we have 'a range of products after this'...
    As BlackBerry is in the hardware business to support its software products, I expect the products he was referring to will not be hardware.

We are still waiting to hear about Blend for the Priv and the BlackBerry Expetience Suite for Android.
    11-06-15 05:32 PM
    As BlackBerry is in the hardware business to support its software products, I expect the products he was referring to will not be hardware.

We are still waiting to hear about Blend for the Priv and the BlackBerry Expetience Suite for Android.
    Good point. But in the interview he talks about the potential of the success of the Priv to get them back in the game so to speak. I'd interpret that as hardware, but maybe the other products are software based.

Blend is coming I believe, was it Louks who said it's coming just didn't make it in time for the launch? It's already listed in the BlackBerry software suite packages, just a more recent confirmation.
    11-06-15 05:49 PM
    Man her voice is annoying

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 05:53 PM

MTBBguy likes this.
    11-06-15 05:57 PM
    Man her voice is annoying

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:02 PM
    Shoooot. I don't think any original BB10 devices got props like this. Well, I guess **** riding Android is the way to go. Smfh. Hope it sells though.

When he says they have new products after this, is he referring to devices and if so will it be Android based?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:33 PM
    ... When he says they have new products after this, is he referring to devices and if so will it be Android based?
    Remember BlackBerry is mainly a software company now and software products like Blend for the Priv and the BlackBerry Experience Suite for Android are already overdue. I doubt he was referring to hardware.
    11-06-15 06:42 PM
    Good interview.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:44 PM
    Remember BlackBerry is mainly a software company now and software products like Blend for the Priv and the BlackBerry Experience Suite for Android are already overdue. I doubt he was referring to hardware.
    Glad to see Mr. Chen so giddy. It's good seeing him talk about the future of BlackBerry Hardware.

I quoted your response because I think you're wrong. BlackBerry gets 40% of its revenue from hardware sales and software revenue isn't reaching projections thus far. It would be naive to think that somehow software revenue is going to replace hardware revenue any time soon.
    Software is the long-term strategy and it's going to take a couple of quarters to see an uptick on the bottom line. However, hardware can have an almost immediate result with one Home Run device.

The plan was never to get out of the phone business. He just spoke candidly when asked about potentially continuing to lose money in that division. John Chen is a very smart man. He's a turnaround, no THE turnaround expert who was hand picked by the Board of Directors to right the BlackBerry ship. Prem Watsa is a financial genius. He believes in BlackBerry and proved as much with his own money and the money of others that believe in his financial prowess. He hand picked Mr. Chen. For people that follow finance and/or technology, you can't find a better duo. I'm no expert but I'm smart enough to follow the industry leaders closely.

Mark my words: In a couple of years what BlackBerry is doing today and has done since Mr. Chen came on board will be a case study in Turnaround Stories.

By the way, his answer today was in direct response to a question about future phones. I think he was talking about Phones as well as other hardware.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-06-15 07:39 PM
    I interpret Chen's comments as being about handsets... but Android. I expect a Passport with Android is on deck.
    LuvULongTime and skibnik like this.
    11-06-15 08:48 PM
    I interpret Chen's comments as being about handsets... but Android. I expect a Passport with Android is on deck.
    For sure
    11-06-15 09:30 PM
    And hopefully it's the SE passport. Ohhhh baby
    11-06-15 09:31 PM
    I think you're going to see a whole line of them; the Priv will be the flagship device (at least for this generation) but there will likely be a somewhat-decontented, probably screen-only model out sometime next year at a moderately-lower price.
    Sparksx likes this.
    11-06-15 09:51 PM
    That was great. Good job talking about the device. Much improved since JC's original Priv presentation.

There are tons of people who should own this device. Go BlackBerry! Sell Sell Sell!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-06-15 10:00 PM
    'range of devices' sounds so awesome coming from him knowing it's BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:01 PM
    'Merica!
    MTBBguy likes this.
    11-06-15 10:02 PM
    That was one of the best interviews I've seen. She literally asked every question I would have. Makes up for the voice.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    11-06-15 10:10 PM
    Nice to see the excitement by the interviewer! Hasn't been the case the last couple of years when presenting new phones with the standard disclaimer by media folks of, "yeah, but....no apps...."
    11-06-15 11:54 PM
    OK, even though John Chen is a straight-shooter, this interview contains the most disingenuous thing that John Chen has ever said (aside from claiming that John Legere, T-Mobile CEO is a friend) at 2:20 "Android happens to be the ecosystem that we picked." Yeah, John, you narrowed it down to Android and iOS and decided that Android was the winner. LOL!
    11-07-15 06:33 PM
    I quoted your response because I think you're wrong. BlackBerry gets 40% of its revenue from hardware sales and software revenue isn't reaching projections thus far. It would be naive to think that somehow software revenue is going to replace hardware revenue any time soon. Software is the long-term strategy and it's going to take a couple of quarters to see an uptick on the bottom line. However, hardware can have an almost immediate result with one Home Run device.
    I agree. What I meant was that software (and services) is now the main focus for BlackBerry moving forward.

The plan was never to get out of the phone business. He just spoke candidly when asked about potentially continuing to lose money in that division.
    Again, I agree. Chen has made it clear that he wants a profitable hardware business to support sales of software and services.

By the way, his answer today was in direct response to a question about future phones. I think he was talking about Phones as well as other hardware.
    I think he was simply avoiding answering a direct question, as he has done many times. Now that BlackBerry has the Priv out the door, they need to finish some of the software products BlackBerry announced more than six months ago, not to mention, BBM video and Blend. Then maybe a new device. He has said there might be one or two new devices a year.
    11-07-15 10:47 PM
    Hope they have something brewing re movirtual and or multi-sim handsets.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 11:44 PM
    @BB-JAM215, I think we'll get the software that JC originally talked about- eventually. BlackBerry has been great in updating the OS and adding features that we request. I expect that to continue with Priv.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    11-08-15 12:54 AM
26 12