09-12-15 08:07 AM
131 123 ...
tools
    I know a lot of people here on CrackBerry seem to dislike the slider. In my opinion, it's going to be a major success. Please hear me out and really give this some thought.

Reasons I feel it will succeed:

1) Running Android

The mainstream market doesn't care about BB10. People want to have access to all apps without having to go to a niche internet forum to download several apps just to get the Play Store running.

2) Curved screen

It looks sexy.

3) Slider

I love having the option to use the touch screen when it's closed if all I want to do is send a quick text. If I plan on doing some serious typing, then pull out the keyboard and put it away when I'm done.

4) Vertical Slider

It's a small thing, but I like how I don't have to turn the phone sideways. Just pull it out of the pocket, slide out the keyboard, and walla.

5) Device will be premium

I only buy the best, which is why I automatically bought the Passport for $600. I have no problem paying a premium price for a premium device. You get what you pay for.

6) Lots of people are interested in the Slider

Have you been to r/Android recently? They can't praise the thing enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com..._from_evleaks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...roid_hub_like/

7) It's not a Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.

A lot of people are tired of the same glass slabs they're carrying around in their pocket. A modern BlackBerry with a keyboard that runs Android is the perfect breath of fresh air.

8) All carriers will carry it.

Thank god, I hate being restricted to AT&T and T-Mobile.

9) People who miss BlackBerry can get back on board.

I pull out my Passport all the time, and I've never gotten a negative reaction. You would be surprised how many people miss physical keyboards. Now that BlackBerry has made an extremely consumer friendly phone, BlackBerry can easily get back some of their lost customers. Especially once people see that it runs Android.

10) Saturated Android Market

There are no high spec keyboard Android phones on the market. It will have that niche entirely to itself. Sure, there's the Samsung add on keyboard, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Compare the Internets reaction to the Slider and the Samsung keyboard to see why.

11) It's not an all touch device

In a saturated Android market, releasing a phone that was exactly just like every other phone would have been terrible. A physical keyboard that's actually attached to the phone makes it the only of its kind in the Android world.

I think Chen & friends really nailed it it with this device, and that it's going to make a lot of money for the hardware division of the company. I showed my best friend the Slider, and he's buying it the day it comes out. And just look at all the people on r/Android who are excited for the device. I love BlackBerry and wish them the best, and I understand that sometimes things need to change in order to survive. If developing phones to run on Android is the pill I have to swallow to still have phones with physical keyboards, so be it.
    08-20-15 03:22 PM
    I know a lot of people here on CrackBerry seem to dislike the slider. In my opinion, it's going to be a major success. Please hear me out and really give this some thought.

1) Running Android

The mainstream market doesn't care about BB10. People want to have access to all apps without having to go to a niche internet forum to download several apps just to get the Play Store running.

2) Curved screen

It looks sexy.

3) Slider

I love having the option to use the touch screen when it's closed if all I want to do is send a quick text. If I plan on doing some serious typing, then pull out the keyboard and put it away when I'm done.

4) Vertical Slider

It's a small thing, but I like how I don't have to turn the phone sideways. Just pull it out of the pocket, slide out the keyboard, and walla.

I only buy the best, which is why I automatically bought the Passport for $600. I have no problem paying a premium price for a premium device. You get what you pay for.

A lot of people are tired of the same glass slabs they're carrying around in their pocket. A modern BlackBerry with a keyboard that runs Android is the perfect breath of fresh air.

I pull out my Passport all the time, and I've never gotten a negative reaction. You would be surprised how many people miss physical keyboards. Now that BlackBerry has made an extremely consumer friendly phone, BlackBerry can easily get back some of their lost customers. Especially once people see that it runs Android.

There are no high spec keyboard Android phones on the market. It will have that niche entirely to itself. Sure, there's the Samsung add on keyboard, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Compare the Internets reaction to the Slider and the Samsung keyboard to see why.

In a saturated Android market, releasing a phone that was exactly just like every other phone would have been terrible. A physical keyboard that's actually attached to the phone makes it the only of its kind in the Android world.

I think Chen & friends really nailed it it with this device, and that it's going to make a lot of money for the hardware division of the company. I showed my best friend the Slider, and he's buying it the day it comes out. And just look at all the people on r/Android who are excited for the device. I love BlackBerry and wish them the best, and I understand that sometimes things need to change in order to survive. If developing phones to run on Android is the pill I have to swallow to still have phones with physical keyboards, so be it.
    Glad you're optimistic. Can't say that I agree with any of your points though.

Time will certainly tell.
    08-20-15 03:29 PM
    I'll wait and see where the "chips" fall.... still a lot of rumors and assumptions going on.

But I will say I'm much more hopeful about the Slider than I was about the Passport.

I tried checking out our sister site AndroidCentral... doesn't seem to be very much excitement over there. And here on CrackBerry I'm not even sure how popular the form factor or the move to Android is.
    08-20-15 03:46 PM
    12) BlackBerry virtually had it's marketing hands tied due to the limited app availability on BB10.

Now that slider will be fully integrated with Android, they're going to tap in their 3+ billion stash and flood the airwaves.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 03:55 PM
    Optimism is fine but time will tell. The smartphone market appears to be reaching saturation if sales on other platforms are any evidence. A new slider is a pretty iffy proposition. BlackBerry is, was, and always will be my phone of choice but slider and Android are neither attractive. The slider form does not suit my usage. The Z30 will do me for a long time to come. If this one fails there is a spare in the drawer waiting for a sim card.

I worry about BB future if something does not change. Let us all hope this phone is a real winner. But optimism is not reigning in my mind.
    08-20-15 04:21 PM
    BlackBerry needs better Carrier update schedules.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 04:21 PM
    I'll wait and see where the "chips" fall.... still a lot of rumors and assumptions going on.

But I will say I'm much more hopeful about the Slider than I was about the Passport.

I tried checking out our sister site AndroidCentral... doesn't seem to be very much excitement over there. And here on CrackBerry I'm not even sure how popular the form factor or the move to Android is.
    No, not much on Android Central but a fair bit of excditement at Android Police: [Update: Teaser Video] BlackBerry Venice Android Slider Pops Up In A Few More Promo Pics, Allegedly Coming To All Major U.S. Carriers In November
    08-20-15 04:49 PM
    If it launches on all four carriers that will certainly be a great improvement. I like vertical sliders better than landscape. I agree. And I think Android is the way to go for the consumer. I hope they also do a second version running BlackBerry 10 as well. As rumored.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MO3iusONE and ayngling like this.
    08-20-15 04:52 PM
    Years ago I purchased a pair of BlackBerry Torch devices (9800 and 9810). To my regret, none of my friends nor colleagues were carrying such BlackBerry devices with sliding keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    08-20-15 05:31 PM

1) Running Android

2) Curved screen

It looks sexy.

3) Slider

4) Vertical Slider

good that you're looking at the brighter sides of things, but even Nokia is having a hard time after going android as well. There's not many that want a pkb and I don't think android or bb10 will change that, even going ios won't change that if possible. In order for them to come back, they need something that you is a must have and is new. They truly need to have the next best thing.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    08-20-15 05:40 PM
    They already have the next best thing. It's a passport or a z30 with bb10. If developers and BlackBerry had been able to close the app gap and advertised we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hands down best os I've used. Hated android. Love BlackBerry 10. I'll check out the slider but if I don't feel like I'm using os 10 I might as well look at other androids as well when my z30 dies. Don't care either way about the slider, do care about the os.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and David Tyler like this.
    08-20-15 05:47 PM
    We've all seen Android's hard KB on the CB news here. And if you go to an Apple store or website you will see Typo's hard KB for IPhones. So there is a market for it! It's for working people that need to squeeze every once of Productivity on a smartphone. So no, teenagers ain't the targeted audience.

No matter how you slice & dice it, a hard KB allows for better typing.

Combine that with availability of Android apps & The Productivity factor is thru the roof! Contrary to what fanbois say... Productivity does not stop or end with the Hub! It Doesn't! You need decent working apps to travel by air or road, you need a superior app for calendar & tasks all in one, not separate. You need apps to do your banking. Heck, you need decent apps to sell stuff on Craigslist or Reverb. Etc., etc.

It bears repeating.... Productivity does not stop or end with the Hub.
    skm67 likes this.
    08-20-15 05:55 PM
    We've all seen Android's hard KB on the CB news here. And if you go to an Apple store or website you will see Typo's hard KB for IPhones. So there is a market for it! It's for working people that need to squeeze every once of Productivity on a smartphone. So no, teenagers ain't the targeted audience.

No matter how you slice & dice it, a hard KB allows for better typing.

Combine that with availability of Android apps & The Productivity factor is thru the roof! Contrary to what fanbois say... Productivity does not stop or end with the Hub! It Doesn't! You need decent working apps to travel by air or road, you need a superior app for calendar & tasks all in one, not separate. You need apps to do your banking. Heck, you need decent apps to sell stuff on Craigslist or Reverb. Etc., etc.

It bears repeating.... Productivity does not stop or end with the Hub.
    There really hasn't been KB Android devices in many years, and if you walk into an Apple Store, or go to Apple's online store, you will NOT find any physical keyboard cases for the iPhone whatsoever. For the iPad, sure, but not for the iPhone. The only one that comes to mind would be Typo and that never was available in the Apple Store, and was a pretty niche product. The current market for physical keyboard device would probably be about half of Blackberry marketshare witch is about half of a percent making PKB Devices account for half of half a percent. There really isn't a meaningful market for physical keyboard smartphones. Quiet honestly, the market has move on from physical keyboard smartphones. Sure Samsung recently created a keyboard case for the Note, but with their falling profits because of increased compition from Apple and Chinese manufactures, Samsung is just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.
    Last edited by jallister; 08-20-15 at 07:06 PM.
    08-20-15 06:29 PM
    They already have the next best thing. It's a passport or a z30 with bb10. If developers and BlackBerry had been able to close the app gap and advertised we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hands down best os I've used. Hated android. Love BlackBerry 10. I'll check out the slider but if I don't feel like I'm using os 10 I might as well look at other androids as well when my z30 dies. Don't care either way about the slider, do care about the os.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that BB10 is the best OS. However, I don't think it offers something different enough to sway people from other devices. It's better in a kind of refined way, not better in a way that forces people to use BlackBerry if they want to be significantly more productive in a different and unique way. Mike and Thor had the right idea. I think Chen doesn't want the fight...

Posted via CB10
    acovey and leejayh like this.
    08-20-15 06:33 PM
    +1 for pushing up a positive thread.
    TheTillmanator likes this.
    08-20-15 07:06 PM
    This is based on the slider news from BlackBerry? Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 07:09 PM
    There really hasn't been KB Android devices in many years, and if you walk into an Apple Store, or go to Apple's online store, you will NOT find any physical keyboard cases for the iPhone whatsoever. For the iPad, sure, but not for the iPhone. The only one that comes to mind would be Typo and that never was available in the Apple Store, and was a pretty niche product. The current market for physical keyboard device would probably be about half of Blackberry marketshare witch is about half of a percent making PKB Devices account for half of half a percent. There really isn't a meaningful market for physical keyboard smartphones. Quiet honestly, the market has move on from physical keyboard smartphones. Sure Samsung recently created a keyboard case for the Note, but with their falling profits because of increased compition from Apple and Chinese manufactures, Samsung is just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.
    I visited an Apple store just last week. I touched the keyboard accessory with my own hands. It's available!
    08-20-15 07:40 PM

1) Running Android

2) Curved screen

It looks sexy.

3) Slider

4) Vertical Slider

Copied my format. Nice going. Couldn't come up with your own idea to comment on your love for android and this slider??
    techvisor likes this.
    08-20-15 08:20 PM
    By the way OP, I disagree with you 100% and don't appreciate what you did here.
    Flatman likes this.
    08-20-15 08:22 PM
    I found it appropriate because it successfully highlights how people's opinions on the Slider are so opposed. Time will truly determine whether or not the Slider is a sales success.

I do hope it is successful. Personally, I would have preferred BB10 with a full Google Play Store Implementation, but I will settle for Android with a BlackBerry feel.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 08:48 PM
    I visited an Apple store just last week. I touched the keyboard accessory with my own hands. It's available!
    I checked the Apple Online Store, even when through the Apple Store, Upper East Side today just to make sure, there is no such accessory available in the Apple Store.
    08-20-15 09:15 PM
    I want/need a slider, I DON'T want an Android OS. Time will tell if Blackberry using Android is BS.
    lift and anon(5981295) like this.
    08-20-15 09:27 PM
    Some great points OP and I am hoping for same. I will pick up one when available, maybe two if there are two OS versions.
    08-20-15 09:34 PM
    No way will I switch to Android. I'll cross over to the Apple side before I'll run Android on one of my devices.
    lift and techvisor like this.
    08-20-15 10:34 PM
    As a true supporter of BlackBerry (RIM) I want to see whatever plans they have for the slider capture market share and drive profitability.

Android may be a smart move depending on how it's done, I need the stock price to bounce back.

Posted from my mighty Z30!
    Mr2KiEu likes this.
    08-20-15 11:15 PM
131 123 ...