Curved edges will be passe by the time the phone is released. The slider form factor was a very niche market during Blackberry's heyday. I would be shocked if this is a hit.

Chen's obsession with physical keyboards is not helping anything. It's not a strong enough niche to keep Blackberry going alone. Release a new Z30 already! How hard is it to slap a faster CPU in the same phone? Don't change anything but make it faster.
    lift, m3mb3rsh1p, phuoc and 1 others like this.
    08-21-15 06:18 PM
    Curved edges will be passe by the time the phone is released. The slider form factor was a very niche market during Blackberry's heyday. I would be shocked if this is a hit.

Chen's obsession with physical keyboards is not helping anything. It's not a strong enough niche to keep Blackberry going alone. Release a new Z30 already! How hard is it to slap a faster CPU in the same phone? Don't change anything but make it faster.
    Chen's obsession? The physical keyboard is what makes BlackBerry unique. As much as I desire a full-touch Z30 replacement, we don't even show up on BlackBerry's RADAR.

I blame it all on the Z10. Pathetic battery life worthy of an iPhone and a small screen. Had the first BB10 device been the Z30, things may have been different. Unfortunately the Z30 came out when RIM was gasping for life. I don't recall seeing any advertising for the Z30.

At the end of the day, the physical keyboard with Android will sell to previous BlackBerry owners who long for a decent keyboard. They are out there and they likely outnumber the people who want a high spec Z30 replacement.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 06:46 PM
    You may be right, but I think that there is a stronger need for an updated all-touch device. Blackberry has never advertised anything since that Superbowl ad. They won't advertise the slider device, and no one will ever know about it except people that want an updated Z30.
    lift likes this.
    08-21-15 08:09 PM
    Great post...and I like how the OP used the negative format and twisted it around to show a positive view.

I think the BlackBerry Glide will be a hit.

...(whoops)

Posted via CB10
    TheTillmanator likes this.
    08-21-15 09:50 PM
    I find quite the contrary here The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider is starting to look real | Android Central

Surprisingly enough, it appears a lot of non-bb users are excited about the Venice
    It seems to me that some of the posters in the Android forum are CB members. I would say that only a few of non BB users are excited about the Venice. Anyway, that is based on the thread in Android Central. Let's see how it turns out when the Slider is already available in the market.
    08-21-15 10:22 PM
    I'll check it out only if non android. But reading more and more about no further support in bb10 I am eyeing either the 940xl or idevice 6s+.

I never used a z30 and wouldn't mind trying it out though. Anyone got one to work with tmobile LTE? Mms and sms?

Posted via Silver Passport.
    08-21-15 11:15 PM
    I think BB could also lean their message away from the 'professional' a little.

Fixed gear bikes
    Flannel shirts
    Beards and mustaches
    Pabst blue ribbon
    Hardcover books

All signs of the modern hipster who like 'authentic-throwback' style stuff.

That Silver Edition Passport had the right idea.. Had the look of old Nikkor or Leica cameras... Stick with that style and keep having the pkb... Go hipster.
    Agree with this. I wish the Slider had that same feel/look/design language as the new Passport Silver. That Passport Silver is beautiful.
    08-22-15 06:05 AM
    I seriously can't wait to get my hands on this device.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!
    08-22-15 07:36 AM
    Agree with this. I wish the Slider had that same feel/look/design language as the new Passport Silver. That Passport Silver is beautiful.
    Yah, play up typewriter==physical keyboard

I'm going to find a pic of a 1969 lens I use on my modern Nikon... Feels very passport silver Ed.
    08-22-15 08:56 AM
    The 1969 Nikkor (before the rename to Nikon) 50mm f1.4. A metal tank of a lens. All the design cues from Leica and Fuji and Nikkor could be adopted. Silver and black are already BB colors... Play up the frets, keep metal strips on the back like the silver passport...

astrodan13 likes this.
    08-22-15 08:58 AM

Me either. This is the first time in a long while I've been hyped about an upcoming BlackBerry device. I was trying to keep my expectations low and not be too excited for it, but I failed miserably and now I just want it to launch already.
    08-22-15 11:01 AM
    Great post...and I like how the OP used the negative format and twisted it around to show a positive view.
    Yeah great thread. He used my format and twisted it around to his opinions. Really original and brilliant.
    08-22-15 11:31 AM

You like to try out all kinds of phones which is pretty cool.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    08-22-15 11:33 AM
    I'll wait and see where the "chips" fall.... still a lot of rumors and assumptions going on.
    Yay! I got him on the "let's wait and see" boat!
    08-22-15 02:24 PM
    I have used the Z10, Q10, Z30 and Classic. The Z30 was a great phone and I miss the screen. Classic is a great phone too, but it's a work phone, little or no play.

I think BB10 is a great OS. It's not cluttered and very functional. Very simple to use. But the lack of apps is killing me. Long distance friends ask to video chat on FB and I have to run home and pull out my laptop. I randomly receive a check and I can't just whip out my phone and deposit it. My daughter is bored while her mother spends hours in the shoes/handbag section at the department store and wants to play a game on my phone, well she can't cause the selection is either limited or the android sideload doesn't work properly.

As much as I like Blackberry, I'm losing my patience with them. I think BB10 is dead. It was on life support from day 1.

I will use the Android phone by BlackBerry if it gives me the best of BB--a simple and user friendly UI--without the bloat of the typical Android.

Otherwise my next phone will be iOS.

I'm tired of workarounds and sideloading. It's time for BlackBerry to provide me with a smartphone that is truly functional for me.

Posted via CB10
    allbetsareoff29 likes this.
    08-22-15 08:01 PM
    Don't laugh at me because I don't think you even know what I was talking about.
    LOL!!!

Hey, free world, I can laugh whatever and whenever I want. Besides, http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...inion-1034511/

Was I wrong? Was I right? I don't care, I just found it funny all of this seems to just affect you coz somebody used your format for the wrong (for you) reasons. I mean, so what? Is that wrong?

LOL whatever man, stew in your juices or something.
    08-22-15 10:15 PM
    Copied my format. Nice going. Couldn't come up with your own idea to comment on your love for android and this slider??
    I am sure there is prior art for the numbered list.
    smh
    08-22-15 10:34 PM
    Whatever they do, marketing is of utmost importance, something that BlackBerry tends to fail at miserably......

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    08-23-15 09:25 AM
    Me either. This is the first time in a long while I've been hyped about an upcoming BlackBerry device. I was trying to keep my expectations low and not be too excited for it, but I failed miserably and now I just want it to launch already.
    Now that I no longer ever want anything to do with Samsung again (Cloned my iPhone 6 with their newest iteration), this makes me even more excited for this device.

I honestly could care less if it's BB10 or Android OS. I just want the slider. I use Apk files on my Z10 anyways! *.* Now to hope T-Mobile gets it so I don't have to shell out a huge chunk of cash upfront.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk Pro.
    08-23-15 09:41 AM
    You like to try out all kinds of phones which is pretty cool.
    I live, breathe, and love technology. It's constantly evolving. Only time I stop trying it is if it's no longer progressing. Like Samsung. Their newest phones are so identical to my iPhone 6 and they took away so many important features to do so. I was behind them before, now I think if they got sued for copying, it would be a given.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk Pro.
    lift likes this.
    08-23-15 09:45 AM
    Now to hope T-Mobile gets it so I don't have to shell out a huge chunk of cash upfront.
    How? I thought T-Mobile also stopped contracts?

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    08-23-15 10:28 AM

4) Vertical Slider

It's a small thing, but I like how I don't have to turn the phone sideways. Just pull it out of the pocket, slide out the keyboard, and walla.
    This bugs me to no end,
    It's Voil�, not 'walla'
    Jesus christ I can't take your post seriously
    08-23-15 10:46 AM
    Lol device will be premium.

Wow all we have to go on is rumors, horrible pictures of the screen not even real screen grabs with proper EXIF data within and every supposed leaked photo IS showing plastic and you'll bet the same plastic density used from the Leap will go into this slider.

Focus is not the executive or upper echelon business user that doesn't really have their phone while partaking in any sporting events with say a Passport vs someone with a Z10 would.

This is a consumer aimed product with some Enterprise user appeal, some, and with that the so called imaginative "pro-sumer" doesn't really exist. Ever notice that BlackBerry and their BlackBerry fans are the only ones using this nomenclature for a device segment?

Honestly I wish their hardware security patents could be licensed out to the competition along with use for their BlackBerry brand name being fully licensed out on hardware manufacturing too.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 12:22 PM
    The 1969 Nikkor (before the rename to Nikon) 50mm f1.4. A metal tank of a lens. All the design cues from Leica and Fuji and Nikkor could be adopted. Silver and black are already BB colors... Play up the frets, keep metal strips on the back like the silver passport...

http://www.djcphoto.com/blog/wp-cont.../f14_front.jpg
    BTW, black is not a colour, it's a shade.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 12:27 PM
    I think even a bad sell on the venice is still better than all the bb10 numbers they have sold. Theres so much android fans out there that even if u get probably a certain pie of it.. it will definitely be a lot more than bb10 sold.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 12:31 PM
131 12345 ...