Posted via CB10
    Cause he gets nervous around girls?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 08:02 AM
    Chen is a geek.

Posted via CB10
    A software geek maybe....
    10-02-15 08:06 AM
    Thanks for posting my reaction when I saw this thread.
    10-02-15 08:07 AM
    BB doesn't do it for each phone release, but they did have a big show for the unveiling of BB10 and the Z10 and Q10.
    You are correct. Sorry, I wasn't clear that I was referring to the Chen era. This doesn't mean I want BBRY to put on a big blitz. I don't think that is a good use of their current resources. But when they do put something out publically, make it count.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-02-15 09:28 AM
    And this was not even an official keynote. It was a random off-the-cuff interview, with an unfinished demo phone, just hours after they decided to show the phone to the public due to excessive leaks the night before.

Big deal. Once the phone is presented "officially" this interview will be forgotten.
    Yeah, and only diehard blackberry people who will buy anything new that is stamped blackberry will buy it. 2 years ago, if Chen would have said we are going to put out an android blackberry, those same diehards would have run him out of this universe.

How many different versions of droid does this world need?

I buy blackberry for a blackberry's version of an OS and expect them to invest their future as making a very mature OS that kicks ***.
    Mark my words, this decision was blackberry's surrender.
    10-02-15 09:57 AM

LOL
    LMAO...

Just brutal, f--ng brutal.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 10:06 AM
    You and I are sold on it but some stunning advertising might be needed to help sway the masses
    No. And why? It has been said a thousand and one times that this phone is for business professionals/enterprise users who are tired of carrying two devices: a BB for the physical keyboard and an Android/iOS for the apps.

Why all the goobs believe this is meant for the average consumer is nuts. Get over it.

The only people who still read Time magazine are those who are waiting at the dentist's office.

I'm the OP and I have had time to chill a bit but in reality, the interview was picked up and ridiculed by a considerable number of tech media sites. Yes, I know they plagiarise each others headlines but they presumably can and do influence their readers in turn.
    To add to my first comment above; only diehards and techies read tech blogs/articles. People need to keep a perspective here: the average joe and jane consumer did not, and will not ever, see this video.

That bad interview is starting to hit the mainstream press...see this afternoon's article in The Huffington Post -

BlackBerry's Bizarre Product Launch Exposed a Crippling Weakness*|*Andrew Cherwenka
    The proof is in the pudding and offers a big reason why BB10 failed. But once again, the Priv's target customers are likely to not read Huff en masse. Forbes on the other hand....

Hello,

I think people that are brushing this aside are missing the point. Even if this doesn't reach many people, then what the hell was the purpose of it? Do you really think it is a good use of a CEO's time to do an interview that reaches no one and does nothing of value?

However I think the bigger issue is that this speaks to the inept handling of marketing and PR in general. If this is the quality of presentation then this in itself is a big problem.

Any way you slice this, it cannot be rightfully identified as a competent marketing plan. It's embarrassing and yet another example of incompetence.

KAM
    You know what they say, well in America, anyways: There is no such a thing as bad publicity.

Talk about damage control all you want; this fumble by Chen is once again getting people to talk about the Priv and BlackBerry. Some people who read the Huff article, or the Time article, and so on, are going to think "Priv, what's that", and seek out more info. And those who won't are not going to care enough about to likely even read the article in the first place.

Case in point, how many of those older scathing CNET reviews of BB10 where followed with numerous positive comments from readers? Click bait for all, sure, but still provides the reader with a wider perspective if they bother to read the comments section. And the by the way, the current CNET review of the Priv is damning, and with no mention of the "Chen demo".
    In essence, what Chen is doing, or did with the BNN demo, is marketing genius. And low cost, too.
    10-02-15 10:44 AM
    You know what they say, well in America, anyways: There is no such a thing as bad publicity.

Talk about damage control all you want; this fumble by Chen is once again getting people to talk about the Priv and BlackBerry. Some people who read the Huff article, or the Time article, and so on, are going to think "Priv, what's that", and seek out more info. And those who won't are not going to care enough about to likely even read the article in the first place.

Case in point, how many of those older scathing CNET reviews of BB10 where followed with numerous positive comments from readers? Click bait for all, sure, but still provides the reader with a wider perspective if they bother to read the comments section. And the by the way, the current CNET review of the Priv is damning, and with no mention of the "Chen demo".
    In essence, what Chen is doing, or did with the BNN demo, is marketing genius. And low cost, too.
    I disagree
    More publicity about being a joke is not positive. It reinforces the negative image BlackBerry already has.

Chen is REACTING to people talking about Leaks in this instance. Another botched job by a company preaching "privacy" while clumsily admitting that it can't keep its own business private. If anyone bothers paying attention that might occur to them = NOT a good thing.
    You are right that it MIGHT cause people to go look for more information--IF they weren't convinced it is a joke, BECAUSE what is presented is bad.

Also--you seem to be not quite understanding that the entire purpose of Marketing is to give your Product/Brand a GOOD image.
    Further, if people don't care enough to learn more, then AGAIN--failure in marketing--missing an opportunity to garner the POSITIVE attention of a potential customer.

You reference older (bad) CNET Reviews of BB10 but with positive reading comments. And how did that work out? I think this is likely a false indicator. People who see a bad review and write it off aren't likely to spend their time talking about something that they've decided is a bad product.

This last point about the Chen's BNN demo being "marketing genius" is staggering. Literally, I have no idea how you could come to that conclusion.

And while I'm sure you are correct that it required little outlay of dollars, the "cost" is in fact VERY high. The cost of repeated failures and inept performances by a clueless CEO is immense, and has continued BlackBerry on its downward spiral.
    In this way, you've sort of highlighted the Failure of Chen pretty well. Failure to spend (wisely) has a very high cost, when your goal is to produce a successful product.

It seems like you want to be enthusiastic and optimistic, and I really don't have a desire to rain on that parade, but I think what you've stated here is just really off-base.

You seem to be well aware the failure to market BB10 and present it positively to the consumer was a "big reason" that it didn't succeed (sales), but don't seem to realize that BlackBerry is setting itself up to do the exact same thing with the Priv.

KAM
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-02-15 01:16 PM
    Of course CNET will give a damning review of the new BB android device, we all know they are anti Blackberry. However the other sites will do a review and they will be unbiased, and hopefully they will give a good review this phone deserves. Why not, the specs are current, the battery is great, the display is awesome, the size form factor is good, the amazing capacitance touch, slider keyboard is great, and if you want all touch then leave the keyboard shut. Also what about the enhanced security features that even got Google's attention. So if CNET gives damming review I'm sure people will see though it, and say to CNET WTF are you smoking, are you people stupid or what, wait until the device is released so you can try it before making comments. One last thing the major carriers are committed to selling this new phone. When has that ever happened. If the carriers thought this phone would be a dud, they would not have committed to selling it..
    Dave Bourque and david7saad like this.
    10-02-15 06:40 PM
    Here's the thing: Chen probably assumed that only a very tiny fraction of the smartphone buying public would ever see that interview, so that means that they can do proper marketing later and it will be like it never happened.

Unfortunately, that tiny fraction usually includes the tech press so they draw attention to the fail.

Again, it's hard to resist calling out BlackBerry's marketing team / consultants / agencies and PR firm when this crap happens time and time again. It's "amateur hour" every hour of every day with them.

I'm a shareholder and this crap really asterisks me off.
    10-02-15 06:46 PM
    Here's the thing: Chen probably assumed that only a very tiny fraction of the smartphone buying public would ever see that interview, so that means that they can do proper marketing later and it will be like it never happened.

Unfortunately, that tiny fraction usually includes the tech press so they draw attention to the fail.

Again, it's hard to resist calling out BlackBerry's marketing team / consultants / agencies and PR firm when this crap happens time and time again. It's "amateur hour" every hour of every day with them.

I'm a shareholder and this crap really asterisks me off.
    What an astute and insightful post
    10-02-15 09:30 PM
    His eyebrows are mesmerizing.
    10-03-15 01:10 AM
    The only people who still read Time magazine are those who are waiting at the dentist's office.
    Hmm I love time magazine. I haven't read it in awhile though Come to think of it I'm due a dental checkup.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 07:59 AM

LOL
    Yeah I watched this a week or so ago.

He is, sadly, spot on!
    10-05-15 07:07 AM
66 123