What they need to do, is hire a hot tech woman to do the demos. What's Mythbuster's Kari Byron up to these days? Some Travel show...
    brian4591 likes this.
    09-30-15 07:29 PM
    VERY poor discipline on Chen's part. He let the "priv" out of the bag in an informal interview which he was poorly prepared for and the device wasn't even set up properly for a demo. If he wanted a leak to get out there, he could have arranged for an employee to let the reporter see and play with the device for a few minutes so she could get people like us whipped up about it prior to its formal introduction.

I truly think Chen lost a golden opportunity to introduce the Priv properly at a formal presentation like all of the other successful manufactures do (Apple being the golden child, for sure). Best strategy at this point, is to poke fun at himself in a self-deprecating video at the beginning of the formal unveiling of the device. I like one of the posts here that suggested an 8 year old child showing him how to work it - that would be hilarious and take the sting out of how it went down.
    JGoodard likes this.
    09-30-15 07:45 PM
    Ouch!
    09-30-15 07:46 PM
    *laugh*.... an impromptu 30 second display of the phone on BNN is not a formal demo....no one cares about this other than a couple of sites who are bottom-feeding off of clicks by concerned crack-berry users. If you think all the fandroids and itoy lovers even know who Chen is or what he is doing then sure, you may think "damage control".

In reality, no one really cares about this other than us.
    09-30-15 07:57 PM
    The fallout? I'm only reading complaints at this domain...

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-30-15 08:12 PM
    *laugh*.... an impromptu 30 second display of the phone on BNN is not a formal demo....no one cares about this other than a couple of sites who are bottom-feeding off of clicks by concerned crack-berry users. If you think all the fandroids and itoy lovers even know who Chen is or what he is doing then sure, you may think "damage control".

In reality, no one really cares about this other than us.
    I'm the OP and I have had time to chill a bit but in reality, the interview was picked up and ridiculed by a considerable number of tech media sites. Yes, I know they plagiarise each others headlines but they presumably can and do influence their readers in turn.
    09-30-15 08:18 PM
    What they need to do is just replace this Chen demo story with a proper reveal and hands on. The question is when.
    09-30-15 08:37 PM
    That bad interview is starting to hit the mainstream press...see this afternoon's article in The Huffington Post -

BlackBerry's Bizarre Product Launch Exposed a Crippling Weakness | Andrew Cherwenka
    09-30-15 10:46 PM
    That bad interview is starting to hit the mainstream press...see this afternoon's article in The Huffington Post -

BlackBerry's Bizarre Product Launch Exposed a Crippling Weakness*|*Andrew Cherwenka
    Wow... that one is brutal.

And BlackBerry totally drove itself into that.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 11:23 PM
    Yeah that is a bummer but I'm sure once the phone is our and reviewers get their hands on it, it'll make up for it.

I just need a release date Chen.. Just.. Gimmi the release date.. I'll give you money right now to pre order Chen... Chen.. Release the phone!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 11:25 PM
    Hello,

I think people that are brushing this aside are missing the point. Even if this doesn't reach many people, then what the hell was the purpose of it? Do you really think it is a good use of a CEO's time to do an interview that reaches no one and does nothing of value?

However I think the bigger issue is that this speaks to the inept handling of marketing and PR in general. If this is the quality of presentation then this in itself is a big problem.

Any way you slice this, it cannot be rightfully identified as a competent marketing plan. It's embarrassing and yet another example of incompetence.

KAM
    10-01-15 12:52 AM
    Are we seriously still discussing this?
    10-01-15 01:05 AM
    Am I weird for thinking much ado about nothing?
    DolemiteDONS and gvs1341 like this.
    10-01-15 01:21 AM
    Lol, whoops, my mistake. I honestly hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere.
    10-01-15 05:54 AM
    He's not used to the regular made popular by Steve jobs style of show and tell and English is not his first language.

You can tell from the interview that he was not comfortable showing too much of the phone or talking about it. Maybe because he wants to save some surprises for the actual launch. I believe that it was a last minute decision to show the phone off to BNN.

He fumbled around with the phone sure but then again he's not an android user nor is he directly involved with the programming or the design of the phone.

He's a ceo not a techy. It's not like he sits around all day fondling with his phone. He actually has a very demanding job and a life.

Please, his English has nothing to do with this. His English seems fine enough for him to be the CEO of BlackBerry!

And, if the things you say are true, he has no business showing off the phone to the media. That was just an amateur mistake!

Q10/10.3.2.2639
    10-01-15 06:34 AM
    Am I weird for thinking much ado about nothing?
    I don't think you're weird for thinking that, I think you're wrong.

It's simple: This sort of things is an indication of incompetence or poor planning, or poor execution, or simply being clueless. The thing itself is not THE issue--it is a manifestation of the issue that IS certainly "something" (not nothing).

People have married themselves to the (true) belief that Blackberry is failing because of its ecosystem problems. Fine, but I'm not sure how anyone can look at the trail of failures, missteps, inaction, and just cringe-worthy nonsense that is BlackBerry Marketing and PR and NOT realize that is a problem that is DIRECTLY harming the potential to succeed (and not be considered a joke).

KAM
    10-01-15 07:55 AM
    Stand up on stage with a katana. Yell "I APOROGIZE!!!!!", then slice his abdomen with the katana. Thorston Heins then comes on stage, announcing his return to CEO, cancels the Priv and re-releases the Q10 and Z10 (now called Classic 2 and Leap 2) with 10.3.4, which is just 10.3.2 with the Android runtime removed.
    Isn't he Chinese and not Japanese??

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 08:19 AM
    Common sense is not his native language!
    10-01-15 05:10 PM
    John Chen is not sundar pichai. Unless of course you think every ceo should be the same type of person?

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

Steve jobs showed a non responsive iphone when he did the first ever iphone keynote. Didn't affect things much did it?

Posted via CB10
    All these companies do a dog and pony show and they all do ok at it by selecting the right presenters (even Samsung and their occasionally oddball shows). BBRY does not. One of these things doesn't belong here - if kids who watch Sesame Street get it, so should we all.

It was only in retrospect that it came out the iPhone was severely limited at the unveiling (it wasn't nonfunctioning). They practiced like crazy to avoid crashes or errors and the presentation worked. That's the whole point.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    10-01-15 06:14 PM
    All these companies do a dog and pony show and they all do ok at it by selecting the right presenters (even Samsung and their occasionally oddball shows). BBRY does not. One of these things doesn't belong here - if kids who watch Sesame Street get it, so should we all.

It was only in retrospect that it came out the iPhone was severely limited at the unveiling (it wasn't nonfunctioning). They practiced like crazy to avoid crashes or errors and the presentation worked. That's the whole point.
    BB doesn't do it for each phone release, but they did have a big show for the unveiling of BB10 and the Z10 and Q10.
    10-01-15 09:21 PM
    Somebody should demo the device on YouTube or something at a minimum. Forfeit what Chen did just show the thing up close and personal ASAP.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-01-15 09:41 PM
    I hope at the official reveal, that they actually do it with a focus on presentation. John Chen can do his impromptu jokes but they need someone good to demonstrate it. Jeff Gadway was perfect for it, but I'm sure they still have someone left that can do it. Otherwise, they need to hire someone even if its just for the reveal. Maybe the CMO should do it or be in charge of getting this done.
    10-01-15 11:17 PM
    10-01-15 11:22 PM
    Stand up on stage with a katana. Yell "I APOROGIZE!!!!!", then slice his abdomen with the katana. Thorston Heins then comes on stage, announcing his return to CEO, cancels the Priv and re-releases the Q10 and Z10 (now called Classic 2 and Leap 2) with 10.3.4, which is just 10.3.2 with the Android runtime removed.

Isn't he Chinese and not Japanese??

Posted via CB10
    Yep
    10-02-15 12:14 AM
    Chen's public appearence style has always hovered the line between "cutely bumbling" and "utter buffon", and which side he ends up falling on, depends on the preconceptions of the viewer.

At this this point; Maybe the best thing to do, is to embrace and own this. :P
    10-02-15 02:36 AM
66 123