When I first saw that BNN interview, I dismissed it as being a frivolous exchange that probably mean't little more than the CEO was ill-prepared for Amber's skillful and engaging interview techniques, his less than stellar command of the PRIV, eccentric at best. However, the fallout from that interview has highlighted the interest that the tech world has for this device. I'm now beginning to wonder, as might others, if this is not just a sign that Mr Chen has little interest in the success of this device, something forced upon him by the BB Board of Directors. This is strange as he is first and foremost a businessman whose personal income will largely depend upon the value of BBRY stock which continues to erode, and any options he holds are currently worthless.

I now see that interview as being very damaging to the success to this device (in addition to his income). It was inconsiderate at best, arrogant at worst. John Chen needs to pull off a massive about turn over the next few days or weeks. He is a charismatic man and his opinion and actions count. He is very much the face of BB. He really needs to do something very positive to undo the harm he has done.

I feel for those loyal BB workers who have toiled hard over the last few months to produce what some were calling perhaps the cell phone of the year, only to watch that debacle. Also I no longer believe they can launch this premium phone at premium pricing, unless a miracle happens. I think we might be seeing the beginning of the end for BB. Its tragic.
    09-30-15 11:05 AM
    What would have him do? Apologize? I'm not really too sure what can be done aside from 'keep on trucking on'.
    09-30-15 11:30 AM
    What about a self-deprecating, tongue in cheek, TV advert with him sitting with an 8 years old tomboy deftly showing Mr Chen how android actually works on the PRIV? Now THAT would be ballsy and get attention. Your thoughts?
    FF22, phuoc, zombiecupcake and 2 others like this.
    09-30-15 11:36 AM
    What about a self-deprecating, tongue in cheek, TV advert with him sitting with an 8 years old tomboy deftly showing Mr Chen how android actually works on the PRIV? Now THAT would be ballsy and get attention. Your thoughts?
    Absolutely lol. While Chen swipes on his Passport.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-30-15 12:00 PM
    What would have him do? Apologize? I'm not really too sure what can be done aside from 'keep on trucking on'.
    Stand up on stage with a katana. Yell "I APOROGIZE!!!!!", then slice his abdomen with the katana. Thorston Heins then comes on stage, announcing his return to CEO, cancels the Priv and re-releases the Q10 and Z10 (now called Classic 2 and Leap 2) with 10.3.4, which is just 10.3.2 with the Android runtime removed.
    09-30-15 12:05 PM
    Stand up on stage with a katana. Yell "I APOROGIZE!!!!!", then slice his abdomen with the katana. Thorston Heins then comes on stage, announcing his return to CEO, cancels the Priv and re-releases the Q10 and Z10 (now called Classic 2 and Leap 2) with 10.3.4, which is just 10.3.2 with the Android runtime removed.
    Only Alicia Keys can clean up this mess!

Posted via CB10
    terdferguson3 and FF22 like this.
    09-30-15 12:09 PM
    The message that BlackBerry sends reflects, exactly, what is going on:
    OK, we are deemphasizing hardware in favor of software and services. It's what I was brought on to do. We're doing some crazy cost-cutting so most of our more charismatic top-level hardware expertise has jumped ship. We're trying this Android thing out but we're not willing to bet the company on it. Most of the development was outsourced so I'm still getting familiar with it. As you can tell, I'm getting pretty sick of the leaks and questions about the hardware strategy and can't wait to get out of this business.
    Last edited by early2bed; 09-30-15 at 12:54 PM.
    09-30-15 12:18 PM
    Since the disastrous interview, Google had their own (and much better) dog & pony show. Starring soon to be BB's native SDK Product Manager Sundar Pichai. People outside of this forum are already forgetting about Chen & his interview.
    09-30-15 12:45 PM
    The message that BlackBerry sends reflects, exactly, what is going on:
    That can't be real...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 02:30 PM
    Has the phone been officially unveiled and announced or it has yet to be? I don't understand.
    09-30-15 02:42 PM
    He's not used to the regular made popular by Steve jobs style of show and tell and English is not his first language.

You can tell from the interview that he was not comfortable showing too much of the phone or talking about it. Maybe because he wants to save some surprises for the actual launch. I believe that it was a last minute decision to show the phone off to BNN.

He fumbled around with the phone sure but then again he's not an android user nor is he directly involved with the programming or the design of the phone.

He's a ceo not a techy. It's not like he sits around all day fondling with his phone. He actually has a very demanding job and a life.

By the way a katana is a japanese weapon. John Chen is American Chinese. There is a major difference. Please refrain from posting borderline racist and ignorant remarks.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 02:51 PM
    The next demo should have the J Calloy guy snatching the phone from Chen's hands and then going on rant about how the phone sucks in his usual tone. "What? I get a choice of keyboard? I only want one choice! "

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 02:57 PM
    He's a ceo not a techy. It's not like he sits around all day fondling with his phone. He actually has a very demanding job and a life.

There is a major difference. Please refrain from posting borderline racist and ignorant remarks.
    Posted via CB10
    Sundar Pichai is BOTH a CEO AND a TECHIE.

And Chen has no problem with English at all. He fumbled the brief but nevertheless off the cuff presentation, but not due to his English. It's on him and it reflected badly. Good thing 13 million people over the weekend forgot about it cause they bought IPhones.
    JGoodard likes this.
    09-30-15 03:15 PM
    I think Time had a write up that basically said,.. if the CEO can't even use this new device, imagine how alienated long-time BlackBerry users will feel?

At the same time,.. I guess that means 99.9% of users will feel very at home... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:22 PM
    Sundar Pichai is BOTH a CEO AND a TECHIE.

And Chen has no problem with English at all. He fumbled the brief but nevertheless off the cuff presentation, but not due to his English. It's on him and it reflected badly. Good thing 13 million people over the weekend forgot about it cause they bought IPhones.
    John Chen is not sundar pichai. Unless of course you think every ceo should be the same type of person?

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

Steve jobs showed a non responsive iphone when he did the first ever iphone keynote. Didn't affect things much did it?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:25 PM
    For me, I looked beyond Mr Chen's demo of the Priv, I was sold when the young lady held up the device so we could have a good clear look at it, and for me, I am sold and can't wait till it becomes officially available in the Blackberry store, which I hope is more sooner then later.
    09-30-15 03:47 PM
    For me, I looked beyond Mr Chen's demo of the Priv, I was sold when the young lady held up the device so we could have a good clear look at it, and for me, I am sold and can't wait till it becomes officially available in the Blackberry store, which I hope is more sooner then later.
    You and I are sold on it but some stunning advertising might be needed to help sway the masses
    09-30-15 03:50 PM
    By the way a katana is a japanese weapon. John Chen is American Chinese. There is a major difference. Please refrain from posting borderline racist and ignorant remarks.
    I know he's Chinese, I went to the same high school as him. Responding to a ridiculous post with something equally ridiculous.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-30-15 04:05 PM
    It is a good example of what it's like using an Android device... they have some work ahead of them obviously. I'm excited to see it still.

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard likes this.
    09-30-15 04:09 PM
    I guess you guys don't remember all the blunders jobs had over the years with new products. He once threw a camera at an employee when his demo wasn't working.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    brian4591 and Jahcure like this.
    09-30-15 04:14 PM
    John Chen is not sundar pichai. Unless of course you think every ceo should be the same type of person?
    Well, seeing as he's a pretty awesome CEO of a major tech giant...yes? With a side order of yes very much please?
    09-30-15 04:36 PM
    Geez, its not like the majority of the public is going to see that interview. Only really diehard blackberry users are the ones who are going to see it. Its not like there have been major news outlets picking that interview up saying "Look how bad John Chen was at demoing his new phone!" For once its good that no one really cares about BB right now.
    09-30-15 04:45 PM
    I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

Steve jobs showed a non responsive iphone when he did the first ever iphone keynote. Didn't affect things much did it?

Posted via CB10
    And this was not even an official keynote. It was a random off-the-cuff interview, with an unfinished demo phone, just hours after they decided to show the phone to the public due to excessive leaks the night before.

Big deal. Once the phone is presented "officially" this interview will be forgotten.
    09-30-15 04:56 PM
    Geez, its not like the majority of the public is going to see that interview. Only really diehard blackberry users are the ones who are going to see it. Its not like there have been major news outlets picking that interview up saying "Look how bad John Chen was at demoing his new phone!" For once its good that no one really cares about BB right now.
    Really?

That Chen interview needs serious damage control-img_20150930_180151.png

http://time.com/4052574/blackberry-priv-demo/

Posted via CB10
    KR2013 and JGoodard like this.
    09-30-15 05:03 PM
    I find it amusing how some people are determined to find excuses for Chen's performance. He Effed up Big Time, there's no way around it. He knew he wasn't prepared but he willingly chose to go through with the interview, that was his mistake regardless if a " techie" or not. As much as I love BlackBerry, I will stand up if something is wrong and not blindly praise everything.
    As far as damage control goes, I don't think there is much that can be done here. Hopefully he can redeem himself in the official launch.
    09-30-15 05:29 PM
66 123