Preferred this Chen moment (with Amber) to that dreadful BB10 launch in NYC, with the previous CEO acting like a Steve Jobs wannabe and backed up by a nervous looking team of fading Canadiana. Now THAT was embarrassing....
    I would say this is worse than Thorsten's poor performance at BB10 launch. Thorsten being wooden as he was at least did not stutter and appeared totally clueless about the product of the company. Plus, Thorsten had the help of Vivek who deftly showcased the strong points of BB10. Chen in comparison just looked so clueless and out of touch. If he himself was clueless, he could have told one of the people who helped produce the test Priv unit to help along. Let the other guy walked through the device playing with the UI while Chen himself talked about how BlackBerry is serious about security and privacy. That would have made a much stronger presentation.
    09-28-15 05:39 PM
    I find it refreshing, in a world led by communication experts, where Tim Cook's routine of 'thrilled, fantastic' presentation for the 'best ever' product seems to be the model everyone's copying.
    Chen is genuine, he looks smart even when he makes that sort of brief presentation.
    I don't care that he doesn't act as a CEO but then again was Ballmer's way better when he jumped on stage like doped monkey or gave more private thinkings like laughing at the iphone ... just to balance Cook's clinical and boring litanies with another big CEO more impetuous and expressive.
    Chen doesn't have to look after gravitas anyone knows he means business, and he is always prone to lighten the atmosphere (just as he does in his 'big' official presentations)... and when the reporter is such a nice woman I guess he lets himself go a little further and can't help showing off his... Priv.
    I really like his attitude, if only there were more 'down-to-earth' people like him presentations would be more enjoyable.

Posted via CB10
    That's fine,.. but at least try to pretend like you've seen the product you're demoing for longer than the audience.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 05:43 PM
    Quite frankly I was just watching the host of BNN. No wonder Chen chose to attempt to demonstrate the phone there and appeared distracted.

Regardless, whether the impromptu demo was slick or not, doesn't change the product which will be properly tested and evaluated when it is released.

The only mistake Chen made in my mind was that terrible name, Priv. Yikes!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:01 PM
    I would say this is worse than Thorsten's poor performance at BB10 launch. Thorsten being wooden as he was at least did not stutter and appeared totally clueless about the product of the company. Plus, Thorsten had the help of Vivek who deftly showcased the strong points of BB10. Chen in comparison just looked so clueless and out of touch. If he himself was clueless, he could have told one of the people who helped produce the test Priv unit to help along. Let the other guy walked through the device playing with the UI while Chen himself talked about how BlackBerry is serious about security and privacy. That would have made a much stronger presentation.
    But you must agree that Thorsen's presentation was poor. Also it was THE introduction of BB10 to the world in front of 100s of journalists and media reps worldwide. It was roasted afterwards and I believe it utterly torpedoed BB10. I suspect the Chen thing was an ad hoc event done to satisfy BNN and clearly nothing more than a quick tease and certainly in no way a "launch". I totally believe we will see some slick and sexy advertising within a week or two. In fact I suspect its imminent given the changes ongoing on their website> Anyway, time will tell.
    david7saad likes this.
    09-28-15 08:01 PM
    That "non" demonstration of the BlackBerry PRIV was an epic FAIL. Chen looked like an unprepared ***** introducing a phone named PRIV for privacy while admitting a BlackBerry leak.

My bitchin' BlackBerry Z30
    09-28-15 08:01 PM
    Quite frankly I was just watching the host of BNN. No wonder Chen chose to attempt to demonstrate the phone there and appeared distracted.

Regardless, whether the impromptu demo was slick or not, doesn't change the product which will be properly tested and evaluated when it is released.

The only mistake Chen made in my mind was that terrible name, Priv. Yikes!!!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Storm in a teacup. Chen knows Amber well. He as been interviewed by her on a number of occasions. I suspect he was giving her a bit of a scoop. Quite flirtatious fun.
    09-28-15 08:03 PM
    Horrid, probably not. Could have been more prepared.

How about everyone get their underware out of a bunch and move on.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    09-28-15 08:10 PM
    http://gizmodo.com/not-even-blackber...one-1733308638

This is the outcome. He has become the laughing stock of the internet.
    09-28-15 09:07 PM
    http://gizmodo.com/not-even-blackber...one-1733308638

This is the outcome. He has become the laughing stock of the internet.
    I saw it this morning and I almost posted a comment with some special words. I can't stand people who mock for the sake of mockery. What is this Blogger a 10 yr old. I am glad at least some of the comments where over all positive towards the new BB phone
    Last edited by fadi.alsaidi; 09-28-15 at 09:37 PM.
    09-28-15 09:24 PM
    I can't believe people here still talking about this topic. Actually blackberry wouldn't confirm an android blackberry if bb priv wasn't leaked everywhere. But they were forced to announce it. so naturally john chen is not really ready to show off the unit, just confirm it officialy.

Read here what he said http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...service=mobile
    Last edited by david7saad; 09-28-15 at 09:43 PM.
    09-28-15 09:25 PM
    Posted on engadget too. This is seriously bugging me because people honestly think that he doesn't know how to use the phone.

Going from my android to bb10 and vice versa. I sometimes make the mistake of swiping up. You can learn to know how to ride a bike, but switch up the handling so left goes right and right goes left its not as easy as you think.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    david7saad and fadi.alsaidi like this.
    09-28-15 10:03 PM
    You are so perceptive. I freely admit it took me almost a full 2 minutes to adapt to the passport navigation...
    09-28-15 11:34 PM
    But you must agree that Thorsen's presentation was poor. Also it was THE introduction of BB10 to the world in front of 100s of journalists and media reps worldwide. It was roasted afterwards and I believe it utterly torpedoed BB10. I suspect the Chen thing was an ad hoc event done to satisfy BNN and clearly nothing more than a quick tease and certainly in no way a "launch". I totally believe we will see some slick and sexy advertising within a week or two. In fact I suspect its imminent given the changes ongoing on their website> Anyway, time will tell.
    You truly expect some slick and sexy advertising soon from Chen?

You�re dreaming.

This guy's bull headed and arrogant refusal to advertise is the reason for BlackBerry's predicament.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    09-29-15 12:09 AM
    The Interview was NOT the offical launch event!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 12:55 AM
    You truly expect some slick and sexy advertising soon from Chen?

You�re dreaming.

This guy's bull headed and arrogant refusal to advertise is the reason for BlackBerry's predicament.

Posted via CB10
    Chen's an ******* and I said so from day one. Back then he was JC to most here. Loyal fans have been dropping off the bus because they're seeing the light but there are those who are throwing away everything they said about Android and actually believe Chen has created Privacy and Privilege with this phone.

Once the name was Priv and then the graphics I could tell they fired anyone with a brain to pick a name and can't afford a graphic designer. Chen is probably bleeding the place dry and has a jet warming up on the tarmac.

BlackBerry is cooked stick a fork in it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-29-15 01:20 AM
    Are we still babbling on about this? Holy hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    bluetroll likes this.
    09-29-15 02:02 AM
    This commentary makes the Chen Presentation a little easier to watch. I love how the interviewer seems to be responsible for bringing "privilege" into the equation. Chen kept saying "privacy" and then finally gave up and went along with her.

Too bad she didn't tell him people are referring to it as the Perv already. Or the old outdoor toilet. She may have been the only person who could have changed Chen's bull headed mind about the cringe worthy name.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-29-15 08:51 AM
    Your assessment is bang on. I couldn't imagine demonstrating a product, certainly one that I'm pinning the hopes of my Company on, without a good working knowledge of it and with it properly setup to show a smooth flow during the video.

It's sad that a tech company in my home province is screwing this up so massively. This phone is going up against behemoths from Apple, Samsung and Google, and this is the best that he can do? Other than the die hards on this site, this phone will be DOA unless they offer a really compelling entry price ala the Nexus 5 a couple years back.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 09:16 AM
    Hello,

I'm not sure what people defending this train-wreck of an interview or deflecting to how Heins' performances might have been equally poor.

The point is that BlackBerry is in DEEP trouble, and what things like this signal is that they are not prepared or dealing with their PR and Marketing well at all. It also underscores the fact that people are very willing, if not Eager to jump on these sorts of mistakes and kick BlackBerry a little bit more when they are down.

So, all you people that think this sort of thing doesn't matter, or takes a back seat to "ecosystem" think again. No one is going to evaluate how much you've improved the Ecosystem, if they are not even going to take a look, because the (seemingly) Bumbling CEO and whoever the hell is supposed to be supporting him can't get a browser to open.

The one guy pointed it out...the DEMO unit that is unable to DEMO. For Goodness sake, WAKE UP BlackBerry, and stop shooting yourself in the foot. You're a Laughing stock to most people, and you're just begging for it at this point.

Everyday wake up and look in the mirror or get together in a circle together and say "We will not Harm the Company Image any more today, We will not Harm the Company Image any more today..." Repeated about 10 times, and perhaps refreshers at Lunch and Tea Time.

Here is some Additional Advice: BlackBerry Marketing--if you actually exist. Chen is not your Front man. He's NOT your charismatic presenter. Heck he's not even your lovable if awkward guy.

If you are going to market this Android Thing, then get to showing what it does BETTER than other android devices. Make a clear demonstration of how this device makes you more productive, WHILE catering to your desire for all the time wasting crap that Google play offers. Wait, leave that last part out.

If you can't make this case, loudly and clearly EVERY TIME then you've failed.

Stop Failing.
    Stop making fools of yourselves and the customers who choose your product.
    Stop doing more harm.
    Stop pretending that you don't have TONS of Marketing work to do.
    Stop being a joke.
    START making a case for your products, by SHOWING , not telling.

KAM
    09-29-15 09:47 AM
    I the US the justice department would already be looking at the behavior of JC & Cie as regards the deep sixing of the company & any golden parachutes in place... it is so obvious to us there is a conspiracy to create an epic failure to run off with the company chevrolet packed with cash...
    Last edited by patapoof; 09-29-15 at 10:25 AM.
    09-29-15 09:53 AM
    09-29-15 09:55 AM
    Yep. Thorsten's presentation was definitely poor and played a small role in making BB10 a failure. There are many other things that made BB10 a failure it is today and they have been discussed to death here. Chen could have easily refused BNN request to interview if he felt he was not up to it. Anything a CEO of a well-known company says or does is always very high profile and carries a lot of weight. At the very least when a CEO demoes a product, it is already an unofficial launch. CEOs get paid a lot, something like 70x rank and file workers for a good reason (while obviously many such CEOs do not deserve it).
    09-29-15 10:54 AM
147 ... 456