Oh my God........I admit I have a blackberry Q10 and love it but Chen really ****ed up here. He just sounds so off and acts like a fool.......Did he use the phone beforehand ? He sounds like a little kid trying to explain it - "it runs google???"
    Well, the Verge has never been keen on giving BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt. The bit about "runs google" I think was an attempt to make it clear that it's not just an "Android Runtime" like on BB10, but has access to Google Mobile Services including the Play store and all the apps therein.

Chen's English is better than my Chinese, so I certainly won't fault his linguistic skills, but maybe there should be a native English speaker from the management team that does point on these things... or is at least standing nearby to interject when Chen isn't clear.

Not having a device that was set up to be used for demos was inexcusable, unless this was totally a spur-of-the-moment thing in which case SOMEONE should have said "stall a bit: I have to go through the device setup first." BNN would have waited for a world exclusive of demoing the device... but no one in his entourage had the presence of mind to realise that the device wasn't in a demo-ready state.

Now, if that happened to Steve Jobs... what do you suppose would have happened? I'm thinking...

david7saad likes this.
    09-28-15 09:53 AM
    This one requires root. Should go under the assumption that the Priv is unrootable.
    Please read the description...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:02 AM
    Well, the Verge has never been keen on giving BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt. The bit about "runs google" I think was an attempt to make it clear that it's not just an "Android Runtime" like on BB10, but has access to Google Mobile Services including the Play store and all the apps therein.

Chen's English is better than my Chinese, so I certainly won't fault his linguistic skills, but maybe there should be a native English speaker from the management team that does point on these things... or is at least standing nearby to interject when Chen isn't clear.

Not having a device that was set up to be used for demos was inexcusable, unless this was totally a spur-of-the-moment thing in which case SOMEONE should have said "stall a bit: I have to go through the device setup first." BNN would have waited for a world exclusive of demoing the device... but no one in his entourage had the presence of mind to realise that the device wasn't in a demo-ready state.

Now, if that happened to Steve Jobs... what do you suppose would have happened? I'm thinking...

Jeff Gadway use to help Chen out. Before that it was Viveck B., both of them are now gone but I'm sure we'll see someone new soon.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-28-15 10:19 AM
    Why didnt he say that ??? Who says "it runs google" unless you are like 75 years old

[/QUOTE]Chen's English is better than my Chinese, so I certainly won't fault his linguistic skills, but maybe there should be a native English speaker from the management team that does point on these things... or is at least standing nearby to interject when Chen isn't clear.[/QUOTE]

I speak Japanese fluently and when doing presentations, the key is practice, practice and practice.
    The thing is its a big **** up ! theres no reason why he shouldnt be prepared - I prepare when speaking Japanese especially when talking to the media and I prepare for everything. Im not saying Im a CEO or superman but **** like this doesnt fly as he has just doomed the new handset.

Instead of having the handset in the media, now if you read other tech blogs its Chen's f up
    09-28-15 10:39 AM
    Don't forget the "Touchscreen and all the good stuff". But OK, since I heard that he's Chinese I'll forgive him. Don't know how my Chinese was if I were CEO of a Chinese company...

It's the product that matters.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ulferini Schusterotti; 09-28-15 at 02:02 PM.
    09-28-15 10:58 AM
    Jeff Gadway use to help Chen out. Before that it was Viveck B., both of them are now gone but I'm sure we'll see someone new soon.

What happened to them?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:59 AM
    Why didnt he say that ??? Who says "it runs google" unless you are like 75 years old
    Chen IS "like" 75 years old. In terms of "ach, this marketing stuff is for the kids. It doesn't matter. Whatever."

Just the whole idea of announcing the device in an ad that references that fact that BlackBerry's corporate privacy was compromised so the name of the device leaked is just... PSCHWEWWWWWW mind-blowingly STUPID!

"So, Mr. Chen, if the only company in the world who had access to BlackBerry "Priv" devices is BlackBerry, and you've suffered a "privacy" breach, I guess this device does absolutely nothing beneficial to protect privacy. Gotcha."

Is there an image of the entire cast of ST:TNG doing a facepalm? Just Picard and Riker don't do it justice.
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-28-15 11:17 AM

It's the product that matters.

Posted via CB10
    I agree ! And I still want one

BUT now this video is out and its ruined the hype.....people are talking about this AND not the phone
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-28-15 11:18 AM
    Chen IS "like" 75 years old. In terms of "ach, this marketing stuff is for the kids. It doesn't matter. Whatever."

Just the whole idea of announcing the device in an ad that references that fact that BlackBerry's corporate privacy was compromised so the name of the device leaked is just... PSCHWEWWWWWW mind-blowingly STUPID!

"So, Mr. Chen, if the only company in the world who had access to BlackBerry "Priv" devices is BlackBerry, and you've suffered a "privacy" breach, I guess this device does absolutely nothing beneficial to protect privacy. Gotcha."

Is there an image of the entire cast of ST:TNG doing a facepalm? Just Picard and Riker don't do it justice.
    "No,.. as you can see I'm not using or have even set up my own Priv,.."

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    09-28-15 11:43 AM
    he did look lost, swiping up and across, them blaming it on not being set up yet, i am sure i will be doing the same thing if i get the priv, them blame it on the software, sell the phone on ebay, go back to my tried and true z30...then regret i didnt give it a bigger chance
    09-28-15 11:51 AM
    Chen is actually from Hong Kong, I'm from the same high school (La Salle College) as him, it's an English as Medium of Instruction school.
    southlander likes this.
    09-28-15 12:25 PM
    Chen is actually from Hong Kong, I'm from the same high school (La Salle College) as him, it's an English as Medium of Instruction school.
    I did not know that. Again, his English is pretty good, so... there must be some other reason why these demos seem awkward and clumsy.

I think this is a simple case of "winging it" gone wrong. He did say it's not the final software etc. It's unfortunate: it would have been fair to say "I'm not prepared to demonstrate this device today but here, hold it in your hands, try it out a bit..." and of course setting up an Android device while a video camera is filming the screen is not something anyone sensible would do, so points to Chen for that.
    09-28-15 12:29 PM
    I agree ! And I still want one

BUT now this video is out and its ruined the hype.....people are talking about this AND not the phone
    I've noticed just lately that the video has been removed from many tech sites.
    09-28-15 12:29 PM

Jeff Gadway use to help Chen out.
    I always thought Gadway did an excellent job with this and was sorry to see him go.
    09-28-15 12:32 PM
    What happened to them?

Posted via CB10
    Jeff is at Hootsuite & Vivek at Apple.

Long story short, BlackBerry has VERY few talented staff with them at the moment. Michael Clewley is really all that's left to be honest, but he's never seen in public for some reason

If it's not JC, could it be concluded it's the DEVICE itself that is "awkward & clumsy" ??
    Jeff is at Hootsuite & Vivek at Apple.

Long story short, BlackBerry has VERY few talented staff with them at the moment. Michael Clewley is really all that's left to be honest, but he's never seen in public for some reason

Jeff is at VidYard.
    Donny is at HootSuite.
    Vivek is at Apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:47 PM
    Thanks. Didn't Donny always demonstrate the devices?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 02:03 PM
    The phone runs Alphabet, not "Google." Duh.
    southlander likes this.
    09-28-15 02:23 PM
    I have to agree with the thread author, if this occur with an employee he could be fire instantly.

It's incredible how the top guy in this company doesn't know how to deal with the product that could save them.
    He doesn't have to. But BBRY should absolutely have had their best, most charismatic talking head practice the crap out of the Priv and then shoved him/her on TV. BNN has a lot of viewers.

The head of PR should get a chewing out. That should never have been allowed to happen. It hurts their CEO's image and their own. They don't need any more of this!
    09-28-15 02:39 PM
    I already said it on Twitter last night and I mean no disrespect to John Chen but he needs some acting workshop lessons to learn how to put on a huge presentation. Even Managing Directors and CEO's who would have been invited to an event need to be presented a show. Steve Jobs was a master at presenting the next big thing and Tim Cook is good as well. I am not saying Chen should know the complete ins and outs of how to act, just the basic fundamentals to captivate an audience.
    The big difference is that job and cook are passionate about their company and are very much involved. Chen is a business flipper with no emotional attachment. I am not saying Chen is not good but Chen is in blackberry to save it as a business and he is greate at that. At least we know for sure he was using a blackberry as his phone and I would give him big credit for that.
    09-28-15 03:31 PM
    The big difference is that job and cook are passionate about their company and are very much involved. Chen is a business flipper with no emotional attachment. I am not saying Chen is not good but Chen is in blackberry to save it as a business and he is greate at that. At least we know for sure he was using a blackberry as his phone and I would give him big credit for that.
    You bring up a great point. I always wondered if he used a BB10 phone for real. I'm going to miss the gestures and swiping no matter what phone I go to after BB10.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-28-15 03:38 PM
    So let me get this straight. You have been clamoring for some leaked video of the event. Chen himself gives you a showing and you are upset about it? So what if he wasn't prepared? The device does launch for at least 2 months. It was a demo unit. Would you rather he refused to show it off? The first time the device was shown off it didn't even have working software and no one quarreled.

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 and david7saad like this.
    09-28-15 04:37 PM
    I find it refreshing, in a world led by communication experts, where Tim Cook's routine of 'thrilled, fantastic' presentation for the 'best ever' product seems to be the model everyone's copying.
    Chen is genuine, he looks smart even when he makes that sort of brief presentation.
    I don't care that he doesn't act as a CEO but then again was Ballmer's way better when he jumped on stage like doped monkey or gave more private thinkings like laughing at the iphone ... just to balance Cook's clinical and boring litanies with another big CEO more impetuous and expressive.
    Chen doesn't have to look after gravitas anyone knows he means business, and he is always prone to lighten the atmosphere (just as he does in his 'big' official presentations)... and when the reporter is such a nice woman I guess he lets himself go a little further and can't help showing off his... Priv.
    I really like his attitude, if only there were more 'down-to-earth' people like him presentations would be more enjoyable.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 05:20 PM
    He doesn't have to. But BBRY should absolutely have had their best, most charismatic talking head practice the crap out of the Priv and then shoved him/her on TV. BNN has a lot of viewers.

The head of PR should get a chewing out. That should never have been allowed to happen. It hurts their CEO's image and their own. They don't need any more of this!
    It's everywhere in the online media, it's a shame.

Just imagine Steve Jobs doing the same with an iPhone, unrealistic.

Priv is suppose to save the company, imagine if it wasn't.
    09-28-15 05:20 PM
147 ... 3456