09-01-15 12:37 PM
103 1234 ...
tools
    Android sucks!! Big time!! Android is one fine mess which needs high-end specs in order to function smoothly. I had the Note 4 prior to getting my Passport. That phone stuttered like crazy during what is supposed to be normal functioning of a phone.

That's the problem with Android. However high-end the specs are, the phones slow down after a certain period of time. This has been my experience after using 8 different flagship Androids.

And I don't know how secure the phone is going to be. I think that Android OS is inherently an insecure platform. If the foundation is weak, whatever you build on it, however secure, will still have vulnerabilities.

I've sworn off Android for life. So I definitely won't be buying this phone. For me, nothing beats the user experience of using BB10 and the peace of mind associated with the Blackberry security.

And yes, I think Blackberry is making a mistake by loading Android on premium Blackberry hardware. That is like telling BlackBerry loyalists that they are fools to keep on wanting to use BB10. Why not release such premium devices running BB10? Why BlackBerry, WHY?

Posted from my  Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    lift, Mr.Willie, zyxxiforr and 2 others like this.
    08-19-15 02:45 PM
    So in a highly saturated android market full of all touch devices, you want BlackBerry to make a device that's like all the other devices. Brilliant, I can't even begin to wonder why they aren't going this route -_-. In a saturated market you produce something different to make your self look more appealing.

Where is you data coming from in regards to the lack of interest? Have you surveyed a sample or merely assuming because you don't want one? A horizontal slider is far more awkward then a vertical slider. A vertical essentially mimics a VKB with physical keys.

Even if they made all the changes you wanted, you say "many may see the device and think BlackBerry of old". This would happen regardless of what they released, probably even more so running BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 02:57 PM
    Classic Armchair CEO oloshi yarns.

So what's your advise to BlackBerry so it succeeds then Mr?

Posted via CB10
    Jeez.

This is just a classic childish post. If you can't accept that a poster have not the same opinion than you, it's better to leave. The OP have the right to have his opinion.

Posted via my Passport
    shupor and lift like this.
    08-19-15 03:15 PM
    Go do a Google search. The edge is selling much less than the non edge. It has even been reported that the edge is selling far fewer than Samsung anticipated. As stated many times over, the curved screen is MUCH more costly and is nothing but a gimmick which will go away sooner than you think.
    I found the opposite.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...oor-q2-623118/

Edge demand was unexpected and samsung can't produce enough edge screens.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 03:23 PM
    I just agree with the first one. BlackBerry shouldn't get Android... I escaped to BlackBerry because of Android.
    BlackBerry as a company needs to survive. Take a longer-term view of the company whose phone you are using and realize that currently, there just isn't enough BBRY users to keep its hardware division viable. In this dynamic market, Chen is trying to do something different with the bases loaded, two outs, and the count 0-2 in the 8th inning with the game on the line. Maybe he'll strike out on the Slider (no pun intended) or maybe he hit a grand slam. Heck, any hit will do, but right he is doing his best fighting off some tough pitches in a very hostile environment.
    08-19-15 03:27 PM
    You're certainly entitled you your opinion, however to say that he "blew" it infers that you can predict the future.
    You should have titled it "Chen is going to blow it on Slider", then it would be more appropriate, IMO.

There's good reason to be skeptical of android on BB, and there's good reasons for being optimistic about the potential.
    BB always gets bad reviews from gadget guys mostly because of lack of the "ecosystem". Combine lack of marketing with this kind of bad press and we are where we are because of it. This device can gain traction if the reviews are good and the marketing follows.

If this doesn't work out, well there's always that Enterprise software and government thingy we got going for us (sarcasm of course).
    KingOfQwerty and Irish Blues like this.
    08-19-15 03:59 PM
    I'm inclined to agree with OP's title. I am sure the slider has its place (I have met some people who refuse to give up their Torch, or lament about how great their Torch was...) however I agree that a slider phone is not going to be in demand in the current consumer market. It may have been a better idea to release either an all-touch or keyboard device first, as Chen has inferred that if the next handset release doesn't meet target, BBRY may get out of the handset buiz altogether.

Or, maybe it all comes down to marketing, and it just needs some kick *** marketing to sell. Certainly, if I'd heard about Blend before, I would have come back to BlackBerry much sooner!

Posted via CB10
    Griffin2012, techvisor and lift like this.
    08-19-15 04:15 PM
    #4 only the thin screen will slide up so you'll still be holding onto the base bulk of the phone. The screen from the side profile of the device looks thick only because of the curved edge which should also add strength to it... I just mean, it shouldn't differ much from using any other portrait kb device from a balance standpoint
    08-19-15 06:17 PM
    I know a lot of people here on CrackBerry seem to like the slider. It is my opinion it is going to be a major fail. Please hear me out and really give this some thought.
    Reasons I feel it will fail (not in order of importance, and probably more reasons I can't think of right now):

1) Running android with the BlackBerry name on it.
    2) Curved screen.
    3) Slider (also see #4, #6 and #10)
    4) Vertical slider (cramped keys for large hands, Device too tall)
    5) Expecting price to be too high and to be a turn off to many already running android devices. (High specs and curved screen)
    6) VERY small number of people actually interested in a slider at all. (Almost all androids are full touch)
    7) Not a Samsung, LG, Motorola etc. (Very established names in android devices)
    8) Carriers may carry it but will NOT be pushing it because it is not Samsung or Apple
    8a) Carriers probably will not even display or stock in stores.
    9) MANY may see the device and think (old school BlackBerry regardless of operating system)
    10) Sorry to say this guys and gals but A SLIDER as the first BlackBerry to jump into a saturated android market??? Really???
    11) Should have been an all touch to try and get into saturated android market.
    I have to wonder who at BlackBerry was the major driver of this device. I think Chen and crew really blew it with this device and this is going to bankrupt the hardware division of the company.
    I have talked to many friends and family about BlackBerry coming out with a slider and the responses are not positive at all.
    Just look at all the people making fun of the PKB case for the Samsung.
    Sorry I can't help feel this way. I love BlackBerry the way it is now. I wish BlackBerry the best but see this as a major waste their of time and money.
    Most of the points you make are simply hard to swallow:

1) Surely there will be a BB10 version aswell. And Android simply, AND BY FAR the most popular OS in the market. so where's the fail? that it wont come with android? Tizen? WebOS?
    2) Yeah, because Samsung galaxy S6 has been such a "failiure", they sell like hot cakes despite being one of the most expensive phones on the market... yes, it's gimmicky, doesn't add much functionality, but surely it grabs the people's atention.
    3) It's something new on the Market, not more of the same
    4) Cramped? The only bigger keyboard in blackberry line up is the Passport, Slider's keyboard will be the second largest.
    5) high specs, high price. Every smartphone works like that. Blackberry used to have crap specs but with high price still, so this is actually a BIG win for previous BB users. Market will tell
    6) Blackberry has been selling full touch and nobody seemed to care, so at least they are trying something different.
    7) not a samsung or a LG... The company name is Blackberry, do you want them to seel the phone called "Louis Vuitton"? Where's the device's fault?
    8) That's not the device's fault. You can't simply borrow the name of the competition can't you?
    9) This point enters in conflict with 2). It has a curved screen, good to show that it's a high tech device, not a old same Blackberry.
    10) How long have you been in Blackberry? Blackberry launched BB10 with a full touch device (z10, the Q10 only came a few months after), and it was a failiure. They are trying something new.
    11) One of the basics of "marketing" is that when you enter a saturated market, you should introduce some "diferentiation factor". But you somehow want to redifine the rules but entering a saturated market with exactly the same thing with what the market is saturated with... JUST LOL...
    zyxxiforr likes this.
    08-19-15 06:26 PM
    Why bother, Chen does not seem to listen to LOYAL BB users at all.
    Blackberry is a harsh mistress.
    08-19-15 06:45 PM
    In other words you don't like change.

That pretty much sums it up. Posts like theses are in every consumer/hobbyist forum on the Web. Be it vacuum tube amps vs. Modelers, gas vs electric cars, Windows XP vs Win 7, Uber vs Taxis, or BBOS vs Android. It's all the same.

And same results a year from now: the new stuff is out there co-existing with the old. People using & accepting the new stuff. Next year something else will come on new to disrupt the old & the cycle starts all over again.

Give it a break for chrissakes.
    08-19-15 06:49 PM
    BlackBerry's typical LSD-induced pricing will most likely doom the device. They really need to try to sell premium device with not so premium pricing for once. Otherwise it'll be another dud as usual.
    08-19-15 07:02 PM
    Man.. BlackBerry must be relieved to have such low expectations to live up to. *phew*

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and Xaiux like this.
    08-19-15 07:07 PM
    If this was in the Classic form factor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    08-19-15 07:09 PM
    All based on unofficial rumours. Let's wait until BlackBerry actually says something.
    If you knew. No, Ozfork won't talk... ;-)

  BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!  
    08-19-15 07:42 PM
    slider is a niche market for sure. don't see it selling more than Z10/Z30/PP sales combined.

How many people think there will be an actual commercial for it in the states?
    techvisor likes this.
    08-19-15 10:32 PM
    BlackBerry's typical LSD-induced pricing will most likely doom the device. They really need to try to sell premium device with not so premium pricing for once. Otherwise it'll be another dud as usual.
    but. but. people will be paying for the name.... BBRY... and the pkb... BBRY.... BBRY.. ftw... dude.
    08-19-15 10:34 PM
    All those who feel that Android is like, ahem, Adenoids - that's actually quite true for most skinned OEMs.

But the vanilla version Nexus & Android One series are easily better than WP and iOS...

So if BlackBerry can/ has:
    A) put the main BB10 stuff in there, and...
    B) it's non-skinned android, then...

a) it could be quite a good device, and...
    b) JC better stop the leaks!!!

 Q5 / Z30
    08-19-15 11:13 PM
    Since yall are predicting the future, what's up on those lottery numbers??

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 12:28 AM
    10) Sorry to say this guys and gals but A SLIDER as the first BlackBerry to jump into a saturated android market??? Really???
    Sorry Sir but you are joking, right? So your advice would be that BlackBerry should have entered the Android market with a form factor every other damn manufacturer offers? So how could this BlackBerry device stand out? Different icon theme? Curved glass? Lol!

BlackBerry is about keyboard devices not about BB10!

The Slider will stand out where all the other devices do not, and believe me: Many people have been waiting for an Android keyboard device for years now after the huge success of the Droid 1, 2 and 3.

Manufacturers always said "Market research sais people prefer touch only devices". That's not entirely true! Customers were always pissed off that every qwerty slider had less high end hardware and a smaller screen than other flagships! It always was some kind of compromise. But now BlackBerry finally does it right! High end, big screen, great keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Going The Distance likes this.
    08-20-15 01:56 AM
    I can already see Bla1ze thinking "I'm not even going to respond to this one"

We have no real information what it will run. If it runs BlackBerry 10 and Android this means market will see something new. It will turn heads. Sliding keyboard is interesting, and unlike Samsungs idea, it's not ugly as hell. Don't say the device will fail before we even know anything concrete about it.

I just hope it will run BB10
    08-20-15 03:15 AM
    Its simple.. you are not the target market for the product.

Ill buy it. Because it offers me the best of two worlds.. if its bb10 then great! If its Android still not bad.. I prefer bb10 but android has its advantages when it comes to the ecosystem. Having a keypad whenever I need it is a good thing.. and at night when everyones asleep I can use the touch screen. The fact that its 16:9 ratio also provides an advantage compared to 1:1 atleast looking at entertainment perspective.

Ill but it because even if its not bb10 at the end of the day im loyal to the Brand and I always want to be different than everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    John Villareal likes this.
    08-20-15 03:44 AM
    Wow, lots of people are getting awfully excited about a rumoured phone. Go on and live your life, and enjoy whatever mobile device is in your pocket right now.
    lakshay_sin likes this.
    08-20-15 06:57 AM
    I know a lot of people here on CrackBerry seem to like the slider. It is my opinion it is going to be a major fail. Please hear me out and really give this some thought.
    Reasons I feel it will fail (not in order of importance, and probably more reasons I can't think of right now):

1) Running android with the BlackBerry name on it.
    2) Curved screen.
    3) Slider (also see #4, #6 and #10)
    4) Vertical slider (cramped keys for large hands, Device too tall)
    5) Expecting price to be too high and to be a turn off to many already running android devices. (High specs and curved screen)
    6) VERY small number of people actually interested in a slider at all. (Almost all androids are full touch)
    7) Not a Samsung, LG, Motorola etc. (Very established names in android devices)
    8) Carriers may carry it but will NOT be pushing it because it is not Samsung or Apple
    8a) Carriers probably will not even display or stock in stores.
    9) MANY may see the device and think (old school BlackBerry regardless of operating system)
    I have to wonder who at BlackBerry was the major driver of this device. I think Chen and crew really blew it with this device and this is going to bankrupt the hardware division of the company.
    I have talked to many friends and family about BlackBerry coming out with a slider and the responses are not positive at all.
    Just look at all the people making fun of the PKB case for the Samsung.
    Sorry I can't help feel this way. I love BlackBerry the way it is now. I wish BlackBerry the best but see this as a major waste their of time and money.
    Great points,I'm with you ,lol
    lift likes this.
    08-20-15 07:01 AM
    In my opinion. Slider phone will be a hit in the markets.
    Blackberry has always been known for its unique designs. But being too tall can really be a setback for the device as compared to the torch.
    Lets see what happens.
    #waitingDesperatelyForBBVenice
    08-20-15 07:06 AM
103 1234 ...