10) Sorry to say this guys and gals but A SLIDER as the first BlackBerry to jump into a saturated android market??? Really???
    11) Should have been an all touch to try and get into saturated android market.
    As you said, the Android market is saturated with all touch devices, so why would anyone buy a BlackBerry all touch device when there are 2 dozen other offerings to chose from. The slider adds a key point of differentiation while solving for the app gap and the market's lack of acceptance of BB10.

I'm not willing to predict whether or not this strategy will be successful, but I get the slider concept- physical keyboard while maintaining full screen that the market has moved to. This could be the best of both worlds. We'll see about adoption.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 07:22 AM
    In my opinion. Slider phone will be a hit in the markets.
    Blackberry has always been known for its unique designs. But being too tall can really be a setback for the device as compared to the torch.
    Lets see what happens.
    #waitingDesperatelyForBBVenice
    Unless they have a major shift in their marketing policies and do some advertising... I'm not sure the "markets" will ever know about it.
    08-20-15 07:23 AM
    It looks like a poorly designed remote control
    08-20-15 07:39 AM
    Everything about the slider is pure conjecture at this point other than that BB spoke of a future phone and showed a mock up, you're fussing about smoke, get real.
    08-20-15 08:02 AM
    1) Running android with the BlackBerry name on it.
    Yeah, I feel that android will deter BB10 fans, and Blackberry name will make the phone completely invisible to android fans and sale reps.

2) Curved screen.
    3) Slider (also see #4, #6 and #10)
    Those might be good, depending on implementation

4) Vertical slider (cramped keys for large hands, Device too tall)
    I agree on the "too tall" part, but overall, vertical sliders are much better than horizontal:
    - can use the keyboard one-handed
    - can be set to answer and end phone calls by sliding the phone

5) Expecting price to be too high and to be a turn off to many already running android devices. (High specs and curved screen)
    This is probably true, but we'll see

6) VERY small number of people actually interested in a slider at all. (Almost all androids are full touch)
    And that means absolutely no competition. Yes, it is a niche, but I think it's big enough. It's been MANY years since there was any android slider phone with close-to-flagship specs

7) Not a Samsung, LG, Motorola etc. (Very established names in android devices)
    And this is probably the biggest problem. Common people associate the Blackberry name with old phones, what the phones really are doesn't really matter.

8) Carriers may carry it but will NOT be pushing it because it is not Samsung or Apple
    8a) Carriers probably will not even display or stock in stores.
    Yes. same as above.

9) MANY may see the device and think (old school BlackBerry regardless of operating system)
    I'd even say MOST, not MANY

10) Sorry to say this guys and gals but A SLIDER as the first BlackBerry to jump into a saturated android market??? Really???
    The only possible jump to Android is a slider. A full touch BB android would have absolutely nothing to offer, and the BB name rule mentioned above still applies.

NO. See above. They have no way of being noticed with full touch android. Just another manufacturer that won't make money. Slider is their only chance of getting any press IMO.
    lift likes this.
    08-20-15 08:22 AM
    You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Some people ... think they should be pleased all of the time.
    08-20-15 08:31 AM
    Absolutely! you can't make best of the product & hope to sell it with zero marketing
    08-20-15 08:39 AM
    An Android Slider with capacitive kb is the perfect entry into BB Android.

Pair it with an Android Passport and you have two offering that are really really different. Make sure you show the capacitive TRACKPAD on demos. There is nothing else like that.
    08-20-15 09:03 AM
    How do you know the Slider will be a big flip when it's not launched yet? And how do you know 100% for sure that it's an Android phone? If it's running Android, do you think BlackBerry will have a chance with an all touch device instead of the Slider? It wouldn't matter what specs BlackBerry puts on an all touch because as soon as the average Joe sees the BlackBerry logo, chances are they wouldn't even touch it. In the world of Android, you have to differentiate yourself with something unique otherwise you'd better have a mountain of cash like Samsung to throw all the ads you can in people's faces to get them to try your devices. Even with impressive specs, an all touch BlackBerry Android slab would just be another "me too" product just like HTC, Sony et al that are having an extremely tough time in the smartphone race.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    08-20-15 09:17 AM
    Dear Z50 (I love your nick, btw, waiting on a 'Z50' myself),

You don't seem to get how saturated markets and differentiation works... Or who the target market for the Android Slider really is...

Saturated markets demand you bring some added bonus to the table. Did you see the leaked images that show the device having a proper virual keyboard? You don't have to use the physical keybaord if you don't like it. That's diferentiation.

BUT that's the thing is: I think this is BlackBerry saying "Ok. You said you miss the physical keybord but won't let go of Android. We hear ya. Here's your device". That's (half) their target market. The other half are business that are tired of the "two device" scenario. To those BlackBerry is also saying "Here is your device. All our BB goodies IT wants, and all the Android goodies your users want". Hey! It's Android! Any EMM platform out there will do. The company doesn't need to invest on a BES12 to dip its toe on BlackBerry (and we know that could lead to BES12 deployment).

Is it going to sell like hot cakes? Unlikely.
    Are carriers going to be all over it? Unlikely.
    Will it change people's brand perception? Unlikely.
    Did Chen blow it? Unlikely.

Will it do well on enterprise markets? Probably. As well as any other BB10 device, I'd assume (whatever that means).

So, long story short, yeah, I won't buy that device. Most of us won't. But it's not the end of the world as we know it either. Rumors said there will be a BB10 variat. So far all rumors came true...
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-20-15 at 09:59 AM.
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    08-20-15 09:49 AM
    What Slider? BB release a new device? Oh that's right proto-test devices in the field....

Until something is officially released it really doesn't exist.
    08-20-15 10:08 AM
    Jeez.

This is just a classic childish post. If you can't accept that a poster have not the same opinion than you, it's better to leave. The OP have the right to have his opinion.

Posted via my Passport
    #Phuckyofeelings dude I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 12:29 PM
    The head of this Thread is true and I notice since the last few weeks that it is damaging BlackBerry is Sales.

I have since the last 2-3 weeks problems to talk about BlackBerry devices and specially about BBOS10.

I feel like an ***** talking because the backfire is that the all mention that BlackBerry goes Android. The Second is that people starting to see the BlackBerry Leap like a Android device with lesses specs that the S5 or S6.

I don't mention it anymore or BES and just selling MobileIron and phones. Trust me that at the moment this ANdroid story is damaging BlackBerry and also there own hardcore users that will be turn away from BlackBerry. I know some like it and more dislike it at the end.

I keep my Passport and will move on but still I believe the Slider will become out with BB10 and that's the moment I will buy one but with android and no active frames, gesture and back to a home and back button is a NO GO for me.
    08-20-15 01:04 PM
    Will it do well on enterprise markets? Probably. As well as any other BB10 device, I'd assume (whatever that means).

So, long story short, yeah, I won't buy that device. Most of us won't. But it's not the end of the world as we know it either. Rumors said there will be a BB10 variat. So far all rumors came true...
    I'm very interested to see Enterprise reaction to BlackBerry changing platforms yet again..... not sure just how positive they'll see it either.
    08-20-15 03:55 PM
    First device to enter a saturated android market? How is going in with a slider a bad idea? Go in with what? A candy bar shaped device that will blend in with every other device on the market besides the passport? I think this is a great idea and will do very well.

Better idea then the keyboard attachment samsung came out with!
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-20-15 03:59 PM
    I think all products should be pre-judged and then I'll know if I should bother to read the actual reviews.
    08-20-15 08:37 PM
    I'm very interested to see Enterprise reaction to BlackBerry changing platforms yet again..... not sure just how positive they'll see it either.
    I just don't think all the doom and gloom is in order (as freaking usual).

BB10 can remain on the back burner getting maintenance releases and security updates for a long while and coexist with Android devices.

You want security? BB10.
    You want to appease your userbase while still getting SOME security? BB's Android.

As a consumer, I don't like any of it either. I want QT updated, Android Runtime 5.1 with Google Services, a freaking Z50 with guts to rival the mother of Android flagships, native Instagram, Pinterest, Tinder, Netflix and all those apps that are only relevant for a few weeks! Air-head celebrity endorcements that don't mean jack! TV ads and device placement in movies! THE WORKS.

Chen blew it on slider (opinion)-galadriel_green_3.jpg

Erm.. sorry. As I was saying. As a business consultant, I can see what they are doing and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fewer and fewer people do though and THAT's what is killing the company. Not Chen.

Just... Not gonna buy the Slider. I am past physical keyboards (hence no Passport). I want a proper follow up to the Z30. They keep me as a client because I will remain on the Z30 till it kicks the bucket. They better have something for me then. I don't really find buying another Z30 two years from now an inteligent decision (and don't even mention the Leap lol).
    7onZ and jay64 like this.
    08-20-15 10:25 PM
    I know a lot of people here on CrackBerry seem to like the slider. It is my opinion it is going to be a major fail. Please hear me out and really give this some thought.
    Reasons I feel it will fail (not in order of importance, and probably more reasons I can't think of right now):

1) Running android with the BlackBerry name on it.
    2) Curved screen.
    3) Slider (also see #4, #6 and #10)
    4) Vertical slider (cramped keys for large hands, Device too tall)
    5) Expecting price to be too high and to be a turn off to many already running android devices. (High specs and curved screen)
    6) VERY small number of people actually interested in a slider at all. (Almost all androids are full touch)
    7) Not a Samsung, LG, Motorola etc. (Very established names in android devices)
    8) Carriers may carry it but will NOT be pushing it because it is not Samsung or Apple
    8a) Carriers probably will not even display or stock in stores.
    9) MANY may see the device and think (old school BlackBerry regardless of operating system)
    I have to wonder who at BlackBerry was the major driver of this device. I think Chen and crew really blew it with this device and this is going to bankrupt the hardware division of the company.
    I have talked to many friends and family about BlackBerry coming out with a slider and the responses are not positive at all.
    Just look at all the people making fun of the PKB case for the Samsung.
    Sorry I can't help feel this way. I love BlackBerry the way it is now. I wish BlackBerry the best but see this as a major waste their of time and money.

Android users will still get the full touch feature, it's just that they have a built in option (compare to Samsung) the PKB. It is like a Note device, you use the pen or you don't. We don't know yet how cramped the keys are. Iphone 6 plus has 5.5" display too and the keys are fine for thumbs to well land in.

There are many Android users who want to change brand names, but they have less options due to the fact that the hardware is not competitive enough for them to migrate.

Frankly speaking, I don't have a problem is BlackBerry will launch a one phone to tell its customers how great BES12 is, but what disappoints me is them abandoning again a great OS for consumers. This just break the trust of loyal fans. There won't be any phone good for work and play for me like what the slider is targeted into. I am just waiting for BlackBerry Experience Suit to come out on iOS so I can fully migrate in there.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-20-15 10:58 PM
    when I reluctantly dumped my nokia flip in 2010 for a pantech link messenger, I was greatly impressed with the interface, but I wasn't yet aware I'd become a blackberry fan. it was the physical keyboard. in 2012 I chose a torch 9810 over the pantech crossover, and since i owned both of them for a short while, the choice was a no-brainer.

what bothered me about BB during those days was the business image they were presenting, there was so much rumor about OS 7 in the name of stock value that I burned out on the final product. I absolutely LOVE the 9810, but it did take a while to get over the disappointment I experienced due to over-hyping.

now I'm driving a classic, and i'm too happy to express my satisfaction with the physical interface, and with OS 10 & the Android mix, without rambling off-topic.

it seems to me that the (physical) flaw in this new slider is obvious. where the designers missed, imo, is in not exploiting the 16:9 orientation when open. this new incarnation should be a horizontal slider with a keyboard in the middle about the same size as the classic's, with a toolbelt (trackpad) above it & stereo speakers. Miracast & HDMI would be world-class, stand-alone multimedia would be mind-blowing, and comfortable gaming would be something new to BB users, etc.

none of us still here mind the weight & bulk, so that's a non-issue.

did that make sense? I know what I'm picturing but I don't know if described it well enough to envision.
    Last edited by augidog; 08-21-15 at 04:19 AM.
    08-21-15 03:42 AM
    You said you don't want it to be Android but then you said you do want it to be Android. :/
    08-21-15 07:37 AM
    I just don't think all the doom and gloom is in order (as freaking usual).

BB10 can remain on the back burner getting maintenance releases and security updates for a long while and coexist with Android devices.

You want security? BB10.
    You want to appease your userbase while still getting SOME security? BB's Android.

As a consumer, I don't like any of it either. I want QT updated, Android Runtime 5.1 with Google Services, a freaking Z50 with guts to rival the mother of Android flagships, native Instagram, Pinterest, Tinder, Netflix and all those apps that are only relevant for a few weeks! Air-head celebrity endorcements that don't mean jack! TV ads and device placement in movies! THE WORKS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galadriel_green_3.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	367718

Erm.. sorry. As I was saying. As a business consultant, I can see what they are doing and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fewer and fewer people do though and THAT's what is killing the company. Not Chen.

Just... Not gonna buy the Slider. I am past physical keyboards (hence no Passport). I want a proper follow up to the Z30. They keep me as a client because I will remain on the Z30 till it kicks the bucket. They better have something for me then. I don't really find buying another Z30 two years from now an inteligent decision (and don't even mention the Leap lol).
    Benefit of the doubt.... why?

Sorry for the Doom and Gloom.... I've live through the STORM, PlayBook, Z10 and launch of BB10 (along with a stable but out of date 9650). I gave them the benefit of the doubt way too many times to keep doing it.

But if you want to keep dreaming about the Z50 and how BB10 is going to be improve in the coming months with ... just stay asleep.

Yeah it's a BlackBerry Fan site and I ought to leave.....
    diegonei likes this.
    08-21-15 08:10 AM
    Xiaomi and Huawei made it to the top very fast. They were new names in that market too. BlackBerry is at least known for good keyboards.
    [[/B]Both business model are not based on profit for selling handsets, but service. LIke Amazon's pad is not based on making profit on hardware...
    08-21-15 08:40 AM
    Sorry I can't help feel this way. I love BlackBerry the way it is now. I wish BlackBerry the best but see this as a major waste their of time and money.
    Strange comment: you love BB the way it is now? - what do you mean? the device format? you sure not mean to be the market share or business now... please clarify.
    08-21-15 08:45 AM
    [[/B]Both business model are not based on profit for selling handsets, but service. LIke Amazon's pad is not based on making profit on hardware...
    It's starting too look more and more like BIS was a BIG portion of BlackBerry Services revenues also (that or BES is going down the drain). Of course they have always tried to ask a premium for their hardware too. So for a while they were able to double dip as it were....

Still think a "consideration" on offering consumer Cloud Services, like Apple is doing now. Might have been a smarter move when BB10 launched.

Little extra level of security, personal BlackBerry email, Cloud Backup, Cloud Storage... wouldn't have replaced the BIS loses, but it would have helped. But yeah, there was still the app problem.

But even now with a move to Android.... still think these are features that some would pay for. I've seen just how useful iCloud can be when getting a new device... especially when you are forced to get one because the original one is inaccessible. BlackBerry's reliance on a PC is a very strange solution.
    08-21-15 09:30 AM
    It is a gimmick. People fall for them every day. Give one a try yourself and see that it really is a terrible idea.
    Blackberry cant expect it to work for a 3rd time now. I am betting the note outsells the edge+ also.
    S6 hasn't outsold the S6 Edge. In fact, they've been selling 1:1, way more than Samsung expected. Gimmick or not, people want it.
    08-21-15 10:02 AM
103 12345