So when I get my Priv, I installed 16GB SD card as internal storage. Recently I bought 32GB one and want to use it. Is there any way to move the data on 16 to 32 aside from backing up manually to my PC harddisk and then moving it to the new card? Can I perhaps use USB OTG to directly transfer from the old to the new card?

Also, I tried to install the 32GB on my Priv, I set it as internal storage but when I open File Manager, it said that my old card is not inserted and the internal storage is only Priv's internal, doesn't include the new card. Do I need to 'forget' the old card first in system storage so the new one is recognizable?

Which one is better, using it as internal storage or as external?

Thank you
    11-18-17 12:43 PM
    So when I get my Priv, I installed 16GB SD card as internal storage. Recently I bought 32GB one and want to use it. Is there any way to move the data on 16 to 32 aside from backing up manually to my PC harddisk and then moving it to the new card? Can I perhaps use USB OTG to directly transfer from the old to the new card?

Also, I tried to install the 32GB on my Priv, I set it as internal storage but when I open File Manager, it said that my old card is not inserted and the internal storage is only Priv's internal, doesn't include the new card. Do I need to 'forget' the old card first in system storage so the new one is recognizable?

Which one is better, using it as internal storage or as external?

Thank you
    I just replace the old card with the new, let it format, connect device to PC/Mac via USB, connect old card via reader or adapter and just drag and drop. I've always set my cards to external, seems to work for me.
    11-18-17 01:04 PM
    If you set the first card as internal, (really bad idea) it will only be readable while in that phone. You cannot pull it out and put in a card reader on a PC.
    Write cycles on an SD are limited, you can get plenty of cycles, but using as internal, it's constantly being written to, and will not hold up well. SD memory is also slower than the phones real internal, so having apps there makes the whole device slower,
    If either the phone or the card gets the encryption key garbled, (and it's not infrequent) then the card is useless, (it's not even heavy enough to use as a paper weight).
    The Priv doesn't need extra internal memory, set the card up as external, put your pics, vids and music on it, and you will have plenty of real, internal memory for all the apps you could possibly need or want. Doing it that way, you only have a write cycle when you first put a file there, anything with that file going forward is a read cycle, and read cycles are pretty much unlimited.
    SD as internal is for really, really cheap phones, (think third world) where memory is measured in MB.
    SD memory is roughly half the price as the on chip memory, there's a reason for that.

Not sure how, as I would never use SD as internal, but there is a way to revert the old card to external. Then you can do what you want with it. And you won't have any problems using multiple cards.
    andy957 and riph like this.
    11-18-17 07:38 PM
    I just replace the old card with the new, let it format, connect device to PC/Mac via USB, connect old card via reader or adapter and just drag and drop. I've always set my cards to external, seems to work for me.
    Yeah I can't do that since I formatted it as internal

If you set the first card as internal, (really bad idea) it will only be readable while in that phone. You cannot pull it out and put in a card reader on a PC.
    Write cycles on an SD are limited, you can get plenty of cycles, but using as internal, it's constantly being written to, and will not hold up well. SD memory is also slower than the phones real internal, so having apps there makes the whole device slower,
    If either the phone or the card gets the encryption key garbled, (and it's not infrequent) then the card is useless, (it's not even heavy enough to use as a paper weight).
    The Priv doesn't need extra internal memory, set the card up as external, put your pics, vids and music on it, and you will have plenty of real, internal memory for all the apps you could possibly need or want. Doing it that way, you only have a write cycle when you first put a file there, anything with that file going forward is a read cycle, and read cycles are pretty much unlimited.
    SD as internal is for really, really cheap phones, (think third world) where memory is measured in MB.
    SD memory is roughly half the price as the on chip memory, there's a reason for that.

Not sure how, as I would never use SD as internal, but there is a way to revert the old card to external. Then you can do what you want with it. And you won't have any problems using multiple cards.
    Yes I kinda realize it was quite a bad idea to use SD card as internal, as it is not readable on my PC except to connect my Priv right away. I thought that is the only drawback, and I get some performance boost in return. But when you said it just make the whole device slower I just feel stupid lol there's no point using it as internal then. Is there no upside at all for using SD card as internal? But seeing the hassle I think I'm going to manually backup the data and just use the new card as external

Thanks for the info!
    11-19-17 01:11 PM
    Is there no upside at all for using SD card as internal?
    The only up side is that it's encrypted, which is also it's it's major downside, as you don't have the encryption key. The phone does, but it ain't sharing it, not even with you. And if the phone, or card, forgets even a tiny portion of the key, you're screwed.
    For the vast majority of us, there is no need to encrypt our music, vids or pics.
    And someone has to have physical possession of the card, it's not as if the contents can be gotten over the air.
    11-19-17 08:01 PM