A lot of repair places do not carry bb parts and I thought I should just buy my own - though I didn't ask if they'd replace them for me and for how much (I'm in Canada). What do you think or have experienced?
    This would be my 3 charging port, the current one only lasted 6 months before having to get creative with the cable angles & now stopped working altogether at the year mark. There are so many parts on ebay, I don't know which one to buy? What say you, oh, great forumites?
    09-29-19 05:33 AM
    At this point, the area near charging port may have some damage and not protecting charging port. Sounds like replacing the phone might be the better idea this go around.
    09-29-19 11:49 AM
    Oh, no! :'(
    I'm not ready to give up the screen size or the keyboard
    Exedorable likes this.
    09-30-19 06:03 PM
    Update: after many hours overnight, phone shows 60% charge but sometimes at 45 it turns on or the restart drains it to 0... I really hope to save it, I don't mind spending $25 on parts, I just don't know which to buy
    10-01-19 05:27 AM
    I paid a lot to try fixing microUSB but turns out it was the connection block on the motherboard so I found a pull and paid to put that in... fix lasted less than a week... The experience was dreadful... they guy canceled some of the bill... I bought a KEYᵒⁿᵉ which performs much better but had screen pop they fixed and battery swelling I fixed... reliability in high priced phones is terrible... Samsung is pulling out of China... they're correct... it's junk
    10-05-19 10:16 PM
    I just had my phone repair guy change the port on my nearly 4 year old Priv because it wouldn't accept a charge. He also couldn't find BlackBerry parts but was able to use a port for another phone instead. Since he was going to take apart the phone anyway, I also had him replace the 9 month old battery. I just got it back and it's charging fine again, but I will never get the battery life of a Key2.
    11-02-19 12:13 PM
    I just had my phone repair guy change the port on my nearly 4 year old Priv because it wouldn't accept a charge. He also couldn't find BlackBerry parts but was able to use a port for another phone instead. Since he was going to take apart the phone anyway, I also had him replace the 9 month old battery. I just got it back and it's charging fine again, but I will never get the battery life of a Key2.
    Your original battery was only 9 months old??

Does the replacement hold a charge better?

Is the replacement an original BB branded battery or a third party Chinese one?
    11-11-19 08:08 PM
    The 9 month old battery was actually the third one I have had in my Priv. I don't know if it was a Chinese battery or original from the factory. It worked fine for about a week, then started having the same issues with not consistently charging through the USB port. I'm thinking that it's maybe a software problem, especially since the new battery is draining past 50%, the same as the previous one.

Right now I'm getting by with using the wireless charging and the USB port occasionally accepting a charge. I may break down and get the Key2, but I know that as soon as I do BlackBerry will come out with a brand new Priv2.
    11-16-19 07:10 AM
    etradesupply has plenty of BlackBerry parts. shipping may take a little while but their selection is surprisingly good and it's supposed to be OEM parts.
    11-16-19 05:50 PM
    I just bought a "like brand new" Priv as I painfully leave my beloved Windows Phone ecosystem with its USB-C port on both an Alcatel and a Microsoft.

Knowing the high failure rate of micro-USB both by observation and experience with a few devices, I bought a Qi docking station. I figure the less I use the port, the better.

I've also found that a borderline defective micro-USB will work with some cables and not others. Try changing the cable.
    11-21-19 08:24 AM
    I just bought a "like brand new" Priv as I painfully leave my beloved Windows Phone ecosystem with its USB-C port on both an Alcatel and a Microsoft.

Knowing the high failure rate of micro-USB both by observation and experience with a few devices, I bought a Qi docking station. I figure the less I use the port, the better.

I've also found that a borderline defective micro-USB will work with some cables and not others. Try changing the cable.
    Where does one find a "like brand new" Priv these days? eBay?
    11-21-19 09:31 AM
    Where does one find a "like brand new" Priv these days? eBay?
    Yes. "Seller refurbished." Which can mean absolutely nothing, or they cleaned it up and maybe did a factory reset. In my case, I think they were just being cautious, they couldn't claim new, obviously. It already had Marshmallow on it, so maybe it was a later production unit.

It was a T-Mobile phone, so now I have Wifi Calling, VoLTE (HD Voice) and all the low frequency bands that TMO has been buying up and activating. Those give much longer range and better building penetration.

Best of all, only $140! So I bought a two year warranty for $40, too.
    11-21-19 10:11 AM

I had two PlayBooks that had ports go out... both got repaired under warranty and I switched to the magnetic charger.

But of the six other devices I've used, I've never had another port go out. Now it does seem to be more common with the PRIV and the DETKs, kinda like with the PlayBooks. Kinda shocked with my Z10, as it pretty much had to be plugged in any chance I got. But it's still working.
    11-21-19 10:21 AM
    Hello. I have put a new battery, seems an oe one but the battery life it's weak. Do you know if it's needed a time for calibration?
    11-22-19 05:32 AM
    Hello. I have put a new battery, seems an oe one but the battery life it's weak. Do you know if it's needed a time for calibration?
    I think you mean OEM, but I doubt it. Batteries coming out of China , as they all are, are probably counterfeits. Look at the replacement batteries on Amazon and the reviews. For a given "brand," highly variable results and they all say BB on them. A genuine BB battery would be held to high standards.

One easy thing you can do is run the phone all the way down to shutoff several times. It sounds like mythology, but I have been working with batteries for many decades. The old nicad batteries HAD to be fully discharged from time to time or else they way act like they were of much lower capacity. 'Nicad memory." After I did this once on my Priv , it suddenly starting sipping current and giving me good run times.

There is no such thing as "calibrating" a battery.

Good luck!
    11-28-19 09:43 AM
    I think you mean OEM, but I doubt it. Batteries coming out of China , as they all are, are probably counterfeits. Look at the replacement batteries on Amazon and the reviews. For a given "brand," highly variable results and they all say BB on them. A genuine BB battery would be held to high standards.

One easy thing you can do is run the phone all the way down to shutoff several times. It sounds like mythology, but I have been working with batteries for many decades. The old nicad batteries HAD to be fully discharged from time to time or else they way act like they were of much lower capacity. 'Nicad memory." After I did this once on my Priv , it suddenly starting sipping current and giving me good run times.

There is no such thing as "calibrating" a battery.

Good luck!
    I believe it’s merely that many have picked up terminology from repair shops and therefore certain terminology lives on that’s all

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Battery_...e_your_battery
    11-28-19 09:52 AM
    I had two PlayBooks that had ports go out... both got repaired under warranty and I switched to the magnetic charger.

But of the six other devices I've used, I've never had another port go out. Now it does seem to be more common with the PRIV and the DETKs, kinda like with the PlayBooks. Kinda shocked with my Z10, as it pretty much had to be plugged in any chance I got. But it's still working.
    Interesting. I had the USB-B port (that's how old it was) on my very first BB go out. Luckily, it had contacts for a charging dock, so I could keep using it.

I took no chances with the Torch that replaced it. I got a Powermat and replacement back for the Torch, so I only unplugged that and used its USB port rarely. But my wife had the USB-C port in her Samsung Captivate Glide go out. I had it repaired; now it charges, but doesn't communicate with a PC.

One of the reasons I picked the Priv was it's built-in wireless charger. Having been burned twice on USB ports I'm again taking no chances.

OTOH, sounds like you've had pretty good luck with your phones' charging ports. I guess it's a YMMV situation.
    12-13-19 04:01 PM
    I believe it’s merely that many have picked up terminology from repair shops and therefore certain terminology lives on that’s all

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Battery_...e_your_battery
    I see ... It's not calibrating the battery itself (which makes no sense) - it's calibrating the battery gauge so it more accurately reflects how much of a full charge is left in the battery.

I suspect a drift in battery gauge calibration is behind the common observation that an old battery will simply shut down with several percent of its capacity supposedly remaining. The gauge thinks there's more charge left than actually is there.
    12-13-19 04:19 PM
    before dropping a bundle, have the thing opened and look at the connection block on the motherboard just above the microUSB and if it is charred, give up
    12-16-19 12:47 PM