I legitimately bought a Priv off of kijiji(email trail for proof), and after 2 months this jerk decided to blacklist the phone. Of course he won't return my calls or emails or texts. Paid $800 for this and Telus won't even call me back. I would hate to think that my Priv is destined for the garbage.

Anyone know if I can change the IMEI to use it again?

Thanks!
    01-28-16 09:16 AM
    I know a guy.. I'll ask him . He does other android phones. Priv may be a special case

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-28-16 09:18 AM
    What likely happened is he stole the phone from someone else, and he sold it on Craigs list so he could get your cash, knowing the phone would only work for so long.

The person that blacklisted it is the person it was originally stolen from. Don't buy used devices - especially BlackBerry - unless you know for a fact they were legitimately purchased.

Ethically, I recommend turning the phone into the authorities. Moreover you could be in trouble in most places if you are carrying stolen merchandise and are aware it's been reported as such.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Anilu7 and kellyjdrummer like this.
    01-28-16 09:28 AM
    I legitimately bought a Priv off of kijiji(email trail for proof), and after 2 months this jerk decided to blacklist the phone. Of course he won't return my calls or emails or texts. Paid $800 for this and Telus won't even call me back. I would hate to think that my Priv is destined for the garbage.

Thanks!
    Lesson learned! Typically I ALWAYS recommend to take yourself and tbe seller to your local carrier store and prove the IMEI is active. Typically IMEI's are blacklisted due to fraud theft but I have heard and it's been on the media Bell blacklisted a customers imei for lack of payment!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    01-28-16 09:32 AM
    Lesson learned! Typically I ALWAYS recommend to take yourself and tbe seller to your local carrier store and prove the IMEI is active. Typically IMEI's are blacklisted due to fraud theft but I have heard and it's been on the media Bell blacklisted a customers imei for lack of payment!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    IMEI's can be actvie when sold, it takes 72 hours to show up on Canada's BlackList. Just unlock it and sell it in the USA to make your money back.. or Sell somewhere else overseas. It's only blacklisted in Canada (Assuming you bought here in Canada)

I am still checking with my IMEI guy as well.
    01-28-16 10:46 AM
    If you're transacting in phones on CL/Kijiji, always check the blacklist, verify who the phone is registered to with the carrier it is with, and ask for ID. The last piece is critical. Anybody who is squeamish at presenting an ID to provide identity is not worth dealing with. There is too much risk involved.
    KermEd and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-28-16 11:18 AM
    I got burned like that once. I now draw up contracts and face to face transactions are the preferred method for me .. Many people such as myself don't have the luxury of walking away from hard earned money
    01-28-16 11:21 AM
    Does kijijibajeevee or whatever have an IMEI/ESD checker like Swappa?
    01-28-16 11:41 AM
    Does kijijibajeevee or whatever have an IMEI/ESD checker like Swappa?
    Even if it does you're still not protected. The phone may end up blacklisted after your sale, as was the case with the OP. This is why simply checking the IMEI for blacklisting is not enough.
    01-28-16 11:56 AM
    That's why I never deal with Craigslist I'm not really surprised but hope you get it sorted out either way.

01-28-16 12:01 PM
    Even if it does you're still not protected. The phone may end up blacklisted after your sale, as was the case with the OP. This is why simply checking the IMEI for blacklisting is not enough.
    Right, but, at least with Swappa's return policy, you're taken care of. It doesn't matter why it's being returned as long as it's not in the condition that it was sold for; so, in this case, selling a stolen phone which once worked and then quickly after receiving it no longer is usable...should definitely be considered "not received as sold". The Swappa team is great, so I've no doubt they would (and they do) take care of the buyer in this regard.

I'd never heard of the kijiji site until I came here, so I just wonder if it's similar in that regard.
    01-28-16 12:08 PM
    Phone was actually not stolen, he showed me the bill of sale. He's just committing insurance fraud, he probably has the protection plan and got a new phone for free.
    01-28-16 12:14 PM
    I got burned on a Z30 like that about two years ago. Sorry to say, but you've got yourself a WiFi only device. There's no way to change an imei on a BlackBerry priv or any BB10 phone. I know that some of the older bbos devices have finally been cracked to allow an "imei fix" (lol) but you won't see it happen on anything current.

If you want to look into things a little bit further and investigate for yourself then Google "chimera tool".

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 12:21 PM
    I got burned on a Z30 like that about two years ago. Sorry to say, but you've got yourself a WiFi only device. There's no way to change an imei on a BlackBerry priv or any BB10 phone. I know that some of the older bbos devices have finally been cracked to allow an "imei fix" (lol) but you won't see it happen on anything current.

If you want to look into things a little bit further and investigate for yourself then Google "chimera tool".

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!!

I'm pretty desperate at this point

Side note, anyone wanna buy a WiFi only Priv? uuuuugh
    01-28-16 12:47 PM
    Thanks!!

I'm pretty desperate at this point

Side note, anyone wanna buy a WiFi only Priv? uuuuugh
    If it's not stolen... yeah i would for development but I'd rather see you get your cash back.

01-28-16 02:47 PM
    Best thing you can do now is to return the phone to authorities and tell them what happened.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-28-16 03:10 PM
    If u have the proof that u bought this phone off that particular person but he's not returning any text, emails etc... then u should be able to go to the authorities and show them this and have them contact him couldn't u?

wincyUt likes this.
    01-28-16 03:25 PM
    Phone was actually not stolen, he showed me the bill of sale. He's just committing insurance fraud, he probably has the protection plan and got a new phone for free.
    Ah, yes, insurance fraud. It's more common than people think. That's where the ID really comes in handy.
    01-28-16 07:28 PM
    If u have the proof that u bought this phone off that particular person but he's not returning any text, emails etc... then u should be able to go to the authorities and show them this and have them contact him couldn't u?

Called the police, they won't do anything. Kijiji is "buyer beware". Telus has to charge him with fraud, they won't call me back! They have a special security department.
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 01-29-16 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Language
    01-28-16 09:27 PM
    Damm sorry with your case OP ,hope you can find away to unlock it
    01-28-16 09:37 PM
    When buying a used phone, the best practice is to contact whichever provider you intend to use, tell them you're looking to purchase the device used from another user, and want to verify that it's a legitimate purchase that can be transferred.

In short... buying mobile devices from 3rd party sellers requires a bit of due diligence.
    01-28-16 09:50 PM

Thanks!
    Too late now but why would you pay 'new' price for a used device?
    01-28-16 09:52 PM
    In Canada it retails 960$ cad in the province I'm in. Maybe not USD?

01-29-16 12:41 AM
    Exactly what KermEd just said. I paid $800 CAD. The phone was much more than that and it wasn't used, 100% sealed, in the box brand new. Like I said, I saw the bill of sale/receipt for his upgrade. The phone wasn't stolen, due diligence was done.

There is a flaw in the current system where it allowed him to call in 2 months after the sale and blacklist the phone. Sounds like the carriers are trying to control the used cell phone market and boost sales of new phones. Because people who sell used ones "can't be trusted". Sounds like just a few bad apples to be honest, never had this problem in the past.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-29-16 07:15 AM
    If he got a replacement through insurance, i'm 99% sure Telus deals with a company called Asurion, I'm sure they would be interested to hear that this guy sold his phone and then filed a lost/stolen claim with them to get another phone. I would go to their website and then find their contact info and forward them all email communications between you and the fraudster.

Edit: sorry they don't use asurion anymore, they use someone else, here is the link to the new warranty/insurance company:

https://www.esecuritel.com/telus

pkcable, Jonneh, dejanh and 1 others like this.
    01-29-16 07:40 AM
35 12