Hi guys, if you haven't updated your priv to marshmallow and you don't want to lose your app data, be cautious and move all your moved-to-sd apps back to your internal first to prevent my situation from happening.

I was totally caught offguard thinking this update will just be like the previous updates. Now I cannot recover important app data of some apps like Google Authenticator, so I am hoping anyone with similar experience that knows how to restore my app data from sd to internal can share a fix. It'll be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    FF22 and jimmyhagg like this.
    05-03-16 12:25 PM
    Hmm, you should be able to get around it by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, in theory. Assuming, of course, that you didn't choose to switch to adoptable storage, in which case you are completely out of luck, as that switch formats your SD card in the process. But, if not, then I would try the uninstall/reinstall, since the reason for the issue with apps on the SD card when not going with adoptable storage comes from the mount point of the SD card being changed from Android 5 to 6. Your app's data -should- still exist in the correct folder, just the path is different now, and so that's why the app can't figure out what to do. In theory, uninstalling shouldn't touch the data in this case, since the app should still think the data is in the old path, but upon reinstalling, it should map to the correct path, and your data should hopefully restore without issue.

I cannot make any guarantees about this, though, because while in theory, it makes sense, practice is a whole other ball game. The only other way I can think of to get around this would be to navigate to the /Android/data folder on your external SD card and copy the whole thing to a backup folder, then uninstall the problematic apps, and then reinstall, go to the folder where you backed up the data to and find the com.name of the app and try copying that back to the /Android/data folder. Something along these lines, anyway. Might want to check the internal storage /Android/data folder, too, just in case.

Hope some of this info helps you.
    05-03-16 03:18 PM
    thanks for your reply. I thought of that too, but I couldn't find the app data folder for Google Authenticator (supposedly com.google.android.apps.authenticator2) in external-SD/Android/data. Sorry I forgot to mention that I haven't done anything to my sd card, i just leave the "new sd card detected" notification alone. Uninstalling and reinstalling to internal curiously also did not create folder "com.google.android.apps.authenticator2" in internal/Android/data. The only relevant(as far as I can tell) file I could find was a com.google.android.apps.authenticator2.asec file in a hidden folder(.android.secure) at the root of external-sd. I imagine as this app contains quite sensitive encrypted data, the way it stores data might be a bit unorthodox. Is there anyway this asec file can be used to restore it? The fact Priv can't be rooted makes it even more difficult.
    05-03-16 04:01 PM
    I also can't access the games on the SD card. Does marshmallow not support apps on SD?

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    05-03-16 06:50 PM
    MM does support apps to SD when you choose the 'use as internal storage' option but that formats and encrypts the card to your device. Of course that means losing anything on your SD card so you must back up anything you need to keep first.

In addition there are some downsides to choosing Adoptable Storage. Most of the time your SD card will be slower than your internal phone storage and if you use AS, your apps and user files will default to your SD card if its supported by the app. Also because its encrypted you cannot read the SD card on another device.

For most, using Adoptable Storage is not useful as you won't run out of room on your phone anyway. AS is more for cheaper phones with small internal storage.
    05-03-16 07:06 PM
    MM does support apps to SD when you choose the 'use as internal storage' option but that formats and encrypts the card to your device. Of course that means losing anything on your SD card so you must back up anything you need to keep first.

In addition there are some downsides to choosing Adoptable Storage. Most of the time your SD card will be slower than your internal phone storage and if you use AS, your apps and user files will default to your SD card if its supported by the app. Also because its encrypted you cannot read the SD card on another device.

For most, using Adoptable Storage is not useful as you won't run out of room on your phone anyway. AS is more for cheaper phones with small internal storage.
    So if I leave it as is I can still store pictures and music. Just no apps?

Still pretty new to Android phones.

05-03-16 07:52 PM
    Correct. And the card remains portable to other devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-16 08:15 PM
    If the card is written as "internal storage" you can't plug the phone into your computer to transfer files?

05-03-16 08:43 PM
    Looks like either way you have to reformat your SD card to get it working.

Mine is mostly inoperable and I can't access my music anymore. Sucks but no choice. Will back up and reformat.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-03-16 10:20 PM
    My priv gave an error when trying to reformat. When I try to restart it it goes straight to 20% where it failed and fails again. Bad start to marshmallow.

Card showed up later, requested format again. Started it yet again, and part way through it said card unexpectedly removed.

Anyone else with cards that won't even format, it is a Samsung card.

Last edited by ghost194; 05-03-16 at 10:53 PM.
    05-03-16 10:34 PM
    Looks like either way you have to reformat your SD card to get it working.

Mine is mostly inoperable and I can't access my music anymore. Sucks but no choice. Will back up and reformat.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I just habe ignored the notification and deleted all notifications. The SD runs without deciding for one of the options. Let's see if I will ne notified again and again, ob if this is the solution...
    05-04-16 01:15 AM
    I just habe ignored the notification and deleted all notifications. The SD runs without deciding for one of the options. Let's see if I will ne notified again and again, ob if this is the solution...
    That's what I though until I tried to access music. Didn't work.

05-04-16 07:06 AM
    Well, the 'do nothing' option would be the same as if you selected to use the SD card as a standard SD card, and not adoptable, so if that's the plan and you want the notification to go away, just select to use the card as a standard SD card, and you won't be harassed any more.

As I mentioned up there, the reason why some things might not be recognized is due to the mount point of the SD card having been changed, so any apps that were specifically set to scan specific folders, will need to be reset. For example, when I did my upgrade, poweramp seemed to think I had no music, but the moment I went into the library settings and selected my music folder again, it rescanned my library and all was good, all without formatting. And, for the record, I'm using the standard SD card setup, not adoptable storage.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-16 08:01 AM
    I have taken my sd card of 128gb from blackberry z30 to Priv. It is reading photo and music files but drive isn't visible in laptop and I can't copy anything. Very abnormal behaviour. What should I do?

Dr Prithvi via Priv the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-16 09:46 AM
    I have taken my sd card of 128gb from blackberry z30 to Priv. It is reading photo and music files but drive isn't visible in laptop and I can't copy anything. Very abnormal behaviour. What should I do?

Plug the phone into the computer, then go into the device manager as an admin (assuming Windows here) and remove the drivers, then rescan.

This is quite common if you had BlackBerry's BB10 drivers on your box -- the system may mis-identify the USB targets. The above is how you fix it.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-16 09:53 AM

Alternative to the above poster's suggestion, in case it doesn't work for you, you might also need to specifically enable file transfers. I've noticed that now under MM, it defaults to charging only on initial connection. To get it to allow transfers, you have to tap the notification in your notification tray, and change the setting to 'File Transfers' and then the storage appears.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-16 09:58 AM
    True -- Marshmallow defaults to "charge only" as a security feature. You have to pull down the shade and tell it to allow access after you plug it in.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-04-16 12:04 PM
    Well, the 'do nothing' option would be the same as if you selected to use the SD card as a standard SD card, and not adoptable, so if that's the plan and you want the notification to go away, just select to use the card as a standard SD card, and you won't be harassed any more.
    It still forces a format of the SD card though.

05-04-16 12:20 PM
    So let me get this straight (STV100-1). On 5.1.1, the settings storage menu had the option to "Move to SD Card" (although not everything gets moved depending on the the app/developer). On 6.0.1, with SD card as-is (non-adaptable), there is no longer the option to "Move to SD Card", correct? So then, is any data that is on the SD card prior to OS upgrade lost then?

Thanks!
    05-04-16 12:33 PM
    So let me get this straight (STV100-1). On 5.1.1, the settings storage menu had the option to "Move to SD Card" (although not everything gets moved depending on the the app/developer). On 6.0.1, with SD card as-is (non-adaptable), there is no longer the option to "Move to SD Card", correct? So then, is any data that is on the SD card prior to OS upgrade lost then?

Thanks!
    my other apps on sd like LINE, Facebook or Instagram I can just reinstall and relogin but not Google Authenticator of which appdata can't be restored online. I also couldn't find any Authenticator appdata except a .asec file so I suppose there is no known way to restore the appdata (move it back to internal) after Marshmallow upgrade.
    05-04-16 01:05 PM
    It still forces a format of the SD card though.

Except it doesn't. Formatting only happens if you select adoptable storage. If you choose to continue using it as a standard SD, formatting does not happen. Not sure how else to make it clear, but I upgraded, and chose to keep my SD card as an SD card, and my SD card was absolutely not formatted. *shrugs*

Thanks!
    Correct, under Android 6, there is no longer an option when using non-adopted storage to 'move to SD'. As for data that may have been previously stored to SD, the OS no longer knows where/how to read this data, so it would be 'lost' in so much as it would need to be manually moved from your SD card back into the internal storage of the phone. The problem with this, though, is that the app may not necessarily pick up the transferred data, though in the majority of my experiences, it does. However, depending on how the data of the app is stored on the SD, you may be out of luck entirely, as the OP has mentioned with the Google Authenticator app.

Edit: also, as a follow up for the OP, some quick research online says that unless you happened to keep a copy of the Google Authenticator QR code from initial setup, you might be entirely out of luck, as the only other ways to restore the app's data is to have root access.

https://dpron.com/3-ways-to-move-google-authenticator/
    05-04-16 02:10 PM