Like many I have been following the android slider updates closely.

So far we haven't seen any BlackBerry skin for the slider.

Was curious to know , how hard would it be to create an app on Android that would replicate the user interface of BB10 such as peak , frames etc? If BlackBerry keeps it relatively vanilla android stock?

I would imagine amongst the fan boys on BB10 there would be a number looking to replicate the BlackBerry experience as much as they can.

I have found personally that android was a less efficient at being productive. For example more steps to punch out an email or text and less useful if adding in attachments or editing docs.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Slamdunc1; 09-19-15 at 12:04 AM.
    09-18-15 11:52 PM
    It's time to stop speculating on what might be or could be or could have been. It's much more interesting now to learn about what the slider actually does and how the BlackBerry Interface components we know are there like the Hub actually work.
    09-19-15 12:12 AM
    I'm pretty sure there will not be a separate launcher. Just some enhancements to the default like the frame multitasking and easy hub access.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-19-15 12:29 AM
    It would not be incredibly difficult to replicate most bb10 functionality for a modestly experienced android dev. The biggest problem though in this approach would likely be the features you just described such as peek, flow and additionally swipe to wake. All of these features would likely require a rooted device to get working for the entire OS as opposed to only working from the home screen. It's been very dissapointing to me that they haven't tweaked the ui to be more like bb10. The app drawer makes me vomit rainbows.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-19-15 03:12 AM
    It would not be incredibly difficult to replicate most bb10 functionality for a modestly experienced android dev. The biggest problem though in this approach would likely be the features you just described such as peek, flow and additionally swipe to wake. All of these features would likely require a rooted device to get working for the entire OS as opposed to only working from the home screen. It's been very dissapointing to me that they haven't tweaked the ui to be more like bb10. The app drawer makes me vomit rainbows.

See I'm the opposite when it comes to the app drawer and never liked the set up on blackberry or iOS. With android you have the ability to place your most used and important apps on your home screens and the stuff you seldom use just stays in the app drawer.

With ios and Blackberry all your apps are on your home screens which makes it kind of cluttered. I can put stuff in folders but I feel that it's just more efficient having your most common apps (along with widgets) on your home screen. That's just me though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 03:20 AM
    It's not the concept of the app drawer I dislike. I actually prefer it as well. It's the implementation and the Easter egg pastel splashed interface that makes me feel like I am living in a real life version of some kids television show whenever I use my device that both ios and android have which makes me dislike the app drawer.

MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-19-15 03:52 AM

It may disappoint you (me too), but Android users are extremely pleased to see a mostly-stock version of Android instead of some half-*** sking. Look at TouchWiz, bloated garbage that everyone hates. I doubt BlackBerry could get something as ambitious as a BB10-style UI working overtop Android with any sort of performance.

Stock Android is the best option and requires the least amount of R&D.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and astrodan13 like this.
    09-19-15 05:42 AM
    It's time to stop speculating on what might be or could be or could have been. It's much more interesting now to learn about what the slider actually does and how the BlackBerry Interface components we know are there like the Hub actually work.
    Absolutely, you're all trying to bring back what's now a thing of the past. Now there's something new around the corner and you should just have fun trying something new and I'm sure you'll like it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 05:44 AM
    Who is trying to bring back a thing of the past? We hope to be able to enjoy the future as much as we have enjoyed the past and the point of this post was that if BlackBerry won't build it for us then we will build it. That's the beauty of them going full android. On BlackBerry 10, we can beg for a black hub for a year and not get the ridiculously simple (in terms of the code required to implement the feature - it's like 2 lines). On android, we will have a black hub two days after release because I will extract the apk and modify it. Same thing with the ui and launcher.....if we want it, we can finally build it. That's the future which does not resemble the past at all.

09-19-15 09:26 AM
    Couldn't have expressed that better myself.

I would definitely pay for apps like that if BlackBerry doesn't offer them from the get go.

If we are able to combine the great bits from Bb10 with all the good stuff from Android with the hardware from the slider, this device would be seriously awesome

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 09:50 AM
    Who is trying to bring back a thing of the past? We hope to be able to enjoy the future as much as we have enjoyed the past and the point of this post was that if BlackBerry won't build it for us then we will build it. That's the beauty of them going full android. On BlackBerry 10, we can beg for a black hub for a year and not get the ridiculously simple (in terms of the code required to implement the feature - it's like 2 lines). On android, we will have a black hub two days after release because I will extract the apk and modify it. Same thing with the ui and launcher.....if we want it, we can finally build it. That's the future which does not resemble the past at all.

Do share said black hub apk whenever this happens.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 12:46 PM
    Do share said black hub apk whenever this happens.
    Yes, please!
    09-19-15 01:05 PM
    It may disappoint you (me too), but Android users are extremely pleased to see a mostly-stock version of Android instead of some half-*** sking. Look at TouchWiz, bloated garbage that everyone hates. I doubt BlackBerry could get something as ambitious as a BB10-style UI working overtop Android with any sort of performance.

Stock Android is the best option and requires the least amount of R&D.

Posted via CB10
    Can confirm, TouchWiz is garbage.

09-19-15 01:50 PM
    Can confirm, TouchWiz is garbage.

Who wants touchwiz?

I could go for a version of HTC sense though

09-19-15 02:45 PM
    One obstacle I hadn't considered until just now is that BlackBerry may have some of those features patented and recreating them in a launcher could be copy right infringement. Chen did just say that they need to exercise their patent portfolio more frequently as a revenue stream going forward. Lol

09-19-15 02:47 PM