There is a big gap between the haves and the have nots, when it comes to both OS and security updates. I'm really asking because I don't know, why can't BlackBerry push updates just like we'll, BlackBerry, used to do, and Apple does, and Google does. Is that contractual or a software limitation? I mean, outside of carrier channels.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-17-16 05:18 PM
    Carrier-branded devices have the stock tools replaced with ones that hit carrier servers instead of the factory ones, basically.

The reason they do it is to force the carrier bloatware on you; if you got a direct update then it would wipe the carrier bloatware when you got updated. But this means they have to take the released image from BlackBerry (or whoever) and then "cook" their bloatware into that release, then test it, and, well, it's just not that important to them to do that.
    08-17-16 05:26 PM
    It's a question that those who can't get updates quick enough, after spending their hard earned money, want answered.
    As my young nephew says, Privs ain't cheap fam

Posted using my trusty BlackBerry
    08-17-16 05:27 PM
    Carrier branded devices get front line support from the carriers. It's part of the deal. Therefore they control the releases.
    08-17-16 05:31 PM
    But BlackBerry also delays the non bbshop but factory unlocked retail devices, so at least that could be fixed.
    08-17-16 06:40 PM
    But BlackBerry also delays the non bbshop but factory unlocked retail devices, so at least that could be fixed.
    Not the Priv. They are not only releasing monthly security patches they were first to patch Quadrooter, even though it wouldn't have worked due to the kernel hardening and secure boot (according to them) to actually *get* root.

Factory unlocked retail devices are all getting these updates on a regular and consistent basis; indeed so, apparently, is the DTEK50. It's only the carrier-branded ones that are being delayed.
    08-17-16 06:50 PM
    Ah. As I suspected. For bloat. I got my AT&T Priv new on eBay when the fire sale was on (299) and it came with an unlock code, but I have no idea what to do with it and don't think it would matter. As I understand it, if I left my carrier of 12 years I could use my phone on t-mobile or something even more sketchy, but that's not what I'm after.

I read somewhere that BlackBerry could push updates but didn't because of the carriers, but I have no idea whether that's true or would benefit me at all. I was glad to get Marshmallow about 2 days after my phone arrived, but was really wondering about the security updates.

I also read that Mr Chen said nougat would make dtek/priv phones the most secure phones, period, but I don't have high hopes for that.

And I feel sorry for the Verizon people.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-17-16 06:50 PM
    You can't use the AT&T phone on another network until you unlock it for other carriers.

If you get a non-AT&T SIM card (does NOT need to be activated and which you can pick up for a few $$ at Best Buy or other places), put it in the phone, turn it back on and you will prompted for that unlock code. Be careful to not incorrectly enter the unlock code more than a few times, or the phone will be permanently locked to AT&T. There have been a number of posts that the unlock codes that come with the phones are not valid, so be careful.

You should also be able to get an unlock code from AT&T. Note that it took me three attempts for them to actually provide it. Use the @ATTCares twitter account to get support - that seemed to do the trick for me.

I unlocked my phone just in case BlackBerry came up with a way to get updates to the AT&T unlocked phones directly, without waiting on AT&T.
    08-18-16 02:57 AM