Are any of the Canadian carriers CDMA?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:32 AM
    Bell and Telus had legacy CDMA carriers at one point. Don't know of their current status.

Regardless, BB hasn't put out a CDMA phone for them in ages, after they both launched their HSPA+ networks. Since the Bold 9700 was launched, if not earlier.
    10-25-15 10:13 AM
    CDMA - Carrier Does Modify All (phone. So better call the carrier if they will carry cdma version...

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 10:15 AM
    No. Canada is 100% GSM/LTE (LTE is a GSM-based technology).

In about 5 years, the US will be 100% LTE, with no GSM or CDMA, and the rest of the world will do the same sooner or later (some countries will definitely be sooner).
    10-25-15 02:30 PM
    So Sprint and Verizon are still CDMA. Anywhere else in the world?
    10-25-15 03:38 PM
    So Sprint and Verizon are still CDMA. Anywhere else in the world?
    For BB? No.

But in general, yes. Plenty. US Cellular in the US--they are the 5th largest carrier. C Spire. China Telecom. Reliance India has a CDMA network as well. A couple in South Korea, one in Japan. Russia has a few as well, as does Africa.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-25-15 03:50 PM
    Thanks Raino. I thought I remember others on CDMA. So, if BlackBerry wants to truly sell the Priv worldwide, they'll need to have a CDMA version. This is way more than Sprint and Verizon in the US. How many CDMA versions would be required? In one words, are CDMA phones interchangeable on various CDMA networks?
    10-25-15 04:06 PM
    Thanks Raino. I thought I remember others on CDMA. So, if BlackBerry wants to truly sell the Priv worldwide, they'll need to have a CDMA version. This is way more than Sprint and Verizon in the US. How many CDMA versions would be required? In one words, are CDMA phones interchangeable on various CDMA networks?
    Good question , I would also assume having different bands.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 07:10 PM
    In about 5 years, the US will be 100% LTE, with no GSM or CDMA, and the rest of the world will do the same sooner or later (some countries will definitely be sooner).
    What's the difference between GSM and LTE? Aren't both Sim card based?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 07:15 PM
    There is some degree of interchangeability, yes. But is there really a good ROI if BB gets a phone ready for some small CDMA carrier in, say, the southeast US--when the metrics point to a lack of interest for BB phones in the carrier's customers? At their peak, BB used to have phones for US Cellular and Boost Mobile. They don't anymore. Even Sprint hasn't had a phone since the Q10.
    10-25-15 08:00 PM
    What I am not understanding, and maybe because i'm a Sprint customer so this annoys me even more, but why not create the Priv with just one US edition that has all bands in it. Google Nexus products do this and iPhone has done this since for a year now too. I don't know about Verizon but you can activate any phone on Sprint that is compatible by just going into the store. Seems had they done that, BB would maximize their exposure.

I'm guessing it could be agreements with the carriers or maybe cost prohibitive at this time? Whats the deal with this?
    10-25-15 09:02 PM
    Bell and Telus had legacy CDMA carriers at one point. Don't know of their current status.

Regardless, BB hasn't put out a CDMA phone for them in ages, after they both launched their HSPA+ networks. Since the Bold 9700 was launched, if not earlier.
    Telus shutting down by end of this year, Bell by January 2017.
    TELUS is aiming to shutdown the CDMA network in 2015 | MobileSyrup.com
    Bell lays out plan to shutter its CDMA network by January 1st, 2017 | MobileSyrup.com
    raino likes this.
    10-25-15 09:20 PM
    What I am not understanding, and maybe because i'm a Sprint customer so this annoys me even more, but why not create the Priv with just one US edition that has all bands in it. Google Nexus products do this and iPhone has done this since for a year now too. I don't know about Verizon but you can activate any phone on Sprint that is compatible by just going into the store. Seems had they done that, BB would maximize their exposure.

I'm guessing it could be agreements with the carriers or maybe cost prohibitive at this time? Whats the deal with this?
    I've alluded to this before as well. With Nexus and Apple doing this, I can only assume it's carrier pressure. Google and Apple are big enough, though one would think Samsung would be as well. However, Samsung still produces carrier specific versions. Beats me.
    10-25-15 09:25 PM
    No. Wrong conclusion. To truly sell a worldwide phone, one does NOT need to include CDMA. Yes, Raino is right. Many countries still have legacy CDMA networks, but they are shrinking and OEM's need not manufacture for them to reach the vast majority of the world.

I presume you're on Verizon or Sprint in the US, and no matter how much you WANT your conclusion to be true, it isn't.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-25-15 09:31 PM

I'm not sure it's cheaper to pack all the radios into one model. May actually be cheaper to only sell the specific model for the specific network technology.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-25-15 09:34 PM

BlackBerry could do it too, but the problem is that for phones to work on Verizon and Sprint, they need to be approved by the respective carriers--at least until CDMA is in the picture. So even if BB manufactures a Priv conforming to Verizon specs, if Verizon doesn't approve it for use on its network, the buyer would end up with a nice paperweight.
    10-25-15 09:35 PM

I can't speak for Google Nexus but iPhone is most definitely NOT one device with all the bands. I've looked into it for iPhone 5s. There were 4 different variants. You could only tell them apart by their serial numbers (think STL100-1 vs STL100-4 for example). Verizon and sprint were both using the same variant due to it needing CDMA antena. Second variant was GSM version for US. Third variant was GSM version for Europe/rest of the world (even though they are GSM, they run on slightly different frequency bands and so I assume this variant was optimized for that). Last variant was a Japanese version that seemed like a master phone. It had CDMA, HSPA, GSM, and pretty much all the other bands included. It was truly the only "global" iPhone, that if unlocked, could truly be used anywhere.

I tried for days to find one, but either they are not being sold in the US, or everyone who has one is aware of what they have, or Idk. All in all, the variant that has the combination of all the bands is the Japanese variant and you won't find it. (even if you did, chances are Verizon won't let you activate it).

So if you get the Verizon variant and run it on TMobile, you won't have the HSPA+ capabilities and 4G TMobile won't work.

If you get the GSM version, you won't have CDMA antenna (this is a physical hardware radio antenna that is different from the GSM antenna) and won't be able to run it on verizon at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:38 PM
    I can't speak for Google Nexus but iPhone is most definitely NOT one device with all the bands. I've looked into it for iPhone 5s. There were 4 different variants. You could only tell them apart by their serial numbers (think STL100-1 vs STL100-4 for example). Verizon and sprint were both using the same variant due to it needing CDMA antena. Second variant was GSM version for US. Third variant was GSM version for Europe/rest of the world (even though they are GSM, they run on slightly different frequency bands and so I assume this variant was optimized for that). Last variant was a Japanese version that seemed like a master phone. It had CDMA, HSPA, GSM, and pretty much all the other bands included. It was truly the only "global" iPhone, that if unlocked, could truly be used anywhere.

I tried for days to find one, but either they are not being sold in the US, or everyone who has one is aware of what they have, or Idk. All in all, the variant that has the combination of all the bands is the Japanese variant and you won't find it. (even if you did, chances are Verizon won't let you activate it).

So if you get the Verizon variant and run it on TMobile, you won't have the HSPA+ capabilities and 4G TMobile won't work.

If you get the GSM version, you won't have CDMA antenna (this is a physical hardware radio antenna that is different from the GSM antenna) and won't be able to run it on verizon at all.

Posted via CB10
    No offense, but your information is a bit outdated. Universal compatibility was improved for the 6 and even more so the 6s.

Verizon editions generally fully support AT&T and T-Mobile since the 5s.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    10-25-15 10:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thankfully, no.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 11:54 PM
    No offense, but your information is a bit outdated. Universal compatibility was improved for the 6 and even more so the 6s.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah there is only two US versions of the Nexus 6P. So its being done. Seems like a better idea especially if the CDMA carriers aren't getting on board. Eff em, make a phone that works and let people buy it direct.

Hopefully they are on board though.
    10-26-15 12:10 AM

I haven't looked at the new ones, but even the Nexus 6 was at least a four-carrier device (if not five, including US Cellular.)
    10-26-15 12:14 AM
    I haven't looked at the new ones, but even the Nexus 6 was at least a four-carrier device (if not five, including US Cellular.)
    I'm talking about the iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:09 AM
    I'm talking about the iPhones.
    I know. I was saying that iPhones aren't the only phones also sold factory unlocked that are multi-carrier now. Even the latest Nexus phones have this now.
    10-26-15 11:41 AM
    I know. I was saying that iPhones aren't the only phones also sold factory unlocked that are multi-carrier now. Even the latest Nexus phones have this now.
    So why wouldn't every phone manufacturer do this? It would seem that designing, building and supporting one model would make economic sense. Is it really the carriers putting up roadblocks?
    10-26-15 01:57 PM
    So why wouldn't every phone manufacturer do this? It would seem that designing, building and supporting one model would make economic sense. Is it really the carriers putting up roadblocks?
    Why do you think it's cheaper to put every radio in every phone? Sounds wasteful actually.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 02:00 PM
33 12