Hi,

I have the Blackberry Priv running on the latest OS and was wondering if you're able to increase the internal memory for the Priv. I asked At&t support and they told me I can't which I doubt they have any knowledge regarding Blackberry. So my question is if you can what type of SD card do I need to get?
    04-21-17 01:26 AM
    Internal memory is one thing and what you are asking is totally different, internal memory is the 32GB the phone has which is non-expandable(the At&t support was right, seeing as you asked something else than you intended), what you are interested in is the expandable memory (the SD card slot).
    I have this and never had any issue at all.
    04-21-17 01:58 AM
    Internal storage can actually be "increased" with an SD card formatted as internal, i.e. adoptable storage. But you probably don't want to do that because reasons.

As for the type, Priv supports all microSD cards, the largest available at the moment are 256 GB, though they are very expensive. 200 GB can be found for some 60-70 $, 128 I believe I saw for 30-40. Faster cards are usually more expensive, but unless you plan on using it as adoptable storage, any UHS-1 card should do.
    04-21-17 02:22 AM
    Internal storage can actually be "increased" with an SD card formatted as internal, i.e. adoptable storage. But you probably don't want to do that because reasons.

As for the type, Priv supports all microSD cards, the largest available at the moment are 256 GB, though they are very expensive. 200 GB can be found for some 60-70 $, 128 I believe I saw for 30-40. Faster cards are usually more expensive, but unless you plan on using it as adoptable storage, any UHS-1 card should do.
    I used adoptable storage and it's pure crap, for me it's the most useless feature android has to date, I won't get into details as ppl who used this option know very well the results.
    04-21-17 06:06 AM
    The Priv has 3Gb RAM and 32 G storage memory on board. Short of re engineering phone and soldering in different chips, thats it.
    You do have an SD slot that supports up to 200G memory. The 128G cards are prob the best bang for the buck. Put all your pics, vids and music on one of those and there is no need for more memory.

I used adoptable storage and it's pure crap
    Adoptable storage is not for phones that have decent internal, it's there for the really cheap phones with next to no internal, think third world $75 phones.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-21-17 07:09 AM
    I used adoptable storage and it's pure crap, for me it's the most useless feature android has to date, I won't get into details as ppl who used this option know very well the results.
    That's why I said that he probably wouldn't want to use it.
    04-21-17 09:10 AM
    That's why I said that he probably wouldn't want to use it.
    I was agreeing with you, and reinforcing your comment. At least that was my intent.
    04-21-17 05:01 PM
    If your asking how to free up space in your internal memory, check how much cache memory you have tied up. Go the System/Storage & USB, tap Internal Storage, and scroll to the bottom. This can contain gigs of memory. Tapping the cache will give you the option to delete it. This won't affect the data in your phone. The only downside was that my QuickPics app needed to refresh the thumbnails in the app. Mind you, with the amount of pics I have on the phone this may have be one of the culprits .
    FF22, Wezard and BBalways like this.
    04-23-17 09:06 PM
    Thanks Edge...

Clearing your cache in this fashion is way less time consuming than going through each app individually. However, going through each app may alert you on some of the amount of cache and data they use.

Now if I can only resolve my PRIV battery issues...
    06-18-17 11:23 AM

This. but the performance is not really good, so I wouldn't recomend
    06-18-17 05:12 PM
    Side note. If a person doesn't want to buy a file management app, the one included in Android via Settings > Storage > Explore (albeit basic in functionality) is easy to use and free for simple file management options in Nougat for when PRIV gets it.

It's still available on Marshmallow, but it's cleaned up on Nougat.

It's good to go in there to clear the cache for maintenance. Good thread.
    Last edited by AwkwardUnkleHug; 06-18-17 at 08:08 PM.
    06-18-17 07:57 PM
    Side note. If a person doesn't want to buy a file management app, the one included in Android via Settings > Storage > Explore (albeit basic in functionality) is easy to use and free for simple file management options in Nougat for when PRIV gets it.

It's still available on Marshmallow, but it's cleaned up on Nougat.

It's good to go in there to clear the cache for maintenance. Good thread.
    I think some of us discount or ignore that built-in File Manager since it did not exist under Lollipop and so we went out and found some others. Asus is FREE and I kind of like it.
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-18-17 09:37 PM
    I think some of us discount or ignore that built-in File Manager since it did not exist under Lollipop and so we went out and found some others. Asus is FREE and I kind of like it.
    Agreed. I am one of the people who started using Android on Lollipop with the PRIV. I bought Solid Explorer and still use it over the Nougat version. I think it's good to know there is at least a simple file manager at least, just in case.

Thanks for the heads up about the free Asus app. Maybe I'll try it.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-18-17 09:41 PM
    My apologies. I keep accidentally quoting myself.
    06-18-17 09:42 PM
    Agreed. I am one of the people who started using Android on Lollipop with the PRIV. I bought Solid Explorer and still use it over the Nougat version. I think it's good to know there is at least a simple file manager at least, just in case.

Thanks for the heads up about the free Asus app. Maybe I'll try it.
    And Solid is the other one I routinely use and also paid for the upgrade for on-the-go access to thumb drives (well, my camera)
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-19-17 12:13 AM
    While typing on the Classic vague memories of the broken Priv come up. That phone with that 3rd party software disguising as an OS bought from a nowadays software company without a proper file browser included.

Anyway +1 on the Asus Explorer.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 03:39 AM
    I would not use the SD card as internal storage as stated by some of the others. I did this when I first got my priv and the performance was horrid. I am using my Samsung EVO plus 64gb sd as portable storage instead of internal now and has better results.

As for file explorer I am using Solid as well mainly so I can link my cloud storage to easily move files/folders between my device and the cloud. I mainly use OneDrive for my day to day but my google drive has application/setting backups, and restoring those is a pain with the built in explorer and the first part apps.
    06-19-17 06:27 PM