My current phone contract will expire this summer, and I am considering replacing my BlackBerry Classic with the new BlackBerry slider.
    (1)Are there other physical keyboard phones on the market that I should be considering?

(2)I understand I will have to learn a new OS, so do you guys have any suggestions, or know of a couple videos that will explain the android ecosystem to me? I'm also looking to get information on tips, tricks and best practices (or best way of thinking) when approaching this OS.

(3)With this new OS, I've noticed there are a ton of new symbols. I guess they are there to save space, but they end up being more confusing than beneficial. Is there a way to convert them to text? Or better yet, is there a way to have the English equivalent shown alongside the symbol?
    For example, I was watching a video where the presenter clicked on a micro-chip icon, and that ended up highlighting all the text. Or within the Hub, there is a little pencil icon that I've come to know as the 'edit' icon. But there, its used as a way to compose a new message :S

(4)And while I'm learning new things, I suspect I'm going to have to learn how to use a touch screen. Do you guys have any tips to avoid miss-clicking? And know of a good way to keep the screen clean and fingerprint free?

(5)I assume I will have to preform some updates as soon as I pull it out of the box. Are there certain updates I should avoid? Are there benefits to jumping right into android M?

(6)After the phone is up to date, what are a some good ways to pull some data off of my Classic and put it on to the slider? I was considering simply exporting the contacts as a .vcf and importing that file on the new phone, then just starting from scratch with a fresh OS.

(7)I will probably get a leather flip case and a screen protector. With this in mind, how do you guys carry around your phones? I'm concerned this new, larger phone will not fit in my chest pocket anymore.

(8)I have heard the phone does not come with a file manager, and I will have to look into getting one myself.
    Is this true? If so, is there one that functions similar to the file manager found in BB10? With simple ways to connect to dropbox, my computer, the SD card, internal memory, and USBOTG?

(9)On the first main screen of the device, is there a way to have a home page that shows a nice clean, clutter-free screen that displays my background image while removing the icons and google bar? (or is this not the android way of thinking?) Also, when referring to screen 2, or 3, what should I call that? Are they pages, or is this still considered the home screen?

(10)Once I pull out the keyboard and begin to navigate around the home screen and first couple pages, is there a way to invert the scrolling commands on the keyboard? Out of all the videos I have watched, I've noticed that everyone seems to be swiping backwards.
    If this touch keyboard is supposed to be replicating the actions of a trackpad or mouse, then sliding your finger right should scroll to the right, and moving down should scroll down.

(11)Also, on my Classic, I am used to being able to navigate the home screen with the trackpad, and then use the trackpad to click on an icon that I wish to open. Is this possible to do on the touch keyboard of the slider?

(12)Within the android Hub, I've noticed that the overflow menu icon and the 'nav' menu icon have been moved to the top of the screen. Is there a way to get them back to the bottom of the screen? I would have a much easier time reaching them if they were located there.

(13)Where is the attachment icon within the android Hub? The BB10 Hub has an icon titled 'attachments', and when clicked, it will chronologically display all of the attachments you have recently received, regardless of what email conversation they were sent in.

(14)Can I use the physical keyboard to press the letter S and begin searching through the Hub?

(15)Can I push and hold the shift key, then scroll on the physical keyboard to select multiple items to mark or delete?

Thanks guys!
    I know its a lot, but I would like to know as much as possible in advance, so I can continue to be as productive as possible.
    Last edited by undefinederror; 07-05-16 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added 2 more questions
    07-05-16 04:35 PM
    I can't answer all your questions, but I have some comments. First, you've already done a significant amount of research, so you're already reasonably well prepared. We always like things to be the same as they were, but once you've spent some time with the Priv and Android you should be fine.

Keep in mind that while the keyboard on the Priv is about the same width as the Classic, it's only about 3/4 the height, but I think you can use it as a trackpad. Also the options for adding a protective case with the sliding keyboard are limited.

You probably don't want to wait for the new Rome/Mercury which is expected to have a keyboard similar to the Classic's, but there's a good chance there will be a new all touch device in the next couple of months.
    07-05-16 06:22 PM
    I can't answer all your questions, but I have some comments. First, you've already done a significant amount of research, so you're already reasonably well prepared. We always like things to be the same as they were, but once you've spent some time with the Priv and Android you should be fine.

Keep in mind that while the keyboard on the Priv is about the same width as the Classic, it's only about 3/4 the height, but I think you can use it as a trackpad. Also the options for adding a protective case with the sliding keyboard are limited.

You probably don't want to wait for the new Rome/Mercury which is expected to have a keyboard similar to the Classic's, but there's a good chance there will be a new all touch device in the next couple of months.
    Oh! Thanks for the heads up. I've never had an issue typing on the Classic, so I hope with the shorter keyboard, this trend continues.

I am curious about the physical keyboard phone that will be released. I guess I will have to wait to learn more about it, and see if it's an option.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 11:13 PM
    All indications are that the new phone will be about the same size as the Priv, but with the keyboard taking up space, the screen will have a 3:2 ratio compared to the Priv's 1.77 and the Classic's 1:1 square screen.

Something else to think about is the number of people who say their Priv sometimes gets very hot. This is normal to a certain extent when the processor is being used heavily playing games or after a major update. But some people say they have never experience this, so it's hard to know.
    07-05-16 11:30 PM
    Hey there!

I too am wanting to shift to Priv. I am thinking of buying a brand new AT&T Unlocked phone (from eBay) as its pretty cheap compared to what I'd pay otherwise (nearly 40 % cheaper).

1. Now, will this Unclocked phone work normally like any other Priv?

2. Will the Android OS be upgradable?

3. Is the Hub of the Priv as good as that of the Classic?

4. Are there any application on other Android phones (like Samsung) which do not run on the Priv?

5. When I open the slider to access the physical keyboard, does the huge phone balance properly in my palms?

Thanks a lot!

Pankaj Jaju, Goa, India
    07-06-16 12:02 AM
    I think that many people will be happy to recommend that you NOT buy one of the AT&T unlocked phones if you want to get OS upgrades in a timely manner. AT&T is lagging far behind, even on the monthly security updates (latest they have released is May's.) If that is important to you, then get a factory unlocked from ShopBlackBerry. Also note that you may not be able to receive the updates unless you are in the US with an AT&T sim card.

I personally like the PKB, as I have a difficult time using on-screen keyboards. It is smaller than my Q10 and takes a little getting used to (like holding down the Alt key until it is underlined to put it into num lock mode.)

I'm learning Android as I go and find there are a number of things I still am translating from BB10; it's getting a little easier every day. You'll find some good how-to videos in the sticky at the top of this forum and others on YouTube and lots of information only a Google search away.

You can easily personalize the look and feel to your heart's content. You can remove just about all icons from your home screen (I'd recommend leaving the launcher at the bottom to access all your applications) and add pages just like in BB10.

I quickly outfitted my Priv with a clear hard case for the back (like I've used on most of my phones in the past - you can find on ebay for not much) and a Sikai glass screen protector (best price on Amazon at 2 for $27 USD) and am comfortable regarding the safety of the phone. I have cracked a couple of screen protectors but have done very little damage to my phone, even after dropping on concrete from a car seat.

Just my opinion, of course.
    07-06-16 01:48 AM
    1) No phone that isn't about to be or already is discontinued.
    5) If you aren't getting an AT&T/Verizon model, you should have an update to Marshmallow waiting for you. Go for it. As well, monthly updates provide extra security fixes, so go for those when they come down.
    7) Belt holster.
    8) Solid Explorer should do all of those handily, or one of the many robust file managers on the Play Store (as opposed to BB10's preloaded-or-not-at-all philosophy).
    9) They're pages in the home screen. And it would depend on if you're using the stock launcher or some third party one, but you can move around everything between the page lister bar and the top bar with the clock (i.e. the icons, clock and Google Search bar).
    10) I guess the keyboard on the home screen is acting like dragging a page of a book?
    11) No(t yet?).
    13) Search > Filter > Attachment
    14) Yes.
    15) No(t yet?).
    07-06-16 03:16 AM
    Hey there!

I too am wanting to shift to Priv. I am thinking of buying a brand new AT&T Unlocked phone (from eBay) as its pretty cheap compared to what I'd pay otherwise (nearly 40 % cheaper).

1. Now, will this Unclocked phone work normally like any other Priv?

2. Will the Android OS be upgradable?

3. Is the Hub of the Priv as good as that of the Classic?

4. Are there any application on other Android phones (like Samsung) which do not run on the Priv?

5. When I open the slider to access the physical keyboard, does the huge phone balance properly in my palms?

Thanks a lot!

Pankaj Jaju, Goa, India
    1) About as well, yes.
    2) Yes, but if it's AT&T, don't expect many upgrades.
    3) Works for me.
    4) I've heard Snapchat is wonky on some builds of Marshmallow, but other than that, I don't know.
    5) I don't have your hands.
    07-06-16 03:18 AM
    Alright, thanks for all the feedback!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 04:20 PM