There is obviously *not* a single android file manager that supplies all the functionality and simplicity of the BB10 file manager, or this thread (and many others with folks griping about the problem) wouldn't exist!
    Simplicity is subjective. List your functionalities.
    There is no BB10 File manager in Android for Priv (for now). Face it.
    11-19-15 10:19 AM
    You're allowed to access the information from a personal smartphone?
    Good point
    Sad that I can't like/thank your post

I also can't believe I've answering this. If you work in any area that is regulated - e.g. Accounting, Banking, Healthcare, etc. - "select from the cloud" is NOT generally an option. In the U.S. at least, there are very strict data storage/access rules that simply don't allow public cloud storage (any form of "cloud" built into these file managers). When you say "There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything" that is simply wrong. The government is, and our employers are. That's why we have network storage in private "clouds" as well as local file storage on employer secured laptops/desktops.
    Yes, yes. Then connect to the company's private cloud instead. If your work is that important, for sure the company will have a cloud and/or work mobile devices for you as well (or some other way). Use them. If you can't, contact your company's IT support. If they can't, blame your company.

Bottom line, I can't put work information on Dropbox. Period. I can have it on my work laptop. BB10 allowed access easily to this information securely. None of the Android file managers seem to do this. Any network access I've seen requires the user to be on the same network, or set up an FTP site. Both of which don't solve anything.
    What you want isn't just a file manager. It is a file manager AND a desktop software.
    11-19-15 10:27 AM
    I downloaded the htc file manager but for some reason it can't access my sd card.
    11-19-15 10:30 AM
    What you're suggesting might be fine for casual consumer use. But it's not a serious approach to professional communications and file management. BB10 functionality was based on established best practice corporate and Enterprise work flows, not consumer desires.
    What many BlackBerry users love about BB10 is the consistent, integrated experience of communicating across all channels with the same interface and functionality, including sharing files from all locations (local, SD card, cloud, Bluetooth, network).
    Blackberry is way ahead of iOS and Android in this core area. I have every hope that they will port a similar experience to Android. A secure, smooth Blackberry Hub/File Manager app combo will greatly improve the Android experience.
    I believe we are discussing File Manager/Email attachment related things here. Not to talk about Android vs BB10.
    I don't care how "best" practice corporate and Enterprise work flows BB10 is following, nor how "ahead" of iOS and Android BB10 is. Truth still is: corporates and enterprises (and BB itself) gave up on BB10; consumers don't even know BB10 exists.

Downloading random third party apps to use for email and file management is NOT allowed for work documents by many, many companies for obvious reasons. Moreover who wants to have to select different apps to communicate via email, SMS IM, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. In the course of a busy workday running from meeting to meeting?!
    Use your work devices, follow your company's work device policy, contact your company's IT support. If they allow you to use an app, there is nothing wrong to use a 3rd-party app (BB is 3rd party in Android). If they don't allow, they must have another method for you. If they don't have method and it obstructs your work, complain until they have something.
    Done?
    11-19-15 10:35 AM
    I downloaded the htc file manager but for some reason it can't access my sd card.
    Do you use exfat? It sounds like there is an issue with sdcard formated with exfat in Priv. You might want to try to copy all data to a computer (for example), format it to fat32?
    11-19-15 10:38 AM
    Of course you can wait until BB "fix" their Hub, which you have to face it: currently in Android, the Hub (different from BB10), is redundant, a half-*** message aggregator and a buggy email client.

No one forces you to. It is the same as no one force someone to not use a mp3 music player (most people use their own phones). But, does it make it outdated? Yes.
    Are you afraid of the word "cloud"? Don't you know it is just a server? Don't you know you can turn your computer into a server as well (if you have some $)?

To me, it looks like you are not interested in finding a solution at all - you just wanna bash Android for it no being your BB10. Give it up.
    I actually haven't "bashed" Android at all. Check your facts there.

And, the whole point of this thread, from my perspective, is TO FIND A SOLUTION and most people aren't "bashing" but rather frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a completely acceptable solution for many users.

It is a very logical thing for BlackBerry to bring to Android. There is no argument there. They have the infrastructure. They have the resources. And they now have the reason to do it. If BlackBerry is bringing software to Android for all users (regardless of whether their device is made by BlackBerry or not), which makes more sense: bringing over their virtual keyboard or bringing over a secure way for people to access and use their files without using multiple apps from sources with far lesser known reputations?

I will probably bash you if I ever see you though. You're just a **** disturber.

[EDIT: the word that was censored was "p00p" - far too vulgar for the internet, I suppose.]
    11-19-15 10:38 AM

And, the whole point of this thread, from my perspective, is TO FIND A SOLUTION and most people aren't "bashing" but rather frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a completely acceptable solution for many users.

It is a very logical thing for BlackBerry to bring to Android. There is no argument there. They have the infrastructure. They have the resources. And they now have the reason to do it. If BlackBerry is bringing software to Android for all users (regardless of whether their device is made by BlackBerry or not), which makes more sense: bringing over their virtual keyboard or bringing over a secure way for people to access and use their files without using multiple apps from sources with far lesser known reputations?

I will probably bash you if I ever see you though. You're just a **** disturber.

[EDIT: the word that was censored was "p00p" - far too vulgar for the internet, I suppose.]
    You know why there is still no "acceptable solution"? Because the only solution you guys want is the exactly, 100% clone of the one in BB10. You can't have it - until BB makes one (you can wait, of course).
    There are solutions, but they are different, the flow is different, apps will work differently.

a secure way for people to access and use their files without using multiple apps from sources with far lesser known reputations
    - there is no need to use multiple apps (mind you: you need a companion software - Link - together with your File manager in BB10. You already used multiple apps)
    - from Android's pov, some have more reputation than BB nowadays

Are you a C*O or something? You sound just like some "good" C-level executives. Hope your business is going well.
    11-19-15 10:52 AM
    I also can't believe I've answering this. If you work in any area that is regulated - e.g. Accounting, Banking, Healthcare, etc. - "select from the cloud" is NOT generally an option. In the U.S. at least, there are very strict data storage/access rules that simply don't allow public cloud storage (any form of "cloud" built into these file managers). When you say "There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything" that is simply wrong. The government is, and our employers are. That's why we have network storage in private "clouds" as well as local file storage on employer secured laptops/desktops.

Bottom line, I can't put work information on Dropbox. Period. I can have it on my work laptop. BB10 allowed access easily to this information securely. None of the Android file managers seem to do this. Any network access I've seen requires the user to be on the same network, or set up an FTP site. Both of which don't solve anything.
    Good point about secure virtual access and downloading of files with a cloud-like workflow. Link had a lot of issues, but the ideas behind it are pretty brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 10:55 AM
    You know why there is still no "acceptable solution"? Because the only solution you guys want is the exactly, 100% clone of the one in BB10. You can't have it - until BB makes one (you can wait, of course).
    There are solutions, but they are different, the flow is different, apps will work differently.

- there is no need to use multiple apps (mind you: you need a companion software - Link - together with your File manager in BB10. You already used multiple apps)

Are you a C*O or something? You sound just like some "good" C-level executives. Hope your business is going well.
    The need for Link all but kills that "solution" for me.
    11-19-15 11:23 AM

I'm open to change. What I'm hesitant about is making compromises too big to make the rest of the package worth it. I think that most people in this thread are after a solution. You keep saying the same thing: there are solutions, there are plenty of ways to do that. Well, which one works the best? What do you use?

By the sounds of it, you don't use your device the same way that others do and that's fine. But, if that's the case, why are you even a part of the conversation? There is nothing to defend here. People are trying to find a solution to functionality that they have come to depend on. Business is fine, by the way. Thank you.

Now, has anyone else found a good file manager with desktop software that plays nicely together so that we can have the remote file access built into said file manager? Let's be constructive here.
    11-19-15 12:59 PM
    Is there a method to access my Priv storage from my computer like I could with bb10?

I liked how I could just go to my computer and see the passport as a network drive. I'm sure there is a way with android but I just don't know how yet!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-19-15 01:05 PM
    You're allowed to access the information from a personal smartphone?
    Yes, as long as it conforms to company policy pushed to the phone - e.g. can't use picture password (have to use a passcode), if Android (other than Priv) have to use Touchdown for mail. Minimum password lengths enforced, can be wiped remotely etc.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-19-15 03:00 PM
    Good point
    Sad that I can't like/thank your post

Yes, yes. Then connect to the company's private cloud instead. If your work is that important, for sure the company will have a cloud and/or work mobile devices for you as well (or some other way). Use them. If you can't, contact your company's IT support. If they can't, blame your company.

What you want isn't just a file manager. It is a file manager AND a desktop software.
    Nobody said the work was "that important". What the government chooses to regulate can be incredible trivial, but law is law. There's is no mobile access to the private cloud. There is access to internal networks, but only through BB10/Link.

The point being, for some BB10 users this is a big loss of functionality. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker; I'll have to do what the vast majority of my colleagues do (iOS/Android users) - simply not have access to this information without a laptop.

It's frustrating when so many folks on this board simply dismiss a major loss of functionality (not to them but to others), or imply that there are similar solutions leading to wild goose chases, when sometimes the answer is ... too bad, you'll have to live without that efficiency. It's okay to say Android can't do something.

I don't use snapchat, but I also don't go and tell BB10 users that there are snapchat equivalents, and if not, you just don't need it.
    deadcowboy, tmf06 and TheBirdDog like this.
    11-19-15 03:12 PM
    Maybe the best bet (for a BB10-style file manager on the Priv) is for a 3rd party dev to create one. Based on the number of people in this thread calling for it, it does sound like there's a market.
    11-21-15 04:59 PM
    No need. They need to focus on how to make the hub and productivity tools perfect. You can download a file manager from the thousands of file managers on Google play.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. Love the hub on BB10. They need to integrate it better

11-21-15 05:09 PM
    Nobody said the work was "that important". What the government chooses to regulate can be incredible trivial, but law is law. There's is no mobile access to the private cloud. There is access to internal networks, but only through BB10/Link.

The point being, for some BB10 users this is a big loss of functionality. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker; I'll have to do what the vast majority of my colleagues do (iOS/Android users) - simply not have access to this information without a laptop.

It's frustrating when so many folks on this board simply dismiss a major loss of functionality (not to them but to others), or imply that there are similar solutions leading to wild goose chases, when sometimes the answer is ... too bad, you'll have to live without that efficiency. It's okay to say Android can't do something.

I don't use snapchat, but I also don't go and tell BB10 users that there are snapchat equivalents, and if not, you just don't need it.
    Great post.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 07:04 PM

I don't 'like' Android but bought the Priv as a bridge from BB10 to Android, BlackBerry's methadone. I am optimistic that BB will push out updates to fix issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 07:14 PM
    I hadn't considered that. Whichever file manager you choose would naturally need to have permissions to view and manage all of your files...that's basically everything besides communique. Maybe even that included to an extent (I don't know how the Android file system works).

Wow. So...wow. Am I interpreting this situation correctly?

Posted via CB10
    Yes
    11-21-15 10:57 PM
    It is a great app, with Box and Dropbox integration as well. But creating a remote file access application means that they need to develop a desktop client as well. I hope this feature will come with the Blend for Priv, and I hope It'll come soon.
    U think blend will be coming out for the priv?

11-21-15 11:30 PM
    U think blend will be coming out for the priv?

I hope.
    11-22-15 03:17 AM
    Blackberry seriously need to create and implement there own file manager it's crazy if they don't. Every single os or Android skin has one except blackberry. I've downloaded and tried a few but they are all very slow and useless, simple things like moving files is extremely slow even when in the same storage.
    Moving a large file from sd card to another folder in the sd card should be instant but it takes 3 x longer then moving files from sd card to internal on bb10.

Blackberry make a file manager!

11-22-15 04:33 AM
    Do you use exfat? It sounds like there is an issue with sdcard formated with exfat in Priv. You might want to try to copy all data to a computer (for example), format it to fat32?
    It seems you're right. I formatted my 64gb card to FAT32 on my laptop using EaseUS Partition Master and now it shows up in File Commander during the authorisation process. Problem solved.

File Commander has all of the functionality of the BB10 file manager and then some so I'm happy now.

I'm sure BlackBerry will bring out their own in due course. They were very speedy in bringing BlackBerry 10 up to scratch after the Z10 was released. I expect no different with their android.

11-22-15 09:15 AM
    I think a LOT of people are missing one VERY IMPORTANT point.

Unless a phone is rooted, a File Manager cannot delete files on the Micro SD card. The only "legal" way for this to work is for BB to bake one in to the official ROM (Samsung does this with My Files, for example).

So yes, BlackBerry, can we PLEASE get a File Manager, even a basic one?
    11-22-15 11:40 PM
    I think a LOT of people are missing one VERY IMPORTANT point.

Unless a phone is rooted, a File Manager cannot delete files on the Micro SD card. The only "legal" way for this to work is for BB to bake one in to the official ROM (Samsung does this with My Files, for example).

So yes, BlackBerry, can we PLEASE get a File Manager, even a basic one?
    Rubbish. I deleted one just now on my sd card and my priv isn't rooted.

11-23-15 05:26 AM
    Do you mean Micro SD or the emulated SD i.e the internal extra RAM. Micro SD support has still not been fixed properly. I did discover today though that I can access the Micro SD via a usb cable to the phone, which is ... odd?

forumsDOTandroidcentralDOTcom/android-5-0-lollipop/477784-why-can-t-i-write-delete-external-sd-card-apps-lg-g3.html

But then it might also be as i'm using exFAT (because of large video files). Either way, this problem was overcome with my Sammy S5 by using their baked in to the ROM "My Files".

forumsDOTcrackberryDOTcom/blackberry-priv-f440/priv-sd-card-use-can-i-get-some-help-1047199/

so, it's not "Rubbish", you're just using an old File Format that shows you don't need large file support, I do. Again, this wasn't a problem on my S5.

In short: OEM File Manager IS required until the exFAT support is resolved that exists for all OEMs.

(Sorry, i'm not allowed to post links... yet).

edit: Yes, I have the ExFAT driver published by BlackBerry installed from Google Play.
    11-23-15 05:38 AM
210 ... 6789