How do you get the device to recognise your SD card ? The screen you shows your SD card. Mine only shows downloads and Internal storage.
    I think this is why people are confused because without the device recognizing the SD card it does not matter whether you use the Android built in file mgt or an app file mgt.
    Is it a format issue?

Posted from my Priv!
    I had thought someone mentioned the SD cards had issues with file managers if formatted using EXFAT.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tmf06; 11-18-15 at 07:06 AM.
    11-17-15 08:01 PM
    Yup, there's a file manager build into Android 6.0, and even if you've updated your device already, you might haven't even noticed its presence. That's because it isn't launched your app drawer. It wouldn't have been fun if it was that obvious, would it? Here's what you need to do to access Marshmallow's file manager feat

Open Settings
    Go to Storage and USB
    Scroll down and tap on Explore
    I think the issue is people are looking for the BB10 type file manager which had some amazing functionality coupled with simplicity. To come close on Android (especially remote file access features on BB10,deleting, copying, pasting, moving) it appears as if at least two apps are needed, and I still hear about some lack of functionality. Don't yet have the Priv, however.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-18-15 07:42 AM
    I think the issue is people are looking for the BB10 type file manager which had some amazing functionality coupled with simplicity. To come close on Android (especially remote file access features on BB10,deleting, copying, pasting, moving) it appears as if at least two apps are needed, and I still hear about some lack of functionality. Don't yet have the Priv, however.
    I made a comment on BlackBerry Hub in play store asking for bb10 features in the built in file manager where we can attach files from Dropbox etc. BlackBerry replied saying they're looking into this and will be fixed soon.

So fingers crossed, we'll have something that works!!
    garpt likes this.
    11-18-15 08:46 AM
    This is true, and something that I've noticed doesn't exist on Android: simple but functional with useful features. It's sounds crazy, but Android devs just don't seem to care about UX or UI.

Maybe Marshmallow will serve as a better material design guide for devs going forward, but fragmentation kind of prevents a unified UI design.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 01:43 PM
    This is true, and something that I've noticed doesn't exist on Android: simple but functional with useful features. It's sounds crazy, but Android devs just don't seem to care about UX or UI.
    Some do, some don't. Many Android apps are just old, using UI elements that are outdated now.
    I think this screen from FX file explorer is as clean and utilitarian as anything on BB10:

Can we get a File Manager by Blackberry on Priv?-screenshot_2015-11-18-16-20-35-1-.jpg

There was a thread here not long ago in which some people expressed the view that the BB10 UI was itself ready for an overhaul.

I think app design itself is gradually evolving away from the older philosophy of "cram as many info and features onto one screen as possible", but since Google Play is itself something of an archaeological dig, there's still a lot of that stuff around.
    11-18-15 03:27 PM

Maybe Marshmallow will serve as a better material design guide for devs going forward, but fragmentation kind of prevents a unified UI design.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting perspective, because I actually think Android devs make some of the most visually pleasing apps outside iOS apps.

Since the runtime, I do believe BB10 users have been the most unhappy with Android development.
    11-18-15 03:29 PM
    Cabinet is the cleanest design
    Thank you for the find. Checking it out.
    jm1219 likes this.
    11-18-15 04:10 PM
    Interesting perspective, because I actually think Android devs make some of the most visually pleasing apps outside iOS apps.

Since the runtime, I do believe BB10 users have been the most unhappy with Android development.
    Most of what I've seen seems visually cluttered. Default apps included. But I don't have a lot of experience with Android.

What did you think of BB10's Cascades?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:26 PM
    This.

It's funny to hear some that can't even get their SD card to show up but that's obviously an easy fix. For me, remote file access is extremely important and if it can't be worked into the Hub when attaching files to emails, that is not a small issue for me.

Example: I'm on the road and a client asks me to resend an invoice. I have all of my invoices stored on my laptop as PDFs. I compose a message in the Hub, click attach file, select my computer, then attach the file and send.

I haven't heard of an acceptable work-around for this yet. I'm sure that there is one, but it seems like people who used their device this way are in the minority. Can I set up a remote server and use one of the third party file explorers and then share through an email that way? It's a bit unfortunate that I can't do it straight from the Hub but as long as there is a way that would work... I can adapt.
    garpt likes this.
    11-18-15 09:45 PM
    BlackBerry could build out a robust file manager for Android similar to the BlackBerry 10 version. There is no real reason why they couldn't.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 09:51 PM
    I've said for a couple years, BlackBerry 10 has every mobile computing feature a user needs, right out of the box. BlackBerry 10 is a very well built OS and the BlackBerry File Manager is extremely useful, for everybody. I love my PRIV, but totally need BlackBerry to make their own Android File Manager app, I would pay for it.

Brian Beaudoin likes this.
    11-18-15 09:55 PM
    People don't understand, unless they've used BlackBerry 10. Which most of you have.

11-18-15 09:59 PM
    Most of what I've seen seems visually cluttered. Default apps included. But I don't have a lot of experience with Android.

What did you think of BB10's Cascades?
    It's very customizable, though.

Cascades? Now that was fantastic. BBRY never leveraged it IMHO.
    11-18-15 10:13 PM
    It's funny to hear some that can't even get their SD card to show up but that's obviously an easy fix. For me, remote file access is extremely important and if it can't be worked into the Hub when attaching files to emails, that is not a small issue for me.
    SD card issue is the issue with Blackberry and their ExFAT driver (or something like that). Stop saying like a File manager can do anything.

Example: I'm on the road and a client asks me to resend an invoice. I have all of my invoices stored on my laptop as PDFs. I compose a message in the Hub, click attach file, select my computer, then attach the file and send.
    The better flow should be:
    Compose the message in email app (the Hub is buggy - throw it away), click attach => file manager open => select file from cloud (save things in cloud: a free/paid service or your own server) => attach => send.

I haven't heard of an acceptable work-around for this yet. I'm sure that there is one, but it seems like people who used their device this way are in the minority. Can I set up a remote server and use one of the third party file explorers and then share through an email that way? It's a bit unfortunate that I can't do it straight from the Hub but as long as there is a way that would work... I can adapt.
    I think the main reason is that way of using is getting outdated.

Anyway, I can point out a few apps I know for sure support some kinds of network shared drive:
    - ES: Everyone seems like it, I don't - but it doesn't hurt to try.
    - Amaze: You can create a SMB Connection
    - File Commander: Support FTP/FTPS, Windows/Simba based local network and clouds.

I personally don't use File manager this way, but try them. It is how Android works. There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything.

...BlackBerry 10 has every mobile computing feature a user needs, right out of the box...
    Wanna know why BB10 has to have all the features you need? (or in other words, BB decided what all the features you need are) Because there is no app, BB has to build all the apps.

Yup. You don't.

I think the issue is people are looking for the BB10 type file manager which had some amazing functionality coupled with simplicity. To come close on Android (especially remote file access features on BB10,deleting, copying, pasting, moving) it appears as if at least two apps are needed, and I still hear about some lack of functionality.
    No.
    There are bad, ok-ish, simple-just-enough (aka: lightweight), feature-packed File managers in the Store. But all of those you mentioned above except network remote access can be found in any good file managers. Network remote access can be found in some of the better ones.
    I seriously doubt you need at least 2 apps in any use cases.
    11-18-15 10:18 PM
    Compose the message in email app (the Hub is buggy - throw it away), click attach => file manager open => select file from cloud (save things in cloud: a free/paid service or your own server) => attach => send.

I don't really know why I'm even giving you a response... but "throw the Hub away"? Why are you even using a BlackBerry? I'm sure the bugs will get sorted out with updates.

And, as far as the way that I access my files? Outdated? Because I like to store them on my own hard drive rather than in a cloud? I'm sorry but you are wrong. That's like saying cash compared to electronic payments is outdated. It's different. It might not be the newest way. Bit that doesn't make it outdated. Choice is good.
    Last edited by TheBirdDog; 11-18-15 at 11:54 PM.
    gvs1341 and Brian Beaudoin like this.
    11-18-15 10:44 PM
    Perhaps Blackberry is waiting for the Priv to get Android 6.0 before they implement a file manager? I read this article saying that google has now put a hidden file manager in 6.0.

How to Use Android 6.0?s Built-in File Manager

6.0 is suppose to eventually get dark theme / night mode as well.

*Crosses fingers*
    11-18-15 11:53 PM
    Has anyone or can anyone install "File Manager" on their Priv please via Google Play Store?! This app is made by clear.fm and is very clean layout possibly the closest to the BB10 native File Manager.

Very easy to use no clutter ice found on my Nexus 4 - test phone for learning Android not my daily (I'm using Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639) !

Although it doesn't use all the cloud storage apps, using Share option does allow you to move to other cloud storage services that you've already downloaded and signed into.

More importantly, I'm very skeptical but the privacy information especially about staying it doesn't give up your precise location YET: it gives connectivity "WiFi, cellular, etc", you decide ID, your recent country and cell tower information which all together along with proper Can and does give your accurate location = a one us learned this with an incredible app in S60 by a very great developer of old. That appears called CellTrack!

So I'm curious if anyone can install the app, give their personal findings for use and also provide full DTEK information please?

In Fact maybe a specific DTEK thread of Google App findings SHOULD be created - bad vs good apps. Hmm!!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 11:55 PM

Throw the Hub away? In BB10, that was the essence of efficiency and simplicity! Although I do agree the Android version is not nearly as integrated, simple, and perfected.

Outdated? Because I PREFER to access things such as emails Locally and not in the "cloud"?

Anyway, I can point out a few apps I know for sure support some kinds of network shared drive:
    - File Commander: Support FTP/FTPS, Windows/Simba based local network and clouds.

Sounds like you have already shown it would take at least two apps for the same utility we had built into the BB10OS

Wanna know why BB10 has to have all the features you need? Because there is no app, BB has to build all the apps.

You finally GOT IT!
    11-19-15 12:01 AM
    Perhaps Blackberry is waiting for the Priv to get Android 6.0 before they implement a file manager? I read this article saying that google has now put a hidden file manager in 6.0.

How to Use Android 6.0?s Built-in File Manager

6.0 is suppose to eventually get dark theme / night mode as well.

*Crosses fingers*
    I posted this like 2 pages ago

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 08:03 AM

I personally don't use File manager this way, but try them. It is how Android works. There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything.

I also can't believe I've answering this. If you work in any area that is regulated - e.g. Accounting, Banking, Healthcare, etc. - "select from the cloud" is NOT generally an option. In the U.S. at least, there are very strict data storage/access rules that simply don't allow public cloud storage (any form of "cloud" built into these file managers). When you say "There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything" that is simply wrong. The government is, and our employers are. That's why we have network storage in private "clouds" as well as local file storage on employer secured laptops/desktops.

Bottom line, I can't put work information on Dropbox. Period. I can have it on my work laptop. BB10 allowed access easily to this information securely. None of the Android file managers seem to do this. Any network access I've seen requires the user to be on the same network, or set up an FTP site. Both of which don't solve anything.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    11-19-15 09:13 AM
    I don't really know why I'm even giving you a response... but "throw the Hub away"? Why are you even using a BlackBerry? I'm sure the bugs will get sorted out with updates.
    Of course you can wait until BB "fix" their Hub, which you have to face it: currently in Android, the Hub (different from BB10), is redundant, a half-*** message aggregator and a buggy email client.

And, as far as the way that I access my files? Outdated? Because I like to store them on my own hard drive rather than in a cloud? I'm sorry but you are wrong. That's like saying cash compared to electronic payments is outdated. It's different. It might not be the newest way. Bit that doesn't make it outdated. Choice is good.
    No one forces you to. It is the same as no one force someone to not use a mp3 music player (most people use their own phones). But, does it make it outdated? Yes.
    Are you afraid of the word "cloud"? Don't you know it is just a server? Don't you know you can turn your computer into a server as well (if you have some $)?

To me, it looks like you are not interested in finding a solution at all - you just wanna bash Android for it no being your BB10. Give it up.
    11-19-15 09:35 AM
    I also can't believe I've answering this. If you work in any area that is regulated - e.g. Accounting, Banking, Healthcare, etc. - "select from the cloud" is NOT generally an option. In the U.S. at least, there are very strict data storage/access rules that simply don't allow public cloud storage (any form of "cloud" built into these file managers). When you say "There is no one forcing you into a way to do anything" that is simply wrong. The government is, and our employers are. That's why we have network storage in private "clouds" as well as local file storage on employer secured laptops/desktops.

Bottom line, I can't put work information on Dropbox. Period. I can have it on my work laptop. BB10 allowed access easily to this information securely. None of the Android file managers seem to do this. Any network access I've seen requires the user to be on the same network, or set up an FTP site. Both of which don't solve anything.
    You're allowed to access the information from a personal smartphone?
    11-19-15 09:37 AM
    Throw the Hub away? In BB10, that was the essence of efficiency and simplicity! Although I do agree the Android version is not nearly as integrated, simple, and perfected.
    Outdated? Because I PREFER to access things such as emails Locally and not in the "cloud"?
    Sounds like you have already shown it would take at least two apps for the same utility we had built into the BB10OS
    You finally GOT IT!
    1. Yes. With the current iteration, as I already said, is redundant, half-*** and buggy.
    2. No one said you can't prefer an outdated model. You can still write a letter with a typewriter nowadays.
    3. What? When? Where? In the 3 examples I gave, File Commander should have all the features. Don't you know the difference between: "you can choose one of these 3" and "you have to use these 3"?
    4. Yes. I know. It isn't something you should be proud of especially in this forum when you guys are bashing iOS left and right.
    11-19-15 09:43 AM
    What you're suggesting might be fine for casual consumer use. But it's not a serious approach to professional communications and file management. BB10 functionality was based on established best practice corporate and Enterprise work flows, not consumer desires.

Downloading random third party apps to use for email and file management is NOT allowed for work documents by many, many companies for obvious reasons. Moreover who wants to have to select different apps to communicate via email, SMS IM, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. In the course of a busy workday running from meeting to meeting?!

What many BlackBerry users love about BB10 is the consistent, integrated experience of communicating across all channels with the same interface and functionality, including sharing files from all locations (local, SD card, cloud, Bluetooth, network).

Blackberry is way ahead of iOS and Android in this core area. I have every hope that they will port a similar experience to Android. A secure, smooth Blackberry Hub/File Manager app combo will greatly improve the Android experience.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 09:55 AM
    1. Yes. With the current iteration, as I already said, is redundant, half-*** and buggy.
    2. No one said you can't prefer an outdated model. You can still write a letter with a typewriter nowadays.
    3. What? When? Where? In the 3 examples I gave, File Commander should have all the features. Don't you know the difference between: "you can choose one of these 3" and "you have to use these 3"?
    4. Yes. I know. It isn't something you should be proud of especially in this forum when you guys are bashing iOS left and right.
    There is obviously *not* a single android file manager that supplies all the functionality and simplicity of the BB10 file manager, or this thread (and many others with folks griping about the problem) wouldn't exist!
    gvs1341 likes this.
    11-19-15 09:55 AM
210 ... 56789