11-06-15 07:55 PM
33 12
tools
    Maybe I'm an ***** but I can't find it anywhere on my Priv (AT&T Branded).
    11-06-15 02:04 PM
    There is no BB File Manager. You'll have to use a third party one like ES File Manager
    HyperM3 likes this.
    11-06-15 02:07 PM
    There is no BB File Manager. You'll have to use a third party one like ES File Manager
    Jeez, that's what I figured. Thought they baked one in, I guess I missed that.
    11-06-15 02:08 PM
    There's no native file manager on android?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 02:14 PM
    People will tell you to download one from the store... I get that.

But,

This is supposed to be a secure professional grade productivity device and I would love a file manager as sharp as BB10's. There is just a conflicting message when they say "privacy" then say just use some random 3rd party to manage your remote access and cloud accounts..

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 02:18 PM

But,

This is supposed to be a secure professional grade productivity device and I would love a file manager as sharp as BB10's. There is just a conflicting message when they say "privacy" then say just use some random 3rd party to manage your remote access and cloud accounts..

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!
    11-06-15 02:21 PM
    There's no native file manager on android?

Posted via CB10
    Not on this device (one that I can find anyway).
    11-06-15 02:21 PM
    Not on this device (one that I can find anyway).
    Android 6.0 has a very basic one, that's kinda buried.
    11-06-15 02:29 PM
    Android 6.0 has a very basic one, that's kinda buried.
    Yeah. I don't know why but I thought Blackberry was including one.
    11-06-15 02:30 PM
    There are literally thousands of them for you to choose on Google playstore.
    11-06-15 02:30 PM
    Some people did say they where including one, I remember the comments, guess they where wrong.

Though, I'd recommend x-plore, I used it for years on Symbian, excellent file manager.
    Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-06-15 02:34 PM

But,

I also agree with this...
    11-06-15 02:56 PM
    There are literally thousands of them for you to choose on Google playstore.
    People keep saying that and I get that, but we are just frustrated that this is a step backwards for us. We are coming from a phone that people laugh at for being a dinosaur, but yet it does things theirs don't.

There is no android file manager that I know of that I can access all the files on my work and home PC's directly in the file manager through a cell connection. Maybe there is and I just can't find it - but I use this weekly on my Z10. Even if I am in Europe.

And I'll save you from giving me the standard answer "move all your files to dropbox, etc." and save you from listening to my standard answer "why should I have to?"
    Yertie, ssbtech and HabsFan9860 like this.
    11-06-15 03:01 PM
    I think BlackBerry users have been spoiled as you don't get a file manager on iPhones, windows phones, or stock Android.

BlackBerry could have included one but as there are loads on the play store, I guess they figure it was just easier to not build their own. Though I guess they could have made a deal or something and at least pre installed a third party one.

Anyways, the recommendation for ES file manager is a good one. I find it better than the stock BlackBerry file manager as it gives you network access. I actually use it on my passport.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    11-06-15 03:02 PM
    Entry level stumbling block. Samsung TouchWiz has file manager. Basic android does not. I am using ES on my priv right now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-06-15 03:05 PM
    I think BlackBerry users have been spoiled as you don't get a file manager on iPhones, windows phones, or stock Android.

BlackBerry could have included one but as there are loads on the play store, I guess they figure it was just easier to not build their own. Though I guess they could have made a deal or something and at least pre installed a third party one.

Anyways, the recommendation for ES file manager is a good one. I find it better than the stock BlackBerry file manager as it gives you network access. I actually use it on my passport.
    All my Symbian's had one, my BB10 has one, damn even my cheapo Nokia Asha had one

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-06-15 03:09 PM
    If you're not familiar with Android, you will learn over time that some features Google/Android will leave in the hands of 3rd party developers. There are advantages to this method. For example, it opens opportunity for app developers to contribute, offers the end users a wide variety of choices, gives the end user faster opportunities to upgrade instead of waiting for OS updates, and minimizes resources required to improve or upgrade overall OS functionality.

If you're worried about security, pick a file manager that suits your secure needs. ES File Explorer does just that and more.

In a nutshell, Android's philosophy is that not everything has to be baked in to the OS. Customization is key.
    11-06-15 03:20 PM
    If you're worried about security, pick a file manager that suits your secure needs. ES File Explorer does just that and more.
    But how do you trust the developers of this particular app? If you give the app network access (because you want to use FTP or whatever), how do you know it's not secretly sending your files elsewhere? How do you know it's not deleting or corrupting your data, and if that does happen, what comeback do you have against an unknown company that sold you a $3.99 piece of software?

Core functionality like this ought to be built into the system. It's great that there are alternatives out there, though.
    mikegcox, tmf06 and ssbtech like this.
    11-06-15 04:28 PM
    I too could not find the file manager and will try ES. What about an app for just viewing photos!? From I can tell so far, there is not a native one. No "gallery" app as what I have seen on Samsungs.

Kurt
    11-06-15 04:31 PM
    But how do you trust the developers of this particular app? If you give the app network access (because you want to use FTP or whatever), how do you know it's not secretly sending your files elsewhere? How do you know it's not deleting or corrupting your data, and if that does happen, what comeback do you have against an unknown company that sold you a $3.99 piece of software?

Core functionality like this ought to be built into the system. It's great that there are alternatives out there, though.
    the app would no longer be in the app store if there was issues with the developer...
    11-06-15 04:33 PM

Blackberry has network access as well AND you do not need to be on the same network to use it. Once you map it while connected to the link software, I can access any file on any computer I mapped to even on a cell network 1/2 way around the world.

It works great and I use it all the time on my Z10.
    11-06-15 04:33 PM

It's called due diligence and research. Not that hard. Aside from that though, apps like ES File Explorer maintains a stellar reputation. As well, in the Google Play Store, the app is noted as trustworthy and well maintained by Google's signature of trust (there's an icon indicating so).
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-06-15 04:39 PM
    Blackberry has network access as well AND you do not need to be on the same network to use it. Once you map it while connected to the link software, I can access any file on any computer I mapped to even on a cell network 1/2 way around the world.

It works great and I use it all the time on my Z10.
    Yeah, but you need to have blend or link installed and tuning on your PC. Plus it is only good on the computer the software is installed on.

I have a synology server I can access with the android file manager on my BlackBerry which I can't do through BlackBerry file manager.

But being able to access files through cellular I guess is good but you can replicate that through VPN I think.
    11-06-15 04:46 PM
    It's in the hypervisor 😊

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-06-15 04:56 PM
    I use ES on my Note and I love it. Samsung does have a native file app but it's pretty basic. ES Let's me access my laptop wirelessly, and I can also see my phone via ip address in browser. Very cool file manager. What I have yet to try is Airdroid which is like Blend (need to install both on pc and phone) and then you can do everything from your pc ie messages, emails etc...
    11-06-15 05:02 PM
33 12