Yeah, but you need to have blend or link installed and tuning on your PC. Plus it is only good on the computer the software is installed on.

I have a synology server I can access with the android file manager on my BlackBerry which I can't do through BlackBerry file manager.

But being able to access files through cellular I guess is good but you can replicate that through VPN I think.
    Not really. It's good for the computer that's running Link and any other computers with drives mapped to that computer. e.g., I have link running on an old thinkpad that has network drives mapped to my NAS. I have full access to the NAS from anywhere in the world over a cell network. This access is through a firewalled FIOS router with neither the Thinkpad nor the NAS exposed directly to the Internet. I still can't find an Android File Manager that can do this.
    11-06-15 05:03 PM
    I use ES on my Note and I love it. Samsung does have a native file app but it's pretty basic. ES Let's me access my laptop wirelessly, and I can also see my phone via ip address in browser. Very cool file manager. What I have yet to try is Airdroid which is like Blend (need to install both on pc and phone) and then you can do everything from your pc ie messages, emails etc...
    Not to mention ES File Explorer's ability to utilize Secure FTP. So you can be anywhere an access your files anywhere securely. Assuming your files are stored somewhere that FTP is an option. I myself use it quite often.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-06-15 05:15 PM
    If I install ES or Solid explorer, do I need to bother installing OneDrive? Or with those managers deal with syncing files I select from OneDrive?
    11-06-15 05:56 PM
    It's called due diligence and research. Not that hard. Aside from that though, apps like ES File Explorer maintains a stellar reputation. As well, in the Google Play Store, the app is noted as trustworthy and well maintained by Google's signature of trust (there's an icon indicating so).
    I don't know that reading play store reviews and a Google signature of trust equals diligence and research , but I suppose it's better than giving a random play store app access to your phone, desktop, and cloud drives.

Posted via CB10
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    11-06-15 06:04 PM
    I don't know that reading play store reviews and a Google signature of trust equals diligence and research , but I suppose it's better than giving a random play store app access to your phone, desktop, and cloud drives.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah... where did I allude to play store reviews being due diligence? Once you become familiar with the ecosystem, you learn who's reputable or not. But hey... continue to be paranoid. It can't hurt. But it'll slow you down.
    11-06-15 06:17 PM
    Yeah... where did I allude to play store reviews being due diligence? Once you become familiar with the ecosystem, you learn who's reputable or not. But hey... continue to be paranoid. It can't hurt. But it'll slow you down.
    Well you have had years to acclimate to Android and freely sharing all your data with Google and whatever third party app providers. Please understand that thus is new to many of us.

I don't think trying to understand the implications of downloading a file manager app is paranoid. The attitude of "there are thousands of options" and "just do your research" is really not helpful

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:29 PM
    Whether or not ES File Explorer is safe to use is irrelevant. The Priv is marketed as a secure/private device, and requiring users to rely on 3rd party apps do perform basic file management tasks opens them up to the possibility of downloading something that's not safe.
    11-06-15 07:02 PM
    People will tell you to download one from the store... I get that.

But,

This is supposed to be a secure professional grade productivity device and I would love a file manager as sharp as BB10's. There is just a conflicting message when they say "privacy" then say just use some random 3rd party to manage your remote access and cloud accounts..

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Priv=privacy+privilege. It's a joke!
    The most basic privacy app: the file manager, is third party.
    Chen has ruined everything!
    11-06-15 07:55 PM
33 12