This is a companion thread to my Camera Importer thread. Trying to prepare for a three week vacation and want to be able to transfer pictures mainly from the Priv to the Samsung Tab S (but for generic purposes - any Android device) or do I need an intermediary Thumbdrive or similar device as a middleman so to speak.

I have hooked the Priv and Tab S together using a OTG adapter cable. While I heard a beep from the Tab S, the Priv does not show up in the normal places (Storage or File manager). Similarly, nothing from the Tab S shows up on the Priv. I did connect a thumbdrive to the Priv yesterday so I know that can work.

I recall that "like" devices were not intended to communicate as one must be primary and the other secondary or something like that.

Any info appreciated.
    05-18-16 02:31 PM
    Have you tried u sing BlackBerry Blend? I know I can move files from my Z30 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab that way. Might be worth a try.
    05-20-16 01:51 PM
    Unfortunately, they have not made a version of Blend that works with the Priv.
    05-20-16 02:44 PM
    I thought that was what NFC was for.
    05-20-16 02:50 PM
    I thought that was what NFC was for.
    I don't think the Tab S has nfc??? I don't see it mentioned in the settings.
    05-20-16 03:46 PM
    Guess you won'y be going that route then.
    I picked up a little 64 gig thumb drive with 2 connectors, standard on one end and micro on the other, eliminates the cable at least.
    Haven't used it yet.
    http://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-conn...ilpage_o02_s00
    Less than $20.00
    05-20-16 04:24 PM
    I know its not what you want to hear but how about a wireless portable hard drive?
    Or does your tablet have an sd or microsd slot? Can transfer that way

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-20-16 04:42 PM
    Fumbling around with those tiny cards into the slots and/or adapters is not my idea of fun.

I guess I will stick with the Thumbdrive option. I picked up a 128gig at Costco the other day. I'm filling it up with videos and other stuff just to put it through its paces.
    05-20-16 06:05 PM
    Google drive

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-20-16 07:59 PM
    I just managed to transfer photos between Priv and another android device using bluetooth sharing from the Photos app. (NFC similarly typically just sets up a bluetooth connection)
    On the receiving device, go into bluetooth settings and the device will become discoverable.

There are probably quicker ways to do it using wi-fi direct, though I've not explored the options. Google Play has some apps like SuperBeam which sound like they would do the trick. In wi-fi advanced settings, you can enable wi-fi direct and pair two devices, but I have yet to try an app to transfer between them. Sound be much quicker than the bluetooth route though. Good luck!
    FF22 and gizmo21 like this.
    05-21-16 12:00 AM
    Setup a Hotspot on the priv, connect to it with the Samsung and use something like solid explorers wireless file sharing?
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-21-16 06:16 AM
    Setup a Hotspot on the priv, connect to it with the Samsung and use something like solid explorers wireless file sharing?
    Verizon wants too much money for a Hotspot. Not part of my plan.
    05-21-16 09:12 AM
    Verizon wants too much money for a Hotspot. Not part of my plan.
    He meant host a hotspot from your Priv

05-21-16 09:17 AM
    Just read up on Wi-Fi direct but it apparently not supported without third party apps for file sharing.
    These were the one mentioned

Superbeam or HitcherNet; and
    File Commander

I have not tried any of these but thought I would pass on what I found in the BlackBerry support Community forums re Wi-Fi direct file sharing.

Hope if you find a reasonable solution, you come back and share it with us.

Good luck.

05-21-16 09:41 AM
    [ATTACH]400298[/

What would the top and bottom options allow you to do? Would it apply to your situation.
    Sorry OP I am not technologically inclined but I am curious and want to learn more. Sorry for more questions than answers.

Attached Thumbnails Can Priv and Samsung Tab S (any android device) share files/pictures via usb cable?-39683.jpg  
    05-21-16 09:49 AM
    I have the same devices and have always wondered about this!?

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    05-21-16 10:08 AM
    He meant host a hotspot from your Priv

I'm not sure but I don't think Verizon allows that as part of my plan. It has been suggested that is an extra $30/month!
    05-21-16 10:08 AM
    I will continue to look around. But have a feeling the most expeditious way is just using a Thumbdrive.

I had used Dukto on my Tab S and my Z30 for wifi transfers last summer but can't seem to get the Priv and Tab recognizing each other.
    05-21-16 10:11 AM
    If you set up google photos on both devices under the same account it will automatically sync all existing and new photos on both devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    05-21-16 02:45 PM
    If you set up google photos on both devices under the same account it will automatically sync all existing and new photos on both devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Thanks for that suggestion. From what I've read I would have to pay for additional storage or a different account otherwise Google reduces the image size/resolution if you use free storage. Also, while I have no racy shots, I'm still not sure that I want google having access to my photos.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-21-16 03:48 PM
    For the benefit of everyone who didn't see my BBM discussion with F2 I attached a USB OTG cable to my LG tablet (lollipop 5.1.1) and then used a standard microUSB cable to connect the OTG to my priv and set the priv to 'mount sd card' under settings - storage - overflow menu - usb computer connection. This showed my external sd on the LG tab as USB storage.
    05-21-16 04:42 PM
    Just read up on Wi-Fi direct but it apparently not supported without third party apps for file sharing.
    These were the one mentioned
    wi-fi direct is definitely supported.. I did pair two devices together.. you just need an app of some sort to actually push the files across. it's possible a file manager has this capability, or the others you mentioned.
    05-21-16 04:45 PM
    For the benefit of everyone who didn't see my BBM discussion with F2 I attached a USB OTG cable to my LG tablet (lollipop 5.1.1) and then used a standard microUSB cable to connect the OTG to my priv and set the priv to 'mount sd card' under settings - storage - overflow menu - usb computer connection. This showed my external sd on the LG tab as USB storage.
    Right. And I could not get it to work. What I got was a quick alternating text lines "Battery Connected/Battery Disconnected" over and over on the Priv. The Tab S, in my case, followed suit by offering to open the Gallery app and then prompting that over and over. The OTG cable worked fine, separately on both units as I could read and write a thumbdrive attached to the cable/adapter.
    05-21-16 05:48 PM
    Right. And I could not get it to work. What I got was a quick alternating text lines "Battery Connected/Battery Disconnected" over and over on the Priv. The Tab S, in my case, followed suit by offering to open the Gallery app and then prompting that over and over. The OTG cable worked fine, separately on both units as I could read and write a thumbdrive attached to the cable/adapter.
    Perhaps for the slave device you have to change USB mode to media device MTP instead of charging only?

Or perhaps USB debugging mode:
    http://blog.recovery-android.com/tra...d-via-usb-otg/

Here is another one with another solution - otg seems to be far from standardised:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2640456
    FF22 likes this.
    05-22-16 06:47 PM