I think I know the answer but can't remember all the Android OS, do it yourself update stuff.

In a worse case scenario, BB stops supporting Priv, can Android be manually loaded? I do know that if it could you'd lose the built in HUB. I remember factory images for specific Google Nexus phone. Anyway, my question is about the phone, and it's ability or not to be manually updated.
    11-03-15 06:02 AM
    Not if the bootloader is locked, and it is.

The kernel and system partitions are checksummed by the bootloader using cryptographic signatures and if they do not validate the phone will not boot.

BlackBerry would have to release an unlocked bootloader. The odds of them doing so is not high and the odds of someone figuring out how to hack one into the device is also not high, although the latter is theoretically possible, particularly if you open it up and JTAG the hardware.
    11-03-15 07:21 AM

The kernel and system partitions are checksummed by the bootloader using cryptographic signatures and if they do not validate the phone will not boot.

BlackBerry would have to release an unlocked bootloader. The odds of them doing so is not high and the odds of someone figuring out how to hack one into the device is also not high, although the latter is theoretically possible, particularly if you open it up and JTAG the hardware.
    When the PlayBook was ended, many hoped BlackBerry would unlock it.... and allow people to install Android on it.

But when BlackBerry sells a product that has security features, they really can't go back and disable those features and put the customers that were counting on those features at risk.

There are "modules" of the Android OS that will still get updates via Google Play, regardless of BlackBerry.
    11-03-15 07:47 AM

Again... someone at XDA will figure it out... all they need is little bit of interest on the Priv...

I had a Samsung phone with Bada OS(samsung's own OS) and these guys figured out a way to install Android in it :/. They are simply brilliant

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux likes this.
    11-03-15 08:19 AM
    Again... someone at XDA will figure it out... all they need is little bit of interest on the Priv...

I had a Samsung phone with Bada OS(samsung's own OS) and these guys figured out a way to install Android in it :/. They are simply brilliant

Posted via CB10
    Doubtful.

These aren't just software locked bootloaders like previous devices, they are hardware locked with various checkpoints and encrypted PIN injections inside the physical chips - as per Qualcomm.

Good luck getting through that! As a computer science major I'm aware that technically anything is possible, but it won't be something a hobbyist can do from the comfort of their living room. You would most likely need inside info from BlackBerry regarding encryption keys and the verification methodology.

Basically, if BlackBerry says "No.", it's a no .

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-03-15 08:31 AM
    I think I know the answer but can't remember all the Android OS, do it yourself update stuff.

In a worse case scenario, BB stops supporting Priv, can Android be manually loaded? I do know that if it could you'd lose the built in HUB. I remember factory images for specific Google Nexus phone. Anyway, my question is about the phone, and it's ability or not to be manually updated.
    As of now.. No...
    But I think if the PRIV is a failure and BlackBerry drops support for it then they will allow us to unlock the bootloader of we wish.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-03-15 08:33 AM

The Priv is running stock Android with a BB launcher which includes the Hub etc. It's not built into the OS which means if you choose to do so you could use a different launcher like Nova, or Google Now launcher etc. It's up to the individual user how they want to use their device. I'm using an S6 edge at the moment and prefer using the Google Now launcher instead of Samsungs Touch Wiz.
    11-03-15 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    There already are some devices that they haven't been able to root
    From the top of my head, I remember the AT&T and Verizon version of the Galaxy Note 4

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-03-15 08:58 AM
    If the bootloader is locked and done properly (in the hardware, not just the software), the only way around it would be to steal BlackBerry's signing keys. That would allow you to send the phone a crafted update that would replace both the bootloader and kernel with unsigned copies and it would accept them since they are signed with the proper key.

Good luck with ripping that off; I believe you can safely assume that BlackBerry treats those keys as the most highly-protected secret in the company -- because they are.
    11-03-15 09:55 AM
    Blackberry is not going anywhere so why would this even come up? Even if they don't make any more money than they do now they can easily be here for the next decade.
    11-03-15 10:06 AM
    From the top of my head, I remember the AT&T and Verizon version of the Galaxy Note 4

The other thing with those devices was not enough people had them to make the massive amount of work needed worth it.
    11-03-15 10:10 AM
    I'm going to refer to AOSP as 'Wild Android' from now on.
    Thanks lol
    11-03-15 10:14 AM
    As of now.. No...
    But I think if the PRIV is a failure and BlackBerry drops support for it then they will allow us to unlock the bootloader of we wish.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    I wouldn't count on that.

If they sell one phone to the DoD or some other organization as a secure device with all of these built in locks.... even if they drop hardware and the whole Android experience, there would be too many legal issues with providing a tool to unlock those devices.
    11-03-15 10:20 AM

The Verizon branded phones have been very difficult to root. They have made that known in the XDA forums. Just look around the other Android Sites (Android Central, Android Authority, Android Police), whenever they publish that a device is rootable from XDA, it's likely the ones from AT&T or T-Mobile.
    11-03-15 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yup, there ready to go

http://forum.xda-developers.com/blackberry-priv
    11-03-15 10:31 AM