Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi. I am new to the Priv. I have always rooted my android phones. Can I root the priv?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 09:23 PM
    No.
    mrjmc99 and Randal Yandal like this.
    10-03-16 09:29 PM
    No. XDA had a bounty offered to anyone that could root one and the price got up to $900 and it looks everyone gave up. Read the thread a few below yours referencing a bounty to root a Priv so he could get updates.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-03-16 09:32 PM
    No, and why would you want to?

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    10-03-16 11:05 PM

I want to root my Verizon Priv so that I can blow away its "security" so that I can secure it with Security Updates that Verizon will not issue!
    misterabrasive likes this.
    10-04-16 12:30 AM

I need to root it so I can us it with my 'app radio' in my car.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 05:38 AM
    I need to root it so I can us it with my 'app radio' in my car.

Posted via CB10
    You do know you don't need to root to sideload APKs right? That's a common misconception. Root is only needed if you need shell or privileged access to bits were you shouldn't really be messing with on a daily basis.
    10-04-16 06:29 AM
    You do know you don't need to root to sideload APKs right? That's a common misconception. Root is only needed if you need shell or privileged access to bits were you shouldn't really be messing with on a daily basis.
    I'm assuming he means this:
    [MOD] AppRadio Unchained - Full mirorring fo€ | Android Development and Hacking

To get the App Radio to mirror fully you'll need root. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with the Priv.
    Last edited by okyoureabeast; 10-06-16 at 08:12 AM.
    10-04-16 07:35 AM
    Hi. I am new to the Priv. I have always rooted my android phones. Can I root the priv?

Posted via CB10
    With Android M or L, the PRIV is vulnerable to be rooted. Witness the recent Quadrooter vulnerabilities and the scrambling to patch them. However, I surmise that a rooted OS may not load next time you reboot. You may also get warnings from DTEK of your OS being compromised. If you believe what Chen said about security gap with BB10 being closed with BlackBerry's release of Android N, rooting of an BlackBerry Android phone would be much more difficult, if possible at all.
    10-04-16 08:24 AM
    Yes I am using app radio unchained with my LG. I wanted the priv to fully mirror and use the radio as a touch screen for the phone. Need root for that unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 02:31 PM

Many valiant reasons to root one's device... It only becomes a 'danger' if you don't know WTF you're doing and just loading random shady roms, apps and such, but otherwise, rooting an Android device is beneficial in endless ways... Provides maximum personalization as well as optimization of one's device, utilizing/harnessing its full potential without restriction... With trusted sources and a well researched/knowledgeable approach a rooted device can be just as 'safe' if not even safer than your stock Android device...

The Priv would be a beast if rootable... No doubt...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 06:26 PM
    The only android phones I would ever buy used are the priv and the dtek50 exactly because they cannot be rooted. Who knows what the hell you get otherwise

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    10-04-16 06:39 PM
    With Android M or L, the PRIV is vulnerable to be rooted...
    Other Android phones may be vulnerable but the PRIV is not just another Android phone. There are features in the hardware and firmware of PRIV that prevent rooting.
    10-05-16 04:44 PM
    With Android M or L, the PRIV is vulnerable to be rooted. Witness the recent Quadrooter vulnerabilities and the scrambling to patch them. However, I surmise that a rooted OS may not load next time you reboot. You may also get warnings from DTEK of your OS being compromised. If you believe what Chen said about security gap with BB10 being closed with BlackBerry's release of Android N, rooting of an BlackBerry Android phone would be much more difficult, if possible at all.
    BSRT-2016-007 Vulnerability in Qualcomm kernel driver impacts BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones

This vulnerability is mitigated for all customers by the requirement that an attacker must persuade a user to install a local app running malicious code on the smartphone. An attacker cannot force the user to install a malicious app and the user can only do so if they have turned off the Verify Apps and SafetyNet features. BlackBerry is not aware of any such malicious app exploiting this vulnerability.

Additionally, there are no remote vectors for this vulnerability.

Further, BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones use a unique security system to prevent persistent compromise. Attempts to use this vulnerability to gain persistent local elevated privileges on a BlackBerry Android smartphone are likely to fail with an error. Any compromise would not persist after a reboot.

Finally, side-loading apps on BlackBerry Android smartphones is not permitted by default; users should check the DTEK by BlackBerry application for verification of their security settings.
    10-05-16 04:51 PM