Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum; I'm excited! I have a BlackBerry Classic for AT&T, which I believe was the last OS 10 phone before they went Android. I like the physical keyboard and want to buy a Priv, particularly now that it's much cheaper. I drive for Uber and use an old iPhone I got for free for that.

When there's a boxing card that can be streamed live via Showtime's YouTube or Facebook page, or the Showtime app, or ESPN+ app, or the soon-to-be-released DAZN app, I'd like to be able to stream it on my BlackBerry while Uber'ing to at least listen to the commentary, even if I'm not watching it. Unfortunately I can't stream the audio only on the iPhone (at least, not to my knowledge) while keeping the Uber app active. Can anyone who has/had a Priv confirm that they were able to do a live video stream?

Thanks,
    Josh
    05-14-18 03:33 PM
    Sounds like the question is can you keep the Uber app active while streaming.... which is something that Uber at one time said they were working to prevent. I really don't know if they have yet or not.
    05-14-18 04:01 PM
    Nope, I plan to continue to use two phones: iPhone for Uber, and BlackBerry Priv for live video stream. When boxing's on talkSPORT radio, I can have that running in the background on the iPhone while running Uber, I'm guessing because it's audio only, but for a video stream I expect to have to use a 2nd phone.
    05-14-18 04:57 PM
    Nope, I plan to continue to use two phones: iPhone for Uber, and BlackBerry Priv for live video stream. When boxing's on talkSPORT radio, I can have that running in the background on the iPhone while running Uber, I'm guessing because it's audio only, but for a video stream I expect to have to use a 2nd phone.
    I've been able to watch Facebook live streams and I have been able to video chat with other people on the PRIV using Facebook and BBM. A video chat kind of counts as a live stream. So I believe the PRIV can do it. I wouldn't recommend it though. It heats up real fast and eats the battery like crazy.
    05-15-18 12:36 PM
    Interesting, thanks for letting me know! I just called my brother-in-law, an Android user, to see what he thought. Was the screen brightness on really bright when you did that? I'll have the phone plugged into my car charger while streaming, so I'm not worried about battery life, but my bro-in-law was saying that on his Androids past and present, so long as the screen isn't/wasn't too bright, it doesn't get so hot that you can't hold it or anything like that. I don't suppose you could go a step further and stream a pre-recorded video on a lower brightness setting, and see if the phone still heats up? If you're too busy, of course, I understand. Or perhaps you've already compared the PRIV and a different Android phone previously, and simply noticed the PRIV heats up more?
    05-15-18 03:39 PM
    Interesting, thanks for letting me know! I just called my brother-in-law, an Android user, to see what he thought. Was the screen brightness on really bright when you did that? I'll have the phone plugged into my car charger while streaming, so I'm not worried about battery life, but my bro-in-law was saying that on his Androids past and present, so long as the screen isn't/wasn't too bright, it doesn't get so hot that you can't hold it or anything like that. I don't suppose you could go a step further and stream a pre-recorded video on a lower brightness setting, and see if the phone still heats up? If you're too busy, of course, I understand. Or perhaps you've already compared the PRIV and a different Android phone previously, and simply noticed the PRIV heats up more?
    As long as you will have it in your car, position it in front of an A/C vent and you'll never have to worry about overheating. I have a CD slot holder for my Priv and it sits directly in front of the vent. It does get warm when using navigation so that definitely helps. Especially when the sun comes through the windshield and hits the phone.
    05-15-18 06:54 PM
    The phone hasn't ever gotten so hot that I couldn't hold it, it just gets uncomfortably warm and after using it, it isn't nice to put in your pocket. The suggestion by misterabrasive should do the trick with the A/C vent. The priv does get very hot when charging and simultaneously using it though in my opinion.
    05-16-18 12:37 AM
    The Priv streams well, and the screen is really nice for that. As pointed out above, it does tend to get warm, or hot, (which one seems to depend on your particular device and definition of hot). And the battery does not last while streaming.
    My concern is the safety and legality. Driving around watching any kind of video is illegal almost everywhere, and completely unsafe. If I were to get into any kind of for hire, and the driver was watching vids, I'd promptly get out and report the driver.
    Remember to switch to audio only before the car starts to move, get a vehicle QC-2 charger, and mount it on an AC vent, and you'll be in great shape.
    05-16-18 06:33 AM
    Thanks everyone! Between the feedback here and a Google search for "blackberry priv overheating", I think I'm going to give it a go! I plan to have it off to the side where I can't even see the video, with the audio coming through the car speakers via Bluetooth. But if I have to have it in front of an A/C vent to keep it cool, then yeah I'll have to figure out a way that the video doesn't distract me.
    05-16-18 10:35 AM