My wife has to use several apps for work so we got her a Priv to replace the Z10 she's been using.

She has no Google services of any kind and doesn't want to use the cloud backup and other "convenient features" Google has as options, especially since by giving Google access to her calendar or contacts she will be violating HIPPA regulations as well as not only her privacy but that of every person in her contact list. None of them gave her permission to share their information with anyone, much less to market it to every telemarketing or spam list that decided to buy it! She freaked when she actually read the total joke of a NON"privacy" policy Google has the gall to post, where they basically want to own every scrap of info about you that they can find and 99+% of users never even read it.

So, she's not going to put anything on it that they can access that has her real name, address etc. But if she can't keep them out of the contacts it will make it very difficult to actually use it as a phone! She will only use the free apps she needs for work so can avoid giving them a credit card that has genuine personal info and I really hope that the articles about DTEK being finally able to deny more of the ridiculous permissions once AT&T releases MM are true. Otherwise we made a $449 mistake getting this device.

Does anyone know of specific info on how she could do this?

And no, she doesn't have any twitter, instagram etc to keep running. Just needs some technical apps for work that haven't been released on BlackBerry world. Thanks.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    05-04-16 08:13 AM
    First of all, with no google play services means she doesn't have to use a google account, but then there is no play store access.

Secondly, of the company she's with is that concerned, they would be providing devices with BES or Android for Work or something.

Her company apparently doesn't care about information, otherwise they would be on the hook, and not her.

If this is a personal device for a home or small business, and it's that big of a concern, then you will have to set up one of those solutions yourself.

All Android devices would be the same in this case. Blackberry would only be better by virtue of the fact that they don't back up your contacts to google, and ios does the same.

Realistically speaking, your contacts should not even be available on a mobile device. They should be on enterprise grade desktop software only.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    05-04-16 08:17 AM
    Switch off auto-sync under settings.

*A3-A20
    05-04-16 08:21 AM
    She can choose not to sync most info with Google. Takes digging into different settings but it can be done.
    05-04-16 08:22 AM
    She can choose not to sync most info with Google. Takes digging into different settings but it can be done.
    Settings -> Account -> (Your Account) -> Contacts, and set that to off. Also turn off People.

On top of that, use DTEK to identify which apps are requesting contact info and disable the permission, or the app completely.

But since you're getting that AT&T variant, this won't work till the autoloader is out.
    05-04-16 08:35 AM
    Well, I made a mistake yesterday which closed me out of the Google Play store. When I finally "fixed" it (with great help from CB), and re-established my Google Account, one of the first questions I was prompted to answer was "Backup/store or whatever my data, settings, and more stuff to Google" and I replied NO. So that probably takes care of some of her concerns. Then when you setup various other things and email, you can sync Contacts and Calendar or NOT sync those things.

Just an interesting note: When my friend had a dumb phone she was jealous of all the apps on Android that she read about and wanted. She got an Android device. BUT, big BUT, she decided that google was too invasive and prying. So she now refuses to use the smart phone and its various apps to keep google out of her business. Basically, you canNOT win. Well, you can but trying to get/use apps involves tremendous tradeoffs. Open your life and uses and location to Google or work very hard to keep them out while still being able to reasonably use the phone and its features.
    05-04-16 10:17 AM
    Why not avoid using location dependent apps and use it with DTEK helping you block permissions? Or is it a case where the complete and utter surrender that Google expects from every user means that even with the marshmallow that's coming to many users you CAN'T keep Google themselves from keeping your location, browsing, app usage etc to yourself at all? Which does DTEK do, let us block access or just tells you that various apps are "phoning home" but leaving no ability to affect it?

05-06-16 08:06 AM
    Why not avoid using location dependent apps and use it with DTEK helping you block permissions? Or is it a case where the complete and utter surrender that Google expects from every user means that even with the marshmallow that's coming to many users you CAN'T keep Google themselves from keeping your location, browsing, app usage etc to yourself at all? Which does DTEK do, let us block access or just tells you that various apps are "phoning home" but leaving no ability to affect it?

Under MM, I gather that Dtek will not only show what Permissions an app has but allow you to alter some of them. BUT whether the app will work after you change one or more Permissions will probably depend on how the Developer coded the app. The app may DEMAND X or Y access and if denied, just not function. I also don't know anything about Android app development and what Google demands of developers/apps that are available in the Playstore. Are apps REQUIRED to provide certain info to Google or is that, again, coding dependent. How much tinfoil do we need to buy? Would a BANK for instance, share stuff with Google just to have their app in the playstore or would they require levels of privacy (other than what they want to know about us besides our bankroll and buying habits). I know that when I travel to Europe, my bank and credit card company want to know that in advance (which reminds me....)

I gather there are Google settings (web interface???) that can stop them from tracking your location and keep it that way. When I've checked, even though I have used google maps on occasion, it has no history of my location. Now whether that is a true record or something for my consumption, I don't know.
    05-06-16 09:36 AM
    I turned most permissions off when I first received Marshmallow, so far all of the apps continue to work as expected, even though some of them warned me that they might not.
    I can't ask trip advisor to find restaurants near me, cuz I turned that permission off, thats to be expected. But I can ask it to find restaurants near a location that I choose to input.
    Etc, Etc

And I can turn permissions on and off, it's not a one shot deal, if I decide to use Google Maps, I turn it's location on, when I get there, I turn it back off.So Google knows about that trip, but has no clue about the rest of the day.

Same applies to contacts, except more app's actually need contacts to function, at least in my case.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-06-16 10:17 AM
    First of all, with no google play services means she doesn't have to use a google account, but then there is no play store access.

Secondly, of the company she's with is that concerned, they would be providing devices with BES or Android for Work or something.

Her company apparently doesn't care about information, otherwise they would be on the hook, and not her.

If this is a personal device for a home or small business, and it's that big of a concern, then you will have to set up one of those solutions yourself.

All Android devices would be the same in this case. Blackberry would only be better by virtue of the fact that they don't back up your contacts to google, and ios does the same.

Realistically speaking, your contacts should not even be available on a mobile device. They should be on enterprise grade desktop software only.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    John, it isn't a matter of the company being concerned. Simply the fact that (ignoring HIPAA) none of the people in her contacts gave her permission to share their names, cell or home numbers, birthday etc and nobody she has in her calendar did either makes HER want to avoid giving the information to Google or other companies.

As for Google play, since BlackBerry made it so that is the only way to get any updates she is kind of stuck with the need for it if she wants to get the monthly security patches. And of course the play store is the only source for the apps themselves.
    06-09-16 02:38 PM
    I set all my contacts as local. On device only. None are associated with an email address or with Google or Facebook or any other social sites. Of course, I actually use my phone as a phone, so I don't need all that other stuff.
    bluesqueen23 and Wezard like this.
    06-09-16 05:09 PM
    Mister, you'll be surprised by how many of the users on this site also actually use their device as a phone, but it's a phone capable of sending email, or texts as well! Unlike a lot of the users, we don't need to "connect" with 6 kinds of social media but some of her contacts are people she needs to email either personal or work related data back and forth periodically. So sync with local only works to a point but then you need to be able to make a secure connection to a server to upload and DL
    In any case we're still looking for a better option but haven't found one yet. I wish you luck, let us all know how it turns out!

06-13-16 09:21 AM
    It's not hard to do with the Priv.

I am assuming her work has an Exchange server, which will provide contacts, calendar and email services.

Set that up through the hub. The Hub, and BlackBerry apps for calendars and contacts, keeps them separate. When you go to add a new one it will ask you where to store it -- store it on the Exchange account.

This is one of the reasons I like the Priv -- it respects my Exchange server and does not cross-pollinate to Google.
    06-13-16 08:49 PM
    How about for stand alone users? They have no exchange for her to connect to, she will be keeping her own contact list on her own laptop just as she has for the last five years that she's done with her Z10. She just won't be able to use the BlackBerry link software to safely keep her calendar and contacts up to date as she's been able to prior to now. So she's never had employer support in the 1st place. The difference is that she didn't have to fight against the device itself in order to keep private things private. Now every minor decision has to be carefully examined to see if it'll lead to giving away access without meaning to do so!

So we're looking for ideas for keeping things locked down when there isn't an exchange to connect with. She would like to keep Google from learning the phone numbers of people she talks or texts with, or from tracking the emails she sends or received from a provider other than Gmail. Other than updates for BlackBerry OS and the occasional free app she won't be using the play store for anything so will not give them a credit card or a valid address. She has never used Google maps or any other of their services not to be a tinfoil hat Luddite but just not interested. So we just want to know how to lock out all the snooping so she can just go on with her life?

Thanks!

06-14-16 01:34 AM
    You can save contacts and such (calendars) locally if you wish. And, you can disable (but not actually uninstall, as they're loaded in the OS-protected areas) the Google apps if you wish as well.

However, there's no backup for those. I'm rather surprised that her employer doesn't have an Exchange system set up for this purpose, since it can be provided encrypted (thereby satisfying HIPPA requirements) and also allows for a remote wipe to be issued should the device be lost or stolen (again, important for HIPPA and related compliance.)

If you use the Hub for your email (rather than the Gmail app, which is also on the phone) then Google doesn't get a copy of your email to look at, since their app never "sees" it. As for text messages you can use a third-party SMS app, but I don't believe the stock messages app sends data to Google, other than to their contact database IF you have a contact's number on your Gmail-linked account (I don't.) I've yet to catch it doing that and consider the third-party SMS apps to be higher risk, since the small firms that produce those are more-likely to play games of that sort.

Disable the Google Apps you never intend to use (e.g. gmail), store your contacts locally, and use the Hub for your email account(s). On "M" (marshmallow) go through the permissions for all third-party apps you load and remove permission access to contacts and calendars, if any are on, so they cannot snoop either.
    06-14-16 08:49 AM
    John, it isn't a matter of the company being concerned. Simply the fact that (ignoring HIPAA) none of the people in her contacts gave her permission to share their names, cell or home numbers, birthday etc and nobody she has in her calendar did either makes HER want to avoid giving the information to Google or other companies.

As for Google play, since BlackBerry made it so that is the only way to get any updates she is kind of stuck with the need for it if she wants to get the monthly security patches. And of course the play store is the only source for the apps themselves.
    What about all of her contacts and other folks that have her as a contact ? If her contacts want to be anonymous then they should not share their email address or phone number. This is just the way of the world. It is the contacts responsibility to protect their own privacy.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 10:04 AM
    I use everything local, but I'm not gonna lie, I am always fighting w the device trying to push everything into the cloud. You have to remain vigilant. The biggest offender is calendar, I keep having to manually default my calendar back to local. Contacts can be local but if u use any social media, the device will want to sync them up. I had this off and one day on my pc I saw all my contacts had been sucked into a social media site. Never saw it coming. Had to manually delete. Android is like invasion of the body snatchers. HIPAA is a good point, I keep saying nothing is guaranteed secure if it's up in the cloud. Make sure your wife's password isn't "password."
    06-14-16 10:35 AM
    You can save contacts and such (calendars) locally if you wish. And, you can disable (but not actually uninstall, as they're loaded in the OS-protected areas) the Google apps if you wish as well.

However, there's no backup for those. I'm rather surprised that her employer doesn't have an Exchange system set up for this purpose, since it can be provided encrypted (thereby satisfying HIPPA requirements) and also allows for a remote wipe to be issued should the device be lost or stolen (again, important for HIPPA and related compliance.)

If you use the Hub for your email (rather than the Gmail app, which is also on the phone) then Google doesn't get a copy of your email to look at, since their app never "sees" it. As for text messages you can use a third-party SMS app, but I don't believe the stock messages app sends data to Google, other than to their contact database IF you have a contact's number on your Gmail-linked account (I don't.) I've yet to catch it doing that and consider the third-party SMS apps to be higher risk, since the small firms that produce those are more-likely to play games of that sort.

Disable the Google Apps you never intend to use (e.g. gmail), store your contacts locally, and use the Hub for your email account(s). On "M" (marshmallow) go through the permissions for all third-party apps you load and remove permission access to contacts and calendars, if any are on, so they cannot snoop either.
    Thanks for saying much much better than I tried to do. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    06-14-16 04:17 PM
    All of those are good tips. She hates it but I have managed to get her to use a unique alphanumeric password with upper and lower case letters, numbers and at least one special character. She uses the hub and thankfully doesn't associate any of her contacts with any media. She looks at a few friends on Facebook once a week or so but doesn't have any real info on the account and it isn't tied to her email and especially not to her cell. She has no other online presence and no cloud accounts. I agree with the point that her practice should be more concerned with data security but they are pretty much byod and each user is on their own despite the risk for the integrity of the electronic medical records that the new regime mandate forced upon them without sufficient safeguards.
    Just as an aside, many Doctors now spend up to four hours per DAY in satisfying the new paperwork requirements, instead of treating actual people!
    But back to the current subject, I'm grateful for the warning signs of apps trying to remove the permission blocks we set up! I WISH AT&T would get off the stick and release mm. Not only isn't it out for Priv, my kid hasn't even gotten it for the Galaxy yet! Marshmallow won't give nearly the level of control I have on my Q10 but it will be better than nothing! As is, all the DTEK really does is tell you who gets to snoop on you that you can't change unless you want to make the app stop working.

To me that's the biggest strength of a well written app, that it will still run if you take away permission for things it doesn't actually need anyway! Heck, the BlackBerry maps app works just fine even if you don't let it access the GPS! Most of the time all I want it for is to see where something IS on the map. Or how far two places are from each other. It doesn't need to know where I am for either calculation and it works just fine! On the very few times I needed to use it as a GPS I simply enabled it, and other than that I don't have any app with permission to access location other than the very useful GasBuddy app, which doesn't try to work in the background when I turn it off. None of my apps are given access to contact or calendar. She's used her Z10 this way but I don't think that even Marshmallow will let her do this. So what I'm trying to find out is what is the most she can lock it down without having any kind of exchange service to use?

06-14-16 05:10 PM