Guys this is complicated question and it's hard to understand too. So i explain in detail..
    I ordered Blackberry Priv today via online and the package is not opened till now so it's brand new. I'll receive it within 4 to 6 days.
    So my doubt is
    Will my phone receive older security patches and Android Mashmellow updates?
    Seller states the OS is Android lollipop.
    Please clarify my doubt
    05-13-18 07:05 AM
    You should be able to get the upgrade to Marshmallow and Security updates through October 2017. There's another update that came recently but im not sure if that was pushed out to everyone or just certain devices. Technically, PRIV official support ended October 2017. Good Luck.
    Ajith_nkr likes this.
    05-13-18 07:11 AM
    Do i get Mashmellow update after unboxing the phone.?
    The phone gets lollipop inside the box
    05-13-18 08:21 AM
    It will check for updates as part of the setup processes. If not, check for updates yourself in the Settings then About phone.
    05-13-18 08:23 AM
    Before you open the box, make sure you haven’t purchased AT&T branded PRIV. If you’re not AT&T wireless customer, you may want to return the phone. Even if you have AT&T wireless account, you may want to consider returning device. The update and support process was extremely different for that one device.
    Wezard likes this.
    05-13-18 09:26 AM
    Kitne ka mila??
    Definitely u ll get it
    05-13-18 11:33 AM
    Before you open the box, make sure you haven’t purchased AT&T branded PRIV. If you’re not AT&T wireless customer, you may want to return the phone. Even if you have AT&T wireless account, you may want to consider returning device. The update and support process was extremely different for that one device.
    Its not AT&T nor Verizon device
    It's imported and unlocked device
    05-14-18 03:44 AM
    Then you should be fine. Upgrade to Marshmallow and load the latest security update. Do quickly so you’re in the warranty period from the seller as the device is no longer supported or warrantied from BlackBerry.
    05-14-18 07:44 AM
    Still, be very careful. AT&T dumped a lot of unsold Privs into the world and many were sold by various re-sellers everywhere. Some were sold as "unlocked", when it really only included the unlock code with it for the buyer to use after opening.

If it's a true factory unlocked device, then you're fine.

If you see an AT&T logo anywhere when you get it... run.
    PHughes and Ajith_nkr like this.
    05-14-18 11:11 AM
    Still, be very careful. AT&T dumped a lot of unsold Privs into the world and many were sold by various re-sellers everywhere. Some were sold as "unlocked", when it really only included the unlock code with it for the buyer to use after opening.

If it's a true factory unlocked device, then you're fine.

If you see an AT&T logo anywhere when you get it... run.
    What can i do if i received AT&T Priv with unlock code?
    How to unlock the device
    Seller clearly stated that the model is imported
    05-14-18 11:25 PM
    What can i do if i received AT&T Priv with unlock code?
    How to unlock the device
    Seller clearly stated that the model is imported
    Return the device. Carrier unlocked and factory unlocked are not the same thing.
    05-15-18 06:12 AM
    Guys this is complicated question and it's hard to understand too. So i explain in detail..
    I ordered Blackberry Priv today via online and the package is not opened till now so it's brand new. I'll receive it within 4 to 6 days.
    So my doubt is
    Will my phone receive older security patches and Android Mashmellow updates?
    Seller states the OS is Android lollipop.
    Please clarify my doubt
    You will receive Latest Update Marshmallow with the latest security patch including AAW068 (march 2018 kernel).
    AT&T Branded PRIVs always sold in orange colored box. If your PRIV is in the black colored box -it's unlocked device and unlock code does not need for it.
    05-18-18 01:09 PM
    I bought a Priv this January and was able to update to Marshmallow immediately, following the instructions for the workaround for the verification, and now have updated to the AAW068 that has just come out.

No problems at all and the Priv is now a lot faster and running cool after some hours of non-stop use today.
    05-19-18 04:10 PM
    I have an unlocked AT&T from Amazon and after the update was able to delete every bit of their crap off the phone easily. Priv works great, just make sure you are buying a model compatible with your preferred carrier. all sellers on Amazon will quickly tell you what model they are offering if it isn't listed.

I buy all my BlackBerrys on Amazon, always ask the seller for the model, and never have a problem.
    05-19-18 04:16 PM
    AT&T Locked, TMobile, direct from BB Factory Unlocked and many others are all Model STV100-1, so there's more to it than a model #
    05-19-18 08:50 PM
    I have an unlocked AT&T from Amazon and after the update was able to delete every bit of their crap off the phone easily. Priv works great, just make sure you are buying a model compatible with your preferred carrier. all sellers on Amazon will quickly tell you what model they are offering if it isn't listed.

I buy all my BlackBerrys on Amazon, always ask the seller for the model, and never have a problem.
    Who's your carrier?
    05-19-18 09:41 PM
    AT&T Locked, TMobile, direct from BB Factory Unlocked and many others are all Model STV100-1, so there's more to it than a model #
    I'm sorry but this is incorrect. The model is the only difference in determining if a phone will work in one country or another and one carrier or another. Not all models work with all carriers in all countries. My Z30's that work fine in Mexico cannot use the 4G in the UK, so I have phones that I can switch out the SIM in to use a local carrier.

I made this error the first time I bought a phone from Amazon and figured out the problem from someone probably here on CrackBerry. Fortunately I travel internationally enough the phone can be used somewhere else, but now I always check for compatability with my intended geographical usage in mind.

Amazon carries phones from all over the world and just because someone orders it from the US doesn't mean it will work there. Better safe than sorry. It only takes two seconds to look up model compatability for any brand and type of smartphone for any carrier anywhere in the world on the internet.

Of course, if you buy directly from a carrier the phone they give you will be compatible with their bands. I am here referring to those who buy an unlocked phone from Amazon and then arrange for services. I cannot buy a BlackBerry in Mexico, although there has always been a model made that is 100% compatible, though not the same one used in the US. AT&T phones will not work with some carriers, either.

I have customers all over the world that need technical support constantly and this means lots of travelling for us, so long ago learned the importance of making sure we all carry the right model for my destination. Beats buying throw-aways constantly or paying exorbitant roaming charges.

That's all there is to it, except for keeping all the SIM cards clearly marked by country so they aren't mixed up.
    05-19-18 10:39 PM
    Who's your carrier?
    Telcel in Mexico, courtesy of Carlos Slim. Almost a monopoly, and no BlackBerry is available from them. They told me the phones from BlackBerry were too complicated and no one could figure out how to use them, much less support a custom who bought one.

This was after BB10 came out, of course. Now I have to get all my phones from Amazon, carefully.
    05-19-18 10:46 PM
    I'm sorry but this is incorrect. The model is the only difference in determining if a phone will work in one country or another and one carrier or another.
    It's not wrong, there were only 4 models.
    A fully locked Priv with all the bloatware from AT&T was a model STV100-1
    A factory unlocked Priv purchased from BB, (Digital River) in N America was a model STV100-1
    Many carriers sold the STV100-1
    A whole bunch of STV100-1's were sold on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere as "unlocked STV100-1, Priv", they were in fact AT&T units with an carrier unlock code. The unlock code would unlock them from the carrier, but to get an update, they had to have an active AT&T SIM installed.
    Here's a list of the frequencies
    Can i receive Update for  barand new 2015 BB priv in 2018.?-screenshot00018.jpg
    And a pretty complete list of compatible carriers
    Can i receive Update for  barand new 2015 BB priv in 2018.?-screenshot00019.jpg
    The STV100-3 is pretty unversial, as long as you don't need CDMA, or wireless charging.
    The Z-30 had 6 models and was a lot more limited in frequencies per model.

I understand what you were trying to say, I think you missed my point entirely. There were always 3 updates for the Priv Model STV100-1, you had to use the one that matched your carrier.
    So - With the Priv, Model STV100-1, there's more to it than a model number.
    Last edited by Wezard; 05-20-18 at 06:25 AM.
    05-20-18 06:09 AM
    [QUOTE=Wezard;13190152]It's not wrong, there were only 4 models.
    A factory unlocked Priv purchased from BB, (Digital River) in N America was a model STV100-1
    A whole bunch of STV100-1's were sold on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere as "unlocked STV100-1, Priv", they were in fact AT&T units with an carrier unlock code. The unlock code would unlock them from the carrier, but to get an update, they had to have an active AT&T SIM installed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot00018.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	436352

Name:	ScreenShot00019.jpg 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	436353
    The STV100-3 is pretty unversial, as long as you don't need CDMA, or wireless charging.

I understand what you were trying to say, I think you missed my point entirely. There were always 3 updates for the Priv Model STV100-1, you had to use the one that matched your carrier.
    So - With the Priv, Model STV100-1, there's more to it than a model number.[/QUO

Yes, there are four models, I agree, that's fact. The problem with the lists and charts you posted is that they don't give a complete and detailed listing by country of any particular carrier's frequencies. The information you posted is very misleading and too generalised to be of any use to someone who wants to make sure he or she is buying the right model for any given carrier in a particular country. They are by no means consistent across international borders.

My carrier does not want to have anything to do with BlackBerry, so I am not sure how this update came about, but I have had this problem with Telcel not supporting BlackBerry updates for many years. Somehow, they do happen, though, eventually. Maybe it works differently here.

Your lists all have Telcel, true, but Telcel is all over Latin America and doesn't use the same frequencies in all countries; therefore, the model would not necessarily be the same going from country to country.

I was referring to Telcel Mexico as my carrier, but of course that is not my carrier for the phones I use outside of Mexico.

For Telcel MEXICO, the only compatable Priv is the STV100-1, but this model doesn't work on Telcel everywhere. The STV100-3 works in other countries on Telcel, but here in Mexico it won't. By "works" I mean optimum capability, barely limping along with a SIM does not count.

I use Frecuency Check for specific countries and carriers because they give those specifics and only using generalities on something so critical to our work is not worth the risk. An error wastes resources and time. Accuracy is paramount to me and I want specifics; mistakes are costly and the Mexican peso is very weak against the USD, so we do our verifying to the best of our ability before we buy.

I bought a Priv100-1 unlocked AT&T phone on Amazon and it did arrive with all that carrier's junk apps, which surprised me, but I eventually removed them all along with any Google app that I knew to be non-essential, using Cobalt 's guidelines for the BB10's. Some others were impossible to remove.

I honestly did not know there was a difference between unlocked by carrier and factory unlocked until this thread, so this improves the odds of getting the precisely correct phone model and I will add that to my enquiry to a dealer before I buy another phone.

However, right out of the box I inserted my TELCEL SIM from my Z30 into this Priv and successfully updated Lollipop to Marshmallow without a problem, using the workaround. I never have used AT&T as a carrier and obviously see no reason to think an active AT&T card would have been necessary for realising an update to my unlocked Priv, given that it wasn't in my case.

I seem to have very different experiences than some others here on CrackBerry regarding my various phones, but I am meticulous in following instructions and study them carefully before starting them. Moreover, if something goes wrong, my first thought is that I did something incorrectly, not that the phone is not working properly or that some third party is at fault. That type of thinking is futile and not a good problem - solving step, to put it mildly.

I also avoid making sweeping statements on most subjects outside of my fields and in regards to BlackBerry can speak only from my empirical observations and analyses of results; however, I have a great deal of practical experience in this in general as a researcher and would never share doubtful info as facts without clearly noting to all that it was not verified.

My Priv is behaving very well now, I like it very much and I am very sorry that not everyone who bought one has had that experience.
    05-20-18 01:57 PM
    My device came in black box..its STV100-4 and I am from Pakistan..but still haven't received new update AAW068 notification....any particular reason
    Last edited by zfsns; 05-20-18 at 06:44 PM.
    05-20-18 02:38 PM
    [QUOTE=irishcorker;13190312]
    It's not wrong, there were only 4 models.

Name:	ScreenShot00018.jpg 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	436352

Name:	ScreenShot00019.jpg 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	436353

So - With the Priv, Model STV100-1, there's more to it than a model number.[/QUO

Yes, there are four models, I agree, that's fact. The problem with the lists and charts you posted is that they don't give a complete and detailed listing by country of any particular carrier's frequencies. The information you posted is very misleading and too generalised to be of any use to someone who wants to make sure he or she is buying the right model for any given carrier in a particular country. They are by no means consistent across international borders.

My carrier does not want to have anything to do with BlackBerry, so I am not sure how this update came about, but I have had this problem with Telcel not supporting BlackBerry updates for many years. Somehow, they do happen, though, eventually. Maybe it works differently here.

Your lists all have Telcel, true, but Telcel is all over Latin America and doesn't use the same frequencies in all countries; therefore, the model would not necessarily be the same going from country to country.

I was referring to Telcel Mexico as my carrier, but of course that is not my carrier for the phones I use outside of Mexico.

For Telcel MEXICO, the only compatable Priv is the STV100-1, but this model doesn't work on Telcel everywhere. The STV100-3 works in other countries on Telcel, but here in Mexico it won't. By "works" I mean optimum capability, barely limping along with a SIM does not count.

I use Frecuency Check for specific countries and carriers because they give those specifics and only using generalities on something so critical to our work is not worth the risk. An error wastes resources and time. Accuracy is paramount to me and I want specifics; mistakes are costly and the Mexican peso is very weak against the USD, so we do our verifying to the best of our ability before we buy.

I bought a Priv100-1 unlocked AT&T phone on Amazon and it did arrive with all that carrier's junk apps, which surprised me, but I eventually removed them all along with any Google app that I knew to be non-essential, using Cobalt 's guidelines for the BB10's. Some others were impossible to remove.

I honestly did not know there was a difference between unlocked by carrier and factory unlocked until this thread, so this improves the odds of getting the precisely correct phone model and I will add that to my enquiry to a dealer before I buy another phone.

However, right out of the box I inserted my TELCEL SIM from my Z30 into this Priv and successfully updated Lollipop to Marshmallow without a problem, using the workaround. I never have used AT&T as a carrier and obviously see no reason to think an active AT&T card would have been necessary for realising an update to my unlocked Priv, given that it wasn't in my case.

I seem to have very different experiences than some others here on CrackBerry regarding my various phones, but I am meticulous in following instructions and study them carefully before starting them. Moreover, if something goes wrong, my first thought is that I did something incorrectly, not that the phone is not working properly or that some third party is at fault. That type of thinking is futile and not a good problem - solving step, to put it mildly.

I also avoid making sweeping statements on most subjects outside of my fields and in regards to BlackBerry can speak only from my empirical observations and analyses of results; however, I have a great deal of practical experience in this in general as a researcher and would never share doubtful info as facts without clearly noting to all that it was not verified.

My Priv is behaving very well now, I like it very much and I am very sorry that not everyone who bought one has had that experience.
    The software patch that factory unlocked the AT&T version got pushed out by AT&T/BlackBerry around end of 2016. It was only for AT&T models. Is there a possibility that your device had this installed by seller? To best of my knowledge, this software patch is no longer available.
    05-20-18 04:05 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;13190352]
    The software patch that factory unlocked the AT&T version got pushed out by AT&T/BlackBerry around end of 2016. It was only for AT&T models. Is there a possibility that your device had this installed by seller? To best of my knowledge, this software patch is no longer available.
    I have no idea, but I can certainly write the Amazon seller and find out.

I only remember my shock when I booted up the phone the first time and the AT&T logo appeared. This worried me, as I had already inserted the Telcel SIM card, and on all the unlocked BBs I had purchased from Amazon to date, I had never seen a logo on the home screen before. In the ones purchased here, of course, the Telcel logo came up, but I didn't expect it on an unlocked phone.

I am learning a lot from you and others that have posted here addressing my particular experience with my Priv. I will try to contribute back and will write the seller in the morning to see if he can throw some light on this mystery. As soon as I have an answer I will post it.

Thank you for the suggestion!
    05-20-18 05:08 PM
    You will receive Latest Update Marshmallow with the latest security patch including AAW068 (march 2018 kernel).
    AT&T Branded PRIVs always sold in orange colored box. If your PRIV is in the black colored box -it's unlocked device and unlock code does not need for it.
    BlackBerry turn all those dumped At&t Unlocked phones into Factory Unlocked devices. I bought one of the dumped devices and BlackBerry sent out an OTA to make it a Factory unlocked device without all the att bloatware. Still didn't fix the overheating issue though
    05-20-18 10:24 PM

That was the whole point I was trying to make. Specially as applies to the AT&T versions, and the fact that the model # is not all there is to it.

And many carrier unlocked AT&T Priv's still, to this day, require an active AT&T SIM to get an update. A lot of them were switched to update direct from BB, but not all of them. As a rule of thumb, if the Priv was originally purchased at retail from AT&T, it will not update without an active AT&T SIM.
    05-21-18 07:12 AM
26 12