As the title says, I'd like to know if device encryption can be turned off completely. I'd rather like to have a cool and snappy device rather than a "secure" one. Thx in advance.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 02:46 AM
    The BlackBerry Priv is secure and snappy as an encrypted device. Do you want the government reading your smartphone content? Oh and wipe your snotty nose.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-19-15 03:41 AM
    As the title says, I'd like to know if device encryption can be turned off completely. I'd rather like to have a cool and snappy device rather than a "secure" one. Thx in advance.

Posted via CB10
    Buy yourself a Nexus.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 03:56 AM
    Buy yourself a Nexus.

Posted via CB10
    Nexus doesn't have a physical keyboard.
    11-19-15 03:59 AM
    Nexus doesn't have a physical keyboard.
    But it is "cool and snappy" since it doesn't have encryption, according to OP.
    11-19-15 04:02 AM
    Could pleaaaaase anyone be so kind to just answer that simple question? I'll even click the thanks button!

Posted via CB10
    kertong and dave8787 like this.
    11-19-15 05:32 AM
    Could pleaaaaase anyone be so kind to just answer that simple question? I'll even click the thanks button!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry not until the device gets rooted if and when. The encryption is also at the hardware level so I'd say definitely a no.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-19-15 05:35 AM
    That's irritating. I don't mean disabling encryption on hardware level, I mean the encryption that I can manually turn on or off as seen in BB10. I thought I can just turn off the device encryption?

Can device encryption be disabled?-img_20151119_124007.png

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 05:41 AM
    Sorry not until the device gets rooted if and when. The encryption is also at the hardware level so I'd say definitely a no.
    Seems you're right.

BTW, on certain Nexus devices also, 6 & 9 I think, one cannot disable the encryption (unless rooted of course)...

I have seen a tiny bit of overall device lag/ slowdown on encrypted WP8.1, BBOS7.1 and BB10 devices.

 Q5 / Z30
    11-19-15 05:44 AM
    I give security awareness trainings to employees and the first thing I tell em is 'Encrypt your mobile phones'. I find that even the most non techie of employees are very happy to follow the advice when realizing the reasons.

So I find it strange and wierd that someone is requesting for help to disable a 'Must Do' in this present world.
    11-19-15 05:55 AM
    Would someone please have a look at the setting on the Priv? Android Central says it's pretty easy to turn off encryption on a Nexus 6 for exapmle: http://m.androidcentral.com/how-disa...droid-lollipop

Hopefully there's an option like that on the Priv too

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 05:58 AM
    It has almost no cost in either power consumption or speed in modern processors with instruction set support.
    11-19-15 05:58 AM
    It has almost no cost in either power consumption or speed in modern processors with instruction set support.
    I don't think so. I believe heat issues and lags some people are discovering is caused by device encryption. Android Central has an article about that: How does Android Lollipop's encryption affect me? | Android Central

Can device encryption be disabled?-storage-benchmark-encryption.png

So can someone please post a screenshot of the settings menu and tell if the device encryption can be turned off like on regular Android 5? Thanks.
    11-19-15 06:07 AM
    Too lazy to post a screenshot, but you cannot turn it off. Under "Encryption" it just says "Encrypt phone" with status "Encrypted". If I click it, nothing happens. If I long-press it, nothing happens. So you cannot turn it off or see any detailed information (e.g. encryption strength)
    11-19-15 07:06 AM
    It's an Android, you probably need to be encrypted all the time..for privacy and privilege

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 07:10 AM
    Thank you very much for this helpful information!
    11-19-15 07:13 AM
    One more question for better understanding:
    Is there any difference in encryption between setting and not setting a device password? Like having no password set only encrypts certain areas of the device like app data and with password the encryption extends to encrypting everything including user data, whole internal and external storage?
    11-19-15 07:25 AM
    Not that I know of, the device was encrypted already before I configured any password or picture lock. To my knowledge the full phone storage is encrypted in all cases. I've read on here somewhere that the external microSD cannot be encrypted but I'm not sure about that (on my Note 4 it can be, but I haven't tried one in the Priv yet).

Some things, like certain Exchange accounts, do require additional encryption and PIN settings. But I don't think that's what you're referring to
    11-19-15 11:46 AM
    OK thanks. Could you tell me if the app DTEK can be disabled or even uninstalled? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 01:08 PM
    Apps that came with the phone can be disabled in settings > apps.

Google really wants encryption to be enabled for newer versions of Android, so no. You probably can't disable it.

But why would you want to disable DTEK?
    I get a kick finding out how many times Facebook access my location.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-19-15 01:15 PM
    Thanks. Well I use very few apps and Facebook is not one of them. I'm just trying to figure out how to achive best performance and battery like. I think DTEK is great but since its running in the background this might be a serious battery drainer.

Could anyone with heat issues try to disable DTEK and see if it's getting better?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 02:05 AM
    Buy yourself a Nexus.

Posted via CB10
    On which you can't turn off encryption without rooting, btw.
    11-20-15 10:50 PM
    I give security awareness trainings to employees and the first thing I tell em is 'Encrypt your mobile phones'. I find that even the most non techie of employees are very happy to follow the advice when realizing the reasons.

So I find it strange and wierd that someone is requesting for help to disable a 'Must Do' in this present world.
    The problem is that encryption on Android tends to be slow as molasses.
    11-20-15 10:52 PM
    I want to turn off encryption of non essential files like my music (since what I listen to should not have to be all that secure really?!?)

I am having a devil of a time getting my pc and my PRIV to play nice - photos taken with my phone and playlists created on my phone can't be seen by my pc - ok the photo thing is a PITA but I have other ways to back them up but why the hell is my phone encrypting my bloody music?!?!?!
    10-30-16 01:15 PM
    I want to turn off encryption of non essential files like my music (since what I listen to should not have to be all that secure really?!?)

I am having a devil of a time getting my pc and my PRIV to play nice - photos taken with my phone and playlists created on my phone can't be seen by my pc - ok the photo thing is a PITA but I have other ways to back them up but why the hell is my phone encrypting my bloody music?!?!?!
    What problems are you having? I just plugged my Priv (MM) into my computer's usb. I then had to Swipe on the Priv and select a mode other than CHARGING. I chose File Transfer.

I can see the photos I've taken with the Priv on my sd-card. I can also see the Screenshots that I've captured in Internal Memory. Also, I navigated around the Priv while looking at it in Win Explorer and I am now playing a music flac file that is stored on the Priv.

Encryption should not affect any of that.
    10-30-16 02:27 PM