How's the campaign going?
    the_boon likes this.
    06-13-18 10:00 AM
    I would be first in line at the AT&T store to buy a Priv2 to replace the Priv that I have been using since March of 2016. Even though the battery now only lasts about 2 hours on regular use and it suffers from overheating and serious lag issues, I simply don't want to give it up. I now do about half of my work on this phone instead of my laptop or office desktop.

People don't realize that you lose about half of the viewable screen space when using a touch screen keyboard. The slide-out keyboard allows me to type away with fewer errors than on a touch screen, and I still have the full 5.4 inches of space to view documents or emails at the same time. The keyboard's scroll feature also increases my efficiency. In fact, this phone is good enough that I don't ever need to use a tablet, which is saying something considering what I do for a living.

This phone stands out in the crowd, and when people notice it they instantly want to mess with it. The form factor is outstanding with the huge high quality screen and slide-out keyboard. If I spent $650 on a new Key2 I would feel as if it were a step-down with the smaller screen, CPU/chip, immovable keyboard and lack of wireless charging.

Heck, I'm seriously thinking of replacing the battery in this phone or just buying another one on Ebay. I really wish that BlackBerry Mobile would give the slider another chance,
    it perfectly fits with their tradition of creating products for business professionals.
    06-13-18 10:09 AM
    How's the campaign going?
    Water is leaking faster than the coffee can bailer keep up!
    06-13-18 12:25 PM
    Go back farther. I'm thinking Motorola Admiral and XPRT.. there's a ton of obscure old devices.. They weren't quite as square as I remember, maybe 4:3 or 3:2.. I remember a flip Android from a couple years back that had a nearly square screen, but I can't remember who made it.

But my point is that there is no technical reason it couldn't support a square screen.
    Sure, technically, but that isn't the point. You have to convince Google to support a square screen with Android. You cannot simply make a square screen device and expect Android to support it.
    06-13-18 01:33 PM
    I would be first in line at the AT&T store to buy a Priv2 to replace the Priv that I have been using since March of 2016. Even though the battery now only lasts about 2 hours on regular use and it suffers from overheating and serious lag issues, I simply don't want to give it up. I now do about half of my work on this phone instead of my laptop or office desktop.

People don't realize that you lose about half of the viewable screen space when using a touch screen keyboard. The slide-out keyboard allows me to type away with fewer errors than on a touch screen, and I still have the full 5.4 inches of space to view documents or emails at the same time. The keyboard's scroll feature also increases my efficiency. In fact, this phone is good enough that I don't ever need to use a tablet, which is saying something considering what I do for a living.

This phone stands out in the crowd, and when people notice it they instantly want to mess with it. The form factor is outstanding with the huge high quality screen and slide-out keyboard. If I spent $650 on a new Key2 I would feel as if it were a step-down with the smaller screen, CPU/chip, immovable keyboard and lack of wireless charging.

Heck, I'm seriously thinking of replacing the battery in this phone or just buying another one on Ebay. I really wish that BlackBerry Mobile would give the slider another chance,
    it perfectly fits with their tradition of creating products for business professionals.
    The heating up is the cause of the lo stamina.
    And something running that should not, is the reason for it heating up without a cause.
    I have made several posts on the issue, you can start e.g. here
    https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2197
    06-13-18 02:42 PM
    06-13-18 02:52 PM
    I do agree that most of these looks like horrors. And even if it is sacrilege at this forum, this goes for the Passport too. It is wide as a landscape slider, and only got three rows of key. The Priv is a MUCH better design....
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    06-13-18 03:16 PM
    I do agree that most of these looks like horrors. And even if it is sacrilege at this forum, this goes for the Passport too. It is wide as a landscape slider, and only got three rows of key. The Priv is a MUCH better design....
    Yes. The design is perfect really. Also with the back being plastic why they didn't just keep going with the removal battery concept. Now that would of helped there cause for sure.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-13-18 04:28 PM
    Certainly if BlackBerry does not launch the PRIV 2 they will be losing even more. This is the exact phone many of us need and enjoy using. get to it! Come up with the Priv 2 soonest possible.
    Qorax likes this.
    06-13-18 05:37 PM
    If we are going as far as reviving a PKB slider, I want it to run OS10 as well. Just put there a 6.0 runtime.
    06-13-18 06:03 PM
    Certainly if BlackBerry does not launch the PRIV 2 they will be losing even more. This is the exact phone many of us need and enjoy using. get to it! Come up with the Priv 2 soonest possible.
    Well that is assuming that enough would be sold to cover the cost developing and producing it... Sure they could sell a few thousand to us avid fans, but I highly doubt it would be a six digit number. So I guess we simply are too odd and too few in 2018...

I have a really hard time understanding why anyone wanted a Keyone when they could get the Priv. The idea of PKB that is ALWAYS there seems almost absurd, unless you don't use the device for things that could use a full screen - and that is almost everything today, well except voice calls and listening to music.
    06-13-18 06:08 PM
    I would LOVE a Priv2! I have a KEYone and a PRIV. I have been using both. I love the form factor of the PRIV. I would suggest a few changes in the design, the main one being to round the bottom corners slightly for more comfort when holding.
    I think great timing for release of a Priv2 would be when the 5G networks are built out. Then TCL could offer it as a flagship with this included.
    06-13-18 07:45 PM
    Water is leaking faster than the coffee can bailer keep up!
    Were gonna need a bigger boat
    06-14-18 05:29 AM
    Most people today are looking for 18:9 screens. Only a slider phone can have both a physical keyboard + a large panoramic screen.

I use the Priv as my daily driver (I have a brand new LG V30 in the drawer, which is an incredible phone, but... a PKB will always be my priority).

I hope TCL release a Priv2 in the future!
    EskeRahn, Gigolo69, Qorax and 1 others like this.
    06-14-18 06:33 PM
    Most people today are looking for 18:9 screens. Only a slider phone can have both a physical keyboard + a large panoramic screen.

I use the Priv as my daily driver (I have a brand new LG V30 in the drawer, which is an incredible phone, but... a PKB will always be my priority).

I hope TCL release a Priv2 in the future!
    Most people that are typing fiends don't spend much time consuming media in landscape mode.
    06-14-18 11:11 PM
    ...and add a tariff again when realizing it's from China?
    But the PRIV was made in Mexico, so if chances are a priv 2 would be made at the same factory as the original PRIV so it wouldn't have a tariff because of NAFTA
    06-14-18 11:24 PM
    But the PRIV was made in Mexico, so if chances are a priv 2 would be made at the same factory as the original PRIV so it wouldn't have a tariff because of NAFTA
    Why would TCL manufacture anything in Mexico?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-14-18 11:25 PM
    Why would TCL manufacture anything in Mexico?
    Why would blackberry build anything in mexico?
    06-14-18 11:27 PM
    Why would blackberry build anything in mexico?
    Because they contracted manufacturing to Wistron.
    06-14-18 11:28 PM
    Because they contracted manufacturing to Wistron.
    Couldn't TCL technically do the same thing assuming that winstron still has the original molds. In my opinion wouldn't it be cheaper to use the original molds in Mexico than having to rebuild the molds by scratch.
    06-14-18 11:32 PM
    Couldn't TCL technically do the same thing assuming that winstron still has the original molds. In my opinion wouldn't it be cheaper to use the original molds in Mexico than having to rebuild the molds by scratch.
    First, "molds" are never the same. The Priv would have to be completely redesigned anyway, as the first one had a slew of issues. Not to mention that aesthetics have changed in 3 years, materials are different, and components improved - which would require repositioning.

Second, TCL is a manufacturer, and they aren't about to give work to a competitor and lose their cost advantage.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-14-18 11:34 PM
    my regard for BlackBerry has hinged on the pkb slider only for one main reason .
    To be able to answer a call by opening it.
    if one is in a hurry there is no amount of screen swiping that can replace just opening it.It also used to be great when it had the call ending option.
    I would not consider any version of any phone without this phisical facility.
    passport on account of its near tablet configuration has been the only non flip or slider type I have used.
    so until another slider ,flip or some such comes along It would not have my support.
    06-15-18 01:59 AM
    Cheer up, OP. It may not happen, but you're not alone in wishing for this.
    Even AndroidCentral's Jerry Hildenbrand wants one:

The BlackBerry KEY2 is awesome, but I desperately want a Priv 2 slider https://www.androidcentral.com/key2-...iv2-slider-too
    06-15-18 02:49 AM
    my regard for BlackBerry has hinged on the pkb slider only for one main reason .
    To be able to answer a call by opening it.
    if one is in a hurry there is no amount of screen swiping that can replace just opening it.It also used to be great when it had the call ending option.
    I would not consider any version of any phone without this phisical facility.
    passport on account of its near tablet configuration has been the only non flip or slider type I have used.
    so until another slider ,flip or some such comes along It would not have my support.
    I guess they could easily add that as a pure software option. And I agree it is a great feature for a phone (especially clamshell or 8110 banana). BUT with the size of a phablet like the Priv, the distance from speaker to mic when opened is 17½cm and no curving, and that would only be suitable for those with REALLY large heads...
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 06-15-18 at 04:17 AM.
    06-15-18 03:45 AM
    Most people that are typing fiends don't spend much time consuming media in landscape mode.
    IF this claim is correct (and I doubt that it is), is that because the OS/apps are poorly optimised for landscape so people consume in portrait? I assume you are not claiming that "most people that are typing friends don't spend much time consuming media" in 2018, so the claim must be on the orientation. Right? (I,m yet to see a person with their eyes arranged in portrait ... )

My claim is that when people consume media in portrait it is because landscape is poorly implemented AND since a landscape software keyboard takes up the majority of the display. (So this brings us back to the slider orientation...)

But IF your claim should be right and people actually prefer to watch content (mostly optimised for landscape) in portrait THEN the logical conclusion would be that these "most people" should go for a Key½ over a Priv...
    06-15-18 04:17 AM
891 ... 678910 ...