03-21-20 05:54 AM
889 ... 343536
tools
    You know at a wake, it is not that unusual that the talk goes in odd directions with a lot of nostalgia in it...
    Second request for an Irish wake....
    EskeRahn likes this.
    02-10-20 06:19 PM
    Second request for an Irish wake....
    You just want a reason to drink...
    EskeRahn likes this.
    02-11-20 08:52 AM
    This is interesting, given the preceding discussion about putting new components inside a Priv case: https://forum.xda-developers.com/bla...lding-t3930593

This was was a hobbyist project; not something intended for marketing. But it does show both that it's possible, even for just one determined individual - but also that it's not at all easy.

I doubt there are warehouses full of leftover Priv cases, screens, cameras, or keyboards lying around that a theoretical Priv 2 could take advantage of, so in the very unlikely event BlackBerry licenses someone to make a new Priv 2, it'd almost certainly be a newly-designed phone - but since the discussion happened to veer off in that direction, I thought some of you might enjoy reading that.
    TLSTWIN and EskeRahn like this.
    02-11-20 08:58 AM
    This is interesting, given the preceding discussion about putting new components inside a Priv case: https://forum.xda-developers.com/bla...lding-t3930593

This was was a hobbyist project; not something intended for marketing. But it does show both that it's possible, even for just one determined individual - but also that it's not at all easy.

I doubt there are warehouses full of leftover Priv cases, screens, cameras, or keyboards lying around that a theoretical Priv 2 could take advantage of, so in the very unlikely event BlackBerry licenses someone to make a new Priv 2, it'd almost certainly be a newly-designed phone - but since the discussion happened to veer off in that direction, I thought some of you might enjoy reading that.
    That was determination
    EskeRahn likes this.
    02-11-20 12:55 PM

Though obviously an interesting project academically, I fail to see what he really wins over a BT keyboard?
    02-11-20 06:17 PM
    That was determination
    Oh man,

This guy's stuck a Q10 keyboard on a Priv sliding mechanism and then attached his slab on top of the sliding mechanism and then Frankensteined a bunch of wires together.

This guy's got some passion and patience, that's for sure.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    02-12-20 01:49 PM
    02-12-20 01:51 PM
    As a PRIV owner for 2+ years, I'd love to see a newer version, but as of now, it appears no one will ever see any new version of any BB in the future, given TCL's recent announcement. Sad, but true. We BB geeks always felt we "marched to a different drummer" and enjoyed that fact. I have owned nothing BUT BlackBerries for longer than I can remember. The marketplace makes its choices! The concept behind the PRIV was novel and unique. To have the PRIV's screen size AND a physical keyboard was a fabulous idea, and I don't recall seeing such a form factor anywhere else. I've been "on the fence" about buying a Key2, but I think I'll spring for one now...or maybe in a few months, as prices may plummet before August 2020. Thanks to everyone here who has contributed to the enjoyment of using BB devices.
    03-19-20 11:10 AM
    As a PRIV owner for 2+ years, I'd love to see a newer version, but as of now, it appears no one will ever see any new version of any BB in the future, given TCL's recent announcement. Sad, but true. We BB geeks always felt we "marched to a different drummer" and enjoyed that fact. I have owned nothing BUT BlackBerries for longer than I can remember. The marketplace makes its choices! The concept behind the PRIV was novel and unique. To have the PRIV's screen size AND a physical keyboard was a fabulous idea, and I don't recall seeing such a form factor anywhere else. I've been "on the fence" about buying a Key2, but I think I'll spring for one now...or maybe in a few months, as prices may plummet before August 2020. Thanks to everyone here who has contributed to the enjoyment of using BB devices.
    Wasn't it just an updated BlackBerry Torch?

Which back ten years ago I taught both LG and Moto had made a vertical slider about that same time.

Personally I would have considered a PRIV2 over a KEY2....
    EskeRahn and bobbrayner1 like this.
    03-19-20 03:21 PM
    If you're open to landscape sliders, you can check out the F(x) Tec Pro 1
    EskeRahn and bobbrayner1 like this.
    03-19-20 03:57 PM
    Wasn't it just an updated BlackBerry Torch?

Which back ten years ago I taught both LG and Moto had made a vertical slider about that same time.

Personally I would have considered a PRIV2 over a KEY2....
    ME TOO! A "PRIV2" sounds like it would be very appealing! We can dream, can't we?????
    03-20-20 09:55 AM
    If you're open to landscape sliders, you can check out the F(x) Tec Pro 1
    Wow. Cool. I knew nothing about that device. Thanks for alerting me to it!
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-20-20 09:58 AM
    Wow. Cool. I knew nothing about that device. Thanks for alerting me to it!
    Indeed! Unfortunately it is not yet that known, even among keyboard lovers, so help spread the word to anyone interested...

Personally I love it, and for my preferences it is the best of the very few alternatives available today. But it is not the only alternative, even for those preferring the display in portrait, see e.g. this.
    03-21-20 04:06 AM
    The FXTec Pro1 is a good looking device. It may be an option down the line when we all need to replace our KEY2s. I'm going to hold out hope though.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-21-20 05:54 AM
889 ... 343536