Hmm. Will be interesting IF he is right, I wonder if when and what it would be.
    But sounds rather unlikely that they should wake up from their slumber after so many years. Time will tell.
    This is HOT news....so definitely as some form factor similar to PRIV...the large screen and some kind of slide out keyboard,,,and great specs. Can't wait.
    At this point, his saying there is an upcoming device... is divulging a lot.
    I heard a cryptic comment the other day. I didn't dare ask too much but I had to make a couple of calls to BlackBerry Mobile tech support regarding my broken KEYone. I told one of the people I spoke with that "fortunately I have a PRIV" to use while my KEYone is being fixed. Then I told him how much I like the PRIV. Without divulging anything he indicated that if I like the PRIV I would like an upcoming device they are working on. Hmmmm, I thought...
    The chance that a front-line support person knows absolutely anything about what is in the pipeline is extremely unlikely.

Many folks know people much higher up the BBMo food chain, and they don't know a thing.
    Last edited by conite; 03-21-19 at 05:13 PM.
    03-21-19 04:39 PM
    Time will tell! But definitely KEY3 is in the "skunkworks" and very hush hush!
    03-21-19 04:44 PM
    Time will tell! But definitely KEY3 is in the "skunkworks" and very hush hush!
    For the sake of some of the folks here, I'm sure they would be pleased if there was any truth to it. As long as they also release a standard KEYx as well, I wouldn't complain.
    03-21-19 05:14 PM
    For the sake of some of the folks here, I'm sure they would be pleased if there was any truth to it. As long as they also release a standard KEYx as well, I wouldn't complain.
    Basically same talk when we went from KEYONE to KEY2. What's good is that BlackBerry devices are back and going forward more to come!
    Sigewif likes this.
    03-21-19 06:23 PM
    As much as I too would really really like to see a Priv 2 (let's face it, it's the most likely device to happen after the KEY3), we have to remember that the KEY line must first be successful enough for them to break even at least, in order to want to take a risk with the slider form factor.

While a slider has many compromises, I don't see why it couldn't be marginally successful.
    03-21-19 07:43 PM
    "MDBSP" is underway. What is that? "My Dream BlackBerry Savings Plan" and that would be for a Priv2. As for a KEYx whatever, yes, I would like one of those too,....but that PRIV form factor with its spacious screen and the PKB, but with modern flagship specs...I would love that.
    03-21-19 07:51 PM
    The chance that a front-line support person knows absolutely anything about what is in the pipeline is extremely unlikely.

Many folks know people much higher up the BBMo food chain, and they don't know a thing.
    But it was so intriguing that he said anything at all, and I almost didn't write anything here. However, it really brightened up things to hear about a new device because I was and still am a a little distressed about my KEYone getting damaged. I thought about getting a KEY2 when that happened, but I would prefer a bigger improvement in the quality of the camera from my KEYone and am currently waiting to see how it does after it is repaired. I think the KEYone camera is good, now using my PRIV camera, I am recalling how great it is (especially for certain types of photos).
    03-21-19 08:04 PM
    I heard a cryptic comment the other day. I didn't dare ask too much but I had to make a couple of calls to BlackBerry Mobile tech support regarding my broken KEYone. I told one of the people I spoke with that "fortunately I have a PRIV" to use while my KEYone is being fixed. Then I told him how much I like the PRIV. Without divulging anything he indicated that if I like the PRIV I would like an upcoming device they are working on. Hmmmm, I thought...
    Holy macdonallldddsss

Thats HUGE man. I hope you are not toying with our feelings because if this is true, it would be my next phone for SURE.

Geeez. Didnt expected that tbh. In a good way of course.

IMO they should focus in having 2 kind of hardware.... One in the line of the KeyOnes... and other brand slider style like ppriv.

While some people like the incorporated keyboard of the KEY... theres people like me which liketo have slider style keyboard to not lose screen space.

You definitely made my day with that “gossip"
    03-21-19 08:13 PM
    While a slider has many compromises, I don't see why it couldn't be marginally successful.
    A slider is the no compromises solution. With a slider you can have a good screen to body ratio while keeping the PKB. The candybars are a massive compromise.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-21-19 09:13 PM
    A slider is the no compromises solution. With a slider you can have a good screen to body ratio while keeping the PKB. The candybars are a massive compromise.
    It's all in the eye of the beholder.

The Priv is 25% heavier than the essentially identical LG G4 (when used as a slab).

The Priv, according to the laws of physics, is also much more top-heavy than the KEY² when typing.

So, a slider compromises on a slab experience when using it as a slab, and compromises on a keyboard experience when using the keyboard.

But that has to be balanced against being able to do both.
    03-21-19 09:35 PM

The Priv is 25% heavier than the essentially identical LG G4 (when used as a slab).

The Priv, according to the laws of physics, is also much more top-heavy than the KEY² when typing.

So, a slider compromises on a slab experience when using it as a slab, and compromises on a keyboard experience when using the keyboard.

Exactly, the slider can't (almost can't) be IP rated, while almost all slabs these days are IP67/IP68.

It also will most likely have a cramped keyboard, I don't see a way around that.
    03-21-19 11:02 PM
    I am using my PRIV right now and personally like the way it feels and balances in my hands. I type on it 2 handed. I also really like how it feels when I am on a call.
    You are right, of course, that it is heavier than other phones that are the same size without the keyboard. I wonder if there are some ways to make it a tad lighter.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-21-19 11:05 PM
    Holy macdonallldddsss

Thats HUGE man. I hope you are not toying with our feelings because if this is true, it would be my next phone for SURE.

Geeez. Didnt expected that tbh. In a good way of course.

IMO they should focus in having 2 kind of hardware.... One in the line of the KeyOnes... and other brand slider style like ppriv.

While some people like the incorporated keyboard of the KEY... theres people like me which liketo have slider style keyboard to not lose screen space.

You definitely made my day with that “gossip"
    Well it would also be toying with my feelings...
    I have to look at it this way: Even if it is being considered, it might still not actually come to fruition. I need to remember that so I am not greatly disappointed if nothing comes of it. (But I will be disappointed none the less).
    03-21-19 11:29 PM

We are moving into the region of tautolgy here.
    As ANY device will be a result of compromises. The big question is what type of device that fills the needs and wishes of each individual the best.
    So it all depends on the value put on each aspect what the ideal device for each person is.
    We need VARIATION, and not just these one-size-fits-all oversized phablets.

With billions of users there should be plenty of room for even segments like 0.01%. I mean 100000 users should still be more than enough to sustain a profitable project...

As suggested many times before, I think the best overall design would be a basic thin slab with a interchangeable back, that could be different sizes of batteries, or a sliding keyboard in the right or wrong direction, as per what the users preferred for the needs of the day. (Think of a Moto Z-series device with only a very tiny battery to just last while changing battery packs. Sort of a cross over with old phones with battery packs like the Samsung S300)
    But of course that would leave out those that weighs the size of the display much lower than the always available keyboard, the Key½ design obviously fits their usage better.
    03-22-19 03:49 AM
    With billions of users there should be plenty of room for even segments like 0.01%. I mean 100000 users should still be more than enough to sustain a profitable project...
    That logic is used a lot...

While there are companies doing limited release of devices in 10K, 25K or 50K total sales and are happy. I'm not sure BBMo that has to deal with Global Sales and Support channels would want a product with that few number of units moved.
    03-22-19 07:09 AM
    That logic is used a lot...

While there are companies doing limited release of devices in 10K, 25K or 50K total sales and are happy. I'm not sure BBMo that has to deal with Global Sales and Support channels would want a product with that few number of units moved.
    Ah, I was not talking BBmo/TCL and keyboard devices specifically, but more general, that there should be room for even minor segments.
    I guess that is what F(x)tec is aiming for with the Pro¹ . It is hardly going to sell millions. But hopefully enough to give them a substantial profit big enough to be likely to make a follow-up Pro², Pro³, .... every two-three years.
    03-22-19 07:18 AM
    Ah, I was not talking BBmo/TCL and keyboard devices specifically, but more general, that there should be room for even minor segments.
    I guess that is what F(x)tec is aiming for with the Pro¹ . It is hardly going to sell millions. But hopefully enough to give them a substantial profit big enough to be likely to make a follow-up Pro², Pro³, .... every two-three years.
    Gotcha.... yes I expect F(x)tec and Comso will find a supportable niche.

Heck if BBMo ends, someone might step in with a crowd created PKB or Vertical Slider too...
    03-22-19 08:12 AM
    Gotcha.... yes I expect F(x)tec and Comso will find a supportable niche.

Heck if BBMo ends, someone might step in with a crowd created PKB or Vertical Slider too...
    I still hope for the model with different backs, as these would be static/long lived, and only the base device would 'need' yearly(?) iterative updates as time goes on.
    Apart from the versatility for each user, this should also allow for better prices/profits.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-22-19 08:30 AM
    I still hope for the model with different backs, as these would be static/long lived, and only the base device would 'need' yearly(?) iterative updates as time goes on.
    Apart from the versatility for each user, this should also allow for better prices/profits.
    The idea of some sort of modular device has been played with by Google, Motorola, LG, Essential and RED.

It's a cool idea that would seem like it should work... but the economics of reality get in the way. $80 Power Packs, $200 Projectors, $80 Game Pads, $60 Speakers, $300 Cameras... that's the reality of the cheap Moto Mods, you don't want to even think about the Essential or RED addons (if you can find them).
    03-22-19 10:30 AM
    OMG! It's so amazing! 😍 If BlackBerry (TCL) not listen us with a new PRIV 2, unfortunately bye bye BlackBerry cause I'll buy this Pro1!
    Or have a look at the Planet Cosmo Communicator...

Posted via CB10
    03-22-19 10:31 AM

Is a wee bit heavier really a compromise? I've personally hear people also complaining some phones are too light. I don't know about you, but I never looked at the weight of a phone when deciding to purchase it. As long as the weight is within reason (which it is), it is irrelevant.

It's unanimously agreed that the Priv was not top-heavy. It's a moot point when users and reviewers alike agreed it was a non-issue. It doesn't matter if it's physically "more top-heavy" when it isn't top-heavy.

Exactly, the slider can't (almost can't) be IP rated, while almost all slabs these days are IP67/IP68.
    How's the IP rating for the Key devices working out? I doubt the Key3 or Key4 will have any IP rating either.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-22-19 10:39 AM
    Is a wee bit heavier really a compromise? I've personally hear people also complaining some phones are too light. I don't know about you, but I never looked at the weight of a phone when deciding to purchase it. As long as the weight is within reason (which it is), it is irrelevant.

It's unanimously agreed that the Priv was not top-heavy. It's a moot point when users and reviewers alike agreed it was a non-issue. It doesn't matter if it's physically "more top-heavy" when it isn't top-heavy.
    I type many hours a day on my phone. Weight is absolutely critical.

I have all BlackBerry Android devices including the Priv. I can assure you that, comparatively, the Priv is VERY top heavy with the keyboard extended.

I would hope however that modern technology/design can improve that.
    03-22-19 10:42 AM
    The idea of some sort of modular device has been played with by Google, Motorola, LG, Essential and RED.

It's a cool idea that would seem like it should work... but the economics of reality get in the way. $80 Power Packs, $200 Projectors, $80 Game Pads, $60 Speakers, $300 Cameras... that's the reality of the cheap Moto Mods, you don't want to even think about the Essential or RED addons (if you can find them).
    The difference is that those are full mobiles with add ons. I'm talking about a phone with various back-packs. Just like the ancient Samsung S300 where I had three different battery backs.
    This alone will give a rather large market for standard slabs, for those that sometimes want a slim device for the dinner jacket, and other times a big pack for a weekend hike. AND this would also appeal to us that just don't like being cheated by planned obsolescence by hard to replace batteries....
    And THEN keyboard-nerds (like us in here) could piggy bag on the project and have a keyboard back (landscape/portrait). I Could easily accept if a keyboard slider back costed an additional $200, if I could use it for several iterations of phones. Most likely I would buy both the portrait and the landscape variant, and a couple of slim battery backs (As I prefer to carry spare batteries over a heavy device with a large one) to be used when the keyboard are not likely to be needed.

...The keyboard backs could even connect with NFC or Bluetooth if that would reduce the cost, so only a power connector is needed
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 03-22-19 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add
    03-22-19 10:50 AM
    I type many hours a day on my phone. Weight is absolutely critical.

I have all BlackBerry Android devices including the Priv. I can assure you that, comparatively, the Priv is VERY top heavy with the keyboard extended.

I would hope however that modern technology/design can improve that.
    On the alleged top-heavy, I guess that is a matter of size of hands also, and how you hold it. Opened the balance point is roughly 10:8, that is the bottom half is the heaviest. Horizontally you have to support it below the power-key to have it tip as top heavy, and even further down when used in a normal angle. So as aPple would say "you are holding it wrong".

If TCL/BBMmo are to ever make a Priv2 (and I doubt it will ever happen), I would expect it to be a plastic device, a lot less sturdy than the the real BB's Priv, and as a side effect it would be less heavy, and also even less top heavy as the battery will then be a larger part of the total weight than the current metal frame.
    03-22-19 11:08 AM
    How's the IP rating for the Key devices working out? I doubt the Key3 or Key4 will have any IP rating either.
    If they simply copy and paste the Priv's keyboard design idea (I have a dedicated thread on that) it could easily be IP rated.

However, to do that on a slider would require much more complex sealing.
    03-22-19 11:16 AM
891 ... 2627282930 ...