If you think the Priv is a smooth/snappy device, then it's likely you haven't used any other modern smartphone in a long long time lol
    ....Or see it for what it is, a good smartphone, but not a high end platform suited for e.g. intensive gaming.
    It worked quite well for me too, a matter of usage patterns I guess.
    03-06-19 01:02 PM
    ....Or see it for what it is, a good smartphone, but not a high end platform suited for e.g. intensive gaming.
    Not in 2019. Lollipop/Marshmallow on premium flagship 3-4 years old is pretty aged now. On the PRIV, that’s even tougher since it suffered from, defects of a first time Android model...
    03-06-19 06:27 PM
    Bro, it can BARELY run Google Maps, let alone gaming
    03-06-19 06:32 PM
    Not in 2019. Lollipop/Marshmallow on premium flagship 3-4 years old is pretty aged now. On the PRIV, that’s even tougher since it suffered from, defects of a first time Android model...
    Bro, it can BARELY run Google Maps, let alone gaming
    Hey guys, I'm not saying that it is a fantastic device, that does not need a Priv2 to be up to date four years later. Only that it (or at the least my specimen) is far better than all the whining in here could indicate.
    Never used Google maps on it though, always used Navmii, and the Priv handled that just fine.

But again, a matter of usage patterns, and what people expects of a device, that was not even equipped with the top chip at release. So if people thought it was a flagship due the high price, well it is not he device but the buyer that is to blame for not knowing what they bought.
    03-06-19 06:46 PM
    Hey guys, I'm not saying that it is a fantastic device, that does not need a Priv2 to be up to date four years later. Only that it (or at the least my specimen) is far better than all the whining in here could indicate.
    Never used Google maps on it though, always used Navmii, and the Priv handled that just fine.

But again, a matter of usage patterns, and what people expects of a device, that was not even equipped with the top chip at release. So if people thought it was a flagship due the high price, well it is not he device but the buyer that is to blame for not knowing what they bought.
    It's not really the buyer's fault if a device needs extensive tweaking to even have a chance of making it through a full day with light/moderate usage.

And I'm in fairly good position to whine about this particular device since I've owned five of them, replaced batteries on two of those five, and did every trick in the book to maximize performance and battery life, only to find out that it wouldn't even get close to a KEYone/KEY2 LE
    03-06-19 07:07 PM
    If you think the Priv is a smooth/snappy device, then it's likely you haven't used any other modern smartphone in a long long time lol
    You're saying that to not only down me but down the device. Go elsewhere. I like this phone. Ur bs won't stop or change my mind. At least I'm not like you and others, comparing it to note 9 etc. I just enjoy it for what it is.
    03-06-19 07:19 PM
    You're saying that to not only down me but down the device. Go elsewhere. I like this phone. Ur bs won't stop or change my mind. At least I'm not like you and others, comparing it to note 9 etc. I just enjoy it for what it is.
    Exactly. Enjoy your device. It’s you who’s using it. Other people shouldn’t be telling people what to like or not like. Enjoy the PRIV. It was a leap in a direction BlackBerry needed to go. I think it was a bold step to go with a slider phone. Good for them!
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-07-19 12:29 AM
    It's not really the buyer's fault if a device needs extensive tweaking to even have a chance of making it through a full day with light/moderate usage.

And I'm in fairly good position to whine about this particular device since I've owned five of them, replaced batteries on two of those five, and did every trick in the book to maximize performance and battery life, only to find out that it wouldn't even get close to a KEYone/KEY2 LE
    As I said Usage pattern.... As you are unlikely to have bought five faulty specimens.

What is your personal definition of "Light/moderate usage"? How many hours of screen on is that 8? 6?

On the Priv (as on most devices) while on the screen eats roughly 10% of the battery capacity per hour. (of course depending of the brightness and the battery and screen size on each model and other factors). And add to that whatever the cpu/gpu has to do with active work.

I'm not saying that the Priv can do what you want it to. I'm saying that the issue is that you expect it to do more than it can. Neither the chipset nor the battery were a secret when you bought it, and certainly not for number two to five.... You do know what Einstein is claimed to have said about people doing the same thing repeatedly expecting different results, right?

SURE I too would have loved there to be a Priv+ with higher specs, but well there is not. And if it does not suit your needs, you should have stopped buying it before number five, or changed your usage pattern to what the device can actually manage....
    03-07-19 02:00 AM
    Spot on!
    03-07-19 02:02 AM
    As I said Usage pattern.... As you are unlikely to have bought five faulty specimens.

What is your personal definition of "Light/moderate usage"? How many hours of screen on is that 8? 6?

On the Priv (as on most devices) while on the screen eats roughly 10% of the battery capacity per hour. (of course depending of the brightness and the battery and screen size on each model and other factors). And add to that whatever the cpu/gpu has to do with active work.

I'm not saying that the Priv can do what you want it to. I'm saying that the issue is that you expect it to do more than it can. Neither the chipset nor the battery were a secret when you bought it, and certainly not for number two to five.... You do know what Einstein is claimed to have said about people doing the same thing repeatedly expecting different results, right?

SURE I too would have loved there to be a Priv+ with higher specs, but well there is not. And if it does not suit your needs, you should have stopped buying it before number five, or changed your usage pattern to what the device can actually manage....
    Of course I'm aware that usage pattern matters just as much as the actual processor of the phone.

I wasn't gaming on my Privs, aside from some epsxe emulating which barely stresses the CPU/GPU.

I had disabled all BB apps.

I was always on power saving mode.

The biggest factor for drain was whether I was on Wi-Fi instead of cellular network. It was actually decent when on Wi-Fi and when going easy on the processor, I could hit 4.5 - 5hrs SOT.

However if you're in low coverage areas and the phone is always struggling to keep a signal, you can expect to see "Android OS" wayyyy up there in the battery stats, eating all the juice
    03-07-19 07:54 AM
    Of course I'm aware that usage pattern matters just as much as the actual processor of the phone.

I wasn't gaming on my Privs, aside from some epsxe emulating which barely stresses the CPU/GPU.

I had disabled all BB apps.

I was always on power saving mode.

The biggest factor for drain was whether I was on Wi-Fi instead of cellular network. It was actually decent when on Wi-Fi and when going easy on the processor, I could hit 4.5 - 5hrs SOT.

However if you're in low coverage areas and the phone is always struggling to keep a signal, you can expect to see "Android OS" wayyyy up there in the battery stats, eating all the juice
    Oh indeed poor signal is a killer!! That can explain a lot.
    Especially if it is in between a number of equally poor (or overloaded) masts, so it is hunting for the signal switching all the time.

I live and work with excellent reception (500m from a not ovepopulated mast), so that of course make a HUGE difference.
    And I thus have no idea if the Priv is better or worse than most in handling poor signals.

Whenever I take a trip by car or train for just an hour or two, I have noticed that all my devices have used a lot of extra juice simply handling all the handshaking involved in the switching.
    03-07-19 08:10 AM
    And I thus have no idea if the Priv is better or worse than most in handling poor signals.
    The 808 can only be worse..
    03-07-19 10:34 AM
    still love my Priv! it gets me home from work and still have over 60% battery, but really don't use much at the office.
    03-13-19 09:09 PM
    still love my Priv! it gets me home from work and still have over 60% battery, but really don't use much at the office.
    Is it connected to Wi-Fi at the office?
    03-13-19 09:59 PM
    Is it connected to Wi-Fi at the office?
    (WiFi in itself is not a culprit on the Priv, of course if it is scanning for networks and is only allowed to connect to the home-network, then it would waste power scanning when not at home. This can easily be remedied by manually or by a program turn off WiFi when away from home. There are programs looking at the cell-tower-info that can do that elegantly)
    03-13-19 11:17 PM
    For the last two days I have been using my PRIV full time again. Monday evening my KEYone had a mishap. With its silicone case on it slid off something that was an angle and fell face down on the floor, and the screen came loose. (A known issue with early versions). Devastating as that was, my venerable PRIV has valiantly stepped up to serve me while my KEYone is in urgent care. With its quirks, it is still a wonderful device. It makes me all the more interested in seeing a PRIV2. Check over in the PRIV photo thread. I will post some photos I got. It's camera is really quite good.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 03-15-19 at 10:22 AM.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-13-19 11:27 PM
    I actually only use my secure WiFi when I'm home. not at work.
    03-15-19 07:32 AM
    no news of a priv2?

im not interested in anything which isnt a priv2.

my priv is way too good and the perfect phone for me.
    TLSTWIN, Sigewif and PRIVuser2018 like this.
    03-21-19 09:54 AM
    no news of a priv2?

im not interested in anything which isnt a priv2.

my priv is way too good and the perfect phone for me.
    I heard a cryptic comment the other day. I didn't dare ask too much but I had to make a couple of calls to BlackBerry Mobile tech support regarding my broken KEYone. I told one of the people I spoke with that "fortunately I have a PRIV" to use while my KEYone is being fixed. Then I told him how much I like the PRIV. Without divulging anything he indicated that if I like the PRIV I would like an upcoming device they are working on. Hmmmm, I thought...
    TLSTWIN, EskeRahn and Tim-ANC like this.
    03-21-19 02:31 PM
    I heard a cryptic comment the other day. I didn't dare ask too much but I had to make a couple of calls to BlackBerry Mobile tech support regarding my broken KEYone. I told one of the people I spoke with that "fortunately I have a PRIV" to use while my KEYone is being fixed. Then I told him how much I like the PRIV. Without divulging anything he indicated that if I like the PRIV I would like an upcoming device they are working on. Hmmmm, I thought...
    At this point, his saying there is an upcoming device... is divulging a lot.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-21-19 02:42 PM
    03-21-19 03:12 PM
    This is HOT news....so definitely as some form factor similar to PRIV...the large screen and some kind of slide out keyboard,,,and great specs. Can't wait.
    Sigewif and the_boon like this.
    03-21-19 03:16 PM
    Hmm. Will be interesting IF he is right, I wonder if when and what it would be.
    But sounds rather unlikely that they should wake up from their slumber after so many years. Time will tell.
    03-21-19 04:06 PM
    Hmm. Will be interesting IF he is right, I wonder if when and what it would be.
    But sounds rather unlikely that they should wake up from their slumber after so many years. Time will tell.
    I wasn't sure I should even write anything about it because I don't want to be spreader of rumors that haven't much substance, nor do I want to get anyone in trouble. But it was vague enough. To be honest, I heard a similar rumors several months ago from a completely different source, but nothing since. I know they did state they were taking a bit of a pause before releasing the next phone. Anyway, I thought: Maybe it was a consolation for having my KEYone break just to hear this tidbit. Cheered me up. I had told the guy how I watched for the PRIV and ordered it on release day.
    But I don't want the landscape form factor. I would want a phone like the PRIV form factor. If it is the PRIV style, with high end specs, I will be buying one.
    03-21-19 04:27 PM
    I wasn't sure I should even write anything about it because I don't want to be spreader of rumors that haven't much substance, nor do I want to get anyone in trouble. But it was vague enough. To be honest, I heard a similar rumors several months ago from a completely different source, but nothing since. I know they did state they were taking a bit of a pause before releasing the next phone. Anyway, I thought: Maybe it was a consolation for having my KEYone break just to hear this tidbit. Cheered me up. I had told the guy how I watched for the PRIV and ordered it on release day.
    But I don't want the landscape form factor. I would want a phone like the PRIV form factor. If it is the PRIV style, with high end specs, I will be buying one.
    In my book all kind of variation from these da***d oversized slabs will be welcomed.

We are all slightly different with different wishes and needs, so it annoys me with so little variation in the currently offered. So I welcome both the Key1/2/3/... the Pro¹, any Priv2 as well as any phone sized phones with modern specs.
    Sigewif, the_boon and bb_bunny like this.
    03-21-19 04:35 PM
891 ... 2526272829 ...