It's even worse for the Note 8, as the regular qwerty cases are basically impossible to find (except maybe second-hand) and the only ones that are still available are Korean... with the Latin characters printed small on the corner of each key.

The compromises that come between those Samsung add-ons, the Typo iPhone cases and the Priv, I just don't think are worth the extra bit of screen space.

I'd rather just use a KEY2/LE.
    None of the available options/compromises are really good IMHO, and that includes the key½...

The good thing with the S8- combo is that it is snap on, and since the S8- is so extremely long with its 18½:9 display, and still 13:9 with the keyboard on.
    So IMHO it is the least bad compromise available currently. ...Though it looks horrible, and reminds me of the ancient SE p900 (or even older R380)

....But I hold my fingers crossed for the device code named "Q-phone"... (new readers, see earlier posts)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-26-18 at 10:07 AM.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-26-18 09:54 AM
    An updated PRIV would be awesome. The first PRIV was the best design for a BlackBerry, but it just didn't perform. Still the AMOLED screen combined with PKB slider was great. I really loved it, but it just got way too slow.
    EskeRahn and anon(10218918) like this.
    09-29-18 02:31 AM
    An updated PRIV would be awesome. The first PRIV was the best design for a BlackBerry, but it just didn't perform. Still the AMOLED screen combined with PKB slider was great. I really loved it, but it just got way too slow.
    It is/was great yes.
    On the "got way too slow", too slow for what? Of course at first glance in 2018 we would love it to be be with a 845 chipset. But a top chipset might be problematic with that size of battery - and a larger battery would mean a thicker and heavier device... As written earlier ALL devices are compromises.

(And if you by the "got" means that it got worse over time, you can always do a factory reset, or apply an autoloader, to clean things up completely)
    the_boon likes this.
    09-29-18 03:32 AM
    After getting (yet another) KEYone, I think I'm gonna put my last Priv for sale now, and won't get another one. The AMOLED is nice, but not nearly as nice as can be since I downgraded the resolution to 1920x1080 and use a tempered glass protector (a must for this curved screen) which dims the screen, adds a bunch of glare and fingerprints, and gives a very plasticky unsatisfying feel to the touch compared to the naked screen.

That, plus the obvious tremendous battery gains of the KEY devices is just not making me look back to the Priv.

I decided that I'd take the former's reliability/speed/battery over the latter's form factor and screen.

The extra 0.9" of display just isn't worth the overheating and poor battery life, even with almost all tips applied.

I'd rather have the last device standing than the most beautiful screen on a BB.

I got my eyes set on the KEY2 LE and if it's as nice as I expect it to be, I'll also sell my KEYone (and iPhone SE + Typo combo) and just buy another one or two LE's.

I don't need to stick to these compromising solutions of Priv and iSE + Typo when devices like the KEY2 and LE exists
    09-29-18 03:52 PM
    After getting (yet another) KEYone, I think I'm gonna put my last Priv for sale now, and won't get another one. The AMOLED is nice, but not nearly as nice as can be since I downgraded the resolution to 1920x1080 and use a tempered glass protector (a must for this curved screen) which dims the screen, adds a bunch of glare and fingerprints, and gives a very plasticky unsatisfying feel to the touch compared to the naked screen.

That, plus the obvious tremendous battery gains of the KEY devices is just not making me look back to the Priv.

I decided that I'd take the former's reliability/speed/battery over the latter's form factor and screen.

The extra 0.9" of display just isn't worth the overheating and poor battery life, even with almost all tips applied.

I'd rather have the last device standing than the most beautiful screen on a BB.

I got my eyes set on the KEY2 LE and if it's as nice as I expect it to be, I'll also sell my KEYone (and iPhone SE + Typo combo) and just buy another one or two LE's.

I don't need to stick to these compromising solutions of Priv and iSE + Typo when devices like the KEY2 and LE exists
    Interesting. Why sell it though? Should keep one for nostalgia.....
    09-29-18 06:03 PM
    Interesting. Why sell it though? Should keep one for nostalgia.....
    I know but I'd rather put the money towards an LE (or another KEY2) to help support the brand.

Right now the Priv and the iPhone + Typo is the only way to enjoy a 16:9 display AND have a full keyboard on a smartphone. I have both, and honestly, a KEYone/KEY2 and I'm sure LE is a much more enjoyable overall experience.
    The integrated keyboard experience is so much more fun that an extra inch of glass, by MILES.
    I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather just own one of each of BBMo's KEY devices than the above device combos.
    09-29-18 06:14 PM
    I know but I'd rather put the money towards an LE (or another KEY2) to help support the brand.

Right now the Priv and the iPhone + Typo is the only way to enjoy a 16:9 display AND have a full keyboard on a smartphone. I have both, and honestly, a KEYone/KEY2 and I'm sure LE is a much more enjoyable overall experience.
    The integrated keyboard experience is so much more fun that an extra inch of glass, by MILES.
    I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather just own one of each of BBMo's KEY devices than the above device combos.
    Strictly the "...AND have a full..." should have been something like "...WHILE having a full portrait...", as you can get slider landscape keyboard cases for the same Iphones - not hiding the fingerprint reader.

And the snap on Keyboards for the Galaxy S?/Note? also offers both, though not simultaneously. And are(/were?) offered until last years S8-/S8+/Note8.

On the other hand the latest Iphone we can get a (third party) keyboard case for is the 2015 6s, that is as old as the Priv! So the Typo solutions is clearly inferior to the Priv. ADD: It might work for the Iphone 7 and 8 too, haven't found anything on that.

And you will need to open the Typo case to use the fingerprint reader(!)... So though different, hardly a better compromise than Samsungs where you need to open to use the full 18½:9 5.8" display, but will have to let do with 13:9 4.4" while typing.

But for those that do not care to be limited to 13½:9 (=3:2) 4.5", then SURE the Key2 is a better solution, than all the above. (And of course you can still see 16:9 in 'letter-box' on it)

...I for one would still rather have a Priv 2 than all the above (including the key½)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-30-18 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Factual error
    the_boon likes this.
    09-30-18 04:34 AM
    Strictly the "...AND have a full..." should have been something like "...WHILE having a full portrait...", as you can get slider landscape keyboard cases for the same Iphones - not hiding the fingerprint reader.

And the snap on Keyboards for the Galaxy S?/Note? also offers both, though not simultaneously. And are(/were?) offered until last years S8-/S8+/Note8.

On the other hand the latest Iphone we can get a (third party) keyboard case for is the 2015 6s, that is as old as the Priv! So the Typo solutions is clearly inferior to the Priv. ADD: It might work for the Iphone 7 and 8 too, haven't found anything on that.

And you will need to open the Typo case to use the fingerprint reader(!)... So though different, hardly a better compromise than Samsungs where you need to open to use the full 18½:9 5.8" display, but will have to let do with 13:9 4.4" while typing.

But for those that do not care to be limited to 13½:9 (=3:2) 4.5", then SURE the Key2 is a better solution, than all the above. (And of course you can still see 16:9 in 'letter-box' on it)

...I for one would still rather have a Priv 2 than all the above (including the key½)
    You do bring up some good points and lay out the details well, I just hate the S6/S7/S8/+/N8 keyboard cases so much just because the esthetic is THAT bad.

I'm also aware of the iPhone 6/6S Typo case and do would like to get my hands on one but as of now, only one website still sells them

https://istoreworld.com/products/key...or-iphone-6-6s

As for now they seem to only have 268 quantity left in Stock (and obviously once that sells out there won't be any more)

I'm also positive that while the above case may not fit an iPhone 7/8 without modifications due to the different camera placement compared to the 6/6S, you can just grab some type of knife and carve out some plastic around the camera area as needed until the 7/8 fit well, should be totally doable.

And on my Typo gen 1 for iPhone SE, while it does cover up the fp reader, I can just hit any key which will wake up the screen, then hit a key a second time and the dialpad for the PIN will appear, then I can either use the screen or holt the alt key and use the physical keyboard to enter it, which is pretty cool.

Either way, I really think I'm gonna sell this combo also, as cool as it may be, an LE seems like a better overall option, also in terms of battery life.
    Of course were comparing 2 different OS's here as well...

There's also a downside to the Typo besides needing a Bluetooth connection and needing to be charged separately:

The keys are soooooo loud

It's insane, if one thinks the spacebar on early built KEY2's is loud, he hasn't tried the Typo gen 1. The only difference is that obviously all the keys make the same uniform LOUD a** click.

Definitely not "Sleeping-wife" approved.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-30-18 10:13 AM
    You do bring up some good points and lay out the details well, I just hate the S6/S7/S8/+/N8 keyboard cases so much just because the esthetic is THAT bad.

I'm also aware of the iPhone 6/6S Typo case and do would like to get my hands on one but as of now, only one website still sells them

https://istoreworld.com/products/key...or-iphone-6-6s

As for now they seem to only have 268 quantity left in Stock (and obviously once that sells out there won't be any more)

I'm also positive that while the above case may not fit an iPhone 7/8 without modifications due to the different camera placement compared to the 6/6S, you can just grab some type of knife and carve out some plastic around the camera area as needed until the 7/8 fit well, should be totally doable.

And on my Typo gen 1 for iPhone SE, while it does cover up the fp reader, I can just hit any key which will wake up the screen, then hit a key a second time and the dialpad for the PIN will appear, then I can either use the screen or holt the alt key and use the physical keyboard to enter it, which is pretty cool.

Either way, I really think I'm gonna sell this combo also, as cool as it may be, an LE seems like a better overall option, also in terms of battery life.
    Of course were comparing 2 different OS's here as well...

There's also a downside to the Typo besides needing a Bluetooth connection and needing to be charged separately:

The keys are soooooo loud

It's insane, if one thinks the spacebar on early built KEY2's is loud, he hasn't tried the Typo gen 1. The only difference is that obviously all the keys make the same uniform LOUD a** click.

Definitely not "Sleeping-wife" approved.
    Well I for one would take quite some inconveniences and ugly looks to NOT have to go back to Ios... *LOL*

And loud clicking is a deal-breaker too. ;(

And yes, you are right the three models should be so close, that only small modifications of the case would be needed, and if done well could then be used on all four 6/6s/7/8 variants
    See the images and more e.g. here

Also note that the ugly keyboards for the Samsungs have left the 'corners' free. This at first looks like a silly waste of space, but actually it is really clever, as I can operate the keyboard on the S8- with one hand in a firm grip, as reaching over with a thumb does NOT press anything at the 'close corner'.

Sure I know that for the earlier models, there are other reasons for only having the three keys in the bottom row, but for the S8 family they could have squeezed it to four rows like the Typo - luckily they did not do that

...And on the ugliness, well after a week I already got used to it - but of course to look less ugly, one should buy the phablet in a boring black, and not say the dashing Burgundy.
    09-30-18 10:44 AM
    Well I for one would take quite some inconveniences and ugly looks to NOT have to go back to Ios... *LOL*

And loud clicking is a deal-breaker too. ;(

And yes, you are right the three models should be so close, that only small modifications of the case would be needed, and if done well could then be used on all four 6/6s/7/8 variants
    See the images and more e.g. here

Also note that the ugly keyboards for the Samsungs have left the 'corners' free. This at first looks like a silly waste of space, but actually it is really clever, as I can operate the keyboard on the S8- with one hand in a firm grip, as reaching over with a thumb does NOT press anything at the 'close corner'.

Sure I know that for the earlier models, there are other reasons for only having the three keys in the bottom row, but for the S8 family they could have squeezed it to four rows like the Typo - luckily they did not do that

...And on the ugliness, well after a week I already got used to it - but of course to look less ugly, one should buy the phablet in a boring black, and not say the dashing Burgundy.
    I think most of the ugliness with the S8 keyboard covers come with the fact that:

-It protrudes a bit too much at the front (this hinders typing also) leaving unnecessary space between the case and the screen (unless that was done on purpose to accommodate a screen protector but I doubt it).

-Why a matte finish on the case itself (not the keys) when the S8 has shiny black bezels all around, it really looks off
    09-30-18 10:50 AM
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-iphone6_7_8_camera_cut-out.png
    09-30-18 11:03 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iphone6_7_8_Camera_Cut Out.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	440424
    Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about, some modification should be needed
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-30-18 11:08 AM
    I think most of the ugliness with the S8 keyboard covers come with the fact that:

-It protrudes a bit too much at the front (this hinders typing also) leaving unnecessary space between the case and the screen (unless that was done on purpose to accommodate a screen protector but I doubt it).

-Why a matte finish on the case itself (not the keys) when the S8 has shiny black bezels all around, it really looks off
    The first, yes, the 3mm is a lot, but would be hard to reduce, without it getting flimsy.
    There are room for a tempered glass protector. But the "Panzer" one I tried does not work well the the S8-, and especially not the lower three keys and the notfication area. (I ordered some others of different types, and some plain film ones, but they have not yet arrived).

The mate finish you do not really notice - or rather you do not notice the glossy finish of the S8. That the case got a mate finish is a good thing as this increases the grip. (just like the Priv)
    The only place you notice the glossy black is at the bezel above the display (here it is natural that it is glossy, next to the display), and around the side-keys.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-30-18 11:17 AM
    10-04-18 09:33 PM
    Any word of Uni being the new priv 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...-keyboard/amp/
    I guess you could reduce that question to
    "Any word on Uni being?"
    ;-)
    There seems to have been no words on it since February
    10-05-18 01:11 AM
    But the "Panzer" one I tried does not work well the the S8-, and especially not the lower three keys and the notfication area. (I ordered some others of different types, and some plain film ones, but they have not yet arrived)
    arrived and works MUCH better.
    10-05-18 01:16 AM
    I finally sold my 5th Priv today, and it will be the last.
    I really wasn't a fan of the "Android OS" battery drain in basically any condition other than when connected to a WiFi the network. That drain is supposed to be around a third of the screen drain in the stats, but I found it to often catch up to the latter which really annoyed me. I was getting 4.5 - 5h max of SOT and that's with most of my optimization tricks.

As much as the form factor is iconic and somewhat timeless, I prefer to put the $ towards a brand new KEY2 LE to support the brand moving forward (and also cause I'm a fan of the polycarbonate build, matte keyboard and 156g weight).

Priv - 192g
    KEYone - 180g
    KEY2 - 168g
    LE - 156g

I see a pattern here lol
    10-05-18 04:35 AM
    I’d buy one even at £1 K !!!!
    JTDugas likes this.
    10-05-18 01:42 PM
    I am kept mine because the failed USB even after repair done twice made it not a worthy item to sell. Now that my KEYᵒⁿᵉ has duct tape holding the screen and a battery duration down from full day to around 3 hours, I am glad I have kept it around to get me through the day on wifi and Charging via QI stand... I would purchase an upgraded Priv² in a heartbeat...
    10-05-18 01:46 PM
    I'm a little late to the party, here; I had my doubts when the phone was released and along with the $699 price tag, I just couldn't make the jump, but last week both my daily use BLU device and my backup moto g6 decided to take their eternal sleep simultaneously (presumably a set-up by BlackBerry, but I'm not holding any grudges), so I grabbed an used priv off Amazon for under $150 shipped (BB 123, is the seller's name if I recall correctly, and there were at least a few still available) and now I will proudly pledge my $800± for the next BlackBerry slider. Congratulations, BlackBerry, You are the only smartphone manufacturer to give me the confidence to buy new since Apple betrayed my trust by selling me a $900 jet black 7 plus on launch day, which was at best a beautiful disappointment. Recommending to anyone will in to listen. Furthermore, I would like to let everyone know I went out of my way to find a forum like this, and created an account just to write this.
    gebco, Steelsheen and EskeRahn like this.
    10-06-18 08:27 AM
    I'm a little late to the party, here; I had my doubts when the phone was released and along with the $699 price tag, I just couldn't make the jump, but last week both my daily use BLU device and my backup moto g6 decided to take their eternal sleep simultaneously (presumably a set-up by BlackBerry, but I'm not holding any grudges), so I grabbed an used priv off Amazon for under $150 shipped (BB 123, is the seller's name if I recall correctly, and there were at least a few still available) and now I will proudly pledge my $800± for the next BlackBerry slider. Congratulations, BlackBerry, You are the only smartphone manufacturer to give me the confidence to buy new since Apple betrayed my trust by selling me a $900 jet black 7 plus on launch day, which was at best a beautiful disappointment. Recommending to anyone will in to listen. Furthermore, I would like to let everyone know I went out of my way to find a forum like this, and created an account just to write this.
    Welcome to CB.....
    10-06-18 08:58 AM
    I am kept mine because the failed USB even after repair done twice made it not a worthy item to sell. Now that my KEYᵒⁿᵉ has duct tape holding the screen and a battery duration down from full day to around 3 hours, I am glad I have kept it around to get me through the day on wifi and Charging via QI stand... I would purchase an upgraded Priv² in a heartbeat...
    You really need to either buy double sided tape/glue and fix that screen and do a factory reset on that KEYone. Why would you leave it like this ?
    10-06-18 02:59 PM
    You really need to either buy double sided tape/glue and fix that screen and do a factory reset on that KEYone. Why would you leave it like this ?
    I have some 3M 1mm double sided tape. I have had very poor experience sending my Priv to a Texas repair shop claiming experience with that model but, after two tries, unable to restore the USB to function and charge. I am nervous about doing the tape job due to advanced age and progressively poor vision. I depend heavily on the KEYᴼᴺᴱ for all my functions. I am hesitant to send it to BlackBerry for a fix dreading receipt of a troubled used device while mine works great. I am working to save my dozens of home pages of nested links upon which I am dependent. I will gird myself for the tribulation and try to do the tape job without busting the cable. If I ruin the cable, I will live on Priv and get a BlackBerry Mobile fix.

Duct tape looks stylish on the silver KEYᴼᴺᴱ...
    10-06-18 03:13 PM
    And, these days Duct Tape is available in a variety of colours. So you are now able to change the colour of any device at any time you wish. Red one day, green the next, silver the day after. What a radical concept and only for pennies a day!

Q10 Powered
    10-09-18 05:07 AM
    I LOVE the Priv screen size, better chicklets keyboard would be appreciated , still wishing for the control ability of single button cursor like old bold and torch rather than current setup for cursor, and a better charging port that doesn't get wrecked so easily so the micro charger end is waggling and won't consistantly charge the phone . Add a 2 day capacity to keep a viable battery so I don't have to always have a power cell on hand all the time. The phone would be thicker, I get that.
    10-09-18 10:13 AM
891 ... 1617181920 ...