Maybe if it was available for a half-decent phone (i.e. anything but iPhone) it would be worthwhile.

Well, case makers are gonna make cases for the more popular phones.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-02-19 07:47 PM
    Just came across another iPhone 6/6S keyboard case (I thought Typo was the only one), except this one is landscape.

Now what's interesting though, note how the sculpting of the keys is clearly copied from BlackBerry.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F163603991518

I would have preferred that TCL copied that sculpting for their devices since they actually have the right to do it lol.
    I have been using that type for years, se e.g. https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=554

They usually lasted a few months. And then stopped working. Sometimes it was possible to reset them by momentarily short circuiting the battery. (no reset switch, and not easy to un-solder wires). I think I bought about ten of them, and still got a couple unused.

(Note that the ones I used got a less insane usage of the key left of "A". I have had others that works like the one you link to, and it is REALLY a pest with a single stroke access to the square)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 04-03-19 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Clarification
    04-03-19 01:44 AM
    Maybe if it was available for a half-decent phone (i.e. anything but iPhone) it would be worthwhile.
    (Strictly it is not the Iphone 6-, but aPples horrible Ios that is on it that is the problem, the hardware was OK)
    04-03-19 02:00 AM

Well, case makers are gonna make cases for the more popular phones.
    Yes, indeed. But unfortunatly not even all the popular ones. Case makers did not even make similar cases for any of the newer Galaxy S-series devices. (Sure Samsung has their click-on keyboards, but a case is a better solution IMHO)
    04-03-19 02:04 AM
    (Strictly it is not the Iphone 6-, but aPples horrible Ios that is on it that is the problem, the hardware was OK)
    Right, 3GB RAM is *OK* in 2018/19...the PRIV had that in 2015, the XR has it now.
    04-03-19 07:27 AM
    Right, 3GB RAM is *OK* in 2018/19...the PRIV had that in 2015, the XR has it now.
    My XR in 2019 outperforms my PRIV in 2016 in every possible way except PKB feature or slider feature.

The 3GB on my AT&T KEYone was fine too. I needed 64GB storage and it only comes in 4GB version.
    04-03-19 12:44 PM
    mine is just now starting to have heating issues. Also battery is really starting to drain much faster. used to go to work at 7 am and get home around 6 pm or so with over 50% battery, now down to 40% or so by 2 pm! Damn!!!
    It heats because it is a Smartphone not a miracle, if you keep many apps running, install too many apps, then of course you will face heating issues.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-05-19 07:05 AM
    It heats because it is a Smartphone not a miracle, if you keep many apps running, install too many apps, then of course you will face heating issues.
    it heats up because it was (and still is) a terrible processor, and you can't honestly believe that having too many apps installed will cause heating issues.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-11-19 01:28 AM
    it heats up because it was (and still is) a terrible processor, and you can't honestly believe that having too many apps installed will cause heating issues.
    Well there are current devices with latest SOC's that do heat up when having too many apps open.

It is a factor heating issues. Background process do impact.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-11-19 02:58 AM
    Well there are current devices with latest SOC's that do heat up when having too many apps open.

It is a factor heating issues. Background process do impact.
    It's how Android works... it helps to have the latest hardware.

It's not how iOS works... thus iPhones don't need 8GB of RAM.
    04-11-19 11:54 AM
    You misunderstood him, it is a matter of having apps "running", not just "installed".

Anything running on a device generates heat as the chips does their jobs (and the battery generates heat too, when active, though less).
    (and it does not need to be running in the foreground, background jobs also heats)

And indeed the 808 chipset generates quite a lot of heat (though not as bad as its bigger brother the 810)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 04-11-19 at 12:11 PM.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-11-19 11:57 AM
    You misunderstood him, it is a matter of having apps "running", not just "installed".

Anything running on a device generates heat as the chips does their jobs (and the battery generates heat too, when active, though less).
    (and it does not need to be running in the foreground, background jobs also heats)

And indeed the 808 chipset generates quite a lot of heat (though not as bad as its bigger brother the 810)
    See I had a Droid Turbo 3 that had the 810... and I didn't have the issues that PRIV owners were having at that same time. I remember some said that BlackBerry went with the 808 because the 810 had the "issues".
    04-11-19 01:58 PM
    See I had a Droid Turbo 3 that had the 810... and I didn't have the issues that PRIV owners were having at that same time. I remember some said that BlackBerry went with the 808 because the 810 had the "issues".
    Interesting. Perhaps Mororola was aware of the problem on design and used more effective cooling?
    04-11-19 02:01 PM
    Interesting. Perhaps Mororola was aware of the problem on design and used more effective cooling?
    It's possible... the Turbo came out late in the year like the PRIV... both were probably among the last devices to use those chips. So this issue was well known by that point.

Maybe is was better cooling, maybe it was some kinds of throttling?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-11-19 02:15 PM
    I thought the Droid Turbo 2 had an 810, the 3 had the 820, no?
    04-11-19 02:33 PM
    I thought the Droid Turbo 2 had an 810, the 3 had the 820, no?
    It was the Turbo 2... don't think they released the Turbo 3.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-11-19 02:43 PM
    Count me in, I would be interested in a PRIV 2. Love the Form Factor of the PRIV.
    04-21-19 05:19 AM
    Yes to a PRIV 2. Day 3 on my Keyone. Nice battery. Miss the screen on the PRIV though.
    PRIVuser2018 and the_boon like this.
    05-12-19 02:52 PM
    Yes to a PRIV 2. Day 3 on my Keyone. Nice battery. Miss the screen on the PRIV though.
    Pretty much sums up everyone's opinion who switched from Priv to KEYone.

Impressed by KEYone's battery and performance, but misses the Priv's screen.
    PRIVuser2018, EskeRahn and Keynate like this.
    05-12-19 10:10 PM
    Pretty much sums up everyone's opinion who switched from Priv to KEYone.

Impressed by KEYone's battery and performance, but misses the Priv's screen.
    Yep. A slider gives the best of both wolds, and if you like a portrait keyboard, the Priv was a great physical layout. (Personally i prefer landscape though so looking so much forward to the Pro¹)
    nuffznuff likes this.
    05-13-19 01:50 AM
    Yep. A slider gives the best of both wolds, and if you like a portrait keyboard, the Priv was a great physical layout. (Personally i prefer landscape though so looking so much forward to the Pro¹)
    I must admit I was unaware of this coming model. Until you told me, I believed that BlackBerry (TCL) was the only option for the foreseeable future for a phone with a PKB and living OS. Definitely will be interested in seeing how this comes to pass.

Now, I had a really hard time letting go of my Q10 and BB10 (yes, I'm one of them). I liked what was packed into that compact little device that I could NEVER drop, and fit safely in my pocket on a roller coaster lol. Also,easily held it and typed with one hand without even needing to look. The landscape would be a new experience for me. But definitely worth considering in this niche world.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    05-13-19 11:10 AM
    I must admit I was unaware of this coming model. Until you told me, I believed that BlackBerry (TCL) was the only option for the foreseeable future for a phone with a PKB and living OS. Definitely will be interested in seeing how this comes to pass.
    Well luckily the Pro¹ should be just around the corner, the pre-order says they expect start shipping in July.
    Keynate likes this.
    05-13-19 03:15 PM
    Well luckily the Pro¹ should be just around the corner, the pre-order says they expect start shipping in July.
    I have had my hands of an early version for a few days, and I can tell you guys, that it is awesome, for anyone who likes sliders. Made a preview here
    the_boon likes this.
    05-20-19 06:16 PM
    I have had my hands of an early version for a few days, and I can tell you guys, that it is awesome, for anyone who likes sliders. Made a preview here
    Nice!

How's the weight on it after holding and typing on it for a while ?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    05-20-19 07:02 PM
    Nice!

How's the weight on it after holding and typing on it for a while ?
    Good point, just added a bit on that at the bottom. It weighs in really well balanced into the hands. And if you mean literally the weight it is about ½lbs, so the larger display and metal build compared to the Priv, unsurprisingly comes at an increased weight.
    05-21-19 02:49 AM
891 ... 2829303132 ...