im optimistic about the piece of info from yesterday. is almost nothing but it gives me hope for a future slider.

if its a priv but with better specs im so in
    03-22-19 02:05 PM
    they should call it the Priv³ since Priv² sounds old already...
    the_boon likes this.
    03-22-19 02:30 PM
    I type many hours a day on my phone. Weight is absolutely critical.

I have all BlackBerry Android devices including the Priv. I can assure you that, comparatively, the Priv is VERY top heavy with the keyboard extended.

I would hope however that modern technology/design can improve that.
    I do not find the PRIV top heavy at all, and I am typing on it right now. I have used it extensively. I have had it for almost 3.5 years. Maybe it is your technique. I have had no trou le with it even though I had injuries to my hands which included the need for physical therapy not long before I got my PRIV. I actually find it as easy or even easier than my KEYone for typing. The one thing I would change would be the squared bottom corners, but even those are not an issue if you hold it correctly. I also have an OEM flip case on it which adds to the weight. (I don't care for the slider case because the bar between the keys and the screen got in my way. Plus, I prefer the case with magnets).
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-22-19 02:42 PM
    Or a completely new name, maybe.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-22-19 02:45 PM
    yeh, people memed the priv name. they should come with something new
    03-22-19 10:49 PM
    The chance that a front-line support person knows absolutely anything about what is in the pipeline is extremely unlikely.

Many folks know people much higher up the BBMo food chain, and they don't know a thing.
    When I was a line maintenance mechanic, we always had training on the next model airplane before the airline received them
    03-23-19 12:34 PM
    When I was a line maintenance mechanic, we always had training on the next model airplane before the airline received them
    That's a lot different from a carrier or mobile device level 1 support person.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-23-19 12:43 PM
    That's a lot different from a carrier or mobile device level 1 support person.
    Certainly. I really just want to blow on the embers of this rumor
    03-23-19 12:46 PM
    Let's just call it a Key³, because there will be no need to settle with a candybar once they bring out the new slider.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-23-19 02:16 PM
    Let's just call it a Key³, because there will be no need to settle with a candybar once they bring out the new slider.
    Wrong, a candybar with PKB and a slider each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Why not have both?
    Sigewif likes this.
    03-23-19 08:31 PM
    Indeed.
    Strictly we are talking different users segments for physical keyboard.
    • Those that prefer a fixed portrait keyboard (Key½)
    • Those that prefer a portrait slider (Priv)
    • Those that prefer a landscape slider (Pro¹)
    • Those that prefer a fixed lansdscape keyboard (non-existing AFAIK)
    • Those that prefer a clamshell lansdscape keyboard (Cosmo)
    • Those that prefer a clamshell portrait keyboard (not seen for many years)

But of course in lack of the other models most could/would let do with one from the first or second neighbouring segment as still better than just a slab without a keyboard...
    TCL knows that the total sales of multiple form factors is hardly going to be much higher than if they just release one. And as there until now have been zero alternatives for a keyboard phone (The Cosmo being a marginal segment), why should they bother competing with themselves? So they just push the simplest and cheapest option.
    They COULD have had extra sales though, but most likely marginally only. (I for one would most likely have bought a Priv2, but never even considered the Key½ seriously)

With the occurrence of the Pro¹ there will be some (incl. me) that prefer a keyboard slider in the right direction to get larger keys, and if this proves a huge success this just theoretically might improve the chance of TCL thinking in the Priv direction as to what should come after a Key3, as a Priv2 would be a better competitor to a Pro² than a Key4. But if so I guess they would put the Key line on hold as the Key segment is very likely to prefer a Priv2 over a Pro². But those that prefer the Portrait slider could tip for either a landscape slider or a fixed portrait keyboard.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-24-19 05:21 AM
    Indeed.
    Strictly we are talking different users segments for physical keyboard.
    • Those that prefer a fixed portrait keyboard (Key½)
    • Those that prefer a portrait slider (Priv)
    • Those that prefer a landscape slider (Pro¹)
    • Those that prefer a fixed lansdscape keyboard (non-existing AFAIK)
    • Those that prefer a clamshell lansdscape keyboard (Cosmo)
    • Those that prefer a clamshell portrait keyboard (not seen for many years)

But of course in lack of the other models most could/would let do with one from the first or second neighbouring segment as still better than just a slab without a keyboard...
    TCL knows that the total sales of multiple form factors is hardly going to be much higher than if they just release one. And as there until now have been zero alternatives for a keyboard phone (The Cosmo being a marginal segment), why should they bother competing with themselves? So they just push the simplest and cheapest option.
    They COULD have had extra sales though, but most likely marginally only. (I for one would most likely have bought a Priv2, but never even considered the Key½ seriously)

With the occurrence of the Pro¹ there will be some (incl. me) that prefer a keyboard slider in the right direction to get larger keys, and if this proves a huge success this just theoretically might improve the chance of TCL thinking in the Priv direction as to what should come after a Key3, as a Priv2 would be a better competitor to a Pro² than a Key4. But if so I guess they would put the Key line on hold as the Key segment is very likely to prefer a Priv2 over a Pro². But those that prefer the Portrait slider could tip for either a landscape slider or a fixed portrait keyboard.
    A landscape slider would be annoying. I do all my typing on my physical keyboard and almost everything for smart phones is set up for portrait mode except when watching videos, and then you are watching and not typing. I don't want to have to go and turn my phone sideways whenever I want to type on it since I type on it a lot. The beauty of the portrait mode on the PRIV also includes utilizing the virtual keys for symbols etc without covering as much of the screen as you would with landscape.
    03-25-19 12:44 AM
    Certainly. I really just want to blow on the embers of this rumor
    Ah, those sparks from the rumor embers--they are the stuff dreams are made of, aren't they...? Anyhow, it was BlackBerry Mobile support (not carrier support). As to whether there is anything to it, it could be those up the "food chain" are real good at being tight lipped. And who knows what various prototypes they may or may not be working with deep in their bunkers.
    Also, do keep in mind that there are some other characteristics of the PRIV besides it being a slider that aren't featured on the current KEY devices that I would like to see. One is the screen quality and another is the 18 mp camera. I think the KEYone has a very good camera and does some things better than the PRIV. I like how the colors come out compared to my PRIV photos and it seems better in low-light (though I haven't done a comprehensive comparison). But the 18 MP PRIV camera captures some excellent detail. I can't comment on KEY2's camera since I haven't ever used it.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-25-19 01:19 AM
    A landscape slider would be annoying. I do all my typing on my physical keyboard and almost everything for smart phones is set up for portrait mode except when watching videos, and then you are watching and not typing. I don't want to have to go and turn my phone sideways whenever I want to type on it since I type on it a lot. The beauty of the portrait mode on the PRIV also includes utilizing the virtual keys for symbols etc without covering as much of the screen as you would with landscape.
    Your observation that some Android and (Ios) programmers/designers are so lazy that their apps works poorly in landscape, I can confirm. But to my experience it is just a matter of finding better programs.
    But the listed are different user segments. so it does not make sense to claim that one is generally better than the other, but sure some will be better than others for each user. To me the portrait keyboard is annoying, and to you the landscape is. To some sliding out a keyboard is annoying, to others the ability to tuck away the keyboard when not in use is a bliss - to each his/her own.

My point was that a Priv-type would be a better competitor towards a Pro-type for TCL than a Key type. so IF the Pro takes a substantial part of the keyboard market THEN we just MIGHT see TCL switch from Key to Priv - but still one device.

The ONLY reason for portrait UI was one hand operability (except for any that got their eyes arranged vertically...)
    There is a good physical reason why almost all computer screens are in landscape, as this is how we are physically built.
    And as the phablets has grown, it is strictly just a rudiment from the days of phone sized one hand operable device that the UI and many programs are designed for portrait.
    03-25-19 02:43 AM
    Your observation that some Android and (Ios) programmers/designers are so lazy that their apps works poorly in landscape, I can confirm. But to my experience it is just a matter of finding better programs.
    But the listed are different user segments. so it does not make sense to claim that one is generally better than the other, but sure some will be better than others for each user. To me the portrait keyboard is annoying, and to you the landscape is. To some sliding out a keyboard is annoying, to others the ability to tuck away the keyboard when not in use is a bliss - to each his/her own.

My point was that a Priv-type would be a better competitor towards a Pro-type for TCL than a Key type. so IF the Pro takes a substantial part of the keyboard market THEN we just MIGHT see TCL switch from Key to Priv - but still one device.

The ONLY reason for portrait UI was one hand operability (except for any that got their eyes arranged vertically...)
    There is a good physical reason why almost all computer screens are in landscape, as this is how we are physically built.
    And as the phablets has grown, it is strictly just a rudiment from the days of phone sized one hand operable device that the UI and many programs are designed for portrait.
    One thing I didn't mention, and I am not sure of the ramifications, though it is almost certain there will be issues, is the fact that designers don't consider those of us who are left-handed. Since using a portrait model doesn't entail tipping it on its side to type, it is more handedness neutral. As soon as a keyboard is slid out a side keyboard to type and the phone has to be swiveled to type on, the issue comes up: which side does it slide out of and which way do you swivel it? Seems a small thing but I slide my keyboard out on my PRIV many, many times in a day so it matters.
    The design will never favor the 10% to 12% of us who are left handed. I have had right handed people give me a "huh? I never even noticed..." when I point out something that has been designed to favor right handed people making it more awkward for those of those who are left handed to use.
    Just some thoughts on the issue.
    03-25-19 03:02 AM
    One thing I didn't mention, and I am not sure of the ramifications, though it is almost certain there will be issues, is the fact that designers don't consider those of us who are left-handed. Since using a portrait model doesn't entail tipping it on its side to type, it is more handedness neutral. As soon as a keyboard is slid out a side keyboard to type and the phone has to be swiveled to type on, the issue comes up: which side does it slide out of and which way do you swivel it? Seems a small thing but I slide my keyboard out on my PRIV many, many times in a day so it matters.
    The design will never favor the 10% to 12% of us who are left handed. I have had right handed people give me a "huh? I never even noticed..." when I point out something that has been designed to favor right handed people making it more awkward for those of those who are left handed to use.
    Just some thoughts on the issue.
    I have already given the Pro¹-guys a tiny suggestion on this issue.
    From my ancient Xperia Pro I know that it is when holding it in the right hand, that it is hardest to open with one hand.
    (Personally I'm almost ambidextrous, so this makes things a lot easier. I 'always' hold my phone in the left hand, whether for one handed operation or operated by the right hand)

But the remedy is quite simple, as the touch interface of the Pro¹ is symmetrical (soft keys), if autorotation allows it, it is simply a matter of holding it 'speaker-down' when holding it in the right hand, then the screen can easily be pushed away to the left with the thumb. (Holding it this way will of course require a rotation for traditionally voice-calls to the ear, but if you (as I) do a LOT more texting than calls, this could be an acceptable 'price'). As a bonus the fingerprint reader will also be easier to access with right hand only when the speaker is pointing downwards.
    03-25-19 04:39 AM

I think there are two or three of these landscape sliders... none of which (or combined) will be hitting levels that should impact BBMo much.

Of course I think in a perfect world.... BBMo ought to offer a Slider, Curve, Bold and a Passport - along with the KEYdevices. As I think there are many here that are drawn to something full-screen or smaller or wider. It's just that on their own, I'm not sure any of these are viable products for a company that needs 100's of thousands of units moved... and Android isn't very friends to some of those formats.

Now get rid of the costly BlackBerry Secure and BlackBerry Licensing... if TCL had never gone with BlackBerry and had focused on their own Palm brand as they originally intended and maybe offered a Palm PKB option... who knows where they could have gone. CEO George Guo said “Palm built by Palm fans is the intent,” adding that doing so would “[make] it the largest scale crowd-sourced project ever seen in the industry.” But then TCL signed up with BlackBerry for it's enterprise business... and the rest became history.
    03-25-19 08:35 AM
    I think there are two or three of these landscape sliders... none of which (or combined) will be hitting levels that should impact BBMo much.
    Which are the other one(s)? I only know of the Pro¹.
    (I know of some landscape clamhells, but not any other sliders)
    03-25-19 08:41 AM
    Which are the other one(s)? I only know of the Pro¹.
    (I know of some landscape clamhells, but not any other sliders)
    I think he may have been referring to the Cosmo Communicator, which to me seems more like a tiny laptop than a smartphone.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-25-19 09:06 AM
    I think he may have been referring to the Cosmo Communicator, which to me seems more like a tiny laptop than a smartphone.
    Yeah, but that is (in lack of a better term) a landscape clamshell, and indeed it is like a miniature laptop, like the old Nokia comunicator.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 03-25-19 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
    03-25-19 09:13 AM
    I have already given the Pro¹-guys a tiny suggestion on this issue.
    From my ancient Xperia Pro I know that it is when holding it in the right hand, that it is hardest to open with one hand.
    (Personally I'm almost ambidextrous, so this makes things a lot easier. I 'always' hold my phone in the left hand, whether for one handed operation or operated by the right hand)

But the remedy is quite simple, as the touch interface of the Pro¹ is symmetrical (soft keys), if autorotation allows it, it is simply a matter of holding it 'speaker-down' when holding it in the right hand, then the screen can easily be pushed away to the left with the thumb. (Holding it this way will of course require a rotation for traditionally voice-calls to the ear, but if you (as I) do a LOT more texting than calls, this could be an acceptable 'price'). As a bonus the fingerprint reader will also be easier to access with right hand only when the speaker is pointing downwards.
    I am left handed and almost always hold my PRIV in my right hand. This makes it so my left hand is way more functional for everything. I type with both hands.
    Another thing I really like about the PRIV portrait slider, is when I am on a call. Holding my PRIV with the keyboard extended is just, very pleasing. It is something I didn't know was a factor till I got my PRIV. Holding an open landscape phone on a call would be awkward. There is no phone of any shape that comes close to comparing. I think a landscape keyboard phone would become more of a tablet and less of a phone.
    03-25-19 10:24 AM
    Thinking of resetting my PRIV to Factory settings does this clear all apps?
    03-26-19 06:36 PM
    Thinking of resetting my PRIV to Factory settings does this clear all apps?
    Yes. And all user data.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    03-26-19 09:35 PM
    Just came across another iPhone 6/6S keyboard case (I thought Typo was the only one), except this one is landscape.

Now what's interesting though, note how the sculpting of the keys is clearly copied from BlackBerry.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F163603991518

I would have preferred that TCL copied that sculpting for their devices since they actually have the right to do it lol.
    04-02-19 04:50 PM
    Just came across another iPhone 6/6S keyboard case (I thought Typo was the only one), except this one is landscape.

Now what's interesting though, note how the sculpting of the keys is clearly copied from BlackBerry.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F163603991518

I would have preferred that TCL copied that sculpting for their devices since they actually have the right to do it lol.
    Maybe if it was available for a half-decent phone (i.e. anything but iPhone) it would be worthwhile.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-02-19 07:41 PM
891 ... 2728293031 ...