I have tried to gather the bits and pieces of info we got so far on the elusive "Q-Device" or "F(X)", that should be just around the corner Here

Attachment 442324

I will much rather have this than a Priv2. But also much rather have a Priv2 than no new slider at all...
    I'd much rather have any slider and any new PKB than just more glass on glass bezel-less notched/holed slabs
    EskeRahn and PRIVuser2018 like this.
    01-09-19 04:47 PM
    I'd much rather have any slider and any new PKB than just more glass on glass bezel-less notched/holed slabs
    Indeed! But please let it not be just a Key3, 4, 5... with marginally updates to basically the same overall device hardware.
    moonflyer likes this.
    01-09-19 05:28 PM
    Indeed! But please let it not be just a Key3, 4, 5... with marginally updates to basically the same overall device hardware.
    What if it brought a bigger OLED display by extending it to where the capacitive buttons currently are, wouldn't that get us closer to the Priv?
    It would be an awkward screen ratio though.

What else do we really need from the Priv? Unibody keyboard? Maybe IP rating with that?
    Better earpiece ?
    01-09-19 08:47 PM
    What if it brought a bigger OLED display by extending it to where the capacitive buttons currently are, wouldn't that get us closer to the Priv?
    It would be an awkward screen ratio though.

What else do we really need from the Priv? Unibody keyboard? Maybe IP rating with that?
    Better earpiece ?
    Well a Key3 without the wasted button area, and shifting the keys down (perhaps with less top bezels) would be interesting, especially if squeezed a few percent from 71.8mm to perhaps 68½mm.
    Without squeezing that would be a 15:9 display, and with squeezing 16:9
    (and that is without requesting the top bezels reduced)
    See this quick mock-up
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-key3_mockup.png

But as you know I much prefer a slider so the area is only wasted for keys when needed. But I could consider a device like the suggested if no sliders were available.

...the next few months will show if I get a "Q-device" in my hands or not first...
    01-10-19 03:19 AM
    Well a Key3 without the wasted button area, and shifting the keys down (perhaps with less top bezels) would be interesting, especially if squeezed a few percent from 71.8mm to perhaps 68½mm.
    Without squeezing that would be a 15:9 display, and with squeezing 16:9
    (and that is without requesting the top bezels reduced)
    See this quick mock-up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key3_MockUp.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	641.1 KB 
ID:	442345

But as you know I much prefer a slider so the area is only wasted for keys when needed. But I could consider a device like the suggested if no sliders were available.

...the next few months will show if I get a "Q-device" in my hands or not first...
    I don't like those stretched KEY3 renders.
    We have to think of ergonomics, especially with a PKB device.
    You can't just stretch the device out, shrink the keyboard AND think that the balance in the hand will be the same as the current KEY devices.

There is just no way to have a 16:9 on a candybar, it's gonna look like crap, and it's gonna handle like crap.

16:9 with PKB is only doable on a slider.

The best we can do with a candybar is to shrink the top bezel to the maximum possible, and stretch the actual display area to where the capacitive buttons actually are.

Remember, a slider pretty much eliminates the possibility of an IP rating. It would cost too damn much to waterproof such a device.
    01-10-19 07:33 AM
    As someone who has destroyed a phone by sinking it, waterproofing is not a big concern to me. I think it is rare for devices to be damaged by water. I hope potential developers of a slider are not considering this to be a road block.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-10-19 07:48 AM
    As someone who has destroyed a phone by sinking it, waterproofing is not a big concern to me. I think it is rare for devices to be damaged by water. I hope potential developers of a slider are not considering this to be a road block.
    Agreed, those IP ratings are just another fad for brands that can't come up with something new. It's even more useless considering if your IP68 phone does get damaged by water (which it can) then warranty will not cover it.
    EskeRahn and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-10-19 08:00 AM
    I don't like those stretched KEY3 renders.
    We have to think of ergonomics, especially with a PKB device.
    You can't just stretch the device out, shrink the keyboard AND think that the balance in the hand will be the same as the current KEY devices.

There is just no way to have a 16:9 on a candybar, it's gonna look like crap, and it's gonna handle like crap.

16:9 with PKB is only doable on a slider.

The best we can do with a candybar is to shrink the top bezel to the maximum possible, and stretch the actual display area to where the capacitive buttons actually are.

Remember, a slider pretty much eliminates the possibility of an IP rating. It would cost too damn much to waterproof such a device.
    Look again... Only the third one is squeezed, the second is merely with keys shifted down and softkey-area included, that alone gives 15:9
    The squeezed image is not far from S8- with snap-on keyboard in overall device aspect ratio.

The squeeze will not affect the balance, but the shift down will of course
    01-10-19 08:15 AM
    Yeah, IP-rating is in the nice-to-have list, but far from the top of my wish list.

Though I do got a friend that always carries his phone in the shirt pocket and has killed THREE phones by dropping them into a beer glass leaning over a table at parties... So I guess he would rate it as an important feature... *LOL*
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-10-19 08:22 AM
    Look again... Only the third one is squeezed, the second is merely with keys shifted down and softkey-area included, that alone gives 15:9
    The squeezed image is not far from S8- with snap-on keyboard in overall device aspect ratio.

The squeeze will not affect the balance, but the shift down will of course
    The second and third ones look the same to me..
    01-10-19 08:38 AM
    The second and third ones look the same to me..
    It is because it is less than 5% squeeze that is needed to get to 16:9, the display on the second is already longer than 15:9, more like 15¼:9
    01-10-19 08:44 AM
    It is because it is less than 5% squeeze that is needed to get to 16:9, the display on the second is already longer than 15:9, more like 15¼:9
    They either need to make a candybar without capacitive buttons even if it has a funky aspect ratio,

Or,

If they're gonna do a slider, do it with like 18:9 or so but not curvy, and with a tiny bezel for camera, LED light and whatever sensors should go there.
    01-10-19 09:51 AM
    They either need to make a candybar without capacitive buttons even if it has a funky aspect ratio,

Or,

If they're gonna do a slider, do it with like 18:9 or so but not curvy, and with a tiny bezel for camera, LED light and whatever sensors should go there.
    Agree on the first part, but why 18:9 and not 16:9 for a slider ?

PS: And I do not care if it is curved or not.
    01-10-19 09:54 AM
    Agree on the first part, but why 18:9 and not 16:9 for a slider ?

PS: And I do not care if it is curved or not.
    Either or, just that the current modern smartphone trend is more 18:9 or even over 19:9 sometimes, so might as well try to be "relevant" if it doesn't cost much more
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-10-19 11:01 AM
    Either or, just that the current modern smartphone trend is more 18:9 or even over 19:9 sometimes, so might as well try to be "relevant" if it doesn't cost much more
    Oh like that, I see. Well though the elongation makes a lot of sense on narrow devices that can be one hand operated, it is a quite silly trend on larger ones, IMHO (see this)
    01-10-19 02:10 PM
    I don't think 18:9 is a good idea on a slider. Even with the 16:9 PRIV, opening the keyboard turns it into roughly a 21:9. With 18:9, the phone will become too tall when open.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-10-19 04:32 PM
    I don't think 18:9 is a good idea on a slider. Even with the 16:9 PRIV, opening the keyboard turns it into roughly a 21:9. With 18:9, the phone will become too tall when open.
    For ergonomics sake, it would be optimal to have a 4:3 slider with display the size of KEY devices, for awesome one handed usability (it will never happen of course)
    16:9 is the next best thing, assuming there are very little top and bottom bezels.
    EskeRahn and ck2nb like this.
    01-10-19 07:27 PM
    LMAO here. Regardless of screen ratios, everyone of you, I’m looking at each of you, would buy a PRIV2...... you know it’s true.. LOL ;-)
    PRIVuser2018 and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-10-19 08:29 PM
    LMAO here. Regardless of screen ratios, everyone of you, I’m looking at each of you, would buy a PRIV2...... you know it’s true.. LOL ;-)
    Oh indeed as the alternatives are limited/non-existent.

To have a preference does not have to mean that other variants could not be acceptable.

In the (very theoretic) scenario with a Priv 2a, 2b and 2c with different aspect ratios 4:3, 16:9 and 18:9, and otherwise identical, I would go for the 16:9.

Just as I would prefer the Q-device & F(X) over any Priv2 with the keyboard in the wrong direction. And (again in theory) would prefer a say 10% reduced version of it to have it one hand operable as touch device.
    01-11-19 02:28 AM
    We're just sittin by the fire shootin the chit until spring comes ... if ever
    falbo likes this.
    01-11-19 08:04 AM
    Yeah, IP-rating is in the nice-to-have list, but far from the top of my wish list.

Though I do got a friend that always carries his phone in the shirt pocket and has killed THREE phones by dropping them into a beer glass leaning over a table at parties... So I guess he would rate it as an important feature... *LOL*
    Beer proofing. I am interested in that. Does it prevent hangovers?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-11-19 08:11 AM
    We're just sittin by the fire shootin the chit until spring comes ... if ever
    You know where I’m at, you guys make fun of what I call winter....
    01-11-19 08:15 AM
    so, looks like CES brings nothing
    01-12-19 09:46 AM
    We're BlackBerry fans. We crave disappointment
    RLeeSimon and the_boon like this.
    01-12-19 10:12 AM
    Stay tuned for a new color variant of the KEY2... coming to a random market not near you
    01-13-19 02:11 AM
891 ... 2223242526 ...