In short NO. No matter what we do battery ages. And if we are not quite careful faster than the rest of the device. Hence the removable batteries are direly needed to prolong the usage of the devices beyond the first year or two! For the whole mobile phone era I have bought from the 'top shelf', and then passed the old one on to friends or family, that passed theirs on down the chain. Now it does not make sense to pass them on, as changing the battery has a cost comparable to a brand new midranger, that might even outshine the old flagship...
    A local phone shop can replace a built-in battery in a matter of minutes. No sweat at all.
    12-18-18 08:15 AM
    A local phone shop can replace a built-in battery in a matter of minutes. No sweat at all.
    Well IF you live close to one and IF they know the phone model and IF they got the correct spare part AND they know what they are doing THEN you might be lucky that it is a "matter of minutes". But even then it would be a substantial surcharge to just pop in a new battery yourself.

And it STILL requires your to initially buy a device with a battery large enough to cover your worst case scenario usage, and carry that around all the time. With a less bad design, you would buy a lighter device, and just bring one or two extra batteries for the extreme cases.

I remember my old Samsung S300, where I had three different size battery-packs, and could take the one suiting the tasks of the day, and that was usually the slimmest. Now THAT was thought out with the user and not the seller in mind...
    12-18-18 08:35 AM
    Well IF you live close to one and IF they know the phone model and IF they got the correct spare part AND they know what they are doing THEN you might be lucky that it is a "matter of minutes". But even then it would be a substantial surcharge to just pop in a new battery yourself.

And it STILL requires your to initially buy a device with a battery large enough to cover your worst case scenario usage, and carry that around all the time. With a less bad design, you would buy a lighter device, and just bring one or two extra batteries for the extreme cases.

I remember my old Samsung S300, where I had three different size battery-packs, and could take the one suiting the tasks of the day, and that was usually the slimmest. Now THAT was thought out with the user and not the seller in mind...
    There's barely a decent phone around today that can't get you through the day. There are also chargers on every desk, in every car, in airports, in trains, in planes, etc.

You make it sound like rocket science to change a battery. $20 plus the price of the battery at my shop around the corner. They have pretty much all of them.
    Not much trouble to do every 2 years.
    12-18-18 08:38 AM
    There's barely a decent phone around today that can't get you through the day. There are also chargers on every desk, in every car, in airports, in trains, in planes, etc.

You make it sound like rocket science to change a battery. $20 plus the price of the battery at my shop around the corner. They have pretty much all of them.
    I doubt I can even find a shop in the country that knows how to change a BB Priv battery, let alone got the battery in stock. Not all of us live down town a big city you know...

...And I'm yet to find charging plugs in nature...
    12-18-18 08:45 AM

...And I'm yet to find charging plugs in nature...
    Lol. If you need to use your phone for more than 12 hours when you're out in nature, you're doing something wrong.
    12-18-18 08:47 AM
    Lol. If you need to use your phone for more than 12 hours when you're out in nature, you're doing something wrong.
    ...actually the standby usage can be quite substantial in areas with poor coverage.
    12-18-18 09:38 AM
    It won't matter soon--we will have wifi charging.
    12-18-18 09:38 AM
    ...actually the standby usage can be quite substantial in areas with poor coverage.
    The answer is easy, take a portable power source with you into nature. Plug it into your phone when the battery runs down and there you go for more hours of walking through the woods/beach/nature.

Q10 Powered
    12-18-18 10:02 AM
    BlackBerry predicated, and so do its minions, upon obsolescence and brand loyalty... not a plan I would advise for good business resiliency... now ZD net advises changing the "tarnished" (my added term) name to something else... I suggest RIM and a resumption of their creativity of that era...
    12-18-18 04:25 PM

What corner ?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    12-18-18 04:26 PM
    What corner ?
    Down yonder, across from the red barn.
    12-18-18 04:37 PM
    That's what I'm holding out for is a Priv 2 with a better keyboard than the first. Would have bought the Key 1 or 2 already but hopefully that they will listen and come out with a Priv 2 or a Passport version with a slight longer screen to satisfy those who say it won't render good with Android. I just hope my PRIV can make it till then. Battery is showing signs of getting weaker. Any good place to recommend for purchasing a replacement battery or are they all the same on Ebay?
    12-18-18 08:07 PM
    Down yonder, across from the red barn.
    For me it’s over the river and through woods, by grandmother’s
    12-19-18 05:45 AM

my iphone 6s eg just to name one. And while one the road with planes and taxi etc, those chargers are not a given

absolutely love the K1 in that aspect

so Priv2: big battery please
    12-19-18 06:41 AM
    That's what I'm holding out for is a Priv 2 with a better keyboard than the first. Would have bought the Key 1 or 2 already but hopefully that they will listen and come out with a Priv 2 or a Passport version with a slight longer screen to satisfy those who say it won't render good with Android. I just hope my PRIV can make it till then. Battery is showing signs of getting weaker. Any good place to recommend for purchasing a replacement battery or are they all the same on Ebay?
    Search for an OEM one on eBay, it will be white and with the BB logo on the back of it
    12-24-18 08:58 AM
    Search for an OEM one on eBay, it will be white and with the BB logo on the back of it
    The eBay seller will be listed as:

Boon’s PRIV Emporium circa 2016 represented by Dewey, Cheatam and Howe.
    12-24-18 09:50 AM
    ha, ha! the Car Talk lawyers!
    12-25-18 09:53 PM
    12-26-18 01:08 PM
    I was going to get a K2 but ATT never offered it. My K1 is still quite serviceable and I can wait for the next PKB model. Is there a real chance it will be a portrait slider?
    12-26-18 01:56 PM
    wait, I see nothing to entice me off of my KEYᵒⁿᵉ in the key² models...
    12-27-18 06:55 AM
    Just came here to say that a priv2 is all we need.
    12-28-18 03:14 PM
    I have tried to gather the bits and pieces of info we got so far on the elusive "Q-Device" or "F(X)", that should be just around the corner Here

Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-q-device7e.jpg

I will much rather have this than a Priv2. But also much rather have a Priv2 than no new slider at all...
    the_boon likes this.
    01-08-19 12:55 PM
    I have tried to gather the bits and pieces of info we got so far on the elusive "Q-Device" or "F(X)", that should be just around the corner Here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q-Device7e.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	442324

I will much rather have this than a Priv2. But also much rather have a Priv2 than no new slider at all...
    I read your link. Interesting
    EskeRahn likes this.
    01-09-19 07:58 AM
    I read your link. Interesting
    Thanks, will try to keep it updated if I get more info, at the least until we get it announced officially. And I'm 99% certain that I will be on the list of buyers....

Personally I would have preferred it 5-10% more compact.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-09-19 08:04 AM
    Looks pretty cool. I'll have to check this thing out
    01-09-19 09:49 AM
891 ... 2122232425 ...