I LOVE the Priv screen size, better chicklets keyboard would be appreciated , still wishing for the control ability of single button cursor like old bold and torch rather than current setup for cursor, and a better charging port that doesn't get wrecked so easily so the micro charger end is waggling and won't consistantly charge the phone . Add a 2 day capacity to keep a viable battery so I don't have to always have a power cell on hand all the time. The phone would be thicker, I get that.
    Today after reading all the issues with Key2 capacitive keyboard use (Physical Keyboard use randomly activates Pointer/Cursor Mode issue) I wonder why Blackberry doesn't create one key , to ,become the trackpad to eliminate the 'capacitive' keyboard and give us an actual cursor button. Then we would all have what we all want. Simplicity.
    10-09-18 04:22 PM
    Today after reading all the issues with Key2 capacitive keyboard use (Physical Keyboard use randomly activates Pointer/Cursor Mode issue) I wonder why Blackberry doesn't create one key , to ,become the trackpad to eliminate the 'capacitive' keyboard and give us an actual cursor button. Then we would all have what we all want. Simplicity.
    The problem is that things are already crammed in due to the keyboard being in portrait.

I agree that the touch-navigation on the Priv-keyboard is better in theory than in actual use. So real arrow-keys would be great. But that is much more realistic to squeeze in on a landscape slider than a portrait keyboard...

I personally had a LOT more erroneous input due to the gestures, than actually useful interaction... But as this is the ONLY navigation we got I keep it on, otherwise I would have turned off the physical keyboard gestures long ago...
    10-09-18 05:07 PM
    PS
    Also see my very old suggestions&comments to BlackBerry with various ways to use the keys they already got. E.g. the use of the Ctrl key for navigating the 'good'-old way from text-terminals..
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/06/...ent-2840230840
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 10-09-18 at 05:45 PM.
    10-09-18 05:27 PM
    Just got my KEY2 LE yesterday. Not looking back to the Priv.

Even with the ~400mAh head start of the latter, I think I'll get through the day easier with this one.

It's a whopping 36g lighter also, which to me is a pro. It's less prone to damage if dropped. Typing is alot more effortless and the device is obviously more balanced in the hand when using the PKB.
    Signal strength does seem improved from the KEYone due to the all polycarbonate build.

I enjoyed my Privs while I had them, but like I said, I'm just not looking back anymore. This is just a more effective work tool overall.

Next step for BBMo would be OLED display and IP rating... which the latter could work just fine if they look back to the Priv's unibody keyboard design of having 1 single piece of rubber shaped as the keys instead of 35 individual buttons where water can obviously get in between.

All the best to you Priv holdouts, but you owe it to yourself to try one of BBMo's latest device(s).
    10-10-18 03:51 AM
    Still wonder why I should either choose a smaller ****ty display (Key2) or smaller ****ty keyboard (Priv). Both suck. Will probably switch to Key2 anyway, but I really miss my Passport.
    10-10-18 08:29 AM
    I believe some tweaking of Priv PKB could wind up close to Key² ...the upgrades inside with faster, cooler processor, more RAM, QI3, & such could make a very competitive device that would live in the slab space proffered as an "optional" PKB for when the need arises...
    EskeRahn likes this.
    10-10-18 12:48 PM
    I believe some tweaking of Priv PKB could wind up close to Key² ...the upgrades inside with faster, cooler processor, more RAM, QI3, & such could make a very competitive device that would live in the slab space proffered as an "optional" PKB for when the need arises...
    Exactly. It is a general misunderstanding that a slider will be much bulkier than without.

Have a look at the old Xperia Neo with and without the keyboard.
    They are EXACTLY identical spec-wise. Same display, battery, cpu ... Perhaps a slightly different speaker. The other minor discrepancies you see I believe is just inaccuracy in their database...
    And the real keyboard comes at a cost of 16g and ½mm in thickness, and 4mm in length....
    ...And yes the std. Neo has a more appealing design, with the corners 'slanted' where the Keyboard version have a more flat back and front..
    10-11-18 03:47 AM
    Definitely hoping for the PRIV 2, I really loved the PrIV

Posted via CB10
    EskeRahn and Blackberrydz like this.
    10-11-18 11:20 AM
    mine is just now starting to have heating issues. Also battery is really starting to drain much faster. used to go to work at 7 am and get home around 6 pm or so with over 50% battery, now down to 40% or so by 2 pm! Damn!!!
    Blackberrydz likes this.
    10-11-18 09:20 PM
    Advice see if you can figure out what or which app if any is causing the heating.I have an idea that it was the sudden onset of this symptom that caused mine to go into a non stop loop.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-18 02:20 AM
    mine is just now starting to have heating issues. Also battery is really starting to drain much faster. used to go to work at 7 am and get home around 6 pm or so with over 50% battery, now down to 40% or so by 2 pm! Damn!!!
    It is highly unlikely that it is a hardware issue. Heat means it is doing 'something'
    Most likely one or more apps that have started wasting your battery in the background.
    See post earlier.
    Perhaps a 'free' app wasting energy on fetching and showing ads or stealing your data.
    A good guess is recent updates or new apps.
    Try to temporarily install a battery surveillance tool like GSAM, it can do wonders in pinpointing the culprit(s)
    10-12-18 02:23 AM
    I want it too
    10-14-18 06:46 PM
    Is there any interesting alternative out now for the priv? I have already my 2nd Priv after a exchange in warranty. Now I am playing pokemon go and absolutely see, that the priv is out of day with its weak cpu and ram. However the pkb is something i am using like all the time (not only 30% like someone else here said). I am highly addicted to the pkb and the feature that I connected the function, that with pkb out it wont flip the screen. Its really really cool.
    10-21-18 03:09 PM
    Is there any interesting alternative out now for the priv? I have already my 2nd Priv after a exchange in warranty. Now I am playing pokemon go and absolutely see, that the priv is out of day with its weak cpu and ram. However the pkb is something i am using like all the time (not only 30% like someone else here said). I am highly addicted to the pkb and the feature that I connected the function, that with pkb out it wont flip the screen. Its really really cool.
    There should be a new device being announced within the next week or so. But If you ask If you can go and buy an alternative today, the answer is no, the Priv is the only slider currently available.

You can get keyboard sliding cases for some of aPples models. But then you would have to live with Ios.... And I do not know if you can get it for the most recent ones.
    10-21-18 06:03 PM
    The most powerful and battery efficient PKB device you can get right now is the KEY2.

If it's not in your budget, go for a KEY2 LE.

If that's still not possible, get a KEYone (Th Black Edition preferably)

You'll be able to enjoy Pokémon GO much better with these devices than the Priv.

I know cause I own/owned them all.
    10-22-18 08:19 AM
    The most powerful and battery efficient PKB device you can get right now is the KEY2.

If it's not in your budget, go for a KEY2 LE.

If that's still not possible, get a KEYone (Th Black Edition preferably)

You'll be able to enjoy Pokémon GO much better with these devices than the Priv.

I know cause I own/owned them all.
    But it is requires a big hammer and is a one way street to slide the keyboard in

I'm eagerly awaiting what I have heard code named the "Q-device". It should be with a 845 chip, or perhaps even 855, if I understand things correctly.

And if speed is an issue and he wants something right now, the S8 and the snap on keyboard is of course also an option. Though of course not a slider either. But in my humble opinion far better than the Key½ for allmost all use cases except the lack of backlight in the keyboard.
    10-22-18 09:40 AM
    But it is requires a big hammer and is a one way street to slide the keyboard in

I'm eagerly awaiting what I have heard code named the "Q-device". It should be with a 845 chip, or perhaps even 855, if I understand things correctly.

And if speed is an issue and he wants something right now, the S8 and the snap on keyboard is of course also an option. Though of course not a slider either. But in my humble opinion far better than the Key½ for allmost all use cases except the lack of backlight in the keyboard.
    It's not just the lack of backlighting in the keyboard, it's also the lack of capacitive keyboard for scrolling, swiping etc

Or the lack of keyboard shortcuts

Or the fact that the keys protrude forward way more than on the KEY devices which probably makes typing much less comfortable.

Or the small underwhelming keys which don't even have nearly the same sculpting/shape as those on the KEY devices

Or the fact that the case prevents you from putting a proper tempered glass screen protector and the top part doesn't cover up the front glass

Or the fact that if you changed the layout of the navigation keys from Samsung style which is recents/home/back to the stock Android style of back/home/recent, when you use the case it forces you to use the Samsung style and when you remove the case, it doesn't automatically revert to the style you programmed forcing you to manually go back into the settings and change it again!

Not to mention the ugliness of those snap on covers

Should I keep going lol?

Honestly, if you value the keyboard over an 18:9 AMOLED, there's just no contest.

If the keyboard is on the bottom of you priority but you still want it, then I guess the cases are more justifiable.

As for the Q device, sure, I'm excited also (at this point I'm excited about ANYTHING other than standard slabs) but I wouldn't hold my breath lol
    10-22-18 10:04 AM
    It's not just the lack of backlighting in the keyboard, it's also the lack of capacitive keyboard for scrolling, swiping etc

Or the lack of keyboard shortcuts

Or the fact that the keys protrude forward way more than on the KEY devices which probably makes typing much less comfortable.

Or the small underwhelming keys which don't even have nearly the same sculpting/shape as those on the KEY devices

Or the fact that the case prevents you from putting a proper tempered glass screen protector and the top part doesn't cover up the front glass

Or the fact that if you changed the layout of the navigation keys from Samsung style which is recents/home/back to the stock Android style of back/home/recent, when you use the case it forces you to use the Samsung style and when you remove the case, it doesn't automatically revert to the style you programmed forcing you to manually go back into the settings and change it again!

Not to mention the ugliness of those snap on covers

Should I keep going lol?

Honestly, if you value the keyboard over an 18:9 AMOLED, there's just no contest.

If the keyboard is on the bottom of you priority but you still want it, then I guess the cases are more justifiable.

As for the Q device, sure, I'm excited also (at this point I'm excited about ANYTHING other than standard slabs) but I wouldn't hold my breath lol
    ...And you chose to forget the elephant in the room: The always small display on the key½

Some of your points are incorrect/inaccurate though. But I guess you know that.

But I'm certainly not saying that the Snap on is the best currently possible solution (that would be a slider). But a less bad compromise than an always small screen. Except for the few that do not really use the possibilities of smartphone and mainly use it for calls and text without pictures, and hence do not benefit from a larger display. For those the fixed keyboard surely is a better solution. And of course the small group of people with so poor vision that they are using a smartphone with text-to-speech, here the better keyboard is clearly better.

But honestly I do value that they have put a keyboard over a 18:9 amoled (strictly 18.5:9), and thus offers us benefits from both worlds. So yeah, there's just no contest

And the scrolling on the keyboard. Well the Priv could do that too, but I newer used it, much more natural to use the display. The navigation within text with the capacitive 'arrows' worked horrible imho, but sure this is not the hardware but software, so might be better on the Key½ than the Priv.
    (I got much more erroneous input by the 'smart' features, while moving my fingers fast between the keys, than I got intentional interaction, but sure if I had typed slower lifting my fingers 'high' between each key-stroke that would not have been an issue)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 10-22-18 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarification
    10-22-18 10:39 AM

What about that Q-device? I cannot find it with google.
    10-22-18 10:47 AM
    What about that Q-device? I cannot find it with google.
    It should be announced shortly. I only have small bits and scraps of information.
    A bit is mentioned here

- Q-device is much slimmer than any Moto Z + Keyboard Mod combination. It is even thinner than the Keyboard Mod with battery itself.

- Q-device weights much less than any Moto Z + Keyboard Mod combination.

- Q-device has a higher spec than any of the current released Moto Z phones.

- Q-device does not have the problem of opening keyboard to use rear camera.

- Q-device will use much premium material, and will not be plastic.

- Q-device feels much better when typing as the top part being much thinner and lighter than bottom. Keyboard Mod is the other way round.

- Q-device uses much expected scattered layout.

- Q-device can support other keyboard version easily, such as the much anticipated QWERTZ or Scandic version.

- Q-device uses common components and chipsets which is easier for sourcing and production.
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-uvcqelf60sq37tjkmjyn.jpg
    10-22-18 10:57 AM
    I signed the one to save the Palm devices and look what a dumbell device they came up with...
    10-22-18 02:04 PM
    I signed the one to save the Palm devices and look what a dumbell device they came up with...
    You mean this?

10-22-18 02:30 PM
    You mean this?

Yep... for moped who carry phones as big as a dinner plate and need another "phone" so they don't have to haul out that monster... does not dignify use of the brand "palm" which was, in its heyday (yes, literally, one DAY), the greatest...
    10-22-18 02:34 PM
    Yep... for moped who carry phones as big as a dinner plate and need another "phone" so they don't have to haul out that monster... does not dignify use of the brand "palm" which was, in its heyday (yes, literally, one DAY), the greatest...
    As for me personally, as soon as I saw it didn’t have a PKB, I immediately lost interest. If I’m gonna have a compact slab of glass, might as well be an iPhone SE (plus the Typo keyboard cover of course).

I still don’t get the point of that thing. Who’s it for?

They should have just made a stylus slider with PKB phone as the Note series have no competition. No licensing fees to pay to anyone.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    10-22-18 03:22 PM
    As for me personally, as soon as I saw it didn’t have a PKB, I immediately lost interest. If I’m gonna have a compact slab of glass, might as well be an iPhone SE (plus the Typo keyboard cover of course).

I still don’t get the point of that thing. Who’s it for?

They should have just made a stylus slider with PKB phone as the Note series have no competition. No licensing fees to pay to anyone.
    The other day, I fiddled with my assistant's Samsung Note 8 and

the thing I like is the stylus can be used as a mouse/cursor ...pretty neat... seems it's fragile, probably easy to lose...

The thing I hate is the toolbar is backwards...and it weighs a ton !!

For that size give me a Priv²

After all this time gone by, just call it Priv³
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 10-24-18 at 10:45 AM.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    10-22-18 03:31 PM
891 ... 1718192021 ...