the original idea of a docking wallet for want of a better word ,was to get something,
    of the ideas against the priv 2 cost and are folks happier to tap on a slab are main ones. it would not take much for TCL to alter their entire future range to take this add on .Leaving all brands alone but with the option of using the BlackBerry wallet in whatever form fit.so making sales economic
    09-18-18 01:48 AM
    the original idea of a docking wallet for want of a better word ,was to get something,
    of the ideas against the priv 2 cost and are folks happier to tap on a slab are main ones. it would not take much for TCL to alter their entire future range to take this add on .Leaving all brands alone but with the option of using the BlackBerry wallet in whatever form fit.so making sales economic
    The cheapest solution by far is the 100% passive click-on keyboard, capacitively interacting with the display. I disassembled one, see here
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-ej-cg950b_003_dynamic_black_040417.jpg

It is pure software on the device, plus optimally something detecting if it is there or not on the device (here a magnet)
    09-18-18 09:05 AM
    The cheapest solution by far is the 100% passive click-on keyboard, capacitively interacting with the display. I disassembled one, see here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EJ-CG950B_003_Dynamic_Black_040417.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	440169

It is pure software on the device, plus optimally something detecting if it is there or not on the device (here a magnet)
    There's only one problem with this:

It's fffffugly
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    09-18-18 09:46 AM
    that is very interesting. and would be a great start.
    For me the idea of a screen the size of priv in landscape mode docked to a similar size pkb
    incorporating a battery boost and normal Tb mouse would be the most attractive goal this should start to give the tablet a run for its money.
    09-18-18 09:53 AM
    There's only one problem with this:

It's fffffugly
    Indeed the protruding 3mm at the front is not a looker. BUT depending on how often you use the keyboard, the keyboard part could be clicked off and that leaves a 100% ordinary looking protective case, and the less than 20g keyboard could be placed in your shirt pocket.

So definitely an option better than a slab in itself AND you can still use the s8 as a slab.
    But of course if you use the keys say 90% of the time, and thus keep it on - it will be an eye sore.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-18-18 10:03 AM
    that is very interesting. and would be a great start.
    For me the idea of a screen the size of priv in landscape mode docked to a similar size pkb
    incorporating a battery boost and normal Tb mouse would be the most attractive goal this should start to give the tablet a run for its money.
    You can get a large number of different stand alone BT keyboards. So if you think a protective 'book' where the keys closes onto the slabs display, it should be easy to produce from available components. The risk is that it will be quite thick when closed, and could also easily end up a bit heavy.

E.g. something like this could be your starting point, and it does not look like it has anything that would scratch the screen.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-18-18 10:43 AM
    My vote goes to the Priv 2, which would be bought the moment it was released. I've just bought myself two new Priv 1, and I also intend to have my old one fixed, so that I can keep using it for awhile, since I don’t want to change to a Key1/2/3… with a much smaller screen or ANY phone without a real keyboard. And I bought my first Priv about 2,5 years ago as a replacement for my Sony Xperia Pro, that I had been using since 2011, so I can wait, if that’s what I takes…
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-19-18 06:29 AM
    My vote goes to the Priv 2, which would be bought the moment it was released. I've just bought myself two new Priv 1, and I also intend to have my old one fixed, so that I can keep using it for awhile, since I don’t want to change to a Key1/2/3… with a much smaller screen or ANY phone without a real keyboard. And I bought my first Priv about 2,5 years ago as a replacement for my Sony Xperia Pro, that I had been using since 2011, so I can wait, if that’s what I takes…
    In my opinion, the KEYone/KEY2/KEY2 LE are so far ahead of the Priv in terms of speed and battery life that it's just not worth the extra 0.9" of screen of the Priv, even though it's a nice AMOLED.
    09-19-18 02:51 PM
    In my opinion, the KEYone/KEY2/KEY2 LE are so far ahead of the Priv in terms of speed and battery life that it's just not worth the extra 0.9" of screen of the Priv, even though it's a nice AMOLED.
    My K1s and K2 are in a drawer in favour of the Priv.

The big screen and better pkb than k1 are the reasons of my decision.

My second phone is a note8 with the korean pkb.

Regards
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-19-18 04:05 PM
    there is a division between those who want a pkb and those who want a slider or equivalent.
    for me a slider answers a call without looking and I would like it to end it . I do like the larger screen that it allows in addition to for my mind a simple mouse as per 9800s etc.
    a pkb on its own has no attraction as per 1and 2 etc.
    assuming the Holy grail of a reworked priv 2 is never going to happen then any possible compromise is interesting.
    EskeRahn and johnsliderbb like this.
    09-19-18 05:10 PM
    Keep an eye out for what the Livermoriumltd.co.uk guys (that tried to give us a QWERTY slider Mod for the Moto Z series) ar cooking. They should be close to revealing a complete QWERTY slider phone, see info in the comments and last update on the cancelled project here.
    09-20-18 04:35 AM
    there is a division between those who want a pkb and those who want a slider or equivalent.
    for me a slider answers a call without looking and I would like it to end it . I do like the larger screen that it allows in addition to for my mind a simple mouse as per 9800s etc.
    a pkb on its own has no attraction as per 1and 2 etc.
    assuming the Holy grail of a reworked priv 2 is never going to happen then any possible compromise is interesting.
    Indeed, unfortunately we are not enough 'keyboard lovers' left to sustain a lot of form factors, with different keyboard, battery and chipset configurations. It would be ideal if we could all get what suited our needs the most.
    (That is why I argue for the approach of a basic device with multiple options for the battery-back, that could be used over generations of the device)
    09-20-18 04:40 AM
    (That is why I argue for the approach of a basic device with multiple options for the battery-back, that could be used over generations of the device)
    Isn't that basically what the Moto Z series are about?
    09-20-18 05:42 AM
    Isn't that basically what the Moto Z series are about?
    To some extent yes, though the base of the Moto Z devices are fully functioning devices including battery and backplate. Adding extra to the thickness when an external Mod is added.

Think more like the ancient days with different sizes of battery pack backs, that was available for e.g. Nokia and Samsung devices. Some with wireless charging. So each could use the type that suited their current needs.

I had a Samsung s300 with three different packs.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-20-18 05:50 AM
    Can I vote more than once ?
    09-22-18 02:37 PM
    I would love to have a Priv² but would give up teeth to have a Pre⁴ with Android under Luna shell... a dream machine
    gizmo21 likes this.
    09-24-18 02:23 PM
    https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2284https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2284
    I would love to have a Priv² but would give up teeth to have a Pre⁴ with Android under Luna shell... a dream machine
    If we are talking dream devices, I would rather build on e.g. a SE Pro... Below an old mock-up.

While we are waiting for a better option (that might never come....), I strongly suggest that people have a closer look at the click on/off keyboard for the Samsung S8 (yes 8 not 9), it is far from as silly as it may sound/look at first. See here. That gives us the best of a top of the shelf (well 2017) slab + what a Key½ can offer. (it also exists for other of their models)

The really great thing is that the keyboard easily clicks off (<20g) so you are left with a 100% normal slab in a protective cover. Slip the key part in a shirt pocket or click it on the back.

Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-xperia-pro-dk_optimal_12.jpg
    09-25-18 03:07 AM
    https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2284https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2284

If we are talking dream devices, I would rather build on e.g. a SE Pro... Below an old mock-up.

While we are waiting for a better option (that might never come....), I strongly suggest that people have a closer look at the click on/off keyboard for the Samsung S8 (yes 8 not 9), it is far from as silly as it may sound/look at first. See here. That gives us the best of a top of the shelf (well 2017) slab + what a Key½ can offer. (it also exists for other of their models)

The really great thing is that the keyboard easily clicks off (<20g) so you are left with a 100% normal slab in a protective cover. Slip the key part in a shirt pocket or click it on the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xperia-pro-dk_OPTIMAL_12.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	440313
    But, I worry it would be flimsy and break as well as subject to loss... priv design has no such foibles
    09-25-18 02:48 PM
    But, I worry it would be flimsy and break as well as subject to loss... priv design has no such foibles
    You mean the S8-Keyboard? If so, no, far from flimsy (just tried the one I took apart for the S6 Edge, and stood on it with 90Kg - it did not break), and if you are afraid of loosing it, just click it on the back when you click it off the front.

The light weight is due to the simplicity, there are no battery or fancy electronics in the keyboard,

(And the SE Pro was not flimsy either)
    09-25-18 03:13 PM
    The S8/S8+/Note 8 keyboard covers are so hideous. If they werent, I would have bought one to go with the collection. The keyboard looks so sub-par and half assed compared to even the LE and its non-capacitive PKB.
    09-25-18 03:41 PM
    The S8/S8+/Note 8 keyboard covers are so hideous. If they werent, I would have bought one to go with the collection. The keyboard looks so sub-par and half assed compared to even the LE and its non-capacitive PKB.
    Indeed they are ugly mounted. I thought most grown ups (outside the aPple segment) found looks less important than function.
    ...You can click it off if that helps impressing someone

Remember it IS an intermediate solution, hoping for a real slider.

Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-ej-gc950b_clicked_off.jpg
    (from this official page)
    09-25-18 04:16 PM
    Will there be a snap on PKB for the s9, anyone know ??
    09-25-18 04:18 PM
    Will there be a snap on PKB for the s9, anyone know ??
    Don't think so. The S8's covers probably didn't sell so well because they also cut short the ones for the Note 8. Those are very hard to find.
    09-26-18 01:13 AM
    Don't think so. The S8's covers probably didn't sell so well because they also cut short the ones for the Note 8. Those are very hard to find.
    I have a feeling that they stopped them for all models, and all that you can get is old stock. ;(

To make things more complicated there are a bunch of different variants, noted on the last two letters: WW for WorldWide, DE for Deutschland, GB for GB, CA for Canada, et cetera...
    This MIGHT impact what languages are made available on them (no matter the print on the key-tops - the DE got qwertZ not qwertY )
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-26-18 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Link
    09-26-18 08:07 AM
    I have a feeling that they stopped them for all models, and all that you can get is old stock. ;(

To make things more complicated there are a bunch of different variants, noted on the last two letters: WW for WorldWide, DE for Deutschland, GB for GB, CA for Canada, et cetera...
    This MIGHT impact what languages are made available on them (no matter the print on the key-tops - the DE got qwertZ not qwertY )
    It's even worse for the Note 8, as the regular qwerty cases are basically impossible to find (except maybe second-hand) and the only ones that are still available are Korean... with the Latin characters printed small on the corner of each key.

The compromises that come between those Samsung add-ons, the Typo iPhone cases and the Priv, I just don't think are worth the extra bit of screen space.

I'd rather just use a KEY2/LE.
    09-26-18 09:39 AM
891 ... 1516171819 ...