"Better off?" No way... I would NEVER buy a key½.
    The idea of a FIXED keyboard is just not a reasonable solution in 2018 for my usage.
    And the waste space between the keyboard and the display makes them even worse... Bad design IMHO

I would rather try to find some old BT keyboard slider case, and modify it for a modern slab of suitable dimension. Or use a separate BT keyboard. Or the click on keyboard for a Samsung S8
    ...Or buy a couple of Priv's and keep as spares.

But for now I keep my hopes up for the new project (code name "Q") of a new slider.
    Ok I get it but any bluetooth keyboard case (I have the Typo for my iPhone SE) is gonna be an extra drain on the battery and will need to be charged separately.

Those trade offs aren't worth the extra inch or so of screen real estate.
    09-14-18 02:28 AM
    Ok I get it but any bluetooth keyboard case (I have the Typo for my iPhone SE) is gonna be an extra drain on the battery and will need to be charged separately.

Those trade offs aren't worth the extra inch or so of screen real estate.
    Not worth an extra 50% display? Seriously? To me it is.... I used a slider BT case for a Iphone 6- , the case needed a charge about once a month. And used with a keyboard so close, the extra battery used for BT was negligible.

If the Ios had not been a horror, I would most likely still be using it.

I even merged an Iphone 5 and 6- case so the keyboard was detachable, attached by magnets AND could be used in either direction....

Images from the comments here (case only, without the phablet)

Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-7a87bae94d6393d7c4fea9bcb79eeda3fd2ce97688734a506e3d2b238c0fff29-1-.jpg
    09-14-18 03:50 AM
    Not worth an extra 50% display? Seriously? To me it is.... I used a slider BT case for a Iphone 6- , the case needed a charge about once a month. And used with a keyboard so close, the extra battery used for BT was negligible.

If the Ios had not been a horror, I would most likely still be using it.

I even merged an Iphone 5 and 6- case so the keyboard was detachable, attached by magnets AND could be used in either direction....

Images from the comments here (case only, without the phablet)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7a87bae94d6393d7c4fea9bcb79eeda3fd2ce97688734a506e3d2b238c0fff29[1].jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	440069
    Lol seems like you went to quite some length to get your perfect PKB case setup.

And c'mon, removing the PKB on a KEY device won't get you 50% more of screen real estate... more like ⅓ or so
    09-14-18 05:20 AM
    Lol seems like you went to quite some length to get your perfect PKB case setup.

And c'mon, removing the PKB on a KEY device won't get you 50% more of screen real estate... more like ⅓ or so
    Actually it was only about an hour or twos work merging them - but a lot of time used to find the starting points.

Should have been more accurate with the "50%", Actually it would be around 47-48%...

See this quick mock-up, with soft keys like the Priv (and not touching the top bezel)
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-key2_mockup.jpg
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-14-18 at 05:46 AM. Reason: forgot the first part
    09-14-18 05:41 AM
    Actually it was only about an hour or twos work merging them - but a lot of time used to find the starting points.
    PS the starting points were
    1) A sliding BT keyboard case for the Ip6-
    2) A compact enclosing case the Ip6-
    3) A magnetic keyboard case for a Ip5

The Ip6- keyboard case was disassembled (a few screws) and the sliding part attaching to the phablet discarded.
    The Ip5 case was torn apart, and only the plates with the magnets used
    And the tricky part: Part of the top plate of the keyboard was cut, and replaced with the cut top part fom the Ip5 keyboard.
    The plate from the Ip5 case was placed glued inside the compact Ip6- case at the 'exact' position matching were the magnets ended.
    Finally a papersticker was placed to camouflage both my mess and the holes that was originally hidden by another plastic-sticker (glue remains from that still visible).

PPS
    I later removed two magnet-pairs, as these interfered with the battery circuitry of the BT keyboard, making it heat like crazy.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-14-18 at 06:10 AM. Reason: PPS added
    09-14-18 06:03 AM
    Adding my upvote to this concept. I very nearly bought a Priv. With hindsight and looking at these forums, glad I didn't. it could have been so much better. however this is with the benefit of a few years of hindsight.

Priv2 would be awesome.
    09-14-18 06:03 PM
    there's a thought to ease production costs do away with slider mech etc .
    produce keyboard built into case say wallet type .only problem would be a reliable connection as no doubt the option to use as a slab should be available also keep bulk down.
    This format should give huge scope .I suppose one is looking at a sort of landscape flip phone with a detachable flip.
    09-15-18 01:46 AM
    there's a thought to ease production costs do away with slider mech etc .
    produce keyboard built into case say wallet type .only problem would be a reliable connection as no doubt the option to use as a slab should be available also keep bulk down.
    This format should give huge scope .I suppose one is looking at a sort of landscape flip phone with a detachable flip.
    Yup a dedicated slider device is hard to sustain with the limitted user base.

I think the best solution would be a slab with a detachable back and battery pack, and then offer an alternative back pack with the sliding keyboard. So the same device would target a larger audience. And later versions of the phablet could then be produced for the same backs
    the_boon likes this.
    09-16-18 01:00 AM
    Yup a dedicated slider device is hard to sustain with the limitted user base.

I think the best solution would be a slab with a detachable back and battery pack, and then offer an alternative back pack with the sliding keyboard. So the same device would target a larger audience. And later versions of the phablet could then be produced for the same backs
    Isn't that basically what Lenovo tried to do with the Moto Z Play series?
    09-16-18 04:20 AM
    Isn't that basically what Lenovo tried to do with the Moto Z Play series?
    Well to some extent yes, though the device itself got a battery, and the keyboard Mod was a third party thing that moto more prevented than helped to realise - and the project is now cancelled.
    09-16-18 11:58 PM
    I suppose a form of docking wallet would be a possibility. As long as it's size and weight were kept well down.
    it could inspire a whole range of dedicated slabs
    09-17-18 12:43 AM
    Well to some extent yes, though the device itself got a battery, and the keyboard Mod was a third party thing that moto more prevented than helped to realise - and the project is now cancelled.
    I have a Typo keyboard cover for my iPhone SE as well as a Mophie batterie case. I wonder if it's doable to do a mod where you remove the keyboard part and stick it on the mophie case to have one single case that charges the phone and has the PKB
    09-17-18 02:41 AM
    I have a Typo keyboard cover for my iPhone SE as well as a Mophie batterie case. I wonder if it's doable to do a mod where you remove the keyboard part and stick it on the mophie case to have one single case that charges the phone and has the PKB
    Hmm, doable theoretically yes, but I think it will be really complicated. You can use standard BT keyboards that works on Android on Ios devices out of the box, but not the other way round. ;(
    09-17-18 03:06 AM
    Hmm, doable theoretically yes, but I think it will be really complicated. You can use standard BT keyboards that works on Android on Ios devices out of the box, but not the other way round. ;(
    I think it might be simpler to glue an external battery bank that has somewhat of the dimensions of the Typo case, and then find a tiny cable to keep the phone constantly plugged into the bank, which is glued on to the back of the Typo case lol.
    09-17-18 03:38 AM
    I think it might be simpler to glue an external battery bank that has somewhat of the dimensions of the Typo case, and then find a tiny cable to keep the phone constantly plugged into the bank, which is glued on to the back of the Typo case lol.
    The battery part is the least of it; although what is charging what could be tricky. The complex would be to make the keyboard for Ios to work on an Android device. An of course to connect to the Mod system in the correct way.
    09-17-18 04:31 AM
    Petitions are for other sorts of social issues not this.
    The company will build and launch products that will make them some money.

The sliding keyboard is a very good idea on paper but a big compromise and expensive option for any manufacturer.
    Given the failure of previous attempts and the fact that the PKB market is so small, it wouldn't seem to make sense.

On the PKB you can also write on the screen as an option.
    That's not a bad compromise.
    But forget the slider phone for the coming future.
    09-17-18 04:50 AM
    Petitions are for other sorts of social issues not this.
    The company will build and launch products that will make them some money.

The sliding keyboard is a very good idea on paper but a big compromise and expensive option for any manufacturer.
    Given the failure of previous attempts and the fact that the PKB market is so small, it wouldn't seem to make sense.

On the PKB you can also write on the screen as an option.
    That's not a bad compromise.
    But forget the slider phone for the coming future.
    I respect your rigt to an opinion, but the bad option is the fixed keyboard. A silly compromise IMHO.
    The amount of users using a smartphone in 2018 that does NOT want to be able to display 16:9 content full screen and ALSO is part of our tiny group that want a physical keyboard must be REALLY small. The Priv design is a really good compromise giving us the best of both world.

At the least some of us would love to see the design reused with a modern and more power efficient chipset.

That the Key1 was less unsuccessful than the Priv, has a long list of reasons - and the design is not at the top.

I doubt that many would prefer a key½ over a similar device that was a slider. Sure it could be priced to move the preference.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-17-18 at 04:06 PM. Reason: quote
    09-17-18 04:02 PM
    I respect your rigt to an opinion, but the bad option is the fixed keyboard. A silly compromise IMHO.
    The amount of users using a smartphone in 2018 that does NOT want to be able to display 16:9 content full screen and ALSO is part of our tiny group that want a physical keyboard must be REALLY small. The Priv design is a really good compromise giving us the best of both world.

At the least some of us would love to see the design reused with a modern and more power efficient chipset.

That the Key1 was less unsuccessful than the Priv, has a long list of reasons - and the design is not at the top.

I doubt that many would prefer a key½ over a similar device that was a slider. Sure it could be priced to move the preference.
    I agree with most of your points except for one: A slider like the Priv is the best of both worlds.

It's more like: A slider is the worst of both worlds, but still has both worlds.
    It's not as good at being a slab as a solid state slab and it's not as good at being a PKB device as a dedicated candy bar like the KEY devices.

Example:

Due to the moving parts, it most likely won't have an IP rating like most slabs.

Due to the weight imbalance, it won't be as nice to type on the PKB as, say a KEY2.
    09-17-18 04:30 PM
    Even if TCL makes this it’ll be glitchy until the third release & we’ll have even more complaints and less happiness... and by the third release a sliders niche within a niche within another niche would have moved on and it will guarantee TCL’s loss in trying to make a slider fan happy.
    09-17-18 10:45 PM

Due to the moving parts, it most likely won't have an IP rating like most slabs.

Due to the weight imbalance, it won't be as nice to type on the PKB as, say a KEY2.
    I guess that depends on how cleverness of the design team to make that happen. Sadly blackberry and TCL isn't mature enough to accomplish that.
    09-17-18 11:56 PM
    I guess that depends on how cleverness of the design team to make that happen. Sadly blackberry and TCL isn't mature enough to accomplish that.
    Let's say they are, it would definitely cost $1000 +
    09-18-18 12:47 AM
    I agree with most of your points except for one: A slider like the Priv is the best of both worlds.

It's more like: A slider is the worst of both worlds, but still has both worlds.
    It's not as good at being a slab as a solid state slab and it's not as good at being a PKB device as a dedicated candy bar like the KEY devices.

Example:

It will be more complex to make it with an IP rating, but even without the rating, it is a much better solution than ditching a third of the display area.
    Remember that any smartphone from any brand is a compromise.

And on the weight. Well have you tried a Priv, or are you referring to the solutions with a keyboard slider case for a standard slab (e.g. an Iphone)? The case combo does have a poor balance due to the battery in the top part.

I have had both Nokia and Sony-Ericsson dedicated sliders before the Priv, and they all got good balance. (But of course the landscape sliders got a better balance than with the keyboard in the odd portrait orientation, but that is a different story)

And even for those that prefer the display size of the key½ , Imagine that you could slide in the keyboard to a more compact slab 2/3 the height. Do you really believe that the users would dislike that?
    (But of course it unfortunately is unlikely that there will be enough market for two sizes of the slider)
    09-18-18 12:49 AM
    Well any keyboard phone/phablet is going to be expensive simply because we are so few potential buyers left, that the sales is unlikely to get in the millions range.
    09-18-18 12:53 AM
    ...and don't get me wrong guys. I know we are very unlikely to ever get a Priv II - I just wish we were getting one...
    09-18-18 01:02 AM
    That's the problem, the current company who make a keyboarded phone always put high price for their device, eventhough making pkb isn't cost as much as making chip for RnD.
    09-18-18 01:46 AM
891 ... 1415161718 ...