I would like a PRIV II that will be able to receive future OS upgrades
    EskeRahn and Stars Fan like this.
    06-19-18 11:19 PM
    I would like a PRIV II that will be able to receive future OS upgrades
    Yes with "Treble" please
    Stars Fan likes this.
    06-20-18 04:12 AM
    PS. Those that don't mind the keyboard eating the display area might be interested in a solution like this - if they can find it, in stock somewhere.
    It is actually a quite clever solution, purely mechanical (EDIT: ) capacitively interacting with the display, and you can take off the keyboard (of course) and click it on the back. Should be detected automatically. I would guess NFC, or (EDIT: ) With NFC and a strategically placed magnet
    Sounds like a quite good alternative to a Key½ to me
    It exist (as what I found on ebay, at the least for S6edge+, S7, S7edge, S8, S8+ Note8)
    Some can be found REALLY cheap!!! (the oldest as low as £1 including shipping!!)
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-s-l1600.jpg Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-s-l1600.jpg Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-s-l1600.jpg
    Here the official link for s8
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 06-22-18 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Factual error
    06-20-18 05:06 AM
    It is actually a quite clever solution, purely mechanical interacting with the display, and you can take off the keyboard (of course) and click it on the back. Should be detected automatically. I would guess NFC, or a strategically placed magnet?
    Sounds like a quite good alternative to a Key½ to me
    It exist (as what I found on ebay, at the least for S6edge, S7, S7edge, S8, S8+ Note8)
    Some can be found REALLY cheap!!! (the oldest as low as £1 including shipping!!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	437060 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	157 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	437061 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	157 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	437062
    Here the official link for s8
    Except it isn't a real solution. They're just sticks that poke the screen. AFAIK there isn't even backlighting.
    06-20-18 09:18 AM
    Except it isn't a real solution. They're just sticks that poke the screen. AFAIK there isn't even backlighting.
    Yes, they are using the screen, but the devices enter a special mode for it (note the two soft keys on the first image), so it is not just reacting with the usual touch-keyboard.

And yes, unfortunately they have NOT used transparent plastic (as reviews on Samsungs site tell). If they had, it would have been so easy to provide backlight using the display.
    06-20-18 10:55 AM
    Yes, they are using the screen, but the devices enter a special mode for it (note the two soft keys on the first image), so it is not just reacting with the usual touch-keyboard.

And yes, unfortunately they have NOT used transparent plastic (as reviews on Samsungs site tell). If they had, it would have been so easy to provide backlight using the display.
    Attachments are outright junk.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    06-20-18 01:30 PM

Well it sold so well they got rid of it for the S9.
    the_boon and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-20-18 01:32 PM
    Attachments are outright junk.
    Well it depends on the available alternatives, these might be even worse - it all depend on the usage pattern...
    If it has not been for the awful Ios, I would most likely have stayed with the solution of an Ip6- and a qwerty slider case - despite it being an "attachment".
    06-20-18 05:44 PM
    Well it sold so well they got rid of it for the S9.
    Yes they obviously did not sell in volumes enough for Samsung to care about.
    But despite never seen an ad for any of these I would not be surprised if they have sold amounts comparable to BB...

Of course it is a clumsy solution, but if the alternative is no keyboard at all, or taking up a third of the surface area all the time, it could be interesting for those of us that feels the need for a full size display. For my usage pattern it would clearly be worse than a slider like a Priv II, but still better than a Key½.
    06-20-18 05:52 PM

Actually it is NOT just reacting with the display mechanically, as I thought too, so must be using NFC for powering and communication (EDIT: ) capacitively interacts with the display - and that also explains why it is not just transparent for lighting the keys. Ordered one out of curiosity (and they delivered it really quickly).
    The keys have a movement quite like the ones on the priv, and are about the size of the keys of the Priv, BUT turned in portrait
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-r1090272.jpg
    The combo is about 13mm thick at the thickest including the case.
    (the top of the keys is about 3mm above the display)
    ....and yeah, I ought to have dusted the Priv before the photo

EDIT: Bought more, and have taken one apart, see more images here
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 06-22-18 at 06:07 AM. Reason: more info
    06-21-18 04:53 AM
    Still using my Priv, would love a second version with updated hardware.
    epoc32, EskeRahn and Stars Fan like this.
    08-28-18 07:05 AM
    Still using my Priv, would love a second version with updated hardware.
    If it was easy to create a new motherboard for the actual Priv it would be awesome
    tilchev and Stars Fan like this.
    08-28-18 02:33 PM
    If it was easy to create a new motherboard for the actual Priv it would be awesome
    Yup, updated electronics is all it really needs. keyboard, display and camera are fine.

It would be great if BBmo could update the space-key with the fingerprint reader they use on the key½. but not a showstopper. Some face recognition that actually works also in poor light would do just as fine.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 08-29-18 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
    Stars Fan likes this.
    08-29-18 08:11 AM
    Yup, updated electronics is all it really needs. keyboard, display and camera are fine.

It would be great if BBmo could update the space-key with the fingerprint reader they use on the key½. but not a showstopper. Some face recognition that actually works also in poor light would do just as fine.
    Lol I'd vote for the other way around. I want BBMo to copy the Priv's keyboard design for future devices.

Why, you may ask? See my thread below

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/
    08-29-18 08:22 AM
    Lol I'd vote for the other way around. I want BBMo to copy the Priv's keyboard design for future devices.

Why, you may ask? See my thread below

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/
    Well even if the keyboard is water resistant, the rest of the Priv most likely is not, so won't make much of a difference as a whole I guess.
    Of course it would be better with an in display fingerprint reader, but then we would most likely be talking substantial changes.
    08-29-18 09:17 AM
    Well even if the keyboard is water resistant, the rest of the Priv most likely is not, so won't make much of a difference as a whole I guess.
    Of course it would be better with an in display fingerprint reader, but then we would most likely be talking substantial changes.
    Of course the Priv itself isn't waterproof lol, it's got the worst form factor for that.

I meant TCL should use the Priv's PKB design style (1 single rubber piece) and base their next device PKB on it, to give us the IP rating.

The benefits? (Besides blocking water)

1 single piece is always more reliable than 30 different ones

Easier to manufacture and keep track of

Impossible for any key to become loose or fall off

To me, it's so obvious that this is the logical step to take that I don't know why it hasn't been done on the KEY devices yet.

I seriously have to bring this idea to someone at BB Mobile.
    08-29-18 09:28 AM
    I most definitely want a PRIV 2. I totally demand a PRIV 2. 100%. PRIV could have been the BlackBerry I would use for years if not for the faulty Snapdragon 808. Else, every other part about the phone was beautiful!
    08-29-18 10:15 AM
    i came to the forums to add my two cent to this. i want my priv2. godamnit, they keep remaking Key 2 with KEY2 LE. I get it, youre reusing the hardware and putting cheaper components. You can do the same for Priv 2. re-use the outside hardware but change the components. TCL. This is 13 pages of passionate priv 2 owners. Istill use mine. ive already paid for it finally after 2 years and im still using it going on 4th year. i refuse to upgrade to KEy phone. I need my physical keyboard hidden. i want a long stretched out phone like Priv 2. I still feel privileged, with it when people look at me with their ****ty iphones.

Lets all email TCL and bug them.
    Qorax, EskeRahn and Stars Fan like this.
    08-31-18 01:56 AM
    i came to the forums to add my two cent to this. i want my priv2. godamnit, they keep remaking Key 2 with KEY2 LE. I get it, youre reusing the hardware and putting cheaper components. You can do the same for Priv 2. re-use the outside hardware but change the components. TCL. This is 13 pages of passionate priv 2 owners. Istill use mine. ive already paid for it finally after 2 years and im still using it going on 4th year. i refuse to upgrade to KEy phone. I need my physical keyboard hidden. i want a long stretched out phone like Priv 2. I still feel privileged, with it when people look at me with their ****ty iphones.

Lets all email TCL and bug them.
    13 pages of hardcore Priv fans?

E-mail TCL to bug them?

ROTFL

Let them build momentum and stability with the KEY line first, and then MAYBE they'll consider a more complex design such as a slider.
    Sigewif and Stars Fan like this.
    08-31-18 04:05 AM
    I've been waiting for a priv 2 I like the full screen pkb combination. I think the full screen is more important to me in the end so if nothing comes out before my priv dies I may be forced to go non blackberry for the first time since 03. It's sad to think it but they aren't leaving me much choice. Other features important to me, high-end SOC, wireless charging, SD slot, headphone jack, slimport or equivalent. The priv checks all of these boxes except processor is dated.

I've been doing research and the only phones that get close to checking all the boxes are the G7 and S9 leaning towards the G7 because of my stubbornness to go with the crowd.
    08-31-18 04:21 AM
    I've been waiting for a priv 2 I like the full screen pkb combination. I think the full screen is more important to me in the end so if nothing comes out before my priv dies I may be forced to go non blackberry for the first time since 03. It's sad to think it but they aren't leaving me much choice. Other features important to me, high-end SOC, wireless charging, SD slot, headphone jack, slimport or equivalent. The priv checks all of these boxes except processor is dated.

I've been doing research and the only phones that get close to checking all the boxes are the G7 and S9 leaning towards the G7 because of my stubbornness to go with the crowd.
    A full 16:9 or 18/9 screen is more important to you than a keyboard? What BB did you use between around 2012 when touchscreens became the norm till when the Priv launched?
    Stars Fan likes this.
    08-31-18 04:50 AM
    13 pages of hardcore Priv fans?

E-mail TCL to bug them?

ROTFL

Let them build momentum and stability with the KEY line first, and then MAYBE they'll consider a more complex design such as a slider.
    ok then, buy me a Key 2. i'm not gonna help them build this momentum and waste my money on something that looks ancient. Priv is perfect because its discreet and unique. u know theyre making these cheap phones to fund Priv probably. i havent seen any high end phones from them in a long time
    bqik, EskeRahn and Stars Fan like this.
    08-31-18 12:48 PM
    Patiently waiting while using my Priv
    bqik, EskeRahn, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    08-31-18 02:11 PM
    It would be nice to know how many users keep rocking the Priv.
    B1aize, EskeRahn, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    08-31-18 03:51 PM
    love my Priv ! 'nuff said...
    B1aize, EskeRahn, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    08-31-18 03:53 PM
891 ... 1112131415 ...