At Tony C --- forgot to quote and can't figure out how to do it after the fact.
    OK, you're forgiven then . But it sure sounded like you were saying it was a viable alternative.
    I think I prefer a portrait version anyway. Though I'd love to see dedicated period and comma keys. There is space to put them.
    06-12-18 07:31 AM
    OK, you're forgiven then . But it sure sounded like you were saying it was a viable alternative.
    I think I prefer a portrait version anyway. Though I'd love to see dedicated period and comma keys. There is space to put them.
    You can use Alt+P to tag people too, lol.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-12-18 07:46 AM
    I didn't say it was a Priv alternative, which was what @EskeRahn kept arguing it was a better alternative because it was landscape.
    I think you are mixing two things
    a) A landscape slider would be better for me.
    b) A landscape slider is an alternative to a Priv II after a Priv.

But I'm NOT claiming that there will not be those for whom a Priv II is a better alternative than a landscape slider. Especially if they use software that does not (properly) support landscape.
    06-12-18 09:16 AM
    (One way is to make a new quote reply, copy the [/QUOTE]...[/QUOTE] generated, Cancel. Edit the old post and insert the quote-block)
    06-12-18 09:21 AM
    Android passport sounds super-interesting. Good idea!
    Oh boy... As stated many times, it is not possible. Android does not support the screen aspect ratio.
    06-12-18 12:05 PM
    Oh boy... As stated many times, it is not possible. Android does not support the screen aspect ratio.
    The screen aspect ratio shall have a value from 1.3333 (4:3) to 1.86 (roughly 16:9), but Android Watch devices MAY have an aspect ratio of 1.0 (1:1) => Android N Spec.

The flexibility is there, it is a question of willingness.
    So, it is still interesting, boy.
    Qorax likes this.
    06-12-18 12:25 PM
    I think that's a policy limitation not a software limitation. There have been square screen Android devices in the past. If it truly doesn't support it, it's because of bad design.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-12-18 12:27 PM
    I think that's a policy limitation not a software limitation. There have been square screen Android devices in the past. If it truly doesn't support it, it's because of bad design.
    Well square here means 1:1, I think that's only on Android Wear.

Closest thing to a square was that LG thing, and even that is 4:3. KEYone/2 is already squarish at 3:2.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-12-18 12:31 PM
    Well square here means 1:1, I think that's only on Android Wear.

Closest thing to a square was that LG thing, and even that is 4:3. KEYone/2 is already squarish at 3:2.
    Go back farther. I'm thinking Motorola Admiral and XPRT.. there's a ton of obscure old devices.. They weren't quite as square as I remember, maybe 4:3 or 3:2.. I remember a flip Android from a couple years back that had a nearly square screen, but I can't remember who made it.

But my point is that there is no technical reason it couldn't support a square screen.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-12-18 12:41 PM
    Go back farther. I'm thinking Motorola Admiral and XPRT.. there's a ton of obscure old devices.. They weren't quite as square as I remember, maybe 4:3 or 3:2.. I remember a flip Android from a couple years back that had a nearly square screen, but I can't remember who made it.

But my point is that there is no technical reason it couldn't support a square screen.
    Well 320x480 was the standard back then. Even webOS wasn't WVGA until the Pre 3.
    06-12-18 12:47 PM
    Well 320x480 was the standard back then. Even webOS wasn't WVGA until the Pre 3.
    Funny how pitiful that is nowdays.. Seems so long ago, no?
    06-12-18 12:50 PM
    So more like a petition to bring Nougat to PRIV
    Or to DTEK

Or to extend regular updates to PRIV beyond October 2017

How about for Android Passport?

CB is littered with failed petitions because they’re not effective because our base isn’t representative enough of many economically feasible ideas
    Dang, Chuck! Was only a couple of days ago that I was accused of being a Debbie Downer. Your turn now.
    06-12-18 01:46 PM

My guess would be that this is the one you remember:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_flipout-3271.php
    the device is square, but the display 4:3

And you are absolutely right, that is a pure design decision!
    The relatively narrow band (12:9 to 17:9) allows for the same design to be stretched or squeezed without really changing things. (Of course some programs use the space constructively, but the limits allow for simpler programming - that the lazy ones will go for).
    Screens more square than 4:3 are (and were) rare, as are displays wider than 17:9 limit (though this must have been relaxed, as some are worse than 2:1 in 2018).
    06-12-18 02:00 PM
    We're going to get another slider. I can about guarantee it. They know it would generate alot of buzz. They probably tweaking the design as we speak.
    06-12-18 03:31 PM
    I do like landscape sliders, maybe more than portrait ones. Yet, after using PRIV for a year portrait sliders have a huge point in their favor. They don’t interrupt your work. If you have started on portrait on a webpage or email reading and then you have to type something you simply slide the display to show the keys and continue typing. Landscape sliders somehow break the flow as you have to reposition your view after rotating he device.
    06-12-18 04:13 PM
    I do like landscape sliders, maybe more than portrait ones. Yet, after using PRIV for a year portrait sliders have a huge point in their favor. They don’t interrupt your work. If you have started on portrait on a webpage or email reading and then you have to type something you simply slide the display to show the keys and continue typing. Landscape sliders somehow break the flow as you have to reposition your view after rotating he device.
    Which is why a portrait is better for daily phone-esque use. Landscape is better for more specialized uses like terminals and remote desktop.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-12-18 05:18 PM
    Having used both, I greatly prefer portrait sliders. My first smartphone was a landscape slider, and it was great, but too wide to type very quickly, and forget about one-handed typing, unless you're 7ft tall and have the hands to match. I quickly grew to hate rotating the phone and sliding the keyboard open, but it was far better than that terrible resistive display on-screen keyboard! After I'd had that phone a couple years, I bought a Treo 800W, and enjoyed the more convenient access to the keyboard, but didn't love the square screen. Then the Pre came out, and I fell in love. Moreso with webOS, but also the form factor. I could flip open the keyboard in an instant to do a device search or open a website. Unfortunately the demise of supported services forced a move to Android. I tried the Q10, as it was the only PKB phone available for Sprint (I think it was past the EOL of the Photon, but it was a landscape slider anyway..), but couldn't get used to the keyboard layout or feel. The Priv wasn't an option for me, but it was simply too large for me anyway. It's a same, but I'm certain I'll never see another compact portrait slider phone again.
    neoberry99 and PHughes like this.
    06-12-18 07:30 PM
    Having used both, I greatly prefer portrait sliders. My first smartphone was a landscape slider, and it was great, but too wide to type very quickly, and forget about one-handed typing, unless you're 7ft tall and have the hands to match. I quickly grew to hate rotating the phone and sliding the keyboard open, but it was far better than that terrible resistive display on-screen keyboard! After I'd had that phone a couple years, I bought a Treo 800W, and enjoyed the more convenient access to the keyboard, but didn't love the square screen. Then the Pre came out, and I fell in love. Moreso with webOS, but also the form factor. I could flip open the keyboard in an instant to do a device search or open a website. Unfortunately the demise of supported services forced a move to Android. I tried the Q10, as it was the only PKB phone available for Sprint (I think it was past the EOL of the Photon, but it was a landscape slider anyway..), but couldn't get used to the keyboard layout or feel. The Priv wasn't an option for me, but it was simply too large for me anyway. It's a same, but I'm certain I'll never see another compact portrait slider phone again.
    Though not a smartphone, my first keyboard was the landscape Nokia N810, then Centro, Pre, Pre Plus, Veer, Pre 3, Classic and now the Priv. So I too have experience with both factors and conclude that portrait is better, at least for messaging.
    06-12-18 07:34 PM
    Though not a smartphone, my first keyboard was the landscape Nokia N810, then Centro, Pre, Pre Plus, Veer, Pre 3, Classic and now the Priv. So I too have experience with both factors and conclude that portrait is better, at least for messaging.
    Oh, I thought the N810 was a phone. Whoops!
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06-12-18 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Uh, double-quick FTL!
    06-12-18 07:42 PM
    Getting slightly more off topic, have you guys seen this concept device ?
    And if you think it looks cool, then look at how old it is....
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-phone5.jpg
    Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-flip_phone13.jpg
    Of course today we would want all three parts combined to give a tablet like device, and not 'just' two.
    06-12-18 08:49 PM
    Having used both, I greatly prefer portrait sliders. My first smartphone was a landscape slider, and it was great, but too wide to type very quickly, and forget about one-handed typing, unless you're 7ft tall and have the hands to match. I quickly grew to hate rotating the phone and sliding the keyboard open, but it was far better than that terrible resistive display on-screen keyboard! .....
    I also have had both types. And whenever I for some reason pick up my SonyEricsson (Neo) Pro, it is like the perfect device with outdated hardware.
    If you gave that an edge-to-edge display, and a modern chipset I would be really glad! Ok, give it 5-10% extra in size - but not more than that!

The original batteries still works great(!) When I insert a battery after not having used it for say half a year, it is at 90% or more...

The only major flaw was/is the display, that simply was useless in the summer, due to the poor contrast/brightness and a reflective surface. So I swapped the sim around to another phone when I needed to use it outside - really annoying... (Samsung Wave with (one of?) the first 'large' super amoled display - and the odd BADa OS)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 06-12-18 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Link
    06-12-18 09:06 PM
    Canadian government should subsidize a Blackberry return to hardware to build the Priv 2.

Funded by a tariff on iPhones and Apple products in general that would be part of the proposed Canadian tariff package offsetting Trump's new tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum
    Wezard and EskeRahn like this.
    06-13-18 12:39 AM
    Canadian government should subsidize a Blackberry return to hardware to build the Priv 2.

Funded by a tariff on iPhones and Apple products in general that would be part of the proposed Canadian tariff package offsetting Trump's new tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum
    Isn’t Android OS considered owned by Google/Alphabet ?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-13-18 05:43 AM

...and add a tariff again when realizing it's from China?
    Wezard and EskeRahn like this.
    06-13-18 06:34 AM
    Good points and a poor attempt at humour on my part. Supply chains for electronic devices span many borders so a tariff on any one device could impact a number of companies and countries, not just the company\country where the device manufacturer is headquartered.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-13-18 09:32 AM
891 ... 56789 ...