What about a new Torch? Same form factor but Android? Thise phones felt great in the hand and were amazing to type on even though they had tiiiny keyboards.
    Isn’t that why the PRIV was larger when produced? Most purchasers want larger screens. Even if they want PKB, larger screen does seem to be what the majority of people want.
    06-09-18 12:57 PM
    Isn’t that why the PRIV was larger when produced? Most purchasers want larger screens. Even if they want PKB, larger screen does seem to be what the majority of people want.
    Unfortunately yes, and this limits the ability of secure one handed usage for quite a large portion of the potential users, including most women and a large part of the Asian market. Simply due to physical size.

Personally my ideal device -with current technology- would be a landscape slider about 65mm wide, with a (close to edge-to edge) screen. But NOT touch sensitive to the edges, so that it can be held without interacting with it.

...But that is not likely to happen...

When fully foldable displays becomes available new possibilities occur.....
    06-09-18 01:10 PM
    Priv was 5.4", which is "miniscule" in today's size standards. A lot of the bezel took up footprint so it made it felt large.

Although I don't know about making it smaller overall when some people are already complaining the keyboard being small and uncomfortable.
    06-09-18 01:52 PM
    What about a new Torch? Same form factor but Android? Thise phones felt great in the hand and were amazing to type on even though they had tiiiny keyboards.
    The thickness will be a problem today. Personally I don't mind it... people called my Pre 3 a brick.
    06-09-18 01:53 PM
    The thickness will be a problem today. Personally I don't mind it... people called my Pre 3 a brick.
    Huuuge battery! And the thickness makes it more ergonomic. Still very pocketable.
    06-09-18 02:07 PM
    Priv was 5.4", which is "miniscule" in today's size standards. A lot of the bezel took up footprint so it made it felt large.

Although I don't know about making it smaller overall when some people are already complaining the keyboard being small and uncomfortable.
    ....and that is exactly where a landscape slider has its big force: Larger keys for same size of device...
    06-09-18 02:52 PM
    using my PRIV to join is saying I would upgrade to a PRIV 2.
    06-09-18 04:10 PM
    I'd definitely look at picking up a Priv2, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I like the KeyOne and 2 but they just make too many compromises for me. Just ordered a OnePlus 6 yesterday and I'll be moving from my Priv to it. Priv is still a decent device, but it's stumbled more often then not lately for me and I think it's time to just jump ship. Been using a G5 as a secondary phone and the speed and convenience of it becomes very apparent when I move back to the Priv.

Since the One+ devices have such good resale, I'd eBay the 6 in a minute if a Priv2 became available. In my book if everything was nearly the same and they transplanted in a new CPU with some additional RAM I'd be more than happy, well maybe some camera upgrades to go along with it all. (Spec wise besides the CPU & RAM, it actually has held up pretty well over nearly 3 years. It even has a higher res screen than the One+6 I just ordered)
    Qorax likes this.
    06-09-18 04:17 PM
    Adding my vote for a PRIV2.

With my PRIV, I love that I can watch full-screen video (with no black bars) on my PRIV, and I can even play PUBG Mobile (albeit on the lowest settings). People still are impressed when I have my phone out and a keyboard appears from nowhere. Give me a PRIV with newer guts and a modern OS and I'll buy it!

I'm tempted by the KEY2, but the everpresent keyboard means that I can't reach half of the screen in landscape mode. Also the KEY2's screen resolution is lower (in both dimensions) than my PRIV.

I'm a bit worried by the "UNI" patent linked earlier in the thread because it shows a smaller (non-16:9) aspect ratio.

(And fwiw, I still carry around a BB7 secondary device because the FM radio app and GPS tracking are so much more reliable than with my newer devices. I also miss being able to use a cursor in the browser like on the BB10 devices; I thought the PRIV's capacitive keyboard would work that way but it didn't)

- RG>
    06-10-18 06:44 AM
    I also miss being able to use a cursor in the browser like on the BB10 devices; I thought the PRIV's capacitive keyboard would work that way but it didn't
    Actually some models had a development option that did just that, probably a cancelled feature.
    06-10-18 06:52 AM
    I'm a bit worried by the "UNI" patent linked earlier in the thread because it shows a smaller (non-16:9) aspect ratio.
    The patent doesn't show a pixel count or aspect ratio, (that I could find in any of the links).
    I suspect thats a misprint or mis-translation, 1620 x 1080 is a 3 to 2 ratio, which is really odd. Course phones are coming out with odd ratios, apparently Google has either relaxed the rules, or dropped them entirely.
    Mu guess, (stress guess) is it will be the same frame, keyboard and screen size as the Priv. Why spend a ton of money to reinvent the wheel? Just upgrade the electronics and move them around a bit.
    Qorax and EskeRahn like this.
    06-10-18 08:21 AM
    apparently Google has either relaxed the rules, or dropped them entirely.
    I just hope there's no resurgence of "Android Passport" posts...
    06-10-18 08:37 AM
    This would be interesting to see. If it will happen, we won't know, but what I don't understand is that companies don't announce any phones they might be doing soon, or will be. We can't not get a device hoping for something and then never getting it.
    06-10-18 10:37 AM
    This would be interesting to see. If it will happen, we won't know, but what I don't understand is that companies don't announce any phones they might be doing soon, or will be. We can't not get a device hoping for something and then never getting it.
    Apparently you missed the days when Z50 threads ruled. LOL. But, that would be lucky for you. Welcome to CrackBerry!!! Post early, post often, and throw yourself in the mix. CrackBerry loves new participants.
    06-10-18 11:42 AM
    If they combined all the threads requesting and wanting a priv2 there would be lots of discussion.
    I am in for a priv2
    06-10-18 03:47 PM
    If they combined all the threads requesting and wanting a priv2 there would be lots of discussion.
    I am in for a priv2
    Not really. It’s a lot of the same people. If each person would post in old thread, instead of starting new one, support would be combined instead of fragmented.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-10-18 04:15 PM
    Not really. It’s a lot of the same people. If each person would post in old thread, instead of starting new one, support would be combined instead of fragmented.
    isnt that Combining them, like I said? Most forums delete or combine similar threads automatically
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-10-18 04:24 PM
    isnt that Combining them, like I said? Most forums delete or combine similar threads automatically
    Not here that I’ve ever seen. Just post link to most recent open relevant thread and lock the newer duplicate or similar threads.
    06-10-18 04:32 PM
    The idea of a Landscape PKB on a Priv 2 would produce a massive screen in addition at current size a great keyboard .It could even go back to the TB mouse which was great on the tourch.
    providing it incorporated a normal touch screen KB in normal non landscape mode would be an interesting concept in today's competitive world.
    EskeRahn and anon(10218918) like this.
    06-10-18 11:53 PM
    The idea of a Landscape PKB on a Priv 2 would produce a massive screen in addition at current size a great keyboard .It could even go back to the TB mouse which was great on the tourch.
    providing it incorporated a normal touch screen KB in normal non landscape mode would be an interesting concept in today's competitive world.
    There's already one on the market. It's called the Moto Z with the MotoMod keyboard.
    06-11-18 07:22 AM
    There's already one on the market. It's called the Moto Z with the MotoMod keyboard.
    Strictly it is not available YET. I have been waiting for over a year....
    But allegedly they have started shipping, so I hope to get my orders some time this summer, and hopefully there will be a Z3 Force for it.
    06-11-18 07:54 AM
    Big difference between a separate, attachable keyboard and a built in slider. That thing triples the thickness of the phone, makes using a case or holster nearly impossible, and is hinged, designed to be used on a desk or flat surface.
    Not even remotely a valid comparison.
    06-11-18 08:04 AM
    Strictly it is not available YET. I have been waiting for over a year....
    But allegedly they have started shipping, so I hope to get my orders some time this summer, and hopefully there will be a Z3 Force for it.
    At least you can order it and it's an actual product, we're discussing vapourware here, lol.
    06-11-18 08:58 AM
    Big difference between a separate, attachable keyboard and a built in slider. That thing triples the thickness of the phone, makes using a case or holster nearly impossible, and is hinged, designed to be used on a desk or flat surface.
    Not even remotely a valid comparison.
    You don't have to lift the hinge.

06-11-18 09:00 AM
    At least you can order it and it's an actual product, we're discussing vapourware here, lol.
    Actually it can NOT currently be ordered. But those of us that have ordered and paid still have a hope that we actually will get it/them. So though not vapour still in the realm of hopes and wishes...
    06-11-18 09:03 AM
891 ... 34567 ...