Depending on what TCL's definition of success is, there could be a justification for a PRIV2. They did bother to develop and release the Motion after all, and surely sales for that model can't have exceeded PRIV sales. Probably not even close.

...As long as PRIV fans would be OK with flagship pricing running a 660 with 433ppi LCD screen...
    the_boon likes this.
    06-08-18 12:50 PM
    (Symbian even *LOL*)
    Ah right, I forgot the Nokia 9000 Communicator.

Boy, I'm showing my age.
    06-08-18 12:51 PM
    Depending on what TCL's definition of success is, there could be a justification for a PRIV2. They did bother to develop and release the Motion after all, and surely sales for that model can't have exceeded PRIV sales. Probably not even close.

...As long as PRIV fans would be OK with a 660 and 433ppi LCD screen...
    Anything is an upgrade from an 808, lol. Heck I'd even settle for an SD450, 4/32. As long as it runs Android One.
    06-08-18 12:52 PM
    Anything is an upgrade from an 808, lol. Heck I'd even settle for an SD450, 4/32. As long as it runs Android One.
    And for what price?
    06-08-18 12:53 PM
    The last dozen posts with the last three posters is why a PRIV2 is down the road if ever. (Nothing against these posters, you’ve all been around long time and more knowledgeable than me.)

Simple that slabs are used portrait or landscape interchangeable. Nobody thinks of rotation of screen. PKBs are 99% portrait. That’s just how they’ve always pretty much been.

Slider has to be portrait or landscape. It brings additional variables to sales equation because of sales fragmentation. Simply put, BBMo has to sell as many of single PKB device to as many people that will settle on single form, style factor and size factor.
    By the middle you mean fixed pkb I guess (like the key 1/2)? And yes agree, except on the last part. That is why I many posts above suggested to make one physical device, that with different backs could be like a Motion, Priv and a landscape slider in one. This will reduce their development costs.
    06-08-18 12:56 PM
    By the middle you mean fixed pkb I guess (like the key 1/2)? And yes agree, except on the last part. That is why I many posts above suggested to make one physical device, that with different backs could be like a Motion, Priv and a landscape slider in one. This will reduce their development costs.
    As much I don't mind a thicker device (if it also means a bigger battery) via a modular design, it's a tough sell to the mass market today.
    06-08-18 01:01 PM
    And for what price?
    I'd pay up to a KEYone's price.
    06-08-18 01:03 PM
    I believe problem is actual parts costs and lack of carrier demand. BBMo is using actual sales data as best as possible from BB and carriers to decide what to make and how to make. This isn’t about sales possibilities, it’s about sales probabilities. More importantly, the carriers are going to ultimately tell BBMo what they’ll buy and how much they’ll buy. If small batch manufacturing like KEYone and Motion, that really kills a slider from cost perspective due to so many additional manufacturing variables.
    06-08-18 01:09 PM
    I believe problem is actual parts costs and lack of carrier demand. BBMo is using actual sales data as best as possible from BB and carriers to decide what to make and how to make. This isn’t about sales possibilities, it’s about sales probabilities. More importantly, the carriers are going to ultimately tell BBMo what they’ll buy and how much they’ll buy. If small batch manufacturing like KEYone and Motion, that really kills a slider from cost perspective due to so many additional manufacturing variables.
    Well aside from the Priv's abysmal sales, I don't think they have much data to work with in terms of the slider form factor.
    06-08-18 01:14 PM
    Well aside from the Priv's abysmal sales, I don't think they have much data to work with in terms of the slider form factor.
    Right or wrong, that’s going to hurt slider chances. Some decision maker on the carrier side probably doesn’t want to risk job. Somebody on the BBMo side isn’t going to be much different with factory unlocked if there’s no better data on the BB side.
    06-08-18 01:20 PM
    Exactly, there haven't been a slider with top range specs since the Sony Ericsson Pro variant of the Neo back in 2011...

Back then they released four devices that specwise were close to identical except for the size (same pixel count even). The Neo was the standard, the Ray that was the compact, and the Arc was considered absurdly humongous when it was released, now it with its 63mm would be seen as an ultra compact *LOL*. The 'Pro' was the keyboard slider version of the Neo.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone3=3972

Note that the pro is only half a mm thicker than the Neo - and its with the same battery - pretty impressive!!!! (though the back of the Neo was curved, and the Pro flat)
    06-08-18 01:31 PM
    Right or wrong, that’s going to hurt slider chances. Some decision maker on the carrier side probably doesn’t want to risk job. Somebody on the BBMo side isn’t going to be much different with factory unlocked if there’s no better data on the BB side.
    Well that's an impasse isn't it. If there's no product, then no sales, thus no sales data. And there is no product because there's no sales data...
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-08-18 01:47 PM
    Well that's an impasse isn't it. If there's no product, then no sales, thus no sales data. And there is no product because there's no sales data...
    Which is how we end up with thousands of variants from last ten years that look just like my flat screen TV and flat screen Monitors just smaller. That’s why I’m rooting for BBMo to succeed.
    06-08-18 02:02 PM
    Love my Priv and may buy another just in case. Having the big screen is pointless if it is covered by a virtual KB all the time.
    I would definitely love to see a Priv2 and ran into someone at the bar a couple months ago that said KeyTwo and Priv2 were in development. He was right about KeyTwo. Fingers crossed.
    Funny thing is lately I have had so many people asking me about my awesome phone and how they have to have one. Also remember ppl are jumping ship from apple and are suddenly open to other things
    Sigewif likes this.
    06-08-18 08:53 PM
    Oh yeah, I would love a PRIV 2.
    But I also have a #Q10 which makes me think if the BlackBerry (TCL) can release a new phone which is smaller and have a PKB. Answer is already in the market. I just told my opinion.

BlackBerry Q10
    06-09-18 12:40 AM
    Oh yeah, I would love a PRIV 2.
    But I also have a #Q10 which makes me think if the BlackBerry (TCL) can release a new phone which is smaller and have a PKB. Answer is already in the market. I just told my opinion.

BlackBerry Q10
    A 5-year old double-typing POS from a dead division using a dead system only being sold as sketchy refurbs is not called "in the market".
    the_boon and pdr733 like this.
    06-09-18 06:46 AM
    The Q10 and BB10 failed
    the_boon and pdr733 like this.
    06-09-18 08:47 AM
    A 5-year old double-typing POS from a dead division using a dead system only being sold as sketchy refurbs is not called "in the market".
    How do you really feel?
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-09-18 08:48 AM
    How do you really feel?
    Just speaking his language... deciding to bring up a failed system and spurring off topic, lol.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-09-18 09:22 AM
    How do you really feel?
    What is it the aPple freaks always says to any critique: He is just envious because he cannot afford one.
    06-09-18 10:54 AM
    Sorry about that.. What I should have mentioned was the Key2. (Which is in the markets right now) Also I forgot to add more details such as OS. So an android device small enough with a PKB and is not a slider. (PRIV is huge as per my own experience)

BlackBerry Q10
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-09-18 12:36 PM
    I would love a Blackberry Pirv 2...
    06-09-18 12:37 PM
    Would buy a PRIV 2. My PRIV is still a great phone. KEYone is too but I miss the bigger brighter screen and the hideaway keyboard.
    06-09-18 12:44 PM
    Sorry about that.. What I should have mentioned was the Key2. (Which is in the markets right now) Also I forgot to add more details such as OS. So an android device small enough with a PKB and is not a slider. (PRIV is huge as per my own experience)

BlackBerry Q10
    The Key2 is same dimensions as KEYone for mass volume purposes. The device has to be optimal size to result in largest probable sales for a single device. Fragmentation of the PKB marketplace just results in no PKB devices. Screen has to be large enough to compete with VKB while overall size needs to be no bigger than most common VKB. The device is roughly size of 5.5” exterior with 4.5” screen.
    06-09-18 12:49 PM
    What about a new Torch? Same form factor but Android? Thise phones felt great in the hand and were amazing to type on even though they had tiiiny keyboards.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    06-09-18 12:53 PM
891 ... 23456 ...